Arena, implement competitive PVP.

Entrerix

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arenas ruined most of the class balance in WoW. The developers even stated that the implementation of arenas was wrong, and if he could, he would take it back.

Arenas In swtor? No thank you.

Lets be realistic, dual sorc hybrid teams with no diminishing returns? Ya that sounds like fun:jawa_mad:

I played very very high end PVE, very high end bg pvp (high warlord grind at 60) and a little bit of arenas in wow. I got my *** handed to me in arenas.

Arena matches were the most adrenaline filled activity i did in the 5 years I played besides killing m'uru/kj pre nerf. I wasn't even good at it. It was awesome.

I know there are balance issues etc etc etc but seriously, nothing can match rush of arenas.

edit: I take that back. Playing huttball premade vs premade is REALLY FREAKING COOL. Everyone complains but huttball is awesome when your team is working together calling plays, throwing on the run, dekeing the other team into going right and passing cross-court to an open guy for a 40 meter run. Put in more "sports" like this and it will be AWESOME. Encourage team play instead of just RTSing like civil war/voidstar (both of those are fun, but in a different way.

Edited by Umpire

If something like arena is implimented in game, and you have such a huge problem with balance and you hate it, heres a ****in idea, just dont arena. Lots of other people would love it though and not cry on the forums all day about how its not fair to them and therefor shouldnt even be in the game.

Lets also face the fact that blizzard consistently made incredibly stupid decisions around arena, the idea itself isnt that bad.

Edited by Ulltramagns

I'd rather see some fresh ideas brought to MMO PvP, rather than ask Bioware continue to copy Blizzard.

Arena bring massive class balance issues (that never go away), gear problems in every area of the game (that never go away), FotM comps and specs (too bad if you lost to the Character Selection Screen Boss), and add an insane amount of divisiveness to what can already be a pretty mean spirited community (paid carries, win trading, queue dodging, etc).

This ^

With one exception, arena changed Blizzards model to FotY classes. Resto Druids dominated the first two years, and Frost Mages have dominated past three years. Right on about everything else though. WoW is a real life job to so many people which is part of the reason it's so mean spirited. Everyone from the gold sellers, carriers, and people like Swifty, that spend all day looking for cheap game mechanics to put on youtube and get advertisement hits. The people in WoW remind me of Obi explaining to Luke about the Tatooine Space Port. "There has never been a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

That said, I wouldn't mind an arena of sorts so long as there are no "functional" rewards for it. Meaning no better gear, no special mounts, nothing! Just a ratings system and maybe a tittle if the devs feel generous. People will still be able to find out who the best is, they just won't be able to make a full time job out of it, and I doubt the whole game would get balanced around it if arena were implemented in such a way.

Edited by Swordsaintt

At first i would just hope they never add Arenas to swtor.

Splits up the community even more, further taking away the players from belonging to a faction rather than a rank bracket.

Promotes douchebagery and elitists behaviors.

Even tinier area boxes confining the players for hours, days, in order to achieve the mendatory gear grind related to the usual introduction of superior arena gear, so they can stay competitive in any other form of pvp. While outside, a whole world space stays unexploited and world pvp dies a bit more due to the gear gap and the absence of players too busy grinding inside boxes.

Now seeing that eventually there is still a little portion of the pvp population that genuinely misses the feature, i will only ask for this :

Just don't add more superior gear to it if ever Arenas are made. Give them titles, ranks, heck give them gear that has the samestats than the regular cent/champ/BM only with different skins so they can claim their difference.

Don't turn Star Wars into Box Wars.

There's no class that sticks out like Frost mages or Druid healers in this game. Feral Druids were brutal for awhile as well but they were crap for years so they deserved it.

Sorcerer hybrid that everyone complains about are not that bad especially in a 3v3 setting. If you had 2 Operatives, that person would die in 1.5 seconds. 2v1 in WoW was different, you had classes that could with stand being beat on for awhile. This game, not so much.

I feel this game is pretty balanced up at BM level. Nothing really stands out. A good player of any class can beat another player.

They don't have to give better gear for rewards, just give different gear looks with the same stats. Give crystals, give mounts. It would be nice to get gear that's a little better than BM but only by +4 in every stat kind of like it is now.

I am adamantly against implementing arenas. Rated Warzones are great.

Arenas, in my opinion, greatly hurt <the game that shall not be named>. And mind you, I am an AVID PvPer... I went through the High Warlord grind pre-cross server and hit Gladiator rankings 3 of the 4 seasons in BC (quit the game early in Wrath).

The problem with arenas is they "force" class balance to be focused on too micro of a scale - which inherently leads to homogenization. It's a struggle to implement unique abilities/mechanics because EVERYTHING becomes OP in one way or another. Because, frankly, it is too difficult to balance each potential combination of 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5. You will end up with more desirable combinations of classes no matter what you do.

There is so much more that could be said... but I will leave it at that.

Arenas... Thumbs Down from me.

Rated Warzones... Thumbs Up.

If they had arena it would only help showcase how laughably unbalanced classes are in this game.

It would also shut these pretenders up who think playing a fully BM equipped char = skill.

WZ heroes are everywhere talking about how good they are when their premade steamrolls a random pug full of clicking keyboard turning nubs.

Arena now!

I really cant understand how you are not seeing this. THERE IS NO FULLFILLMENT IN WARZONES. NOTHING.

Let's say you have full batllemaster gear. What have you done that is so special that no1 else could? What have you done that a bot couldnt? NOTHING.

Why keep playing warzones after you have full battlemaster gear? To see big crits on low geared people?

Like i said before. Warzones are great fun but they are not rewarding in the least. They are a means to an end. Why does everyone keep acting like arena brings forth balance issues and posts about how OP a certain class is.

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THE PVP FORUM. No arena = no QQ posts <<<<<<YEAAAAAAAAAA

And also people who enjoy taking quotes out of context, get this once and for all. Blizzard regretted implementing arenas SO LATE INTO THE GAME.

This game is still new and with AMAZING prospects. Arena won't ruin it, if anything it will only enhance the experience and attract a larger focus group.

It takes 0 skill to get the most prestigeous PVP rank/gear. That's what my problem is. Can you clear Karragas Palace on nightmare with a random PUG?

UNDERSTAND THIS. PLEASE.

To qoute Jon Snow: ARE YOU BLIND OR IS IT THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO SEE?

P.S. Arena doesn't CREATE balance issues, it HIGHLIGHTS them for a decent developer team who can separate a keyturning noob's QQ and actual problems with the game.

Edited by Entrerix

^ simply all i can say... well put i wish for arenas to make an appearnce within swtor... if devs plan for swtor to stay a float. than arenas will be put in and the QQers will continue QQing and running their weekly raids. and the real MMO players will enjoy their enhanced and enjoyable arena ratings and good ol' fashion facesmashing in the only place that matters in any pvp system, on the sand, the one and only place where true honor and glory can be achieved, The Arena. No body gives a **** you can defeat an AI controlled zone that does the same moves every time and has to be turned away from the group... PvE is the most boring and unenjoyable most of all unchallenging aspect to MMOs. PvP is the true thrill ride that makes players either one of two things, love it and have an unquenchable thirst for players blood, or QQ all day on forums about broken classes and wish that arena never existed... these are the facts.

Thoughts brought to you by:

Dmorta :D (Sith Assassin, Darth Malak)

I'd love there to be some 3-5 vs 3-5 type maps myself, that are based entirely around pvp rather than pve objectives with pvp flagged players. A team leaderboard would be fine to.

I wouldn't want there to be a different gear grind for it though. For me being able to outfit my alt instead of just burning through tokens I'm never going to use on my main would be a pretty cool perk.

What I find bad is that arenas are dominated by a few "comps".

I play swtor with a friend of mine. We enjoy PVP, but if they implement arenas tomorrow morning ; one of us will have to re-roll Sorc, or we won't be able to play together and stay competitive.

It was the same in wow (and thats the reason I didnt stay hooked very long): In order to play together, we would have been forced to re roll to different classes because there was no synergy between us.

I want more pvp : World pvp, and competitive/ranked Wz.

What I find bad is that arenas are dominated by a few "comps".

I play swtor with a friend of mine. We enjoy PVP, but if they implement arenas tomorrow morning ; one of us will have to re-roll Sorc, or we won't be able to play together and stay competitive.

It was the same in wow (and thats the reason I didnt stay hooked very long): In order to play together, we would have been forced to re roll to different classes because there was no synergy between us.

I want more pvp : World pvp, and competitive/ranked Wz.

It's ok for you guys to lose every fight because you have no synergy, just not if the other guys gain something from it. Am I reading that correctly?

Seriously. I don't care either way if Arena's are implemented, but some of you people need to get over yourselves. You are not all star athletes that can't be defeated, there are and will be people who are better than you and they will ALWAYS beat you. These are the people that you will come up against in rated play - because you just aren't as good as you think you are.

This will inevitably end with QQ post about how whatever class you just lost to is overpowered. It's already happening now.

Arena was never a measure of skill.. it was a measure of who could exploit the current dream-team combos and burn every CD you had int he first 30 seconds.

And they're introducing rated warzones..... So your argument=invalid.

People who don't think arena was skill are people who failed at arena and consider battlegrounds/warzones the pinnacle of skill, it's THAT simple.

Granted, there were cheese comps ( warr rogue druid in TBC, beastcleaves in WoTLK, RLS in Cata, to name a few, etc etc ofc ), but usually the better players won.

Stop being ignorant.

edit

The guy few posts above me summed it up. There is ZERO fulfillment in doing mindless PvP with no reason. I think many MMO players have passed that point long long time ago.

Heck, when I was 15, I enjoyed simply PvPing in WSG, picking up berserker buff and oneshotting people with my Soulfire.

The problem is, I'm not a newbie to MMOs anymore, and I'm not 15 anymore, same goes for many many others. I'm 21 now, I'm looking for a "competitive" platform to test myself against others - that became the standard to MMO PvP ever since WoW TBC came out.

It doesn't matter if it's not balanced, rated warzones would/will be cool and all, but that's pure objective play. I don't want to follow objectives, I want to pit myself against equal number of PvPers on other side and see who kills the enemy team first, them or my team.

THAT'S skill, organised small scale PvP where the team that has better improvisation, overall skill, and general understanding of their classes/enemy classes - ultimately wins.

Huttball is fun, but it isn't skill. You can roll 2 tank assassins, 2 tank juggernauts and 4 healer inquisitors, a team that can't be killed nor stopped from scoring a goal. What's the point in that ?

Voidstar will be ties between two equally skilled teams with normal composition.

Alderaan will be games where each team has one base and are fighting the whole match for 3rd, with no chance of capping.

Huttball will be a game of who has the better turtle, unkillable team with more knockbacks.

Arena ? 4 pillars, placed in a moderately sized space, and pure PvP action.

I think I've said enough.

Edited by Kennobai

Granted, there were cheese comps ( warr rogue druid in TBC, beastcleaves in WoTLK, RLS in Cata, to name a few, etc etc ofc ), but usually the better players won.

And this is why I don't want arenas. Better players > better combinations but a lot of times that doesn't seem to matter. I think my overall attitude can be summed up in a signature I saw on the forum that went along the lines of

"Rock and paper are fine, nerf scissors!" -Paper

In essence that's what always seems to happen when arena gets introduced. Classes and/or builds that weren't noticeably overpowered in PvE or even objective based PvP suddenly become the focal point for every other class update leaving the people who seldom PvP or enjoy objective based PvP are happy with because I can coordinate with my team and tell them "okay my your class has a better chance of taking on that person and I'm my class is better at fighting the other person so I'll cc the other guy while we take down our first target and then we can focus on the primary objective."

Once arenas are added though it's: "Devs my class isn't as good in 1v1's against this particular class, change it change it change it!!!!!"

and that's what happened in WoW, I don't want to see it happen here.

Now if a class is universally overpowered/underpowered and can use a buff/nerf I'm fine with that but all too often it's the arena crybabies that are upset their rating isn't as high as they think it should be and therefore think class balances should revolve around them and them alone.

I would love arena in this game...could care less if its balanced or not hell im gonna end up makeing 1 of each class anyway ill just use whats the most fun.. dont care if it has special gear the normal pvp stuff is fine by me... if your gonna make rated warzones why the hell not throw arena in... big differance between 8v8 and 3v3? what you gotta keep track of wins/loss's big deal.... i play with a small group of people that iv known for years (star wars galaxy then wow) we have always screwed around in arena...we have sucked and owned.... i mean why not would it be that horrible to have something else to do...i dont care how many times you beat the hardest raid there is nothing like going 3v3 and seeing what happens

Once arenas are added though it's: "Devs my class isn't as good in 1v1's against this particular class, change it change it change it!!!!!"

FACEPALM, because arena is 1v1.....

That's the point of arenas. 1v1 is close to IMPOSSIBLE to balance. 2v2 is completely impossible. But 3v3 is already self balancing.

For example, If you are an assassin/shadow, you will have a hard time 1v1 vs tank classes. However in 3v3, the tank class wont do enough damage to you that your healer can't easily overheal. The fact that they can survive, does it make them op or simply they choose survival before damage...

Edited by Entrerix

I don't know how anyone can say there is a huge imbalance issue. This games class balance is the best I have ever seen in an mmo. What SPECIFIC class balances are you talking about?

oh god i cant stop laughing best balance ever

Edited by Undeadkingx

The game has zero balance, broken mechanics, a silly gearing system for pvp.. hell, I'm not even sure they got the credit working for pvp wins on the worst couple of daily quest ever put in an MMO.

But, yea.. right. Let's get them to put in Arena right now. That will certainly go well... Is there anyone, anywhere that thinks they could actually code this in any meaningful way?

Edited by Drakks