SWTOR was promising. I liked it untill now.

jordanph

I personally don't care much of the opinion of people who grind that fast. They just want to be first and then complain that they are SOO 1337.

You deserve not to have something to do at this point, you didnt enjoy the leveling I guess. For me the content is actually pretty good and the reason I am not rushing.

WHat an asinine response. The path to 50 is very similar, assuming two people pick PvE content. The speed has more to do with free time than grinding fast.

I had a 50 on January 3 and have another 47 who is only not 50 because I've been waiting for a guildy to group and finish the last couple planets.

I literally did every quest on every planet twice. Tell me again how that is grinding fast and not enjoying the content?

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with swtor is they copied the basic model of WoW, but left out some of the most important parts to keep people playing for a long period of time.

I will say the leveling experience blows WoW out of the water, but apart from that and the graphics i can't say it beats WoW.

Honestly i doubt it would even be doing this well if it didn't borrow the star wars name to get all the fanboys (Obviously not everyone who likes this game is a fanboy, but that's the only reason this game has soon so well in the first 2 months)

you're absolutely right but the ppl here have their heads shoved so far up their assets, they can't see the light of day, just a transluscent brown tint...

Right, and you're just a pillar of the community who sees everything so clearly?

Gimme a break. You and the people like you do nothing but ***** and you seem to think that's ok, but when someone defends the game you think they have their heads up their ***?

Here's an idea, if SWTOR is so awful why don't you go play a game you enjoy? Seriously, what mental disorder keeps a person who hates a game sticking around?

Do you think that normal, rational, and well-adjusted people hang around things they don't enjoy?

I think the only people who have their heads up their asses are people are constantly taking shots and moaning about a game that they are not forced to play. The rest of us are hanging around because we actually like the game.

To be clear, "play less of our game" is not generally an indicator that BW did a good job.

Those with their fanboy goggles on seem to keep throwing that out there; really?

The Best MMO's continue to reward you if you pass over some arbitrary "you play too much!" line.

Where did I say "play less of our game"? I in fact was saying "play more of our game." The reality is, if you leveled to 50 in a couple of days, you skipped a ton of content. Don't argue, it's just FACT that you HAD to skip tons and tons of stuff to do, particularly the story stuff that was the advertised-ahead-of-time and you -knew-it-when-you-bought-it focus of this game. "Waaaaaah, there's nothing to do at level cap" sounds 100%, completely and utterly disingenuous and ridiculous when there's hundreds of hours of stuff to do before you hit 50 and the only reason you're now bored and feel like there's "nothing to do" is because you did as little as possible as fast as possible to get to the level cap. Pretty lame.

I have a 41 Bounty Hunter .. 50 Smuggler ... 25 Consular ... 32 Juggernaught ...

You stated in your OP that you, (To Paraphrase) "Have thoroughly enjoyed this game till now". So basically you're stating that you loved the leveling experience ...

Well I can personally tell you .. After making multiple toons and experiencing the same zones once or twice ... They don't feel the same ... And your class story is what feels like it's controlling where you go and what you do, even if it isn't directly linked to the side quests...

Don't give some crack-pot dumb excuse saying that "You think the zones will be boring a second time round" .... If you haven't bloody well tried it then you can't knock on it for "Not being Fun".

I don't need to do it again to know what it will be like. I have played other MMOs. However in other MMOs you get a choice of two or three zones to go to. Not just one planet. The class quest will not change anything except one quest chain.

Quite a bit of points you omitted or you just didn't come in to WoW early enough because a lot of stuff listed didn't happen till either patches or later expansion. Plus Bioware is either already working on things similar to what they have or it is already implemented.

Arena. Yes arena added excitement to PvP and added competition. I enjoy competition and therefore is why SWTOR has lost its edge for me. No matter how much you hate arena it is still better than anything SWTOR has to offer at this moment. It consists of rewards if you are good and is not dependant on others. It feels personal to you making a team. Just endless hours could be spent trying to increase rating and the feeling of winning was great.

Arena was not even part of the game until their first expansion rolled in.

Ratings for arena and battleground groups. Added competition and elitism. Made the community thrive in a bad or good way. Depends how you think about it.

Lol this didn't even come in until Cataclysm. Oh and btw Bioware already stated that have a rating system in the works for Pvp.

Battleground were alot larger than SWTORs and added an MMO feel to it. Mounting included.

New BG already in the works. Plus Wow did not even have Bg's at launch.

It didn't just involve token rewards from dungeons. The actual gear from dungeons was useful. Made people have a sense of excitement when killing a boss waiting for loot to drop. Wasn't free access to token gear at the end of each dungeon.

The loot in the Flashpoints is actually valuable assuming you didn't farm for pvp gear. Oh and WoW was the epitome of free gear at the end of bc, all of wrath, and through cata.

The token grind for gear that was worth XXXX amount of tokens wasn't long. It was only 2 weeks of lock time or so. Compared to SWTOR this is short.

So you don't want free gear but you want gear faster?

One of my favorite features of WoW when it was in WoW was the daily heroic where you had to kill a specific boss in a specific dungeon.

Already in the game. Except you have to do the flash point in its entirety not just a boss.

I posted one or two rage posts after I got imperial raided in pvp at illum etc like everyone did. Usually I only post on the forums to display a point that needed improving. But to my friends that I know and people in game I have been defending the game. I wanted improvement and pointed it out. Bioware did nothing with the thousands of posts.

What do you mean they did nothing to the thousands of posts...do you want a personalized response? Development time for these suggestions are much longer than a month, they're patching regularly and adding/fixing stuff, I really don't see what the big problem is. This has been one of the most complete mmos at launch that I've seen in a while. RIFT was close too, but I played it at launch and lag issues made doing those "awesome" world events impossible. Not to mention, it felt like I was just playing a a WoW EQ2 mashup. At least TOR has the SW lore to keep it interesting for now. But the point is, when I came across issues, I didn't go out of my way to ***** about it. The dev's aren't stupid, they know what is wrong, and they will fix it. All complaints at this point are hamster wheels. And all WoW comparisons have been done, they're not helpful or constructive. Everyone knows what WoW has. Just ask Mr. T and Chuck Norris.

Just take a break and come back laterz imo.

i keep wanting to resub to rift i mean they are CONSTANTLY throwing out free this free that.

i mean i want to really like rift and play it. but i have yet to even get past level 32 in that game.

what really bothers me is the fact that the areas are way to small. and the NPC's holy crap those NPC's are EVERYWHERE. the spawning system literally if you kill 8 npcs they will respawn in 10 seconds FLAT.

TOR has high respawn also but you can decimate those respawns quickly. not so in Rift

also in rift there seems to be a lot of mirror spells i'm not to sure on the function of repeat spells.

The OP is comparing features that took years to develop in other games to a new game that has different strengths. Give BW some time to add in more content. WoW shipped without battlegrounds, with no raids or endgame content and it took months to get all the extra stuff in, including numerous class rebalances.

TOR will get more stuff, it has shipped with far more than WoW did and if you don't rush to endgame because WoW has convinced you that is what an MMO is all about and enjoy the levelling experience you won't be stuck doing 3 BGs till BW has the resources to put more stuff in game.

BW needed to launch the game so that it could get more money for more development. It didn't ship with all the features it will have, no MMO does, not WoW, not Rift nor any other MMO you might play. If you are burned out from doing FP's, Ops and PvP, maybe you should play a little less each week or level an alt on the opposing faction to try out life on the other side. If you have done that then enjoy the social elements, go exploring, have you gotten all the datacrons?

About the only thing I agree with in his post is that the communities on each server are a little small. I would much rather they halved the number of servers. I like smaller populations but there seems to be just a little too little population.

The other features will come over the next few months. They have delivered new content last patch and I am sure we will some more new content in the next major patch. Maybe a new WZ. Oddly enough WoW only had 3 BGs for over the first year, Rift only has a couple. Complaining there are only 3 + Illum sounds like you are just whinging or looking for things to not be happy about.

TLDR - OP has played the game non stop for 1 month and is bored because he expects the game to be released with features most MMO's don't have until they are at least 6 months old. OP needs to spend some time varying his hobbies and not be on a game 24/7 so this doesn't happen in future.

Hello

I got to level fifty about one month ago from now and I couldn't stop bragging about how amazing this game was. I was on these forums daily trying to fight away the people who hate this game and making suggestions for end game. Quite simply you can call me blinded and obsessed. I couldn't face denial that this game actually is bad.

Here I am now then telling you why I dislike the game and seeing if I can relate to those who back up this game that had promise but has lost it.

1) PvP:

PvP was promising. Huttball was new and enjoyable (imo) and the other two warzones were attractive and easy to get used to. However after playing these same three warzones over and over with no differentiation is a drag. Especially having to get to valor 60 for the best gear simply either farming rare empire kills in illum (I say rare because each one I attack has 5 people on back-up behind them) or farming those three warzones alot!!

"Why can you not play this game just because you enjoy playing?" I did enjoy playing but come on, be logical. Doing the same three things over and over simply doesn't maintain it's excitement.

2) PvE: Just flashpoint after flashpoint and the only reason to do it is for the gear piece at the end to be traded for columi. No decent gear any other way. Flashpoint drops were terrible. Took forever to find a full group even tho its only 4 man. No reputation gains to buy gear from reputation vendors etc. Just a boring one way street.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvP

• Dueling in durotar/elwynn added competitiveness against own faction. Cannot happen here because there is no dueling area within 10 seconds from the main part of the fleet without going through a loading screen.
  • Arena. Yes arena added excitement to PvP and added competition. I enjoy competition and therefore is why SWTOR has lost its edge for me. No matter how much you hate arena it is still better than anything SWTOR has to offer at this moment. It consists of rewards if you are good and is not dependant on others. It feels personal to you making a team. Just endless hours could be spent trying to increase rating and the feeling of winning was great.
  • Ratings for arena and battleground groups. Added competition and elitism. Made the community thrive in a bad or good way. Depends how you think about it.
  • Battleground were alot larger than SWTORs and added an MMO feel to it. Mounting included.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvE

• It didn't just involve token rewards from dungeons. The actual gear from dungeons was useful. Made people have a sense of excitement when killing a boss waiting for loot to drop. Wasn't free access to token gear at the end of each dungeon.
  • The token grind for gear that was worth XXXX amount of tokens wasn't long. It was only 2 weeks of lock time or so. Compared to SWTOR this is short.
  • One of my favorite features of WoW when it was in WoW was the daily heroic where you had to kill a specific boss in a specific dungeon.
  • Dungeon finder was easy to use and using it gave rewards.

The reasons why WoW was enjoyable

• Community was larger and auction house was thriving. Had an actual economy. Felt good.
  • Events that took place when events took palce in reality. E.G christmas events that gave you decent rewards from doing christmas stuff or valentines day etc etc.
  • You could re-do you characters hair style at the barbers.
  • Professions felt great once they were leveled to the max. Felt like you achieved something.
  • Fishing, Archaeology, First aid etc
  • You could attack the enemy cities. Also attack towns and cities alone as long as you avoided elites because guards were only normal mobs. In SWTOR guards are champions for most places.
  • Flying mounts
  • Quick travel with portals.
  • Daily quest zone had dailys close together and it interacted with opposite faction. So it could also be pvp. Zones were small and easy to complete. Not a drag. Illum daily area doesn't have much zones shared with imperial and is quite the drag in illum.
  • Guilds had reputation/amazing rewards for being exalted with guild. Heirlooms to level alts with. Mounts etc.
  • The ammount of gear varied massively and it wasn't allways the vendor gear that was the best. Unlike SWTOR where you can only rely on vendor gear.

The reasons why Rift was enjoyable for me (I played no part in pvp so I have no idea what it is like)

• Frequent world events / updates. Rifts opened and invasions happened where community would group up.
  • Zones were shared with opposite faction at higher level instead of split into two halves.
  • PvE gear was aquired only from bosses. Vendor gear was not necessary the best gear again. Also crafted gear was good and there was crafting daily/weekly.
  • Crafting was updated frequently
  • Training dummys
  • Multiple currencys from rifts. Allowed purchase of gear that could be used at end-game level.
  • Reputation mounts.
  • 10-man instances were completely different to 25-man. 10 man rifts were available and 5 man.
  • two tiers of dungeon at launch.
  • and more!

Welcome to just launched MMO. :)

I don't need to do it again to know what it will be like. I have played other MMOs. However in other MMOs you get a choice of two or three zones to go to. Not just one planet. The class quest will not change anything except one quest chain.

So this game is exactly like other MMO's?

And you can validate not even trying to level another toon based off OTHER MMO's experiences??

No, you can't. Please don't even try and pull this crap.

Also I said the class quest DIRECTS THE FLOW of questing (This is how questing works in general) and so even though your doing a zone for the second time, the world feels different because you are there on a different purpose, set of Goals, story ect.

Sure the quests are the same ... But your character playstyle (Should be unless you enjoy doing stupid things like Scoundrel Smuggler and then making a Operative Agent) will be very different .. So the zones definitely have a different feel to them. Naturally this is my opinion ... And you could have a VERY different perspective on how you play ... But you haven't even TRIED leveling a new character .. You're just making assumptions, actually give it a try for ahwhile and you might find it fun.

Am I missing something here? Is there a rule stopping us from playing one MMO at a time ? crap...I am subbed to 4 MMOs...cops are going to bust my door anytime soon!!

If you don't enjoy the game, play the one you will enjoy and come back to check on it later. Game development is not over night thing.

Sorry but the last thing you want to do in an MMO is replay the same planet again with 1 quest chain different on each planet.(class story). It doesn't work that way. Also the single player aspects of green phases where you would enter by yourself, take control of the building by yourself, the republic would move in and take control of the place, you would then go outside and see imperials defending the place???? Failed phasing much? I mean why take over a position and be told its been taken just to walk outside and see that it clearly hasn't. Or the imperials standing outside didn't see the army of republic enter and take over the position?

Learn to phase. Make phasing world scale for real MMO experience.

Thata a pretty weak plan for longevity

if you want competitive pvp, play a game designed for it. very few mmos are. warhammer tried, but that didnt work out. there are many, many games designed specifically for competitive pvp. lol, hon, etc etc.

i see far too much of "i bought an apple, advertised as an apple, and got an apple. now i am pointing out to everyone that this apple is infact not an orange, and that is BW fault cos i wanted an orange."

Hello

I got to level fifty about one month ago from now and I couldn't stop bragging about how amazing this game was. I was on these forums daily trying to fight away the people who hate this game and making suggestions for end game. Quite simply you can call me blinded and obsessed. I couldn't face denial that this game actually is bad.

Here I am now then telling you why I dislike the game and seeing if I can relate to those who back up this game that had promise but has lost it.

1) PvP:

PvP was promising. Huttball was new and enjoyable (imo) and the other two warzones were attractive and easy to get used to. However after playing these same three warzones over and over with no differentiation is a drag. Especially having to get to valor 60 for the best gear simply either farming rare empire kills in illum (I say rare because each one I attack has 5 people on back-up behind them) or farming those three warzones alot!!

"Why can you not play this game just because you enjoy playing?" I did enjoy playing but come on, be logical. Doing the same three things over and over simply doesn't maintain it's excitement.

2) PvE: Just flashpoint after flashpoint and the only reason to do it is for the gear piece at the end to be traded for columi. No decent gear any other way. Flashpoint drops were terrible. Took forever to find a full group even tho its only 4 man. No reputation gains to buy gear from reputation vendors etc. Just a boring one way street.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvP

• Dueling in durotar/elwynn added competitiveness against own faction. Cannot happen here because there is no dueling area within 10 seconds from the main part of the fleet without going through a loading screen.
  • Arena. Yes arena added excitement to PvP and added competition. I enjoy competition and therefore is why SWTOR has lost its edge for me. No matter how much you hate arena it is still better than anything SWTOR has to offer at this moment. It consists of rewards if you are good and is not dependant on others. It feels personal to you making a team. Just endless hours could be spent trying to increase rating and the feeling of winning was great.
  • Ratings for arena and battleground groups. Added competition and elitism. Made the community thrive in a bad or good way. Depends how you think about it.
  • Battleground were alot larger than SWTORs and added an MMO feel to it. Mounting included.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvE

• It didn't just involve token rewards from dungeons. The actual gear from dungeons was useful. Made people have a sense of excitement when killing a boss waiting for loot to drop. Wasn't free access to token gear at the end of each dungeon.
  • The token grind for gear that was worth XXXX amount of tokens wasn't long. It was only 2 weeks of lock time or so. Compared to SWTOR this is short.
  • One of my favorite features of WoW when it was in WoW was the daily heroic where you had to kill a specific boss in a specific dungeon.
  • Dungeon finder was easy to use and using it gave rewards.

The reasons why WoW was enjoyable

• Community was larger and auction house was thriving. Had an actual economy. Felt good.
  • Events that took place when events took palce in reality. E.G christmas events that gave you decent rewards from doing christmas stuff or valentines day etc etc.
  • You could re-do you characters hair style at the barbers.
  • Professions felt great once they were leveled to the max. Felt like you achieved something.
  • Fishing, Archaeology, First aid etc
  • You could attack the enemy cities. Also attack towns and cities alone as long as you avoided elites because guards were only normal mobs. In SWTOR guards are champions for most places.
  • Flying mounts
  • Quick travel with portals.
  • Daily quest zone had dailys close together and it interacted with opposite faction. So it could also be pvp. Zones were small and easy to complete. Not a drag. Illum daily area doesn't have much zones shared with imperial and is quite the drag in illum.
  • Guilds had reputation/amazing rewards for being exalted with guild. Heirlooms to level alts with. Mounts etc.
  • The ammount of gear varied massively and it wasn't allways the vendor gear that was the best. Unlike SWTOR where you can only rely on vendor gear.

The reasons why Rift was enjoyable for me (I played no part in pvp so I have no idea what it is like)

• Frequent world events / updates. Rifts opened and invasions happened where community would group up.
  • Zones were shared with opposite faction at higher level instead of split into two halves.
  • PvE gear was aquired only from bosses. Vendor gear was not necessary the best gear again. Also crafted gear was good and there was crafting daily/weekly.
  • Crafting was updated frequently
  • Training dummys
  • Multiple currencys from rifts. Allowed purchase of gear that could be used at end-game level.
  • Reputation mounts.
  • 10-man instances were completely different to 25-man. 10 man rifts were available and 5 man.
  • two tiers of dungeon at launch.
  • and more!

Go back to Rift, I did. Game is amazing and more content than you can imagine now. I couldn't believe it. But hey, it took a failure like SWTOR to make me realize just how good a game Trion made.

Yet I don't see any posts actually saying "I disagree".

All I see is "go back to wow/rift" or "stop trolling" or other kinds of insults.

If you disagree... say it but stop ripping people apart for having a different opinion. That's how people are bullied - they have different opinions than you.

Yet I don't see any posts actually saying "I disagree".

All I see is "go back to wow/rift" or "stop trolling" or other kinds of insults.

If you disagree... say it but stop ripping people apart for having a different opinion. That's how people are bullied - they have different opinions than you.

Or they could not whine in the first place and simply go do something else without letting the rest of the world know?

TL;DR

Reasons why WoW's PvP was enjoyable:

-They had years to improve, add BGs, arenas and whatnot.

Reasons why WoW's PvE was enjoyable:

-They had years to improve, learn how to better handle loot distribution, encounters, how long should it take to farm tokens and whatnot.

Reasons why WoW was enjoyable:

-Back when it started, the standards for MMOs were low. Really low. Don't let the EQ fanboys fool you, you either lost your soul to that game or you were ****. WoW pretty much molded how MMOs should be nowadays, specially how it became viable to casuals(larger market at the cost of game quality...aka BC>wrath/cata)

Reasons why Rift was enjoyable:

-Its WoW with a ****** armor/weapon designer.

WoW took all that worked in games before it and used those. It was ground breaking mostly in the fact for what they stole. Before WoW there were a ton of games that crapped out. There were a ton of features that did not work. WoW was the culmination of all of the best mechanics from that crop that DID work out. It is why WoW got the leap ahead.

Years after that they began to innovate and add to the ground model.

WoW took all that worked in games before it and used those. It was ground breaking mostly in the fact for what they stole. Before WoW there were a ton of games that crapped out. There were a ton of features that did not work. WoW was the culmination of all of the best mechanics from that crop that DID work out. It is why WoW got the leap ahead.

Years after that they began to innovate and add to the ground model.

No. Well....yea, no.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.