So Tired Of Pretending...

Tadshackles

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had minimal expectations, having done no research, and having not played an MMO since WAR well over a year ago; I was still disappointed.

I think the key is that I haven't been playing WoW, so I'm not relieved to finally be out of the POS it sounds like it's become; I left that over five years ago, when it was obviously the direction they were heading in, starting with BC.

Edited by Ansultares

I was seriously expecting a Rickroll to a HEART lovesong from the 80's. Was disappointed in that respect.

But I hear you OP. Having a grand old time. Still hoping to recustomize my character's faces but, what are ya gonna do. I don't play a game if I'm not having fun with it so right there with ya.

Once it becomes more than a never-ending epeen grindfest for gear, the game will come into its own. For now, it's story and Huttball. [Like an accident, I know I shouldn't [look] but I can't stop playing Huttball...it has me in its grasp] :o

Good post OP. I took my time with SWTOR, did not run out the first day it launched. I waited for the reviews to roll in, both by game websites and players. Also watched countless youtube videos. Did not start this account until the 4th of February.

Will be here for at least 3 months (Free month + 2 month game card), so far enjoying the game and is also the first time I am actually involved and enjoying the storyline cause if these quests were all text based, I would just hit "accept" and move on so in the latter case Bioware succeeded.

This game doesn't have the soul required to topple WoW.

You sir, seem to be well balanced and rational, I vote you for President:)

Yeah, I really enjoy this game, it's cool but let's not get carried away. This game may oneday topple WOW, possibly patch 8.4

Signed. (Obviously not a fanboy)

When I heard about SWTOR and watched the pilots I was sort of excited about the story but mostly I was expecting a giant pile of disappointment. I have tried every MMO that has come along in the last few years always expecting something so good that I could quit the colostomy bag that is WoW... I tried FFO and it was awful. I tried Aion and while a neat concept and decent graphics, was WAAAAY too grindy and lacked immersion. Then I tried DCUO and it was fun for about 8 days, I leveled to max in days and enjoyed modding my gear for a couple days but then was quickly turned off as the replayability was god awful and the graphics were too cartoony... Then I played Rift, It was good... In fact it was almost perfect, except I always felt like I was just a guy playing a game, I never fell into it so I quit that too. Skyrim was a nice distraction but hardly a replacement for a MMO.

So when I purchased SWTOR you can imagine how low I had the bar held... I was hoping for at least 2 weeks of enjoyment before going back to the World of Free Loot and wait around for china pandas...

I was pleasantly surprised!

SWTOR was not at all what I expected. I love it. I cancelled my WoW account and have not looked back. This game, for me, is the 'WoW Killer'.

So for all the people posting about their hate towards this game I hope that this post rings true for a lot of you too.

that wasn't very nice i was looking forward to the outrageous doom and gloom post to tickle my funny bone , you sir or ma'am made me smile but dissapointed me by not giving me something so retarded to laugh at o well ,good post now off to the dumber then dirt posts to whittle away the time till work ends

@OP; No you're not tired of pretending, in fact, you've just begun pretending. :)

No, I love the game a lot but it doesn't have the potential to be THE mmo most of us veterans have been expecting. I'm still looking forward to the point where it gets great on its own terms and not another huge grindfest.

SWTOR was not at all what I expected. I love it. I cancelled my WoW account and have not looked back. This game, for me, is the 'WoW Killer'.

So for all the people posting about their hate towards this game I hope that this post rings true for a lot of you too.

I'm glad others are enjoying the game. I love it. I look forward to all the lovely things in this game's future.

When I heard about SWTOR and watched the pilots I was sort of excited about the story but mostly I was expecting a giant pile of disappointment. I have tried every MMO that has come along in the last few years always expecting something so good that I could quit the colostomy bag that is WoW... I tried FFO and it was awful. I tried Aion and while a neat concept and decent graphics, was WAAAAY too grindy and lacked immersion. Then I tried DCUO and it was fun for about 8 days, I leveled to max in days and enjoyed modding my gear for a couple days but then was quickly turned off as the replayability was god awful and the graphics were too cartoony... Then I played Rift, It was good... In fact it was almost perfect, except I always felt like I was just a guy playing a game, I never fell into it so I quit that too. Skyrim was a nice distraction but hardly a replacement for a MMO.

So when I purchased SWTOR you can imagine how low I had the bar held... I was hoping for at least 2 weeks of enjoyment before going back to the World of Free Loot and wait around for china pandas...

I believe this post kinda describes the issues most people have with this game also.

I did not expect that much of it either but ehj its Star Wars so you have to pre-order :p

And low and behold, i love the game also. WOW isn't on my PC anymore since the first days of Early access.

OTHER people though, hyped the game so fregging much that they expected some kind of ÜberMMO to swoop in and replace WOW with better graphics, better story, better animations, better combat, better PVP, better PVE, better immersion, better UI, better addons, better loadingtimes, better FPS, better openworld PVP, AND More Start Wars....

And they wonder why they are feeling dissapointed.

OP you just had to come into the forums and tell everyone that you love the game because as stated by the other fanboiz only haters come to the forums.

By their own words if you really loved the game you would never have came to the forums.

To answer the OP:

yes, for me too, SWTOR is the WoW killer.

Not because SWTOR is so much better than WoW, or because of has more end game options than WoW (in fact it has slightly less)

but because it is evolving and has potential to evolve, WoW has not anymore.

And above all because now that I've played SWTOR there are no going back to WoW for me.

I simply cant sub for WoW anymore, all my motivation for my WoW toons has dropped to zero. And I hate their lore, I've always hated it.

I haven't had high expectations for any game since SW:G. After that I took up a wait and see attitude. Try it for myself and make my own opinions and forget about the hype. Now I know it's quite easy to get caught up in the "It's gonna be soooooooo AWESOME!" wave but I avoid it.

Now I had 2 main reason why I left WoW:

1. Been looking for something new.
  2. Technical issues. (5000+ms Latency on Monday to Friday, Saturday & Sunday game works fine.)

When I downloaded the beta for this game it took me a week. I got in on the last evening of the last weekend beta testing. I was surprised how the game ran esp with how long it took me to download it. No latency issues, I got a craptastic PC and the game ran with little to no frame rate problems. After turning off shadows I had none. All in all I was able to determine it can run well and from what little I saw during beta I knew it was a great foundation for an MMO.

I chuckle. Foundation for an MMO. A lot of people do not get that's what a new MMO is. A foundation. We the players would give our opinions and suggestions and the game devs would see which would fit in their game vision. Even find a way to implement some that don't in a way that it does.

What they should not do is change the core design of a game. That's what SW:G did and lost most of what little loyal followers they had who liked the concept the way it was.

Bottom line is I'm having fun. THAT'S all that matters to me. I can see where the game can improve however it takes time to develop and implement such things. So I'll wait, continue enjoying the game and playing through ALL the class stories. If you don't... Why are you here?

I am not anti-SWTOR by anymeans and I will sub and continue to sub but .. I just dont get the feeling of addiction with SWTOR that I use to, I am not sure if it is my server, my guild or the game in total.

Addiction is bad. Play a game for a break and some R&R. do not let it take over your life.

Edited by DarthKhaos

Well guess its a WOW Killer for me as well as I refused to play WOW!

So TOR a step up! :)

Fact is I enjoy the game now for what it is, a single player RPG with some multiplayer (mostly 2 person multiplayer) optional content.

And thats perfectly alright and fine and quite enjoyable...

If it wasnt sold as a MMORPG and charging a monthly fee to play like a quality MMORPG.

I think my biggest complaint how ever is not the game, its the fanbase. Those people that think its hating to point out the many many issues and problems and oversights in this game.

Some where along the lines as the genre was dumbed down, the player base seems to have conformed into all or nothing mind sets where you have to either love everything about the game and the company that made it or you have to hate everything thing about the game and the company that made it.

For some insane reason modern gamers cant seem to accept there are people who can play the game, enjoy the game to a certain degree, but still see the many faults and point them out constantly until they get a official responce (some fanboi telling you to leave if you hate the game because they cant see outside black and white lines isnt actually a official or company responce).

This is a great single player RPG with some multiplayer optional content and im SO TIRED OF PRETENDING its anything but for those that cant read and understand computer gaming is not a all or nothing product and people can like some things while dislikeing other things about the product.

Anyone out there thinking of making a Single Player RPG, this is what we been asking for, 100s of hours of content, not 20 hours. Multiple storylines independant for each class. Superior Character Voice work. Heck, EA themselves should be looking at this so we never get another DA2 or 20 hour ME2 game.

Put this game out and then offer up the side quests as purchasable add ons and you got yourself a single player RPG Franchise.

But as a MMORPG, well, did I mention how great a single player RPG this is?

i love the game too but....

i want to see a good reason to revisit areas. Maybe a series of meta game's like creature handling in which you hunt for and tame a creature then eventually have it as a mount (dewbacks taun tauns ?)

maybe fishing > not my cup of tea but for some reason i have seen it in lots of MMO's and i have watched lots of poeple partake in it in games like everquest 2. Use the fish in crafting maybe ?

farming > i persoanlly wouldnt want to do it but it would add something more to crafting and maybe bonuses to crafting items ? (if people like that sort of thing)

crafting your own droid ( the equivalent of travelling around buying bits to make a astrotech droid)

random world events people can run up and take part in (like rift)

krayt dragons on tat ( make them hard to kill and make them drop nice loot)

TOR desperately needs people to have a reason to do things when you have finished your characters story arc. After PVPing and crafting a lot im looking for other things to do in game and im finding that im wanting more to do. Im sure some content will be added but i want a reason / reward to explore the worlds again. Maybe this time i will take more of the worlds content in if i have to search around it for something. Hitting the spacebar in flashpoints and looting , pvping , and crafting on a basic level can only interest people for so long.

Edited by Alpha-Llama

its surprising, 5 pages of positive reviews from players and i thought this game was the TORtanic (according to all the neg posts). Its really refreshing to see so much love for the game.

My experience is similar to that of others, played wow for a couple of years, started around beginning of LK. Was playing with a few long term internet buddies then cata came and destroyed my mmo experience, my friends left and i was on my own in a crappy snorefest.

So when SWTOR came out i thought it would re-ignite my mmo joy, it has to an extent i enjoyed the BH storyline and im waiting for the 1.2 patch before i make an alt.

The only neg i personally have is that im on a constant standard/heavy server yet i can never get a group to do HM's and ive been 50 for 2 weeks now, my guild never reply when i ask, so atm i log on, do space missions and log off.

really hope they implement a LFD tool just so i can get some gear.

I'm mostly enjoying the game and putting plenty of hours into it. Some of the bugs can be extremely annoying and reps always losing warzones makes me want to pull my hair out lol. But aside from that, I love the game, and all the doom and gloom posters can go back to whatever game they were playing because even if this game was perfect they would complain about something since they most likely had no intention of staying for the long run. Edited by Raansu

In forums, if you read them and believe them, there's only one alternative:

- being the WoW-killer, with at least 10 millions subs

or

- failing.

It doesnt work like that. I dont care if the game wont have 10 millions subs, I dont care if Koreans make not like it, ...

There are half a dozen MMOs on the market who dont have huge numbers but are very successful and enjoyable.

Though if BW play their card well, they can start gaining subs at some point again, if they managed to correct the obviously missing features and add new exiting content.

Funn my experience has been the complete oposite of OP which leads me to a few asumptions.

1. OP started as empire..

2. OP started as empire is currently playing empire..

I canceled my account after watching my nephew play empire. The amount of over all speedyness and synergy content, art were just really insanely above anything republic has.

Funn my experience has been the complete oposite of OP which leads me to a few asumptions.

1. OP started as empire..

2. OP started as empire is currently playing empire..

I canceled my account after watching my nephew play empire. The amount of over all speedyness and synergy content, art were just really insanely above anything republic has.

It's all personal preference. I started empire and then rolled a jedi alt while I waited for my friend to catch up to me...I ended up abandoning my empire character and made my jedi my main.

This game doesn't have the soul required to topple WoW.

Soul? Not the word I'd use with relation to WoW...more like "carrot and stick".

But I agree, this game is a good one but aside from the class stories, it's not giving me the "OMG, gotta log in right now and play" vibe that some others (not WoW) have had.

Or, could be I'm just jaded re: MMOs.