"Tab" targeting. A nightmare.

Verill

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PvP Guild Summit - Tab Targetting

skip to 28:35

"there's various aspects of the tab targeting that we want to do...those are all improvements that we want to do. Not all of them are in 1.2...larger boxes...labels on the name plates [but not clickable name plates]..."

Thanks for posting the youtube link, but the info given by BW is useless. As far as I can tell, nothing was changed with 1.2 with respect to tab targeting.

Edited by Buckit

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed

Tab-targeting is a pain in the ***.. Burning some players in Huttball today... all of a sudden a jedi leaps over to rub my face with his glow stick.. can I click on him? No, of course not.. Tab target? Nope, it targeted a lvl 13 behind me minding his own business.. oh look at that I'm dead

Haven't even nearly read all of this. Seems to me I've even posted in this thread once before because this topic is one that actually belongs in this forum.

Fix suggestions? I have none because i believe the failing of the feature goes right down to the coding it's self.

TARGETING plain sucks in this game, be it by Tab or mouse. I've seen more occasions than i can count where there is literally only one enemy in front of me. At a certain distance Tab picks them up fine. Too close in range though and I can spam Tab until my finger bleeds and it simply WILL NOT TARGET THEM! This above the chaotic way in which it selects from various potential targets I found far more annoying.

Also Mouse targeting is no picnic either. For one, the effective area you have to click to target another toon is just crazy small, it's roughly somewhere in the central portion of the targets feet. Click their head, their name tag, dead center at the waist, the giant icon placed by yourself or an ally, any seemingly logical point to click the target and nadda, you gotta click the left pinky toe or something. Cluster several targets together a 'la VS doors or something and you've got a real frustrating task if you want to rely on your mouse to target.

By ironic contrast though, as an example, the "targeting area circle" in say HB when one goes to pass is an absolute mess. Could be 4 allies and one opponent in the circle, despite even pinpoint accuracy of lining the center point of that circle on a friendly there's still a fair chance the opponent could end up with it for God know's what reason. I've heard all manner of theories on how to make that target circle more reliably ensure a pass to the ally, none of which are intuitive and I still find their reliability just as questionable personally. To me at least, every pass seems just short of the close your eyes, hold your breath and pray, hail marry, even if technically within hand off range for God's sake!

In this lay man's perspective, the coding needs to be rewritten/altered to fix these issues.

Edited by Mayams

+ Support

At the moment I am trying to use both the next target tab to get my enemy but where its not working I revert back to the equally inaccurate mouse targetting. Both are hit and miss so can make it hard to quickly get the right target. At least I think that everyone is in the same boat so its more frustrating than a direct disadantage if you get what I mean.

Like some of the suggestions and think they would enhance the game.

Cheers

Has there ever been some official statement about the tabtargeting ?

I mean, there are oviously huge problems with A LOT of people, including myself.

Now this thread is 20 pages already, so please dear developers, fix the tab targeting already, ASAP !!!

Has there ever been some official statement about the tabtargeting ?

I mean, there are oviously huge problems with A LOT of people, including myself.

Now this thread is 20 pages already, so please dear developers, fix the tab targeting already, ASAP !!!

They did say they intended to improve targeting, by making targets easier to click on (making them bigger for the mouse to target) but nothing was mentioned about tab if I remember.

Edited by MorgothQuick

Let us click on the players name.

Have a highlight effect on mouse over the player.

Make a smarter tab target so that when there's 3 people in front of you you don't need to hit tab 10 times because its only changing between 2 of the players.

Yeah i can't believe they haven't fixed this a long time ago. Something is wrong when i feel i have to manually click my opponent instead of using the TAB function, just to be completly sure i will hit the right player...

Dreadful tab target system. Always at start of a WZ tab targetting doesn't work at all and I need to manually click the guy that probably just ran off with the ball. Playing my operative is the worst, by the time I've tabbed 6 times to target the guy I am right behind I have lost position for my openers.

There is nothing worse then being right in front of someone about to cap a door, hitting tab - attack and realizing you just attacked the guy behind you.

This and the camera stick thing really would improve quality of life.

Edited by richardya

Last night I lost the target in front of me, and tried to tab target him I had to end up just clicking on the guy, or I get even more frustrated and if they are low HP i just do a aoe ability.

It really sucks when the "tab nearest player" just does not do that.