Text-based questing

Hakkology

I completely understand. But like I said it's different strokes. I am in no way requesting that VO quest stuff be removed from the game. I'm just requesting that I not have to sit through it because I don't care AT ALL why the guy wants me to kill 10 womprats. I don't care and VO quest text isn't going to make me care. I don't care if my PC is a 3d person. In this instance, I just wanna kill womprats.

A toggle to auto-accept quests without the VO would be an excellent addition in my opinion and my spacebar would greatly appreciate it.

But while such a system might be effective it would also defeat the purpose of defining your character through dialogue(and the light/dark system)

I think that with the way the current system is built there is no way Bioware can do as you suggest without drawing major criticism from the RPG fanbase.

But while such a system might be effective it would also defeat the purpose of defining your character through dialogue(and the light/dark system)

I think that with the way the current system is built there is no way Bioware can do as you suggest without drawing major criticism from the RPG fanbase.

-Auto-accept all quests with light side answers.

-Auto-accept all quests with dark side answers.

Problem fixed. Honestly, I don't even care about LS/DS points. They can give me whatever alignment points they want so long as they give me auto-accept quests. Light side/dark side it's all the same. Still gonna do the exact same thing when I get to level 50 either way. Hardmodes -> PVP -> Operations.

The main issue isn't VO the side quests but more whatever option you choose they have no impact at all on the outcome.

Provided they did, then you would not want them to be text-based. Also as pointed by others there's already plenty text based quests in form of data pads or mission terminals.

Edited by Deewe

I completely understand. But like I said it's different strokes. I am in no way requesting that VO quest stuff be removed from the game. I'm just requesting that I not have to sit through it because I don't care AT ALL why the guy wants me to kill 10 womprats. I don't care and VO quest text isn't going to make me care. I don't care if my PC is a 3d person. In this instance, I just wanna kill womprats.

A toggle to auto-accept quests without the VO would be an excellent addition in my opinion and my spacebar would greatly appreciate it.

To begin, I would like to say I appreciate you having a constructive discussion with us and not being a troll or douchebag. That's much too rare these days.

But on to the topic at hand. I understand the desire to be able to skip content you deem superfluous, and I'm not against that.

I have sat here for a couple minutes trying to determine how to communicate my desire to leave VOs in, but it occurred to me that I want them left untouched because I enjoy them. If you don't enjoy them then I see no reason why you should be forced to sit through them. If Bioware finds an effective way to implement some sort of auto-accept system I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I still think the emphasis on story separates SWTOR from other MMOs, but I'm not the only one paying to play this game.

Well then you're playing the wrong game. BW have from the beginning advertised this as a story driven MMO, and voice acting plays a huge part in that. BW have always developed games this way and TOR is no different.

If you don't want to play the game as it is supposed to be played, then you should unsub and find something more to your liking. I hear Pandaville does not force you watch videos so go there.

It's simple. This is the wrong kind of game for you.

Sounds like you're playing the wrong genre.

Well, he's got a point.

I personally don't care about these menial tasks. I'd actually rather see those stupidly boring quests removed altogether and level solely through the main quest, and the planet main quests, where the real story is happening.

I agree that reading has its own charm, and it's nice to get the occasional text quest, but tbqh, the difference is huge with the VO.

The way you understand and "get" the quest when it's spoken to you is totally different from when you read it.

I've always found that reading text quests it hardly ever "sticks", I always forget what I'm supposed to be doing and have to re-read. With the VO-ed quests, it's alive, it's like it would be in real life, someone talks to you, in well-acted distress about something, and you are engaged in a totally different way than you would be just reading about it.

I find that I actually know what I'm doing a lot more in SWTOR than in any previous MMO. Running around doesn't feel nearly so purposeless, I reallly do feel like I'm "on a mission".

The real problem for me is that this immersiveness in the way the quests are given highlights the inadequacy of the traditional "click 3 glowies, kill a few mobs" gameplay. In most MMOs, you accept it because it's all pretty meaningless anyway. But when you're presented by someone in distress who REALLY needs some item or other, the item just being a glowie that you click on somehow just doesn't cut it. Its abstraction is highlighted, and is a step down in immersiveness from the immersiveness of the way the quest was given.

Isn't it refreshing to actually have animated discussion as opposed to walls of text. I am not sure that anyone given text in a quest would read it any more than watching the clip. And yet in the voice acting there is a development of character and you can enjoy seeing your character respond. It is ashame that there wasn't more answers that you could give. Its really not about voice acting its more about the development of story in the context of a more human three dimensional world, which after all is how we experience the real world. We should be applauding the creators here.. cus hopefully one day we can develop the concept further.

I agree voice acting is something great and we should be grateful for what we have , i can't argue with that *Applauds Bioware*.

--------------------------------------

I mean this is the magic of computer technology. Otherwise we would all still be stuck playing board games or reading books.

This can only get better. And I believe that by supporting this type of game we can look forward to more realistic and more enjoyable games. Don't knock it.

However i love reading. I'm a little bit offended after reading this. Reading is something that never gets old. I grew up with RPG's which required me to read a lot of things and i still can't forget how i painted them in my own head. To tell the truth ( Out of subject ) even the dialogue wheel Bioware loves is a great pain for me since i don't get to see what my character is going to say.

You may call me old fashioned, i'd take it as a compliment :).

Back to our topic;

What i wanted to suggest is, I'm certain some of the "side-side quests" can be turned into quests that can be taken from the bounty board. Some NPC just sends you a mail and when you read the mail you get the quest. There are a lot of ways to deliver quests without actually voicing the NPC's and making it fun.

I'm sorry if i made any grammer mistakes or offended anyone.

Thank you.