A Look At The Old Republic

CourtneyWoods

No, what I needed was for BioWare to not release a piece of crap, rushed, uninspired game. It's too late for redemption. It's 2012. We don't have years to wait for them to perfect it like we all did with WoW. It should have came out swinging, but instead it came out with voice-acting and very, very little in the way of fun gameplay.

The gaming community in this day-in-age is very unforgiving.

Why did we have years to wait for WoW to be polished after release, but now expect a new game to release without bugs?

I was unaware of the genetic breeding program that was slowly making the human race better and better at programming, and incapable of making mistakes.

The technology gets better, but so does the complexity of issues that can crop up with it.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was unaware of the genetic breeding program that was slowly making the human race better and better at programming, and incapable of making mistakes.

It's called experience.

Cars made in 2012 don't compete with cars made in 2004 no matter how new the car company is.

ehhh i turned it off after they started talking about world pvp considering i ran into a grand total of 4 enemies on my way to level 50 playing on the highest pop realm in tor

And I've run into around 25 or so (not counting the griefers I've avoided), and I've just hit lvl 35.

Funny how subjective online gaming can be huh?

Why did we have years to wait for WoW to be polished after release, but now expect a new game to release without bugs?

The technology gets better, but so does the complexity of issues that can crop up with it.

Again, it's not about the bugs. The bugs would be tolerable if there was something special to go along with it. It's not about downtime. It's about the lack of features. I think we're all willing to be patient, to an extent, but with all the bone-headed "design choices" they made.. can they really improve upon the fundamental skeleton of this game? In essence, fixing a bug in Tattooine can't bring an LFG, or smooth combat, or a fun PVP system, or a non-broken engine, can it? Do you know what I mean?

See, back in 2004 (by the way, what a terrible, terrible testament to this game that all anyone can do is compare it to an MMO released a decade ago.. seriously..) WoW was buggy, there was downtime, and there were many features lacking.. but you just knew there was something there.. something worth waiting for.

Fast-forward to 2012 and the release of ToR. No standard features. Man, I'm not even going to go any further. It's a useless discussion and the outcome is always the same. You understand what's going on whether you want to admit or not.

Very cool, it was nice to see high profile gamers like Burnie and Jack from Rooster Teeth voicing their opinions.

Yeah that surprised me, and it looks like Swifty has the TOR bug as well...the game keeps gaining cred despite the vocal minority or should I say vocal two.

It's called experience.

Cars made in 2012 don't compete with cars made in 2004 no matter how new the car company is.

Cars made in 2004 also don't have malfunctioning fingerprint ignition buttons, etc.

Experience can only fix things that have already been fixed, and even then, only if you are told/know how to fix it. The nature of the gaming industry as a competitive business means that two companies using the same game engine will not share patches and fixes with each other. Why help your competition? With a different engine, how can you use previous experience to improve when the issues are not the same?

Again, it's not about the bugs. The bugs would be tolerable if there was something special to go along with it. It's not about downtime. It's about the lack of features. I think we're all willing to be patient, to an extent, but with all the bone-headed "design choices" they made.. can they really improve upon the fundamental skeleton of this game? In essence, fixing a bug in Tattooine can't bring an LFG, or smooth combat, or a fun PVP system, or a non-broken engine, can it? Do you know what I mean?

See, back in 2004 (by the way, what a terrible, terrible testament to this game that all anyone can do is compare it to an MMO released a decade ago.. seriously..) WoW was buggy, there was downtime, and there were many features lacking.. but you just knew there was something there.. something worth waiting for.

Fast-forward to 2012 and the release of ToR. No standard features. Man, I'm not even going to go any further. It's a useless discussion and the outcome is always the same. You understand what's going on whether you want to admit or not.

They have a rudimentary LFG, and are implementing one more akin to what players are asking for. (or rather, what some players are asking for. There is a quite vocal "no cross server LFG!" group on the forums that feel it destroys community, so even the community cannot aggree on what "standard" features should be "standard".

They are making combat more fluid with fixes to global cooldown, and 1.2 contains a lot of animation fixes which the community has been asking for.

Their coders are also improving on the engine, and the issues causing FPS lag and memory leaks.

So yes, they can and will improve on all these things. If you can't have fun in the meantime, then wait and come back. Hopefully you'll enjoy it later. There should be plenty of cool games to occupy your attention in the meantime.

Special note to Sir Jef Dobson:

"People like what they've seen"

Not really Sir. While the environment settings are overall good in TOR your choice to make specific color setting for each planet does not compensates for the trade off being static day or night setting (ie. static world).

Then the choice of heroic proportions not only does not look that great but it makes characters looks a bit silly during cut scene and does not helps for immersion either. BTW the character creation choices are really lacking and some faces are atrocious at best.

Finally while most of the gear, but some ugly textures, is well designed, too many of them does look silly for a SW setting, this whatever the era. Special razzies for the PvP and end tier gear.

May I add that choosing specific colors for each classes, does not make them more iconic at all and without gear dyes and appearance tabs it makes all of us levelling as mismatched clowns or twins.

All in all graphics looks better and matches more the game setting in all others MMMO I played than TOR be it SWG, WoW, DDO, LotRo, EQII, WAR, AoC and Rift.

That's not even taking into account that all these engines crunches more polys than TOR with a higher FPS and wolrd much less instanced.

In short TOR graphics are overdone and did not deliver.

Hopefully all the above will be fixed soon™ enough.

Edited by Deewe

Nah, we expect the people in charge of doing that, to do that. However, it seems they're all on vacation and the community isn't getting any information. (Well, some, but not nearly close to enough.)

As if 95% of the community would even understand or comprehend what the bugs have to do with anyway. Their content/bug fix speed is decent, quit crying.

Screenshots taken from this past Sunday show the server population is very healthy.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=300191

are you trolling yourself Azzras? your pretty much first in for many of the hate threads, or jumping to praise.

what you linked doesn't really verify your point, but rather the opposite....most standard to light? and a couple days ago from torstatus where all but 2 except the lowest pop servers were in the red -x values??

I honestly think that it's an awesome game. I played WoW for 7 years. I picked this game up about 2 weeks after it came out; I haven't played WoW since. Now, this isn't just an "I am trying to escape WoW" attempt, it just isn't. I also tried rift, I didn't even make it past level 37 in that game. SWTOR has offered some very new concepts. Such as:

1.) All characters have companions

2.) Class quests

actually not new. that other game had class quests also not as many but it did.

3.) Every quest has a story line, choosing your responses (new to MMOs)

99% of the time whatever you pick doesnt matter, you will still end up with the same thing as someone who picked everything that you didnt.

4.) Having your own ship! ( I especially love this, I no longer have to dread 10 minute flights in WoW.)

So you think its better to have 6 min flights to every place you go then to have 1 min and 10 min flights

5.) Choosing your subclass (rift tried at this one, but it was way too complex and all of the sub-classes were similar)

6.) Flashpoints (though similar to dungeons, rolling for team responses to conversations make it a new concept.)

7.) Healing without mana as a resource (I absolutely LOVE healing on my bounty hunter!)

Changing mana to force or energy is the same thing. Its a bar that has regen in it that will determine how much healing you can do in a certain amount of time.

8.) Different group compositions (For instance, instead of needing 5 for a flashpoint, you only need 4.)

You think this is something new concept that must be listed have 4 people be a group instead of 5 OMG the genious who though of this must get a raise

9.) The ability to gear out your companions (try giving your boar in WoW a helmet)

10.) Shared quest loot! (I always level with my best friend Colt, it's such a relief that we don't have to farm for the quest loot twice as long!)

I could go on and on about what I love about this game, but in the interest of time and forum space I won't. It's a new game guys, sure it needs some polishing, but it's way better off than WoW was when it first came out! WoW didn't even have battlegrounds when it first came out. So instead of just attacking the game without explaining your reasoning, give their teams some positive criticism and ideas.

Its a new game that is a copy of a 8 year old game that is just as polished as that game was when it released even though it was released 8 years ago.

Still want to know why that he knew it was a sith just because he saw a red lightsaber.

Then at timestamp :28 they say its 5 am for prelaunch then scroll past a window with all these people up early in the morning Dec 13th ready for the game. If you didnt notice it was daylight outside. Another fail.

Edited by Emeda