"Tab" targeting. A nightmare.

Verill

I agree its really horrible.

since this thread is 40+ pages long did anyone mention any tips or tricks to help with this or is it all just complaints?

There are various tips and tricks but you'll have to dig this thread.

However... All current setups has their cons and nothing is really intuitive.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're talking about having 5 people on your screen in an actual warzones (hell, even flashpoints, whatever). You can't make the camera work to your advantage there, you can't just, as a ranged DPS, tab through each target and just attack... well, you can, and knowing you, that's exactly what you do. But that's not how you properly play and that's definitely not the way any true PVPer will want to play.

Right, I can manage 40, you can't manage 5. You know you dont need to attack each one as you go through right? you can just hit the button again till the one you wants lights up. "true pvper"? I get results, you cry on the forum about how this isnt a wow clone.

/thread

This tread needs an official response please

what about ?

the tab system is working as intended.

it works the same way as most games.

cycle target outward from players perspective - this is what it does.

what more do you exactly want it to do lol?

Right, I can manage 40, you can't manage 5. You know you dont need to attack each one as you go through right? you can just hit the button again till the one you wants lights up. "true pvper"? I get results, you cry on the forum about how this isnt a wow clone.

/thread

True pvpers dont tab to begn with, but with the lack of decent nameplates or even the ability to click on a targets name it makes us have to deal with this broken tab system. Swtor has by far the worst targeting system i have seen in an mmo, you can disagree, but it only makes you look ignorant. There is no camera trick to tabbing in this game, the fact you bring up illum is hilarious because yes, when you are 40 meters away from an actual fight it will pick up the closest guy to you, now go jump in the middle of a 4v5 in the huttball pit and then tell us how great tab works for you.

what about ?

No. Most games are much more clever at tab targeting.

In WoW as example you will never target someone not even close, or at your back, etc ...

Restrict targeting to a 45 degrees cone in front of the player. It's stupid to tab target and end up targeting someone in your back.

Limit targeting to the max range of spells plus 15 meters. You don't want to target that mob/player that is like 200 meters away, it's pointless.

The targeting should cicle throught those players in that restricted area, a 45 degrees cone in front of the player with max range limited by a bit more distance than the max rage of spells in the game. It also should cicle throught just the 4 players closer to you if there are more than 4 players in that area.

Give priority to the enemies just in front of the player. Facing must have a value when targeting.

If you want to target someone by your side, you can pretty much turn your character to face him.

Edited by klathnagma

what about ?

Oh dear cod I hope not

No. The only game I've played that had worse targeting was WAR. But in that game you could catch a manual target without wasting 10 sec chasing it down with the cursor.

It clearly doesn't. If it works for you, congratulations! More often than not I end up targeting someone behind me or far off at the sides. Latest Illium we got zerged and my targeting started to cycle between players who stood behind a rock to the far left, not a single soul from the angry mob that was just in front of me.

Work.

Please fix.

Edited by Senefera

my tab and clicking works fine

learn to use it.

i'd much rather prefer to cycle targets outwards from me and for sure not restricted to only 45 degree's, that just sounds silly to me :confused:

i'll agree they need to fine tune the clicking, extend the area to the nameplate and not just the character.

there is an option to target closest enemy when not targeting anything in preferences by just using an ability, then on top of that there is a whole load of other targeting options

target centre screen

set focus target

target nearest enemy/friendly

target next enemy/friendly(TAB TARGETING!)

if by any means they plan on changing anything, i think some options should be drawn up and not just definitive changes.

Edited by Scotland

Completely agree with the OP and the suggestions raised to fix this issue. Targeting in general and specifically tab targeting in this game is terrible in its current state. I primarily PvP and tabbing through targets is highly unreliable at best.

As one person mentioned already, extremely frustrating when you're reflexively trying to tab-target someone defusing a bomb in Voidstar for instance and you're 1ft away with them center screen watching your targeting reticule dance around everyone in a 180o cone with no rhyme or reason.

Clicking is equally tricky, I don't know if the hit boxes are small in this game or what but trying to pick one target out of the fray is often nigh on impossible.

More intelligent targeting and better visual cues to show WHO you have targeted would improve combat in this game ten-fold.

learn to use it.

i'd much rather prefer to cycle targets outwards from me and for sure not restricted to only 45 degree's, that just sounds silly to me :confused:

No offense, but it just sounds like you've never played a game that had a proper tab targeting system implemented.

Tell me this, if there is only one enemy player in front of me, but he's surrounded by friendlies, making it difficult to click on him, why should I ever need more than one tab to target said player?

I hate to keep bringing up WoW, but the way tab should work is to cycle between players in a 45 (60? maybe even 90?) degree cone or so in front of where your character your is facing (basically, players in your immediate field of vision), left to right, with closer players possibly getting priority. It is intuitive, it makes sense, and no one that I know of has ever complained in WoW that it doesn't work the way it should.

Edited by Illidor

learn to use it.

"My hammer head is broken but I can drive nails with the handle.

learn to use it."

That's what you are saying.

You can't click on nameplates, so it doesn't works at all.

Tab targeting is completely broken, you can't "learn" to use it. Nothing you do, like facing or adjusting distance changes tab targeting.

Change your key bindings to target nearest instead of next. Also you can hit alt+c and it will target nearest enemy to the center of the screen.

Wrong!

Target center will target an ally as well.

Target center sometimes does nothing.

Target center doesnt rotate.

Using nearest is targeting players BEHIND you if closer.

Targeting isnt intuitive or expected.

You didnt bother to read all fifty pages i assume.

Please fix this, currently we have the worst tab targeting I have ever seen in a game.

The suggestions made are great I have one to add, find a way to reduce the lag, I have tabed to a target and when it didnt target tabbed again only to see it flash on the target I wanted and snap to another target as I hit my charge. I have a very high speed connection and a very fast gaming rig so we are dealing with an issue on the server or with the latency on the network.

No offense, but it just sounds like you've never played a game that had a proper tab targeting system implemented.

Tell me this, if there is only one enemy player in front of me, but he's surrounded by friendlies, making it difficult to click on him, why should I ever need more than one tab to target said player?

I hate to keep bringing up WoW, but the way tab should work is to cycle between players in a 45 (60? maybe even 90?) degree cone or so in front of where your character your is facing (basically, players in your immediate field of vision), left to right, with closer players possibly getting priority. It is intuitive, it makes sense, and no one that I know of has ever complained in WoW that it doesn't work the way it should.

First - ive played alot of "other" mmo's

Second - the tab targeting system is what it is, you target the closest first then rotate out, not hard to grasp.

WoW is a bad example because lets face it, it caters to 8 year olds with learning difficulties.

i also said drawing up some options to choose from would be fine, changing the angle of the tab by choice not by force.

"My hammer head is broken but I can drive nails with the handle.

learn to use it."

That's what you are saying.

You can't click on nameplates, so it doesn't works at all.

Tab targeting is completely broken, you can't "learn" to use it. Nothing you do, like facing or adjusting distance changes tab targeting.

awww, first time on the forums ?

I did mention in a previous post i would like to see the click target expanded to the nameplate, so yeh you didnt read it right.