Why? Play any Class other then...

LimbSlicer

Sorc/Sage and Merc/Commando

Serious question not crying post. On my server in the 50 bracket of PVP War Zones these classes mentioned (Sorc/Sage Merc/Commando) Make up 90% of the population in War Zones and the server is one of the more popular servers.

So why would anyone play any other class? These players have groups full of them and all do very well. Other then personal choice I see no reason to play any other class.

I know they do not want this large majority of players to rage quit cause of a nerf so why not buff other classes or give more utility for pvp that would not equal a nerf for the most played classes in the game.

Edited by LimbSlicer

Sorc/Sage and Merc/Commando

Serious question not crying post. On my server in the 50 bracket of PVP War Zones these classes mentioned (Sorc/Sage Merc/Commando) Make up 90% of the population in War Zones and the server is one of the more popular servers.

So why would anyone play any other class? These players have groups full of them and all do very well. Other then personal choice I see no reason to play any other class.

I know they do not want this large majority of players to rage quit cause of a nerf so why not buff other classes or give more utility for pvp that would not equal a nerf for the most played classes in the game.

These classes are not best.

They are however the easiest, which means any moron that use a keyboard is capable of playing them well and/or mastering them.

But other classes are just as good (better in some ways) if mastered.

Marauders/Sentinels/Gunslinger/Snipers are complete 1 on 1 masters. If you play this class properly you simply cannot be beat head on and you will easily be scoring top of DPS leader board.

Juggernaut/Guardian/PTech/VGuard = are invaluable tanks, in PVP (huttball) and in PVE (raids). Also their shared specs are fantastic DPS.

Edited by AngelousWang

They are however the easiest, which means any moron that use a keyboard is capable of playing them well and/or mastering them.

Marauders/Sentinels/Gunslinger/Snipers are complete 1 on 1 masters. If you play this class properly you simply cannot be beat head on and you will easily be scoring top of DPS leader board.

So why should a "easy" Class dominate the more hard to play classes in pvp?

Sorry when does 1vs1 even matter other then when someone breaks off from a group? This game is group based most of the time.

These points do not explain why anyone would play any other classe when creating one for PVP.

So why should a "easy" Class dominate the more hard to play classes in pvp?

Because if you have two classes:

One can kill a the other just by pressing an "kill him" attack button. And one can kill the other by preforming 2 set up moves and then a "kill him" attack button.

It's obvious why one can dominate the other.

Sorry when does 1vs1 even matter other then when someone breaks off from a group? This game is group based most of the time.

Have you never played a warzone?

Alderaan = There is normally always a main group vs group fight over the middle turret, but there is always one or two defenders guarding left/right turret which has already been taken that a Marauder can easily go and steal for himself.

Huttball = Kill the ball carrier, 1 on 1 power is major here, a single Marauder defender can easily save the game.

Void Star, not so much.

And I then there is open world PVP, which 1 on 1 happens allot.

Think this you getting off topic. Why should anyone making a new toon for pvp pick anything other then a sorc/sage or merc/commando when the level 50 bracket is made up 90% of these classes.

Any other class you pick you will be fighting 2+ of these classes at a time.

The real problem is why are these classes so high in numbers and nothing is being done about it to save the game?

I think everyone is re-rolling these classes if not they are being rolled in warzones by them.

I don't really see why an abundance of certain classes would deter you from playing something else. It should have the opposite effect if anything. Why would you want to go into a fight with the exact same tools as your opponent when you could bring weapons that they're weak against and unfamiliar with? Snipers certainly aren't one on one gods but sorcerers and mercs are two of their best matchups. Edited by mBass

Juggernaut/Guardian/PTech/VGuard = are invaluable tanks, in PVP (huttball) and in PVE (raids). Also their shared specs are fantastic DPS.

I notice there is one class not mentioned amongst this list of useful classes.

Sin/Shadow :'(

Yup face it, for 15 seconds at the start of every fight your one of the most powerful dps there is, unfortunately if you dont kill that target, or there are more than 1 of them, your the weakest dps class in the game. Youll find that well over 50% of the time, this is the case.

Yup face it, for 15 seconds at the start of every fight your one of the most powerful dps there is, unfortunately if you dont kill that target, or there are more than 1 of them, your the weakest dps class in the game. Youll find that well over 50% of the time, this is the case.

Exactly.... sorcs can have a rotation that makes them force neutral, they don't actually drain any force and therefore don't have to stop dps or regen.

There is ZERO reason, none, for sorcs not to be on the same 100 force system that assassins are on. They can spam a few abilities, keep spamming light ones or wait to do heavy ones.

It is the same reason they are by far the best healer, can maintain extreme dps in pve and unlike EVERY OTHER CLASS they can continue to spam their best abilities in pvp for a LOOOOOOONG time.

Edited by Lowerydro

Because if you have two classes:

One can kill a the other just by pressing an "kill him" attack button. And one can kill the other by preforming 2 set up moves and then a "kill him" attack button.

It's obvious why one can dominate the other.

In group PvP sages are the best tanks/healers/DPS and Commandos are great DPS, Commandos at ranged do pretty good with one button:

It is the same for PvE. Spreading out ranged DPS that does as much damage as melee DPS while wearing heavy armor or shields will always be better especially when all encounters are maximize DPS style before enrage. Most MMOs let melee do more damage or make ranged classes squishier to compensate for the high risk but not this one as melee classes are usually the squishiest. If three melees are on a target they are eating a lot of AoE damage.

Play whatever you like, I hate cast times so play a melee and do OK.

Tank stats don't work in PvP and a lot of skills bypass armor.

\

Because maybe, just maybe your class will become the next FOTM when these classes are nerfed.

To preface my argument, I am assuming you are playing pre-made versus pre-made. If you are playing randoms, you are generally playing against bad players and if you're not absolutely face-rolling over them, a mirror will help you find your problem.

Let's say you have a pre-made of 4 Sorcerers and 4 Mercs go against a pre-made of 3 Sorcerers, 2 Mercs, a Marauder, an Operative (concealment) and an Assassin (stealth DPS). The second group will win 90% of their matches. Huttball they now have a class that can run through fire. Voidstar they have gained the ability to stealth plant / stealth deny. Alderran... the Operative is literally nuts, they can solo cap a point, and it will require 2+ people to break their hold on the point because of sleep dart abuse allowing them to deny a cap without ever breaking stealth.

Just because you're seeing X classes on top of the damage in RANDOMS doesn't mean that those classes did the most for your group, or that other classes are somehow not viable. With randoms you are seeing *mostly bad players*, so of course the more popular classes will dominate the damage boards, since that's more opportunity for one of those players to have derped into some useful buttons.

I think if you level a class up to 50 and spend the time to gear it out and all of that...

and your sole purpose for choosing that class was it was "overpowered" at the time...

you are just setting yourself up for a "rage-quit" when that class inevitably gets nerfed.

do you really think they are going to let 2 classes dominate pvp forever?

what are you going to do when the changes come down the pipe and you made your class choice based on how overpowered it was?

the answer timmy is "rage quit"

That's because his list of classes was flawed. Shadows and assassins are extremely strong. They're arguably the best ball runner in huttball as well.

Pretty funny that everyone failed to mention Assassins/Shadows. I score top 3 in every warzone I play in whether I score medals from damage, protection, and selfhealing. The original post is nonsense...every class has its pros/cons. Every class also has other classes you want to stay away from. For instance Sniper vs. marauder is nasty.

Did you just say that assassins are weak because they can't win 1v2 fights? How strong would you like them to be? Able to solo the whole other team, perhaps? Would you be happy then?

Pretty funny that everyone failed to mention Assassins/Shadows. I score top 3 in every warzone I play in whether I score medals from damage, protection, and selfhealing. The original post is nonsense...every class has its pros/cons. Every class also has other classes you want to stay away from. For instance Sniper vs. marauder is nasty.

Indeed. Assassins and marauders are managing to fly well under the radar despite actually being the strongest 2 classes in a warzone.

Edited by Caelrie

I take offense to this. In my experience, a DPS Sage is fairly difficult to play effectively.

People think it is just spam pebbles and win, which is fine if you don't get attacked, but when you do you have to use every tool in your arsenal to survive or your dead. Nearly ever other DPS class can kill me fairly easily if I'm not sharp with my utility.

I take offense to this. In my experience, a DPS Sage is fairly difficult to play effectively.

People think it is just spam pebbles and win, which is fine if you don't get attacked, but when you do you have to use every tool in your arsenal to survive or your dead. Nearly ever other DPS class can kill me fairly easily if I'm not sharp with my utility.

Don't worry about it.

Bioware balances things on actual testing, not random player hate in the forums. Sorcerers have a noticeable lightning animation, so people assume it is the lightning that killed them. Let's ignore that they're taking dots ticks from the assassin who just hit them, or that they're standing in a death cloud, or that they got hit with crushing darkness and never bothered to dispel. That Operative who just shiv'd them? Nah, that couldn't have killed them, it was the shiny purple lightning.

Other classes do damage? HAH! No, clearly it was the FILLER spell of Force Lightning that killed them.

-

People are just idiots sometimes, they look for what's visual instead of actually paying attention. Marauders and Assassins are BY FAR the most powerful classes in PVP. A well-played Powertech can also be absolutely insane. I have never had a problem 1v1 against skilled Sorcerers, and the bads? They die the second you LOS them or bring them into melee.

Anyway, the actual best classes in PVP? Marauder, Assassin, Powertech. The classes people THINK are there best because they have flashy animations? Mercs and Sorcerers.

for pvp i find that many classes have viability:

Sorcs (either hybrid or heal)

Pt tanks and pt dps

Merc healers

Assassins

Maras

All bring something good to pvp.

For pve imo, pt and assassins are the best tanks, maras the best mdps (due to their buffs), snipers have excellent dps and are ranged, sorc+merc as healers, sorc rdps retains some good utility(self shield and etc).

Atm imo, with very few exceptions (jugg aoe threat neading a buff, operative healing needing plenty of pve love and conc needing more mobility, sorc pvp utility needing a nerf) class balance is not that broken.