Arena, implement competitive PVP.

Entrerix

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used to play wow, as soon as blizzard set up arena the game became broken as the classes ( they tried to balance them but at the end they lost their soul)!!

i do hope swotor won 't do the same mistake. they should work on ranked BG as did blizzard at the end though.

i d just quote one of the wow's ceo who recognised the arena had been the worst mistake they did.

LOL.

Right, and the reason you did that -- despite hunters, enhance shaman, and Boomkins being oh-so-viable -- is really because you enjoyed the play style, right?

:D C'mon, kid, who do you think you're fooling with this stuff?

Hunters : Junglecleave, KFC, PHDK etc

Enhance: Beastcleave, RSD, Meleecleave

Boomkins: LSD2, MDP + since there are 3 ways to play a DRUID why should 1 of them be viable in everything?

yes i love rogue playstyle, been playing it through the whole wow career.

Now tyo business. The reason the brackets look the way they do atm is because rogues have legendary daggers and casters have access to a legendary staff and dragon soul trinket are just way to insane to be allowed in PVP. That was the reason i quit wow. Because of the PVE. It was mostly a test of whose trinkets proc first. RMP and RLS are dominant ONLY because of this. If you check the numbers from previous seasons you will understand that if you were skilled, you would get high.

So to quote Ygritte from Game of Thrones: You know nothing.

I'm all for no arena as it did imbalance WoW. I quit WoW because i grinded all the way to level cap only to have players of the same level destroy me as if i was a level 20 simply because they had ARENA GEAR. Solo players like me didnt stand a chance due to fact that the only way to get arena gear was to get on a team, problem with that was the only people who would take you required you to have arena gear. I had the gear right under it and i was getting torn apart as if i was 30 lvls below them. I felt all that time spent was a waste. what was the point of geting to lvl cap if your still getting owned simply because they have better gear?

With that in mind i wish there would be no arena but simply improve and add on to what they already have this is what i'd like for them to do. But IF they do implement an arena the they need to do 1 of 2 things:

1. allow solo people to enter in 1 vs. 1 matches to allow them to get same gear as those entering in team battles

or

2. Do as some people are saying and dont make it about gear at all. Put no gear in as reward what so ever and instead giving them something else that does NOT improve their character. ( I prefer option 2)

If they do implement arena it needs to be about skill alone and not gear. Youll find people will be much happier and more intrested. It should be away to distinguish who the best players/teams are in the game and thats it. they could even make a tournament page strictly to show individual and team stats so everyone knows who they are.

My personal prefrence is and again this is me personaly....NO ARENA.

Please, Please, im beggin ya dont turn this into a gear dependent game!!

They closed my thread about demanding an answer about arena, only to refer me here so I could necro a few weeks expired thread well ... whatever.. here was my basic post gist...

We want an answer if this game is getting arena or not, many PVPers are letting their subs expire as we want a competitive ranking system ( rated wzs are lame ).

How to make arenas work in this game perfectly -

Give NO rewards besides a ladder system. ( only acceptable rewards from carebears are vanity items like a title or mount, even so most pvpers do not care )

Don't bother trying to class balance for the PVE side of the game. Simply buff or unbuff certain classes like you allready do in warzones to get level 11 players up to snuff with level 49 , you can just do it on a much minor level, and tweak from there. Meaning an arena only buff, or debuff in some cases, thus never effecting pvp.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, they need to crack down on cheating, and they are.

Yes, they need to implement competitive PvP.

NO, it does not need to be 2v2, 3v3, or 5v5 ARENA based.

You can have competitive PvP without obsoleting and negating all other forms of PvP. You can have competitive PvP without implementing a system that forces you to balance your game around that system. Ranked Warzones are the way to do this.

We don't need arena, if you feel that you do, there is already another game providing it, go back to it.

NO! That is comparable to rated BG's in WoW which sounded good but turned out to be a weak farm fest.

What about the guys who wants to test their individual skill? That gets totally drowned in basically anything above 5v5. Even 5v5 is too many for this kind of PvP.

There's a difference, and there are groups who wants both. Stop being anal.

Arena is but a glorified team deathmatch. Quite honestly, I feel it requires less skill than a properly balanced warzone map being played by two competitive teams. Arena is merely about killing the other group, whereas warzones actually require more teamwork and tactical ability to actually achieve the objectives on the map while at the same time killing people.

i don't see where an objective based match implies more skill needed than a deathmatch.

i see less class and fighting skills needed but more overall tactics needed instead.

Let's not pretend that there is any other reason for Arena to be considered the pinnacle of PvP in WoW but for Blizzard making it so, and not exactly to the preference of every player, to say the least. It's the most simplistic and least interesting form of PvP there is, as far as I am concerned. As such I am far more interested in a competitive system such as ranked warzones combined with map tweaking and fixes where needed, rather than some glorified deathmatch.

i feel the oposite. warzones are for me the the simpliest and most boring kind of pvp. bigger grps are less of individuel players skill on handlihg their class but more about overall global tactics and positioning.

this does not make group pvp less nice or important but they are a different kind of pvp. i am interested in small scale pvp because i like to maximize the profit of my skills in a fight, in using my class skills to counter the opponents one.

in a grp pvp this is less important and less needed as its more about focusing and objectives.

Edited by me_unknown

If they had arena it would only help showcase how laughably unbalanced classes are in this game.

Are u serious!!! The game has only been out for 3 months and the balance is great! It took WOW 5 years to get it right!

You are seriously going to imply that this games balance is worse than Wows? lol

Ranged versus melee. With the amount of CC in this game, there is literally no disadvantage to being ranged. Melee, on the other hand.... Enjoy being constantly slowed/stunned/rooted/snared/KB'd/Pushed/Pulled and derped on by tab-targeting sorc/sages and mercs/commandos. As if that isn't enough, they added autoface and warzones designed to make it even easier to perch and mouthbreath. So yes, this game's balance is worse than WoW.

Personally I'm voting strictly no for arenas because I know what they did to WoW.

If you got nothing to do and got bored of warzones, go out into the actual game world and create some fun PVP. Sure, you don't have any e-peen leaderboards but you got fun and glory.

If there was a world pvp zone/area it would be worth going there, tatooine seems dead and finding players my lvl so I wouldn't be "ganking" haha seems im possible as the entire galaxy is a big place.

Arena would be awsome and the in balance that so many posters are suggesting exists, I dont see it really in SWTOR exemption to sorcerers/agents who just 1 button spam. But in an arena situation 2v2 for example you could easily shut down 1 of these players and kill the other.

As an EX WOW arena junkie I feel as do thousands of other's, arena and gear aquired from winning arena would be a fantastic bonus and bring some good gameing experiences to SWTOR.

Thexremstar ;)

I'm all for no arena as it did imbalance WoW. I quit WoW because i grinded all the way to level cap only to have players of the same level destroy me as if i was a level 20 simply because they had ARENA GEAR. Solo players like me didnt stand a chance due to fact that the only way to get arena gear was to get on a team, problem with that was the only people who would take you required you to have arena gear. I had the gear right under it and i was getting torn apart as if i was 30 lvls below them. I felt all that time spent was a waste. what was the point of geting to lvl cap if your still getting owned simply because they have better gear?

With that in mind i wish there would be no arena but simply improve and add on to what they already have this is what i'd like for them to do. But IF they do implement an arena the they need to do 1 of 2 things:

1. allow solo people to enter in 1 vs. 1 matches to allow them to get same gear as those entering in team battles

or

2. Do as some people are saying and dont make it about gear at all. Put no gear in as reward what so ever and instead giving them something else that does NOT improve their character. ( I prefer option 2)

If they do implement arena it needs to be about skill alone and not gear. Youll find people will be much happier and more intrested. It should be away to distinguish who the best players/teams are in the game and thats it. they could even make a tournament page strictly to show individual and team stats so everyone knows who they are.

My personal prefrence is and again this is me personaly....NO ARENA.

Please, Please, im beggin ya dont turn this into a gear dependent game!!

MMR's and makeing them work properly not rigged bye players that carried players through. A proper non rigger match makeing rateing "once qued thats the gear your going in wearing, no changeing gear inside" useing the rank you gain either thru ranked wz or arena or split them up it doesnt matter.

The game as it is now I feel GCD is the winner not allowing macros or addons. Arena this way would be skill based!

Thexremstar

Those who think arena is a burn fest or talk about unbalance, either 1 dosent know how to use their class or interrupt and 2 Don't know what the hell they are talking about and prolly have never won an arena cause they are horrible.

I think arena would be another aspect of the game that would intrigue good PVPERs (GOOD) to play more often. I know i would. I would also have fun KO'ing the pep who are horrible and whine and complain that there is imbalance or that we are cheating.

I vote YES on arenas.

Arenas should be implemented if rated warzones are. It will create another facet of pvp. As long as rwz and arenas give the same rewards and are both played a lot, there should be no issues as to why it should not be introduced. It all depends on implementation.

I will probably make a few allusions to WoW in this post since it is the closest analogy I can make at the moment. Small scale and large scale pvp rely on a lot of different skills and a lot of people actually prefer a close knit group of friends aka 3v3. RBG in wow didn't actually make all classes usable in PvP. On the contrary, the current ideal comp for a current season RBG group is very very selective (but this probably has more to do with gear than anything).

I dislike rbg over arena for a few reasons. One is the fact that there are so many people in there that I may not necessarily be playing with all friends or the people I want to play with. Another is that because there are so many dps and a lot more people in a bg you can just zerg one target and you don't have to be as individually skilled to score kills. I also noticed as playing a priest in RBG is that I cannot use my entire skillset a lot and I am usually pigeonholed into what I am best at that I almost do nothing else : dispelling and healbotting. Sure, there may be some points where individual skills and synergy really matter such as delaying caps against a larger number of players of ninjaing etc but I feel that this is not as important as in arena.

The upside of wz/bg I think is that it can be really relaxing to play sometimes and it also depends a lot on the team coordination and strategy as a whole i.e. how many people you send where and how you cover stuff etc.

And to dispel a few myths:

- Very few changes have been made historically for PvP reasons that changed PvE in WoW

- You can to a certain degree overcome comps if you play well but there will always be rock paper scissors and FotM in an MMO

- RBG don't really make better and smarter players than arena. There are so many rbg heroes who can't play for crap in smaller pvp settings. The same can sometimes be said though for arena players who cannot adapt to a large coordinated team setting and follow instructions.

Standard group size on swtor is 4 party members...2v2 is impossible to balance but with 8 advanced classes a party of 4 could have half of them and that would really offset the balance aspect. All advanced classes would be viable in a 4v4 setting.

The other complaint seems to be gear, and i agree arena shouldnt be the only source for the best gear, but if it were identical to warzone gear then whats the harm? i just want it as an option to break the monotony of objective pvp and let me get to a more stripped down version of brutal pvp.

4v4 arenas to get warzone gear, cosmetic stuff for high ratings and you would satisfy most players.

• 2 weeks later...
I normally hate arena since it causes awful nerfs to happen and is nothing more than FotM- however, since BW already is making stupid nerfs and FotM classes- maybe arena will at least shut up some of the morons who think certain classes are the best just cuz people play them.

Thankfully BW doesn't agree with the OP or most of the pro-arena crowd (which seems to be getting smaller and less vocal these days).

We will be getting competitive PvP, hopefully after this joke of a pre-season is over and we have cross server PvP rated will be more appealing to the masses, as it is with the pre-season matchmaking system it's a joke, but the testing needs to be done and hopefully the correct improvements will be made.

That said, I'm glad they chose to go with a larger scale to competitive PvP. Arena, in ALL of it's forms, is too exclusive and involves little to no strategy, other than what you've memorized off of a better player's blog when it comes to changing your plans to fit the comp you're facing.

Hopefully ranked warzones (rated BGs are where blizzard truly wanted to go with competitive pvp, but the premature implemention of arena hampered that) will end up showing us that a larger scale PvP environment can be just as tactical and interesting (if not more so) than smaller scale arena.

But the fact remains that arena, in the form that you are requesting, is not coming, not with 1.2, and not likely in the short term following that either.

Edited by Celebrus

Deathmatch is not the only form of competetive PvP. In fact, if you look at what actually pays money in the eSports scene - competetive PvP is almost never deathmatch. Only in fighting games, really.

Deathmatch is awful, and forces them to try to balance around FOTM comps and microscopically sized teams. They have no desire to do that (and good for them). I dont blame them.

Deathmatch is not the only form of competetive PvP. In fact, if you look at what actually pays money in the eSports scene - competetive PvP is almost never deathmatch. Only in fighting games, really.

Deathmatch is awful, and forces them to try to balance around FOTM comps and microscopically sized teams. They have no desire to do that (and good for them). I dont blame them.

This.

There is a reason that competitive teams in CoD play S&D and not deathmatch.

Objectives add flair and strategy to a match without taking away from the core concepts of PvP: fight other players.

Edited by Celebrus