Is SWTOR dying?

Turlinde

I know I canceled my sub over a week back (have a few more days of time purchased) and haven't even had an inkling of desire to hop back on and play. The leveling process was decent for an MMO but at max level I felt a drastic drop off of direction, content and dev attention. There were a lot of bugs and exploits and most importantly the gameplay really brought nothing new to the table. I think that was the big thing for me: Completely recycled gameplay. The classes and mechanics were ripped almost skill for skill from other MMO's meaning this felt like a rehash of a rehash as far as mechanics were concerned. All the story and the voice acting in the world aren't going to fix the fact that I felt bored and like I'd "been there, done that" while playing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posts are disappearing left and right

i like the game but that kind of behavior makes me seriously consider switching when the chance arrives. censoring the name of an upcoming competitor everyone already knows about? comon Bioware, you're better than that.

LOL @ all the people who feel this game is fine.. I'm sorry but this game is a huge pile of garbage and truth is it's already DEAD. It was the moment it was released with Ilum in it's current state. I'm in the GW2 beta and I know it's not perfect but it's 100X better then SWTOR and it's not even released yet.

SWTOR = EPIC FAIL Leroy Jenkins style!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU

Watch the video for Leroy Jenkins, basically this is a perfect representation of the Devs at bioware. They have a game they want to make but it has tons of bugs AKA "eggs" and Leroy is the production lead for PVP and what they need is "money". The number crunch is "game metrics"

When Leroy runs in that represents release the of SWTOR!

lol at all the chicken littles who think the sky is falling but keep playing and just whine on forums.

yes it is... due to rush to launch with poor pvp, no bounty huntin system , ilum lag and 3Wz.

I got a week or so before my sub expired then Im out. I dont feel any tempting to come back here.

Im checkin out DominusTheGame. it got bounty hunting system, and deathblow. You can be ranged or melee. no hybrid. I dont minded the graphic as long as good pvp and bhunting system. Im all about pvp , deathblow and bounty hunting system.

uh oh.... you said the name of another game... be ready for a warning lol

Its in the blog post where he got the numbers, hello read much? Read the graphs and they tell you where the sources came from.

Awsome it's in his blog post my bad i just saw that. hold on give me 3 hours and i'll make a blog post that sayd there 2 billion people playing SWTOR does that mean it's true.

He seems like one of those people who only trusts "internal metrics" that Bioware exclusively has.

i don't trust any metrics. the only people that actually know how many people play are the accounting people for BW.

My server has gone from 150 people on fleet during prime time to ~80. It was a high pop queue-to-get-in server at launch.

And my experience is the one that is more common. Enjoy your server while you can.

Oh wait, you're on the Empire side right? Of course you are.

lol every single post you make is sarcastic/whiney/full of tears so anything from you i'll just disreguard as more whiney BS... but thanks...

There are an awful lot of people who aren't having fun playing this game.

I've never understood why people will play a games they aren't having fun playing.

For me it boils down to a boredom issue. Nothing else out right now interests me. That isn't saying TOR is a great game. Its saying that TOR is the only left that I have not played as far passed the boredom threshold. Now that will change soon since I'm doing an upgrade and will be able to play BF3, still running XP, so I might vanish then. Also the new Total War game is coming out in March. However, until then?

If you don't notice the decrease in people then you are dillusional or don't want to admit that the game is already on the decline.

There's MANY reasons why this game is already losing players:

High rez textures that are advertised by Bioware are not in the game and may never be.

Performance issues in WZ's and on Ilum even with people that have very high end rigs.

You run the same FP's again and again...HM is almost identical to FP on normal except bosses have enrage timers (no different tactics)

Too much frustrating CC which is THE worst in huttball due to the map setup.

Imperials outnumber Republic on most servers and this will probably continue to be the case.

The numerous bugs...Bioware releases a patch only to break something else or the patch doesn't fix what it said it was suppose to fix to begin with.

Too many sorcerers, commandos, and sages. These classes need adjusting badly (noticed I said "adjusting" NOT nerfed).

No REAL world PVP.

The lack of features. No combat logs, guild banks, three WZ maps, etc. Sure they are adding stuff in March, but it may be too late for that.

I don't think I need to continue. With Tera, GW2 and Diablo 3 coming soon, this game is going to see an even bigger dive in subs. GW2 had 1million beta signups alone.

I am only playing this game until GW2 comes out, then i'm gone...Guild Master or not.

Now that will change soon since I'm doing an upgrade and will be able to play BF3, still running XP, so I might vanish then.

Don't get too hyped about BF3. It's good (really it is) but at this point you've got some what of a long, slow grind of unlocks to do before you won't get your butt handed to you constantly

If you don't notice the decrease in people then you are dillusional or don't want to admit that the game is already on the decline.

There's MANY reasons why this game is already losing players:

High rez textures that are advertised by Bioware are not in the game and may never be.

Performance issues in WZ's and on Ilum even with people that have very high end rigs.

You run the same FP's again and again...HM is almost identical to FP on normal except bosses have enrage timers (no different tactics)

Too much frustrating CC which is THE worst in huttball due to the map setup.

Imperials outnumber Republic on most servers and this will probably continue to be the case.

The numerous bugs...Bioware releases a patch only to break something else or the patch doesn't fix what it said it was suppose to fix to begin with.

Too many sorcerers, commandos, and sages. These classes need adjusting badly (noticed I said "adjusting" NOT nerfed).

No REAL world PVP.

The lack of features. No combat logs, guild banks, three WZ maps, etc. Sure they are adding stuff in March, but it may be too late for that.

I don't think I need to continue. With Tera, GW2 and Diablo 3 coming soon, this game is going to see an even bigger dive in subs. GW2 had 1million beta signups alone.

I am only playing this game until GW2 comes out, then i'm gone...Guild Master or not.

Ok seriously, WOW was no were near this good when it was first released. WOW took 7 years to get to its current state of functionality. You can't expect SWTOR to be at the same tech level as WOW after being released only 2 Months ago. YES it has only been 2 Months since release.

The staff is making changes, fixing issues and adding more content, but it all takes time. 6 Months from now the game will be in a better position than in its current state.

I love when people whip out the XFire stats like they mean something.

The only people that run XFire are the ADD types that jump from game to game. "Normal" MMO players don't use that program at all. So of course every single trend for every single game on that service shows a downward spiral.

Ok seriously, WOW was no were near this good when it was first released. WOW took 7 years to get to its current state of functionality. You can't expect SWTOR to be at the same tech level as WOW after being released only 2 Months ago. YES it has only been 2 Months since release.

The staff is making changes, fixing issues and adding more content, but it all takes time. 6 Months from now the game will be in a better position than in its current state.

You arent comparing TOR to WoW 2004. Your comparing TOR to WoW 2012 with the added bonus of a $200 million budget that seems to have evaporated into thin air. The content they have released now is insufficient

The problem that a lot of these MMO companies don't seem to comprehend when they have your attitude is they aren't competing with WoW 7 years ago. They're competing with WoW now.

As soon as the MMO developers learn that and release a polished game on it's release, then we'll see an MMO that can hold it's own.

Until that happens, when MMOs are released with bugs and exploits and they aren't hot fixed same day, people are going to look at WoW and go "Why shouldn't I be playing that again?"

Don't get me wrong, I'm done with WoW and I hope this game removes it's head from it *** fast and can at least retain subscribers. But, the article is write: First impressions are everything. If you lose your initial player base in that first month it's really difficult to recover.

Can I just stop and point out the fact that this thread hasn't been deleted and what that implies about moderator presence on the pvp boards? Kudos, BW.

There have been multiple posts removed from this thread over the last hour or so, they are watching don't worry.

I'm not sure why you think a thread discussing the issues that Bioware has to address should be deleted.

Edited by Ultratron

You arent comparing TOR to WoW 2004. Your comparing TOR to WoW 2012 with the added bonus of a $200 million budget that seems to have evaporated into thin air. The content they have released now is insufficient

Why ppl keep trying to use the tired excuse of WoW wasn't this goo at launch, is just silly.

Like you rightfully pointed out...it's 2012. You don't open up a store and expect to steal wal marts market share with the excuse of "well we are much better then when wal mart first opened"... AND. So go to the turd store that offers the same prices yet less quantity and quality because it just opened its doors? I don't think so.

the PVE leveling was way to fast over and done.

As a PVP game it is no fun to do hutball for 2 months.

the bigges flaws for me are:

- stunlock is not the way

- box camping on ilum is bad game design

for me it is clear that some ppl have no clue at what they where doiing.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out the population is decreasing and the pvp queues are increasing.

Me along with my core group of 16 players are finding ourselves logging in less and less and looking for upcoming games. It isn't because we didn't enjoy SWTOR, it is because we're already sick of the game. There is absolutely nothing to do that has not been grinded out, and the population is so pathetic now that the game feels empty. It is no fun PvPing with and against the same people every single game. And as a republic who likes to play on friday and saturday nights, it is a joke that at 10pm our server could not field a full 8v8 warzone game.

You can defend BW, you can defend the game simply because you're a SW enthusiast... but do not bull**** yourself into thinking this game isn't already in a steady decline.

The sad thing is.. I'm not even sure if they can recover in time. Unless they already have huge plans to release a load of end game content.. this game will be dead within two months. I highly doubt they can considering they release the smallest patches of any MMO development team I have ever seen.

Edited by Tenzoo

Why ppl keep trying to use the tired excuse of WoW wasn't this goo at launch, is just silly.

Like you rightfully pointed out...it's 2012. You don't open up a store and expect to steal wal marts market share with the excuse of "well we are much better then when wal mart first opened"... AND. So go to the turd store that offers the same prices yet less quantity and quality because it just opened its doors? I don't think so.

But you also can't just open a store with 7 years of experience, goods, etc... it doesn't work that way. A business/MMO cannot come out the gate with years of goods/content/customers, etc...

You must compare at launch to at launch... It's pretty much impossible to have as much content as a 7 year old game the day you start and if you did people would be so overwhelmed with no idea where to go and what to do it just wouldn't be fun for anyone. Not to mention, so WoW has 7 years of content right? How much of that is still being played right now? I mean, everyday all the time, how many guilds still run Molten Core? Blackwing Lair, AQ, Naxx... none. They are dead, out of date raids. How many TBC and WOTLK heroics are being run... few if any at all. It's all dead content. You can't compare... it's just idle dead content that isn't being used except by a few people for fun. Did you wan't BW to put in 15 to 20 low level raids, heroics, etc... so we can run them for fun when we outlevel them so you can get your WoW outdated useless content fix...

They are working on all of the PvP content everyone is complaining about and fixing all of the other issues. I think people just expect too much from new MMOs. Go play any other new MMO at launch, they will never, I repeat never have all of their features implemented. Maybe it's laziness, maybe it's just the fact that the devs don't want to miss that perfect launch window. Whatever it is, people just need to stop expecting everything and more from a brand new MMO out the gate.

In my opinion, based on what I recall from 7 years ago and from last I played WoW around 3 months or so ago this game similarly has tons of quests, a decent amount of FP's, BG's, etc... the content is entertaining enough to me to stick around. WoW on the other hand had grown extremely stale and boring. Maybe it's new game wow, maybe it's that I just actually enjoy this game. But I do enjoy it and that's all that matters to me. If you guys don't maybe it's time to move on...

I love when people whip out the XFire stats like they mean something.

The only people that run XFire are the ADD types that jump from game to game. "Normal" MMO players don't use that program at all. So of course every single trend for every single game on that service shows a downward spiral.

As long as they compare the numbers to other xfire numbers it's a valid comparison.

Saying "we (XFire) have never seen an MMO drop off this fast" is perfectly valid.

Does that mean that SWTOR is dying? Well that's a much harder extrapolation to make. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

TOR will continue to limp along for another year or so I think, but the lack of community feeling in the game will be its death.

I agree with this. Game pops fluctuate heavily after launches. News at 11.

However, even if BW puts out the best content ever, it will still be missing a strong community feel. This game barely has any sense of community at all. Granted, I really like my guildmates, but that's because we chat in Vent and do stuff together where we can talk it up. The lack of in-game voice chat between players in Party or Ops really hurts this game, as well as the complete lack of Server Forums.