Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

I'm calling BS on a thriving game with 1.7M active subs. The game has around 200 servers and supposedly 1.7M subs so that an estimated 8500 players per server. So if your server has 8500 active you should see at least 1500 in fleet during prime time. I hear heavy pop servers have like 300 in fleet at most during prime time. The numbers just don't add up something is not right. 1.7 I highly doubt it. If they have 1m active i would honestly be surprised.

Can't tell if serious...

Is this the part where the hidden cameras pop out and tell me this is a joke???

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you are trying to do here, steal the thunder and make the sub numbers look worse. However, the majority of those numbers are already paid subscribers and out of the ones that haven't the majority will stay based on the statistics already pulled. I would say at the lowest it would dip down to lets say....1.3m? Would you not say that is fair? !.3 m is very solid and GASP, the best start for an mmo in NA.

I hope that bioware pumps out the content and they will need to to grow or even sustain their current subscribers. What was unheard of in terms of that other MMo *cough* WoW, was the rate it grew. I'm not sure any MMO outside of a true successor to WoW could ever match that. You don't have to match that to be successful though and I think that's where most people are missing the boat. If TOR is at 2 subscribers million by next December, that would be really great and an excellent business model for them. I think they can do it but it's just sad to see so many detractors and people who genuinely want to see the game fail.

I'm not saying anything. Simply supplying the whole picture for you to consider.

Or does something about the whole picture bother you?

;)

Actually, I think the new push is to move boxes, shake out the population so that only the fanbois, who will accept any level of garbage, are left, and ride whatever old-school level of subscriptions they'll float at from then on.

That's why this niche game wasn't marketed as such. There's a reason why this game feels like a SPRPG with online capabilities.

Vanilla didn't work that way.

Let me be clear:

YAWN

Actually, I think the new push is to move boxes, shake out the population so that only the fanbois, who will accept any level of garbage, are left, and ride whatever old-school level of subscriptions they'll float at from then on.

That's why this niche game wasn't marketed as such. There's a reason why this game feels like a SPRPG with online capabilities.

Vanilla didn't work that way.

Haters cornered and resorting to ad hominem attacks.

Rest of us with real data, evidence, and 1.7 million players to have fun with.

You lose this round, haters! :]

This ^^^^

yummy tears are yummy. Some people may want to get familiar and comfortable with the idea that the game is a success. The vast majority of the mainstream playerbase doesn't even notice the little flaws you scream about.

That's how WoW survived and became successful.

Edited by Abriael

Yeah, Enron produced all the factual numbers, too. So did AIG. Look where that got 'em. Someone needs to take a close, hard look a those "facts." Look around you when you're in-game.

The company launched “Star Wars” in late December, and reported it has sold through more than 2 million units of the game and now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in.
So the number is definitely being couched within free month numbers, because you had to enter some form of payment option to even access your free month.

As near as I can tell, 1.7M subscribers covers everyone who bought a box and activated an account. We have no way of even telling if people who cancelled before being charged a subscription fee were included.

Is there a transcript somewhere?

Yeah, Enron produced all the factual numbers, too. So did AIG. Look where that got 'em. Someone needs to take a close, hard look a those "facts." Look around you when you're in-game.

I am in game now. I'm surrounded by people.

Numbers given during an official investor call are fact. Get over it. Falsifying them is a federal offense. :rolleyes:

AIG didn't falsify anything - you should have stopped your comparizon after Enron.

So the number is definitely being couched within free month numbers, because you had to enter some form of payment option to even access your free month.

As near as I can tell, 1.7M subscribers covers everyone who bought a box and activated an account. We have no way of even telling if people who cancelled before being charged a subscription fee were included.

It is real clear that is you played on day 1 and cancelled before your free time is up, you are not counted. that just isn't as many people as you might have thought, based on reading this forum :)

It is obvious that this game has at least 37.2 million subs. I can verify this by my maths skills.

On wednesdays there is a group of players that go to quesh, and while on Quesh we count the number of players there in a 24 hour span. We then travel to Balmorra and do the same for a 24 hour span. We do this for each planet for 24 hours until we have counted all the players on every planet in the game. Then we add that total to the number of servers and multiply by the server disconnect factor of 1.75^10. It is at this point that we multiply that number again by a factor determined by a D100 die.

End result:

37.2 million subs. Prove me wrong.

Edited by XOrionX

Are you insinuating that EA fudged the numbers on TOR? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds? Why on God's green earth would they fudge the numbers on this ONE game? Let alone expect to get away with it. EA and BioWare do a lot more than just TOR. The success of their companies isn't hanging by a single thread called "The Old Republic".

hahaha..

I love how people think there's 1.7 million subscribers to this game. Too funny! :)

What's funny is you continuing to deny that the sky is, in fact, blue. Even when shown evidence you blindly declare otherwise.

So, how would you like that crow cooked?

Face it folks, this game rocks and will continue to be around a long, long time....Having a deep cinematicly-presented storyline, and making leveling a critical part of the game entices casual players.
I'm so scared for the genre right now.

I suspect I feel like old MMOers must have felt when WoW released. Except vanilla was an almost happy balance.

If really poorly, but generally visually appealing, cutscenes with meaningless choices can entertain the casuals so well, and the genre is so prone to just copying the most recent feature that attracts braindead drones, then future MMOs will make Hello Kitty Island Adventure look like a hardcore paradise.

No. The numbers indicate the users active NOW, not counting those that already unsubscribed.

Here's what Riccitello said word by word:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/02/01/star-wars-the-old-republic-jumps-to-light-speed-with-over-1-7-millions-active-subscribers/

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/star-wars-the-old-republic-reaches-17-million-active-subscribers/

Active subscriber numbers will ALWAYS include a percentage of people that still didn't finish their first free month, as long as people continue to purchase the game.

I am in game now. I'm surrounded by people.

Numbers given during an official investor call are fact. Get over it. Falsifying them is a federal offense. :rolleyes:

The stupidity is so strong with this forum..

The REASON SW:TOR made us put in a credit card number before even getting the first month is two-fold..

1.) To release these incredibly faulty, inflated numbers to appear successful

2.) To purposely "remove" the Unsubscribe button the day before and day of the point when the free month ends, thus scamming thousands of people into simply staying without choice.

Take those two things out and we're down to easily 500k.. if not less. Dwindling by the day.

The REASON SW:TOR made us put in a credit card number before even getting the first month is two-fold..

2.) To purposely "remove" the Unsubscribe button the day before and day of the point when the free month ends, thus scamming thousands of people into simply staying without choice.

Take those two things out and we're down to easily 500k.. if not less. Dwindling by the day.

Keep digging that hole. :p

Wrong.

I'm so scared for the genre right now.

I suspect I feel like old MMOers must have felt when WoW released. Except vanilla was an almost happy balance.

If really poorly, but generally visually appealing, cutscenes with meaningless choices can entertain the casuals so well, and the genre is so prone to just copying the most recent feature that attracts braindead drones, then future MMOs will make Hello Kitty Island Adventure look like a hardcore paradise.

Any game with a bit of intellectual honesty would be scared with the genre if a game this large and polished (for a MMORPG at launch, and it's a LOT more polished than wow was) were to fail.

It would mean that there's simply no space in the market for new MMORPGs.

But of course some haters lack the intellectual honesty to admit that.

AIG didn't falsify anything - you should have stopped your comparizon after Enron.

Actually it did. In a major way. Interesting.

It surprises me how much we buy into everything we are handed, especially when it suits us. The numbers don't fit what we are experiencing. So to wave this magic number in front of our faces is meaningless. It makes no sense.