Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

How to beat a Sorcerer/sage or why they arn't overpowered ;)

me_unknown

sorry OP, your logical advice on how to beat sorc/sage will go ignored like most logical posts on how to play vs a sorc/sage.

as sad as it is, you are just wasting your breathe. most ppl feel once they engaged the sorc/sage, they have no choice to but finish the fight, instead of running away once they are in the disadvantaged position. it's how most ppl will think, for example, "omg those knockbacks are so OP, they knocked me off of the cat walk, i'm dead" but what usually happens is omg the sorc knocked me off now i just need to run away, but nope, they stand there and allow the sorc to continue killing them. it's how bad players play. it really can't be helped.

i love how one poster said, merc do not have an interrupt, last time i checked their stun and 9 second single person knock back can be used to interrupt, but forget that idea, it doesn't say interrupt so they wont use it.

this is the average swtor pvp population...

tl;dr why learn to play your class better when you can just whine on forums.

Edited by shaidarlol

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

of course it has. it seems you are palying the wrong class. his stun is by far not as good as a sorcs stunn as it is channeld but it interrupts, closes the time gap for your jump cd or kick cd. consider the cd a sage has for his stunns/mazes.

Ok, since you are so pro to know soooo many things about how to kill sorcs, name me the sentinel stuns...

1)

2)

3)

go go , i m curious to see them

They have NO STUNS

1 stupid kind of CC, force choke, and as soon as thr enemy get free from it with his "trinket" spell, it keeps the sentinel CC'ed... R - O - F - L

Not to mention in 1v2 u CC again yourself while 1 of 2 can hit u...

You are right, sentinel/guardian has 1 cc, to himself!

Edited by unicornfive

Ok, since you are so pro to know soooo many things about how to kill sorcs, name me the sentinel stuns...

1)

2)

3)

They have NO STUNS

1 stupid kind of CC, force choke, and as soon as thr enemy get free from it with his "trinket" spell, it keeps the sentinel CC'ed... R - O - F - L

you do know you can stop the channel itself simply by walking forward right? there is no need to finish the channel once anyone has trinketed the choke?

and force choke is a stun, just because it's channeled doesn't make it any less of a stun.

i'm sorry you are losing in a 1v2 situation, because it isn't fair, 1 person should be able to beat 2, it's the most logical thing.

R O F L indeed.

1)

2)

3)

They have NO STUNS

You have lots of snares and immobilization CCs

Taking a single Sorc/Sage isnt a tall task, its pretty simple if you're melee, interupt interupt interupt. The problem lies in the 4-6 in every WZ and roving packs of them in Ilum, and untill they make the dps specs of these ACs even remotely requiring more than the slightest bit of user input, expect to see a great deal of them. Humans tend to take the path of least resistance to success.

Its a very simple AC with low user input at the start. Dont get me wrong I'm sure there are some players out there that use the ACs to their full effect and are quite skillfull in doing so, but for the masses, jumping into the ACs requires very little knowledge with a very big reward.

Edit: I r spelz rael gud.

Edited by Thundartwothree

Taking a single Sorc/Sage isnt a tall task, its pretty simple if you're melee, interupt interupt interupt. The problem lies in the 4-6 in every WZ and roving packs of them in Ilum, and untill they make the dps specs of these ACs even remotely requiring more than the slightest bit of user input, expect to see a great deal of them. Humans tend to take the path of least resistance to success.

Its a very simple AC with low user input at the start. Dont get me wrong I'm sure there are some players out there that use the ACs to their full effect and are quite skillfull in doing so, but for the masses, jumping into the ACs requires very little knowledge with a very big reward.

Edit: I r spelz rael gud.

Lol it is about the most proc required spec I have seen.....

you do know you can stop the channel itself simply by walking forward right? there is no need to finish the channel once anyone has trinketed the choke?

and force choke is a stun, just because it's channeled doesn't make it any less of a stun.

i'm sorry you are losing in a 1v2 situation, because it isn't fair, 1 person should be able to beat 2, it's the most logical thing.

R O F L indeed.

You do know that a full channeled choke gives +100% dmg to your smash if u are rage spec? Which is the hardest hitting ability or rage tree

You do know that a full channeled choke gives +100% dmg to your smash if u are rage spec? Which is the hardest hitting ability or rage tree

yes i do know this, so for that reason you would let them take pot shots at you instead of cancelling your channel?

this is the exact reason why good sorc/sages will cancel their channel and run away if a melee is beating on them. only the bad ones will finish their channel to get damage in while they are getting their face crushed by a melee only to get maybe 1k more dmg in.

i'm sorry but you are just bad 8(

I agree with the OP. If people actually took the time to bind their interrupt there would be a lot more frustrated sorcerer/sage players, which would eventually translate into less sorcerer/sage players overall.

The reason interrupt has a cooldown is because you are supposed to use it on the right ability depending on who you are fighting, not on the first cast/channel bar you see. Save that sucker for the right time and you will make defeating any class a walk in the park.

Edited by Darth_Philar

I agree with the OP. If people actually took the time to bind their interrupt there would be a lot more frustrated sorcerer/sage players, which would eventually translate into less sorcerer/sage players overall.

The reason interrupt has a cooldown is because you are supposed to use it on the right ability depending on who you are fighting, not on the first cast/channel bar you see. Save that sucker for the right time and you will make defeating any class a walk in the park.

For sure, thats why most people expect bioware to buff sorcs in upcoming patches.

This thread makes alot of sense

to add to this, it's just not about only using our interrupts, it's about other skills as well, like spells that knock back can be used as an interrupt, stuns can be used as an interrupt not just to keep the person in place, and to use your skills effectively, like cancelling your force choke channel if the sorc/sage trinkets....

pvp is about reacting to the situation correctly and making the right decision on the fly correctly, if you can't and won't learn the skills to do so, there is always pve for you or i suppose going on the forums to whine is another option...

For sure, thats why most people expect bioware to buff sorcs in upcoming patches.

This thread makes alot of sense

Sensible people expect no changes to sorcerer/sage.

People suffering from Forum-Induced Confirmation Bias expect all kinds of crazy things, including nerfs to sorcerer/sage.

I"m sure the other 2 guys trying to help me kill this healing sorceror are totally in agreement with you :rolleyes:

The ablity to shield, self-heal, AND DPS is over the top, they can ALWAYS stay alive healing, and certainly long enough in most cases for their CD on bubble to reset.

You say you can't talk about a class you haven't played...

So my suggestion is to roll a guardian and spec defense/vigilince - then come back and elaborate on how sorcerors are not OP.

I'm in full Champion gear and sorcereors can simply stay alive from my pathetic DPS and eventually wittle me down to zeor health.

Explain to me the justice in a HEAVY armored tank in yoru face being able to do NOTHING.

That's my perspective - and lets not even get into the fact that Imperials probably have 50% of their player base playing this class - so in a warzone you have 4-5 sorcerors to every one sage. Then people wonder why republic loses.

I"m sure the other 2 guys trying to help me kill this healing sorceror are totally in agreement with you :rolleyes:

The ablity to shield, self-heal, AND DPS is over the top, they can ALWAYS stay alive healing, and certainly long enough in most cases for their CD on bubble to reset.

So my suggestion is to roll a guardian and spec defense/vigilince - then come back and elaborate on how sorcerors are not OP.

I'm in full Champion gear and sorcereors can simply stay alive from my pathetic DPS and eventually wittle me down to zeor health.

Explain to me the justice in a HEAVY armored tank in yoru face being able to do NOTHING.

That's my perspective - and lets not even get into the fact that Imperials probably have 50% of their player base playing this class - so in a warzone you have 4-5 sorcerors to every one sage. Then people wonder why republic loses.

so what you're saying is, you want to spec a tank hybrid spec, and you expect to kill a healer sorc/sage?

*** is wrong with you

Query: Are you attempting to CC the healing sorcerer?

Follow up Query: Are you attempting to CC the healing sorcerer before or after the bubble has been broken?

Observation: If you and your companions are not capable of killing a healing sorcerer in a 3v1 situation, perhaps you may want to try a game that requires less skill. May I suggest Tic-Tac-Toe?

<SIGH> You class has a PR problem and your answers are telling people they just suck? LOL. GL with that. The writing is on the walls and I know you can see it. You would not have made this post other wise.

The Sage/Sorcerer class is by far not the most broken class that is out there now. Are they good at PvP? Yes. Are they by far the easiest class to get good at? Yes. Do they have a perception of being OP by the majority of players that don't play one? Yes. Will this end up making them FOTM? DUH. Will being a FOTM class get them even more whines thus causing them to be even more FOTM? A classic snowball effect. Will this get them nerfed? Likely.

And I wish you luck with your "you just suck" Anti-Nerf campaign. It has worked so well for everyone else who tried it over the years.

And I wish you luck with your "you just suck" Anti-Nerf campaign. It has worked so well for everyone else who tried it over the years.

you are totally missing the point of this thread. but it is understandable and i expected it ;)

anyhow, thank you all for this entertainment and proving my opinion about the skills of the majority (not that this was needed, it is the same since earth has life: the masses are always low skilled, not only in games).

edit: oh btw. it is interesting that we see a surge nerf, wich affects the most our melee classes (not only them, actually the most classes with bursts) and the less sages/sorcerers (well it also affects us much, but it closes the damage gap between sages and others).

Edited by me_unknown

I have many alts. Every class except Sith Marauder in levels from 15-40.

My Sorc is level 23ish and I can tell you that interrupts are already a major fear of mine when I'm out there doing my thing.

Since sage/sorc relies on burst healing for the most part, a well placed interrupt can really ding their healing output if they're playing support.

If they're doing DPS look out for the long cast DoTs which have a longer CD. the channeled lightning/tiny rocks has a very short (or no?) cooldown so you're not getting much bang for your buck. In general if you see purple lightning, don't bother interrupting. Also their long Mez (the tornado one) has a long cast time and CD.

In my experience, Jedi guardians and Juggernauts have the easiest time shutting down Sage/sorc with Sniper/gunslinger a close second. both classes have a decent amount of interrupts and crowd control. Keep in mind that knockbacks will interrupt many of these long cast and channeled abilities. Guards can also leap at distant sorcs even if snared and GS/Snipers have the burst DPS to burn down those guys way too fast for them to heal out of it. Just make sure you're watching for the bubble.

the bubble is the only thing I think that makes that class so difficult to take out. The CD and the immunity timer are too short. When fighting vigilant sorc you only have 10 seconds of every 30 to get in your licks.

I think just adding an induction time to the bubble skill will even the playing field for everyone. Right now there's nothing you can do to keep a sorc from bubbling up and once the bub is up their survivability goes way up. Even a 2-3 second cast time will allow a smart player to interrupt them. That's assuming you get past the wave of CC, heals and sustained DPS they can dish out.

• 1 month later...

The simplest way to beat a sorc?

Roll a Trooper and choose "COMMANDO." My main is a sorc and I can tell you that no class in the game gives me as much problems as Commando's. In open world PvP, a Commando with equivalent gear and using Mako for healing beats me 60% of the time.:mad:

P.S: Obviously skill matters as well, my post just assumes you're a good player.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.