"Tab" targeting. A nightmare.

Verill

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU HAVE IT

Press esc, preferences, key bindings tab at the bottom- look for TARGET NEAREST ENEMY.

THIRTY NINE PAGES OF FAIL

Target nearest enemy and Tab target are not the same thing. It works in a way but tab target cycles through targets in a predictable cone in front of you starting with the nearest and then working it's way outwards. Target nearest does exactly what it says and does not work the same way people are requesting in this thread.

Yeah, Tab Target vs Target Nearest Enemy some times works out better for Target Nearest Enemy, sometimes it doesn't.

I've had many times, like in Huttball, where Target Nearest Enemy just doesn't work, and neither does Default Tab Target. :mad:

I'm forced to mouse click targets more often then I would like. I can only hope the developers can come up with a smoother Targeting option then they currently have.

Yeah, Tab Target vs Target Nearest Enemy some times works out better for Target Nearest Enemy, sometimes it doesn't.

I've had many times, like in Huttball, where Target Nearest Enemy just doesn't work, and neither does Default Tab Target. :mad:

I'm forced to mouse click targets more often then I would like. I can only hope the developers can come up with a smoother Targeting option then they currently have.

I'm sure they are working on it, they are not oblivious to the community as alot of people seem to think. I imagine the lack of official response to this yet is related to the fact that they don't have an official answer they are allowed to give yet. That being said, I have to do the same as you but clicking on people is extremely difficult in this game due to the tiny area that each person actually occupies, not to mention they are usually moving, and there are typically people in between you and them. Tab targetting is the only really viable way to target at this point in chaotic situations like 16 man ops and huttball/pvp in general, so I sincerely hope there is a plan to fix this. The biggest issue with tab target for me is that often it targets something that is behind me, but when the targetting highlighter/arrow is so small it's often difficult to tell what I am targetted on. I am hoping we get some options to highlight our target with different colors, markers, etc. similar to the UI customizations coming.

Also, is there no ability to Set Target and recall with a specific key? -- great for queing healers for DPS to be able to switch to quickly switch to interrupt them

Or ability to target your Last Target you performed an action against -- biggest advantage here would be against enemies that cloak and then re-appear only to not get picked up by tab targeting

All UO concepts but maybe they are implemented and I just haven't looked close enough?

Edited by bklynfinest

Also, is there no ability to Set Target and recall with a specific key? -- great for queing healers for DPS to be able to switch to quickly switch to interrupt them

Or ability to target your Last Target you performed an action against -- biggest advantage here would be against enemies that cloak and then re-appear only to not get picked up by tab targeting

All UO concepts but maybe they are implemented and I just haven't looked close enough?

set focus target

focus target modifier key

self target modifier key

these are a few examples?

set focus target

focus target modifier key

self target modifier key

these are a few examples?

Yeah those are options, I have tried the focus target but was unable to get it to work very well for me, it would definitely be nice to have the focus target in it's own raid frame, or visible in some way. Perhaps it is and I'm just doing it totally wrong.

Yeah those are options, I have tried the focus target but was unable to get it to work very well for me, it would definitely be nice to have the focus target in it's own raid frame, or visible in some way. Perhaps it is and I'm just doing it totally wrong.

when you set the focus target it puts his health bar etc on a secondary target to the right of the target bar location

there is an option in general to enable focus target.

YOU HAVE IT

Press esc, preferences, key bindings tab at the bottom- look for TARGET NEAREST ENEMY.

THIRTY NINE PAGES OF FAIL

"THREE LINES OF FAIL"

Back to reality....

This has been discussed in detail by many of us that use it. The problem is that the targeting is omnidirectional, which isn't intuitive. If someone is behind you and closer than the guy in front of you it will target the person behind you. I suggest next time you open your mouth on a subject thread, you actually read the thread.

Shh don't tell people these secrets, they might L2P.

God forbid that happening.

See my above statement.

Simply saying, Tab targeting is horrible. Completely broken.

Please make it more intelligent by:

Rotating targets according to the char's current 90% vision cone.

Rotating targets according to distance.

Not just randomly in a way that makes us really... really angry.

Support this thread and hopefully we will get some developer think he is up for the task of programming this.

Updated:

The good (or sith evil) players on this thread made nice suggestions which I think could be summed up to these recommendations.

1. Target enemy center screen - Cycles through enemies in 45 degree cone centered by your screen (not by where the toon is looking) and according to distance.

2. Target friendly center screen - Cycles through friendly in 45 degree cone centered by your screen (not by where the toon is looking) and according to distance.

Please make more comments and suggestions, also about this update.

I agree that targeting is a big steaming pile of...

My thought on fixing it is to start any targeting with the nearest person and cycle through them according to distance. If you have not switched targets in 3-5 seconds (it would need to be tested for best results) then star again with the closest target and cycle through based on distance.

This would fix the problem with us never being able to target the person we are trying to and it is usually the closest person. I imagine the cone of vision should be considered as well.