Comparing SWTOR to WoW

DarthBubba

People want to compare 2012 WoW to 2012 SWTOR. Let not, let do 2010 WoW and 2012 SWTOR. Why I say that. What was released in Cataclysm (don't mind my spelling).

WoW: 25 Level of zones 10 for Worgan, 10 for Goblins, and 5 cap.

SWTOR: 70 Level of Zone, 20 each faction and the 30 shared. 50 level of story between 8 class.

WoW: 3 battle ground; Twin Tower, Battle of Guilnese, Tolbard

SWTOR: 3 Warzone, + 2 PVP zones even if bugged.

WoW: Classes 0

SWTOR: 8 how ever you want to brake it.

WoW: Instant: 6?

SWTOR: Flashpoint: 8+, don't have a high enough character to be sure.

WoW: Raid: Maybe 1

SWTOR: 1 operation

Amazily SWTOR release more then Catacylse. Should they have had more yes. But they did more then WoW did with one expansion. And as for some of the stuff lacking, these are going to be add soon as stated, as in UI customization. Or is a design decision, which you can agree with or not, but not a lack of thinking.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing a game released in 2004 to one that was out in 2012 is flawed. BW had modern technology, a vastly larger budget and more years to make their game.

Other games from smaller companies like rift were released with a competitive amount of polished features than WoW. What they lacked they had within 2 months.

I have not even heard SWTOR talk about a LFG system, or new raid content, or fixing their current content. All they have said for 1.2, which isnt even for a full month is...a guild bank.

Ya know, I absolutely love this game with a passion, but OPs post is a complete joke. WoW was released almost 8 years ago. 8 FREAKING YEARS AGO. SWTOR had years to look at WoW and then make their own game where as WoW pretty much did what it did from scratch. To say that PvP for SWTOR is better because it has 3 battlegrounds while WoW had 0 is a complete joke. The only reason there are even battlegrounds to begin with is because WoW made them popular. People need to realize something. This is a great game in its own right, but it is nowhere near the quality of a game that WoW is. WoW has had years of polish to it and to say that at this juncture in SWTORs life cycle that SWTOR is even close to WoW is just wrong.

Exactly. Dead on.

People want to compare 2012 WoW to 2012 SWTOR. Let not, let do 2010 WoW and 2012 SWTOR. Why I say that. What was released in Cataclysm (don't mind my spelling).

SWTOR: 70 Level of Zone, 20 each faction and the 30 shared. 50 level of story between 8 class.

Amazily SWTOR release more then Catacylse. Should they have had more yes. But they did more then WoW did with one expansion. And as for some of the stuff lacking, these are going to be add soon as stated, as in UI customization. Or is a design decision, which you can agree with or not, but not a lack of thinking.

So youre comparing whole game to an expansion? What are your thoughts between Modern warfare 3 the game and its new mappack?

You don't have a single thing right in this post. lol. Not a single thing is accurate. Not even close. Literally EVERY single one of your numbers is far, far, far off.

I don't assume that at all but it's something that should have been in at launch. It stuff like that which would have kept me busy when I didn't have a raid. It's the fluff that would have made the wait for any kind of word on balancing my class easier.

When you have this stuff in at launch you expand upon it. You add more collections, more pets, etc. You don't add it all in at once and say, "these are all the achievements and pets this game will have".

I agree there are many things that should have been at launch but for some reason bioware didnt include them. Again people want everything thats in wow in this game and its an unreasonable expectation to have it all right now. That's what you get when you listen to the Entitlement Generation that mmo's have catered to for the last 10 years. No patiences whiners is what this genre has created.

I agree there are many things that should have been at launch but for some reason bioware didnt include them. Again people want everything thats in wow in this game and its an unreasonable expectation to have it all right now. That's what you get when you listen to the Entitlement Generation that mmo's have catered to for the last 10 years. No patiences whiners is what this genre has created.

And we come full circle. It's not an unreasonable expectation when other games came out with comparable features at launch

I don't get topics like this. I'm tired of WoW, I mean real tired, have no wish to play it at all. At the moment i find this to be a very nice game to spend some time with and especially like the story of course. However, to find all these topics bashing WoW is kind of depressing. WoW is an amazing game overall, not for everyone and the story is bad beyond belief by now, but still a great game in every sense of the word. While I understand people liking SWTOR more, I'm honestly confused to why every other MMO has to be **** for that to happen?

Also, comparing this game to WoW at release makes so little sense that I can't even describe it. 8 years isn't just development time in numbers, it reflects a different technology and society compared to today.

How is it an unreasonable expectation to have basic features in a game that have been present in the genre for almost a decade? This game had 200 million dollars pumped into it, I expect it to appear like it has.

What features are you talking about? What are these "basic" features because what you call "basic" someone could say "you dont need that crap".

I really hate threads like this because it all comes down to opinion, and you no the say right?

Opinion are like __________ everyone has one. What you like or dislike really doesn't matter at the end of the day. Here is my opinion about WoW take it or leave it. This is the WoW of 2012. First off I don't care about features, I care about gameplay and the fact of am I having fun? With Swtor I am having fun. So anything anyone say about it Swtor not having certian features at release and crying about it will find I will not listen to them. Why? Here's a hint I don't care as long as I am having fun.

To those that want the LFD and LFR I'm sorry but those 2 features are the worst thing WoW ever did. I did a looking for raid and the WoW players were so bad they couldn't even kill the boss. This is pretty much how the playerbase in WoW is. WoW player base is toxic and rude. Between the stupid people who think they can play and rude elistiest players who yell in raids all the time these 2 FEATURES have ruined the game. You want to run something find a guild and run something. Hell why have guilds at all when you can do LFR and LFD FEATURES. I still play WoW but I ONLY log in to raid. I refuse to use those to features at all. I only raid with my guild and once Deathwing is dead and we are farming it I will more than likely stop playing.

I refuse to play the Panda/pokemon expansion they are completely changing the talent system in a way I don't really care for. Beside this is Blizzard we will at some point not sure when though get some new content out for you Entertianment. The same company that take 10 plus years to release a new game D3 oh wait we won't be seeing that this year either if we do it will be maybe Dec. Blizzard is a company running out of ideas and when I log into the game I see that. I play games for fun not because of the features they have.

I like Swtor because for the first time in a very long time I see potenial and I am having fun.

Take it or leave it WoW is a dying game. Don't get me wrong it will be a painfully slow death, but it's dying none the less. in less then a year they have bled 10% of their playerbase that is not a good sign. I wish I could put it out of it's misery so we could all move on from threads like this but this is the way things are atm.

Take it or leave it that is my opinion. I play for fun not features. Swtor is fun so I will keep subbing until the day I don't find it fun anymore.

SWTOR needs to compete with WHAT IS OUT NOW. With WoW announcing a new expansion a gamer asks himself "what features of the game do I like better" before they decide which one to spend their money and time on (for players who dont want to pay for 2 subscriptions). No point in comparing SWTOR (2012) with WoW (2004) because if you go play WoW at this point in time, none of the points you made are true.

Not at all unrealistic. When you consider the budget allotted to this game, and the time frame in which they had to create it, as well as the wealth of information available to them, it looks quite silly.

Well i'll say it again then. You release content in an mmo OVER TIME. If you give people everything they want at release then you have nothing to offer in the future. And honestly if these "features" were so important to the game would you still be playing if it they werent there? No. You are still playing the game without all these "necessary" features because they are a luxury not a necessity.

You don't have a single thing right in this post. lol. Not a single thing is accurate. Not even close. Literally EVERY single one of your numbers is far, far, far off.

Like how you state something without stating anything to surport it. So if I'm wrong where. Let see.

Look it up and I am wrong about the raids. But never was a raider so never cared.

But want try the rest.

WoW had 16 Dugeons on releas.

SWTOR about 15. List has 17 but think 2 are from this new patch so.

Battle ground. No

SWTOR: Voidstar, Hutt Ball, Alderan

WoW: Gilnease, Twin Peak, and Tolbard

SWTOR should had more, but WoW should release way more for $60 expansion

Like how you state something without stating anything to surport it. So if I'm wrong where. Let see.

Look it up and I am wrong about the raids. But never was a raider so never cared.

But want try the rest.

WoW had 16 Dugeons on releas.

SWTOR about 15. List has 17 but think 2 are from this new patch so.

Battle ground. No

SWTOR: Voidstar, Hutt Ball, Alderan

WoW: Gilnease, Twin Peak, and Tolbard

SWTOR should had more, but WoW should release way more for $60 expansion

Perhaps true, but the expansion only cost 35.

This was just deleted and i was sent a warning email from the admin. so Im re-posting (sub canceled so last week so Im not fused about a potential ban) i just don't see what's aggressive about it.

I loved both games (subscribe to none now.... wow boring after 7 years and SWTOR boring at 50)

But we have to be honest here..... if BW really want to compete, they have to do it with what's available to the consumer now.

Every company releases its products to compete with the current market..... no one Will say "yeah its alright now but I'll sub for 7 years and see if it catches up to wow standards" Lots of people enjoy this game because its nothing like wow. That could be what BW were going for (though judging by the grind fest at 50 i don't think that's the case)

People should be able to enjoy this game without these stupid threads popping up.

But if BW were trying to compete with WoW standards (and i think they as a business would want to). They need to compete with wow as it is now.... not what it was 7 years ago.