If your An Empire player, DO you actually like the Empire?

chakkar

Let me start off by saying that I am an Empire player, a Bounty Hunter more specifically. I DOn't RP much but If I did I could justify this by saying that I am just in it for the money, but then I guess that answer would be morally corrupt as well.

The Empire kills people just because. In instances where they could be spared and taken as prisoner, they just slaughter them. More troubling is the fact that the Empire routinely kills its' own loyal people. IN some of the quests, they have killed their own. In many of the books they have killed their own, for example:

"Death StAR" ***SPOILER***

IN the novel "death star" the newly constructed death star was ready to test its main gun. Tarkin just nonchalantly decided to test it out on the prison planet which they were orbiting. He didn't bother evacuating the millions of prisoners....or even the Imperial personnel down on the planet. Just bam, the planet was gone.

In another instance related to SWTOR, From the novel "Revan":

"Revan" ****SPOILER****

The Emperor, the Emperor in TOR, rose to power by summoning all the Sith Lords to his home planet and then he consumed them to gain their power (YES, HE ATE THEM!). He then through some ritual absorbed every living being on the planet into him to gain immortality, Billions of people.

Not someone I'd want to be loyal to.

Do any other Imperials feel uncomfortable with this? Yes, I realize its just fiction. If I hadn't looked forward to playing a Bounty Hunter for the past four years I'd definitely rather play on the Republic side.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the original empire in the movies is just a heavy handed metaphor for nazis and since BW's empire is the conceptual derivative some of that is going to seep through.

That said there a certain cold appeal to how the empire gets things done when juxtaposed with out western democracy.

Well the original empire in the movies is just a heavy handed metaphor for nazis and since BW's empire is the conceptual derivative some of that is going to seep through.

That said there a certain cold appeal to how the empire gets things done when juxtaposed with out western democracy.

if there was a ritual whereby i could gain immortality by absorbing every living being on this planet, i think i'd do it. only if there was a robust galaxy full of intelligent beings who could actually travel from planet to planet though.

otherwise i'd probably be a tad lonely.

This almost seems like a very skilled troll, trying to start a flame war by goading people into showing support for dictatorship and Nazism. If so, I applaud your wit, because this was a very subtle lead in.

If not, well...I can look at it like this. I make decisions every day in the empire where I choose to show greater mercy than others do. I can say that I believe in firm handed, pro-human government and that while it makes mistakes and goes too far, it is better than the alternative. If I work hard and do my part I can make it succeed and simultaneously work to moderate those aspects that are too extreme.

I have both Empire and Republic alts (I've always thought that vehemently defending one faction in an MMO was stupid *cough*Hordefanbois*cough*), but I don't like the Empire. I make an alt, I decide if they'll go light- or dark-side, and stick with that, but I rarely feel happy with my dark-side choices. They make me feel like a bad person. :(

So I guess, if Star Wars = real life, I'd hang out with the Jedi.

I like the Empire. Atleast when they're *******es they go up front about it.

Unlike the Republic.

--Spoilers--

--Spoilers--

--Spoilers--

You know, like BELSAVIS

I'd rather have the *******es who admit they're *******es so I can be on guard, then to have that happen to me without warning.

It is a game so I don't really care about how moral the empire is.

I'd rather have had smugglers and bounty hunter be 'neutral' and have to skate a thin line of working for whomever they wanted. If you crossed factions for work you'd have to balance what you did and dealing with angry officials, and having someone try to have you killed or arrested etc.

Sadly BW went with a much simpler setup 'good/bad' and although we'll supposedly get some neutral gear it will be tacked on and I doubt given much if any depth just as the rest of the game.

Love the Empire.

IMO, violence aside, the choice options I get on the empire are more virtuous than what this game offers to the "Republic". I don't even consider the Republic to be an accurate classification of their faction. In this game the Republic is more like the French Revolution's Third Estate: ultimately devolving into a horrifically conformist regime that tore itself to pieces, targeted its own members, killing those who were not "loyal enough" to the revolution, and beheading tens of thousands of priests and innocent people along the way, paving the perfect path for what? A: an emperor, Napoleon, who by war took the world by storm.

By not understanding the historical precedent for their own ideology the writers have lost all notion of what it is to be a "good guy" who fights for a free society. The Republic is more like an Imperialist, conformist regime than the Sith Empire, so from an order vs. chaos perspective, they have screwed things up pretty badly.

The fact that they have stuffed all the violence on the side fighting for the integrity of the individual and his freedom to choose his own destiny shows just how out of touch these near-evangelical writers are. I couldn't play a Jedi unless I wanted to be a political zealot bent on forcing other people to accept my view of what is right and wrong with no regard to individual interpretations. If these factions were real forces, I shudder to think how the republic would very quickly devolve into mob violence.

Edited by Comfterbilly

Yup I'm a slightly RP player. But I prefer the stories where you're in a corrupt government (The Empire) and the games you have to play to get power. Rather than the goody goody Jedi.

No I do not like the empire per-say. I do everything for self-gain. Usually choosing the options where people remain loyal to me rather than the empire. Options like "free the slaves" or send them back to the empire I usually choose to free them. Also missions where people swear their loyalty to me if I let them live usually I choose the option to let them live. Truthfully my war isn't against the Jedi it's against the Empire and i WILL GAIN POWER!

Can't say I like Empire more than Republic in this game as I have never played Republic, but my experience as a dark side sith has been quite enjoyable. When I came to this game, I was determined to be as evil as possible, simply for the fact that in the last game I played, Skyrim, I was not allowed to kill children.

Now that I think about it though, I'm a bit miffed that I can't kill my own companions. Or at least rip out the voice box of my droid. God he's annoying.

The thing to bear in mind is that just because this is a Star Wars game, it doesn't mean all the writers have a meaningful grasp of complex concepts such as Jedi, Sith, the Force, the Empire, the Republic etc.

Most of them are likely guessing about these things based on the films they personally prefer and whatever level of interest they may have in the EU.

*By way of example, a small Jedi Knight story spoiler*

A Jedi NPC in the JK story suggests the possibility that her droids might one day use the Force.

Even before any talk of midichlorians this would have been an idiotic idea but it got thought of and, I assume, approved by someone equally ignorant of the supposed nature of the Force.

The thing to bear in mind is that just because this is a Star Wars game, it doesn't mean all the writers have a meaningful grasp of complex concepts such as Jedi, Sith, the Force, the Empire, the Republic etc.

Most of them are likely guessing about these things based on the films they personally prefer and whatever level of interest they may have in the EU.

*By way of example, a small Jedi Knight story spoiler*

A Jedi NPC in the JK story suggests the possibility that her droids might one day use the Force.

Even before any talk of midichlorians this would have been an idiotic idea but it got thought of and, I assume, approved by someone equally ignorant of the supposed nature of the Force.

Drew Karphysan is the lead writer at BioWare, he has also written many Star Wars Novels. He wrote the Novel "Revan", among many others. I just think that the Jedi in question had no idea what she was talking about.

Drew Karphysan is the lead writer at BioWare, he has also written many Star Wars Novels. He wrote the Novel "Revan", among many others. I just think that the Jedi in question had no idea what she was talking about.

Yes and Drew wrote the excellent story for KOTOR but he wasn't the writer for everything in this game by a long shot.

Daniel Erickson was the lead writer for this game.

Yes I love the empire. Like someone said earlier, the empire is upfront and no nonsense about its dealings. The republic wants yo to think its all nice and the good guys...truth is both sides have their underhanded and bad stuff..just the empire is upfront. I admire the empires order and system. If it weren't for some of the overboard sith the empire would be a near spotless greased machine. It's not hampered by little tid bits of morality but acts for the overall effectiveness and progression for the empire. You republic lovers can have your ineffective government and the jedi zealots (screw not having emotion.)

I am an RPer and I choose the background and alignment for all my characters before i start playing them.

My sith is a pure evil sith pureblood who murders puppies when he gets bored enough. He loves the murder. He goes a murdering all day long.

But my operative is only loyal to the Imp Intelligence section of the Empire. She does not know anything about the emporer or the sith and has no loyalty to them at all. And she's full light side.

it's a game..you do know that right?

This is typical of most of the people that play the evil side or controversial side (Horde in WoW, Defiants in Rift, etc). You'll get lots of responses saying "I like the story....duh." or "I like to kill, it's only a game."

These folks clearly picked the Empire because they want to feel rebellious, naughty, cool, thuggy, all those things. I've seen some numbers and most (but not all) of the Imps are younger, while the Republic is older (not 100%, but generally, average age at least).

It gets tiresome fighting against the same bunch of kids in every MMO, but it is really expected nowadays.