The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

/facepalm - Who didn't see this coming?

JScranton

Okay, so kudos for trying to fix the chest exploit on Ilum, right? Wait, not so fast....

By changing the timer on the chest respawn on Ilum, who didn't see they would drop back 1 planet, and do it there instead? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Really, that was the best fix you could come up with? How about a level cap on the planets? Or the chests themselves? And don't try to fix it by putting golds there, that will only hurt the legitimate people trying to get the chests. Why? Because those exploiting this can't be attacked. Without going into great detail, they are under ground, and thus, the mobs don't see them as a threat.

If you don't think that they dropped back to another planet, just do a /who...already on my server, there's already at least 1 level 11, and I'm sure by Friday, there will be 10 or more on each server.

Why is this an issue? The chests have nothing worthwhile in them.

I'm assuming this is your first MMO?

Gold farmers, credit farmers, whatever you want to call them drive the price up on all tradeable goods in MMO's. By over inflating the amount of currency in the game, they also in turn over inflate the price of goods. If you don't purchase gold/credits and you don't exploit them yourself, you'll soon find that you won't be able to afford the same goods tomorrow, that you could today.

Okay, so kudos for trying to fix the chest exploit on Ilum, right? Wait, not so fast....

By changing the timer on the chest respawn on Ilum, who didn't see they would drop back 1 planet, and do it there instead? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Really, that was the best fix you could come up with? How about a level cap on the planets? Or the chests themselves? And don't try to fix it by putting golds there, that will only hurt the legitimate people trying to get the chests. Why? Because those exploiting this can't be attacked. Without going into great detail, they are under ground, and thus, the mobs don't see them as a threat.

If you don't think that they dropped back to another planet, just do a /who...already on my server, there's already at least 1 level 11, and I'm sure by Friday, there will be 10 or more on each server.

"under the ground"

Maybe that explains why I never see any chests in the Free For All PVP area on Tatooine even though noone is ever around.

Patch notes a while ago said that the Mecenary Chests would start spawning again.

I was curious what a Mercenary Chest was, so I went to the Outlaws Den but couldn't find any chests or anyone else. And have checked several times since then with same results (just FPS type power ups).

I figured it was either still broken or chests only spawned if there were other people there.

But if they're hiding under the terrain...

Why is this an issue? The chests have nothing worthwhile in them.

What's the respawn time? I read it was 8 minutes. Take 1500 credits times 180 and it's an easy 270k credits per day, plus whatever else is in the chest. People just buy themselves an extra account for easy credits.

I've actually read the chests have over 3k credits in the so it could be an easy half million credits per day.

Edited by Kourage

Who the hell buys credits? I really don't see how credit farmers can survive in this game. Players get SOOOO many credits, and have NOTHING to spend them on at 50.

I've gotten almost no spam since the game started, and I think I know why. It isn't because Bioware is awesome at shutting them down, it is because most have discovered they cannot make a profit selling credits in this game.

There are chests in your own faction camps. No need to go to an area where mobs will agro.

For Corellia, sure. Probably why the bots are there now.

"Harvesting nodes in Ilum no longer spawn in friendly bases. "

Edited by Kourage

What's the respawn time? I read it was 8 minutes. Take 1500 credits times 180 and it's an easy 270k credits per day, plus whatever else is in the chest. People just buy themselves an extra account for easy credits.

I've actually read the chests have over 3k credits in the so it could be an easy half million credits per day.

Exactly, when you factor in the items in the chest, it's well over a half a million credits per day. It won't be long before this newly introduced currency inflates the price of tradeable goods on every server, and that's only short term what effects it will have.

Who the hell buys credits? I really don't see how credit farmers can survive in this game. Players get SOOOO many credits, and have NOTHING to spend them on at 50.

I've gotten almost no spam since the game started, and I think I know why. It isn't because Bioware is awesome at shutting them down, it is because most have discovered they cannot make a profit selling credits in this game.

Let's see:

1) Gearing up before doing endgame flashpoints might require some players to get crafted items from GTN.

2) Rerolls can benefit from items from the GTN.

3) Companion gear can be had from GTN.

4) As time rolls on, I'm sure that just like every other MMO out there, there will be PLENTY of items that will only be had thru tradeskills.

All of the above will be inflated in price. Dismiss it, just like many others do in MMO's thinking it doesn't have any impact on their gamestyle...

Also, if there isn't a market for selling currency, trust me when I say that the gold/gil/credit/currency selling websites would not even bother trying to sell the currency here. Take a moment, and stop into any of the currency selling sites, and you'll see that indeed, they are selling it.

So many potential fixes which would not require significant additional work:

Chest contents tied to opener's level (L11 character opens a chest on a L50 world, he's never gonna get anything above the contents of a L16 chest) (possibly the most complex to implement)

Lock worlds to level ranges (say 5 levels below the lowest content on the planet - easy to invent a viable RP reason why you can't go there too)

Give chests the same opening mechanic as harvestable nodes, only tied to level rather than a crew skill (this lockbox requires 300 skill to open, this chest requires L46 to open, etc.)

Attempting to open chest automatically alerts the guarding elite/champ (for those boxes behind tough mobs) and cannot be opened unless boss is dead.

Level cap on chest or planet would not solve the issue. They would just up to 50 in two days and park (remember famers work in teams so grinding to 50 is no problem). Which if you think about it is faster credits. Instead of one level 7 with one crew member, you could have 5 crew members doing slicing missions, log on to chest, switch to next level 50 at other chest location and repeat. You get about 6 of them going and it is steady fast credits.

The real question is, who actually buys credits? It is so easy to get just from slicing and missions.