"Tab" targeting. A nightmare.

Verill

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

Currently I use two keys - "Tab" as default and "~" as nearest target. In PvP, especially when the melee jumps me I have to use nearest target, although it's still very hard to target properly. Targeting at the distanse without a mouse is still impossible (and with a mouse - too long and chance to miss the target)

Edited by Lightning_

Just like to add.....clicking a player is also horrible in this game. I'm not sure what it is but clicking a player in huttball is tediously annoying. Clicking through fire? I don't know what causes the occasional problem. Reminds me of CSS hitbox registration......

Simply saying, Tab targeting is horrible. Completely broken.

Please make it more intelligent by:

Rotating targets according to the char's current 90% vision cone.

Rotating targets according to distance.

Not just randomly in a way that makes us really... really angry.

Support this thread and hopefully we will get some developer think he is up for the task of programming this.

Updated:

The good (or sith evil) players on this thread made nice suggestions which I think could be summed up to these recommendations.

1. Target enemy center screen - Cycles through enemies in 45 degree cone centered by your screen (not by where the toon is looking) and according to distance.

2. Target friendly center screen - Cycles through friendly in 45 degree cone centered by your screen (not by where the toon is looking) and according to distance.

Please make more comments and suggestions, also about this update.

I haven't played an MMO since BC in WoW, but even going back into MMO gaming prior to WoW this (tab targeting) never seemed to be an issue. I know memory can exaggerate, but tab targeting in SWTOR seems to be the worst I have ever seen.

A great example of the issue was last night in a WZ, I have my tab set to nearest target. One would expect that to mean the nearest target within a "field of vision" in front of the character, someone you can attack. NOPE! I had one player directly in front of me, and one behind me. Apparently the guy behind me was closer and so when I targeted, it locked the guy behind me. Someone that I couldn't even attack without turning completely around. Worse yet I have had it target players not even on my screen, they were so far off to the side or behind me. Yet out in the distance (frag grenade/blaster range) was another player. To make matters worse you can't click name plates to target, you have to click the damn champion. Which is supremely frustrating in itself.

I have, as I believe many others have, played around with how tab targeting is working in this game. I am more than confident to say that it doesn't work based off a "field of view" system, but is omnidirectional in the targeting. Anyone within a particular radius is eligible for targeting, which is just silly.

Edited by PostalTwinkie

Agreed, and also, make clicking players actually possible. It's retardedly difficult to accomplish this. I have an easier time playing starcraft 2 at 300 APM while managing 5 bases than I do clicking someone in this game.

Or alternatively, you can fix the fricking OPS UI so people on your team actually show up on them for crying out loud.

Edited by adrenalinee

omg agreed.

I had to cycle through 6 people before I could tab select the player running around in front of me in huttball.

I can't tell when it's time to give up and mouse-click, which takes just as long but at least I know at some point I'm going to have them selected.

I agree that tab-targeting could use some improvement. But what about enemy raid frames for warzones? I made a thread "Suggestion: Enemy Raid Frames" but no one commented on the idea and I see it as a nice complement to many of the tab-targeting improvements suggestions in this thread. It will be especially useful with rated warzones coming, and lighting fast targeting will be needed. It could allow us to keybind important enemies like healers and tanks. It might actually be easier to implement than fine tuning the tab-targeting algorithm, although both would be nice.

I most agree with this. My target is right in front of me and due to lag, I can't click on them. I rely on tab to locate them and it is tagging people 80m away. Fix this!:p

Its not lag. Its that the target's hit box is VERy small compared to other games. You have to click on center mass of the target, and if it is moving.... holy s*** you better be good at precision clicks.