Text-based questing

Hakkology

Dear Bioware;

You have done a great job with voice acting, its beatifully shaped.

However, at least %30 of these quests could be datapads or messages we get. Class quests + main side quest ( chain that never ends in a planet ) could be voiced, others, not necessary to voice at all.

We wouldn't have to space bar, you wouldn't have to pay money for voice acting.

At least for your future releases, consider this will you ?

Because reading has its own charm, RPG questing does not have to be like television.

Thank you.

Agreed. I want a "just shut up gimme the dang quest!" toggle in the menu. I don't care about the story, I don't care why you want me to kill 30 guys or collect 5 datapads, or bring you some medicine. I don't care, just shut up and give me the quest so I can go on about my business.

Agreed. I want a "just shut up gimme the dang quest!" toggle in the menu. I don't care about the story, I don't care why you want me to kill 30 guys or collect 5 datapads, or bring you some medicine. I don't care, just shut up and give me the quest so I can go on about my business.

Sounds like you're playing the wrong genre.

Dear Bioware;

However, at least %30 of these quests could be datapads or messages we get. Class quests + main side quest ( chain that never ends in a planet ) could be voiced, others, not necessary to voice at all.

Because reading has its own charm, RPG questing does not have to be like television.

Thank you.

Some of the quests are from datapads, others are from Mission boxes, and others just pop up when you are in an area meaning you don't even have to interact with anything. I don't know the exact percentage, but there are a bunch of them.

WRONG... im tired of reading quests on screen. I have books for that. What im still missing in game is more acting... atm those "actors" characters just stands and talk in 95% occasions. Would be nice to have them do some actions too.

Shining example of why the genre is going down the toilet.

"Give me what I want, when I want, how I want it and exactly as I asked so I can do as I please!"

No. Reading isn't hard.

Since the genre has never been this way before, what could you possibly be talking about?

MMORPG's have never had quests / missions where a backstory for why you were out collecting bear buttocks or wampa toes was part of receiving the quest / mission? That's news to me. I could have sworn that practically all MMORPGS told you -why- an NPC wanted you to do something. Guess you must be playing something different.

fixed.

^

Most MMOs are heavily text based. I personally enjoy the dialogue, though. I doubt BW would give players a "skip all cut scenes" button, though, because a large part of the game's length comes from the cut scenes. The Space Bar Warriors proved that when you dispense with the dialogue and cut scenes, leveling to 50 doesn't take all that long.

Sounds like you're playing the wrong genre.

No I thoroughly enjoy the genre. Up until now I could accept quests immediately and go about completing them. The text was there for me to read if I cared to or I could auto-accept and go complete them.

Different strokes for different folks.

This is the first game where I have to stop and wait for EVERY. SINGLE. QUEST. Even with spacebar spamming, I have to wait for the convo to start, spacebar through all the talking, choose 1-4 different decisions, space bar some more, and then I get the quest. It's overdone in this game. It wouldn't be bad if it was saved for special quests, but it's just exhausting to have to do that for every insignificant side quest.

You guys wanna watch the convos, more power to you. I just want an option to skip all that crap so I can get back to....playing the game.

I completely disagree. I don't mind the occasional text-based scene or quest but the biggest selling point with this game is the voice acting. Yes, all games don't need to have voice acting, but this one does and that's kinda the point. Some people don't enjoy it but I love it. That's why I'm still playing, for the storyline, chosen responses, and great voice acting. That's why I play Bioware games in general.

And those who want to skip the majority of the story, that's fine for you, but the entire game (or even a large portion of the game) shouldn't lack story and/or voice acting in the future just because you're not into the story. The story IS the game for this MMO. Personally, if you intend to skip the entire story and spam spacebar through everything, then perhaps a different game that doesn't put a huge emphasis on the story would be a better fit.

Edited by mithrril

No I thoroughly enjoy the genre. Up until now I could accept quests immediately and go about completing them. The text was there for me to read if I cared to or I could auto-accept and go complete them.

This is the first game where I have to stop and wait for EVERY. SINGLE. QUEST. Even with spacebar spamming, I have to wait for the convo to start, spacebar through all the talking, choose 1-4 different decisions, space bar some more, and then I get the quest. It's overdone in this game. It wouldn't be bad if it was saved for special quests, but it's just exhausting to have to do that for every insignificant side quest.

You guys wanna watch the convos, more power to you. I just want an option to skip all that crap so I can get back to....playing the game.

I agree that it's a bit overkill to have to go through every single line of dialogue. I fully disagree with the sentiment that was expressed than any reason for why you are doing something is pointless. If there's no valid impetus for the player to collect sarlacc tendons, they might as well be playing a sidescrolling platformer where collecting 100 coins somehow magically grants you an extra life.

The fact that there's a reason you're receiving a task is where the RPG portion of the game comes into play. If you don't want to play a role and not just be a mindless automaton out harvesting critter bits, then perhaps MMORPGs aren't the right genre.

Indeed, different strokes for different folks. I love the emphasis on story. Bioware advertised this game from the start as being a "story-based MMO," and they said it would emphasize the "4th pillar" of story to give the narrative a greater amount of focus than mechanics and grind.

I agree that it's a bit overkill to have to go through every single line of dialogue. I fully disagree with the sentiment that was expressed than any reason for why you are doing something is pointless. If there's no valid impetus for the player to collect sarlacc tendons, they might as well be playing a sidescrolling platformer where collecting 100 coins somehow magically grants you an extra life.

The fact that there's a reason you're receiving a task is where the RPG portion of the game comes into play. If you don't want to play a role and not just be a mindless automaton out harvesting critter bits, then perhaps MMORPGs aren't the right genre.

I've played plenty of other MMO's without giving a hoot about the story line and things were just peachy. For me, this game begins at level 50. 1-49 are just the same grind in this game as they are in any other MMO. They have been masked with voiceovers, but it's the same process. "Talk to guy, guys says he needs 10 thingys from the dangerous place, go get 10 thingys from the dangerous place, return to guy." The fact that the guy talks to you in a real voice doesn't change ANYTHING about the gameplay of the game.

I play MMO's for the gameplay not so I can know that a guy in this game ALSO needs 10 thingys from the dangerous place. Weird cause I seem to remember a guy in all those other MMO's who also needed 10 thingys from the dangerous place.

If this is your first MMO, I bet that the VO is pretty amazing. But if you've played MMOs before you've probably already heard every one of these quest stories before.

Go get me 10 thingys from the dangerous place.

No problem guy, but first I have to hit spacebar 50 times.

I've played plenty of other MMO's without giving a hoot about the story line and things were just peachy. For me, this game begins at level 50. 1-49 are just the same grind in this game as they are in any other MMO. They have been masked with voiceovers, but it's the same process. "Talk to guy, guys says he needs 10 thingys from the dangerous place, go get 10 thingys from the dangerous place, return to guy." The fact that the guy talks to you in a real voice doesn't change ANYTHING about the gameplay of the game.

I play MMO's for the gameplay not so I can know that a guy in this game ALSO needs 10 thingys from the dangerous place. Weird cause I seem to remember a guy in all those other MMO's who also needed 10 thingys from the dangerous place.

If this is your first MMO, I bet that the VO is pretty amazing. But if you've played MMOs before you've probably already heard every one of these quest stories before.

You Point out something fairly valid, that voice acting Ddoes not effect gameplay, I believe that is correct, however voice acting might influence the experience of the game.

The thing about TOR that has me hooked, is the feeling that we are dealing with real people with real problems, that we are facing an actual(although a bit static) world.

And thus it is no longer a matter of gathering "10 thingys" but rather about helping a man provide for his family, or perhaps winning an actual war by collecting the 10 thingys, so the focus is moved from the act of gathering the things, to the motive.

It seems by your statements that you want to get rid of VO in favor of quest/mob grinding in a race to get to end game. That's fine; however, that is not what Bioware has stated this game will be like. The point of VO is to try and engender a greater level of immersion in the game world. Instead of "kill 10 rats" purely for XP or a quest reward, it's "kill 10 womprats" because this NPC makes a special leather out of their hides. Oh and if you bring him the hides he will make you a Womprat Belt with +10 Endurance as a bonus! I realize that's not revolutionary, but to gamers who appreciate Bioware's reputation for excellent story-telling it is enjoyable to be drawn into the world and given some justification for your in-game actions.

Dear Bioware;

Thank you.

Isn't it refreshing to actually have animated discussion as opposed to walls of text. I am not sure that anyone given text in a quest would read it any more than watching the clip. And yet in the voice acting there is a development of character and you can enjoy seeing your character respond. It is ashame that there wasn't more answers that you could give. Its really not about voice acting its more about the development of story in the context of a more human three dimensional world, which after all is how we experience the real world. We should be applauding the creators here.. cus hopefully one day we can develop the concept further. I mean this is the magic of computer technology. Otherwise we would all still be stuck playing board games or reading books.

This can only get better. And I believe that by supporting this type of game we can look forward to more realistic and more enjoyable games. Don't knock it.

It seems by your statements that you want to get rid of VO in favor of quest/mob grinding in a race to get to end game. That's fine; however, that is not what Bioware has stated this game will be like. The point of VO is to try and engender a greater level of immersion in the game world. Instead of "kill 10 rats" purely for XP or a quest reward, it's "kill 10 womprats" because this NPC makes a special leather out of their hides. Oh and if you bring him the hides he will make you a Womprat Belt with +10 Endurance as a bonus! I realize that's not revolutionary, but to gamers who appreciate Bioware's reputation for excellent story-telling it is enjoyable to be drawn into the world and given some justification for your in-game actions.

I completely understand. But like I said it's different strokes. I am in no way requesting that VO quest stuff be removed from the game. I'm just requesting that I not have to sit through it because I don't care AT ALL why the guy wants me to kill 10 womprats. I don't care and VO quest text isn't going to make me care. I don't care if my PC is a 3d person. In this instance, I just wanna kill womprats.

A toggle to auto-accept quests without the VO would be an excellent addition in my opinion and my spacebar would greatly appreciate it.

Isn't it refreshing to actually have animated discussion as opposed to walls of text. I am not sure that anyone given text in a quest would read it any more than watching the clip. And yet in the voice acting there is a development of character and you can enjoy seeing your character respond. It is ashame that there wasn't more answers that you could give. Its really not about voice acting its more about the development of story in the context of a more human three dimensional world, which after all is how we experience the real world. We should be applauding the creators here.. cus hopefully one day we can develop the concept further. I mean this is the magic of computer technology. Otherwise we would all still be stuck playing board games or reading books.

This can only get better. And I believe that by supporting this type of game we can look forward to more realistic and more enjoyable games. Don't knock it.

Pretty darn well said, I applaud the clarity of your message, and while some may disagree(it's ok if you do, I don't mind) this is exactly how I feel.