Is SWTOR dying?

Turlinde

Every game that has done it, it was a signal of death.

It's also a signal that they created too many servers and the population has spread too thin... which is possibly the case, as my server has been seeing an increase in population (at least during my playtimes). From that I can extrapolate that either the game is gaining subs... or people are migrating to busier servers... not necessarily a sign of doom and gloom as people would have you believe.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn right I'll praise Tera for what I have seen it do right, so far. The combat system is excellent, imo. Fantastic fluid animations, sound effects, and combos make it more engaging then simply clicking buttons and abilities at random through a clunky interface like ToR's.

The interface was smooth and responsive and I experienced no lag what-so-ever and this is in the games beta. I got to partake in a little open world pvp between guilds (probably 20v20) and there was no lag and the frames didn't drop. (not surprised as it's using the proven Unreal engine)

Haven't experienced first hand what the game offers as far as end game, PvP, BG's, Arena, etc. but I do know they've gotten the simple fundamentals of combat right.

I played the TERA beta this past weekend as well. Amazing looking and well optimized game. While playing it I thought about how great it would be if SWTOR had these graphics and combat system. BW should hire more Koreans! Because they really know how to make a good looking and smooth running game.

TERA is a too cutesie for me. But I did have fun and I'm considering picking it up when it launches.

If the game is losing subscriptions then a server merge is actually the best option to stop that trend... if that is what's happening, which I'm not saying is, because my server has actually gained population if anything...

Actually a good point, unfortunately once the community and press hears server merge it leads to a fire sell... Like others said, all that have done it, usually fall off the map...

Not sure why some are getting so bent out of shape over this. Why would anyone take it personal and why would any of us want the game to fail?

I love Star Wars, I love mmo's, and I love PvP. Apparently these 3 don't all mix well with each other, at least in this point of time. BW got there chance....and failed....and the community has spoken with their wallets as it's always been.

Merging servers won't stop it. It's not the people leaving that made people quit, it's the low quality of an overhyped game that really does nothing special.

I don't feel the game was overhyped or is low quality... yes it has it's issues, but it's quite enjoyable and playable. Your mileage may vary, thats fine, but if you don't enjoy it or think it's worth it I would recommend playing something else. Those of us that enjoy the game will be here when you come back. Why people actually get into games the first few months when it's pretty much guaranteed to be a cluster is beyond me...

I don't get it. TERA is a done deal. You can buy it right now if you want. Servers open in April.

NCSoft is taking them to court over the fact that 90% of it (at least) is stolen property. The law doesn't care if you have a launch date.

I don't feel the game was overhyped or is low quality... yes it has it's issues, but it's quite enjoyable and playable. Your mileage may vary, thats fine, but if you don't enjoy it or think it's worth it I would recommend playing something else. Those of us that enjoy the game will be here when you come back. Why people actually get into games the first few months when it's pretty much guaranteed to be a cluster is beyond me...

This game was hyped as a "revolutionary MMO" by devs and fans alike. It's low quality because it's another WoW clone that isn't even up to WoW's standards.

I don't think SWTOR is dying but the average community member of this game is absolutely terrible which does nothing to help the PVP situation.

Dying? No. Suffering from HIV, yes. Some experts are saying half of the 1.7 million are gone. No game has ever lost subs that fast. No one knows because Bio won't tell us, that should tell us...

My old server went from 120ish on in the fleet at peak to about 25. Sever died and died fast. New one I'm on is doing a lot better but even it is going down it seems.

I go when my friends go. I'm down to 4 with active subs. I started with upwards of 40 guildies that I've known for 6ish years. They all quit fast, before first renewal. I don't take it that serious as money isn't an issue and I have fun occasionally.

I have just loged into Tomb of Freedon Nadd. It is 23.50 in Poland now. 194 players on the Republic Fleet, and this is not a peak time. So, either your definition of primetime is way different than mine or you are straight lying.

Is this less than 400? Yes it is. But I dont know if it was 400 in the first place, and as I said, 23.50, monday evening is not a primetime, server load is heavy, during weekend I saw it reached full at least once.

I was checking right now indeed. Normally it's around 120-150 at this hour. I said around 100. So my point remains, and yes, it was 400, and we had more than 2k on queue, not just full, but queue.

So yes the population had dropped, a lot. It's something common, and i didn't say it means this server is dead, i just said this is the most populated EU server so you can take as example how the population has decreased.

Yes, the game is dying.

I'm on Swiftsure and PvP play on Ilum and Warzones is declining. Once BW opens the Oceanic PvP server(s) it might get even worse.

I believe many players are fed up with the poor economy. Knowing BW has done nothing to punish players who exploited the game for millions of credits, Rakata & BattleMaster gear just makes it worse.

Then you consider the non-existent customer service.

It's pretty clear BW is going to slow release features which should already be part of the game.

If it were not for my guild mates, I don't think I'd be playing much swtor.

BW better have a pretty significant patch in March or I think things are going to get much worse.

Yes, the game is dying.

I'm on Swiftsure and PvP play on Ilum and Warzones is declining. Once BW opens the Oceanic PvP server(s) it might get even worse.

I believe many players are fed up with the poor economy. Knowing BW has done nothing to punish players who exploited the game for millions of credits, Rakata & BattleMaster gear just makes it worse.

Then you consider the non-existent customer service.

It's pretty clear BW is going to slow release features which should already be part of the game.

If it were not for my guild mates, I don't think I'd be playing much swtor.

BW better have a pretty significant patch in March or I think things are going to get much worse.

Can they patch npc's in that come off as real players...

Sometimes I see ppl with the Huttball refusing to pass even as they are being focused and u think...yep that's a bioware planted npc/player

Edited by Irishbrewed

If you're an American on The Swiftsure or The Harbringer just save yourself the stress and /unsub now.

Half the pop will be leaving to the new Aus servers next week, and the swiftsure and the harbringer will become ghost towns overnight :(

yet another brilliant bw decision....pick a server, give half the people on the server the option to transfer off to another server, and ignore the half remaining......gj failware

Edited by Evuke

BW's biggest problem is the horrible optimization when you have many players on screen. It really lags any computer. Doesn't look like gw2 will have that problem. BW probably should have better optimized their game or develop their own engine cause right now the game limitation is the code or game engine that limits the game to small groups. I get a lot of lag in warzones when everone is pvp in the same area. This is probably a problem too in raids if BW plans to have large raids than currently or wants large scale pvp it won't happen with the way the game is running. Edited by Knockerz

If you're an American on The Swiftsure or The Harbringer just save yourself the stress and /unsub now.

Half the pop will be leaving to the new Aus servers next week, and the swiftsure and the harbringer will become ghost towns.

Next week I'll be playing Mass Effect 3 and when I'm done I guess I'll evaluate the future of SWTOR.

I thought there might be a large body of Oceanic which might stay to keep the server well populated, but given the number of people quitting the game, swiftsure has already declined to normal status.

Edited by ShadowAxx

Next week I'll be playing Mass Effect 3 and when I'm done I guess I'll evaluate the future of SWTOR.

I thought there might be a large body of Oceanic which might stay to keep the server well populated, but given the number of people quitting the game, swiftsure has already declined to normal status.

i was asking in general and every single one of the oceanic crew that replied was moving to the new server apart from one guy who said "i'll stay if this server has more pop but i'll go if the other server has more pop, because mmo's are all about pop"

he was spot on too and i can't blame him, unfortunately we're stuck here though :(

I believe its dying because there is not enough "War" in the Star Wars.

They bet on the wrong pillar, story is not enough, game play is king.

Also Bounty Hunter and Smugglers should have been their own faction.

Total agreement. Three factions would have helped world pvp...well...in theory at least. But they still would have needed some kind of system aside from the mess that is ilum.

And it didnt take me long to get sick of constant dialogue. Its almost worse than quest text...i only do class missions now. I just cant stand being assaulted with hundreds of uninteresting missions on every planet.

Honestly if they just fixed warzone lag, well i wouldnt change my opinion of the game, but id at least be playing it.

Ive literally never made so many bug reports as i have in the past month of swtoe gameplay.

I remember very clearly before release, telling the angry mob population who DEMANDED that the game be released right away unfinished that we should wait. As I was a BETA tester and I knew it was not quite ready.

I wonder where those people are now? As they of course promised that they would play it even if it had bugs.

I am not going anywhere. But hey, I am an SWG player, I am used to playing MMOs with problems. :)

Don't get too hyped about BF3. It's good (really it is) but at this point you've got some what of a long, slow grind of unlocks to do before you won't get your butt handed to you constantly

Yeah I know I've got a terrible beating to go through but this is the first BF game I've been late to the party for and feel the need to make up for it. No matter how painful it is.

As far as those saying we should compare TOR to WoW at launch...

I don't think it is fair to TOR to compare the launch state of the two. First of all, it took me months to get to the endgame in WoW and I played a lot more then than I do now. TOR? Less than a month. WoW may not have had instanced pvp matches but it did have an active world-pvp community. I would spend hours in the trenches between TM and SS or join one of the raids attacking enemy cities and towns. TOR? Yikes, probably shouldn't go there.

WoW even had multiple zones sharing similar level ranges so if I didn't feel like leveling in one place there was a whole other continent I could go to. TOR? Ugh... Not to mention that BioWare took six years, had over eight hundred people, and spent almost two hundred million dollars making this game. Blizzard? Yeah... Not so much.

Yes WoW had a variety of technical issues for the first few months. Yet even when they doubled up the realm count on the servers I still wanted to keep playing. TOR? Well, also, not so much. So, again, I don't think its fair to TOR to compare the launch state of the two because TOR just doesn't hold up all that well compared to the massive draw that WoW had.

So lets not bother comparing TOR to the WoW of today, even though that is the competition this game actually has. TOR doesn't even hold up all that well against WoW of 2004.