SWTOR was promising. I liked it untill now.

jordanph

Hello

I got to level fifty about one month ago from now and I couldn't stop bragging about how amazing this game was. I was on these forums daily trying to fight away the people who hate this game and making suggestions for end game. Quite simply you can call me blinded and obsessed. I couldn't face denial that this game actually is bad.

Here I am now then telling you why I dislike the game and seeing if I can relate to those who back up this game that had promise but has lost it.

1) PvP:

PvP was promising. Huttball was new and enjoyable (imo) and the other two warzones were attractive and easy to get used to. However after playing these same three warzones over and over with no differentiation is a drag. Especially having to get to valor 60 for the best gear simply either farming rare empire kills in illum (I say rare because each one I attack has 5 people on back-up behind them) or farming those three warzones alot!!

"Why can you not play this game just because you enjoy playing?" I did enjoy playing but come on, be logical. Doing the same three things over and over simply doesn't maintain it's excitement.

2) PvE: Just flashpoint after flashpoint and the only reason to do it is for the gear piece at the end to be traded for columi. No decent gear any other way. Flashpoint drops were terrible. Took forever to find a full group even tho its only 4 man. No reputation gains to buy gear from reputation vendors etc. Just a boring one way street.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvP

• Dueling in durotar/elwynn added competitiveness against own faction. Cannot happen here because there is no dueling area within 10 seconds from the main part of the fleet without going through a loading screen.
  • Arena. Yes arena added excitement to PvP and added competition. I enjoy competition and therefore is why SWTOR has lost its edge for me. No matter how much you hate arena it is still better than anything SWTOR has to offer at this moment. It consists of rewards if you are good and is not dependant on others. It feels personal to you making a team. Just endless hours could be spent trying to increase rating and the feeling of winning was great.
  • Ratings for arena and battleground groups. Added competition and elitism. Made the community thrive in a bad or good way. Depends how you think about it.
  • Battleground were alot larger than SWTORs and added an MMO feel to it. Mounting included.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvE

• It didn't just involve token rewards from dungeons. The actual gear from dungeons was useful. Made people have a sense of excitement when killing a boss waiting for loot to drop. Wasn't free access to token gear at the end of each dungeon.
  • The token grind for gear that was worth XXXX amount of tokens wasn't long. It was only 2 weeks of lock time or so. Compared to SWTOR this is short.
  • One of my favorite features of WoW when it was in WoW was the daily heroic where you had to kill a specific boss in a specific dungeon.
  • Dungeon finder was easy to use and using it gave rewards.

The reasons why WoW was enjoyable

• Community was larger and auction house was thriving. Had an actual economy. Felt good.
  • Events that took place when events took palce in reality. E.G christmas events that gave you decent rewards from doing christmas stuff or valentines day etc etc.
  • You could re-do you characters hair style at the barbers.
  • Professions felt great once they were leveled to the max. Felt like you achieved something.
  • Fishing, Archaeology, First aid etc
  • You could attack the enemy cities. Also attack towns and cities alone as long as you avoided elites because guards were only normal mobs. In SWTOR guards are champions for most places.
  • Flying mounts
  • Quick travel with portals.
  • Daily quest zone had dailys close together and it interacted with opposite faction. So it could also be pvp. Zones were small and easy to complete. Not a drag. Illum daily area doesn't have much zones shared with imperial and is quite the drag in illum.
  • Guilds had reputation/amazing rewards for being exalted with guild. Heirlooms to level alts with. Mounts etc.
  • The ammount of gear varied massively and it wasn't allways the vendor gear that was the best. Unlike SWTOR where you can only rely on vendor gear.

The reasons why Rift was enjoyable for me (I played no part in pvp so I have no idea what it is like)

• Frequent world events / updates. Rifts opened and invasions happened where community would group up.
  • Zones were shared with opposite faction at higher level instead of split into two halves.
  • PvE gear was aquired only from bosses. Vendor gear was not necessary the best gear again. Also crafted gear was good and there was crafting daily/weekly.
  • Crafting was updated frequently
  • Training dummys
  • Multiple currencys from rifts. Allowed purchase of gear that could be used at end-game level.
  • Reputation mounts.
  • 10-man instances were completely different to 25-man. 10 man rifts were available and 5 man.
  • two tiers of dungeon at launch.
  • and more!

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

I got to level fifty about one month ago from now and I couldn't stop bragging about how amazing this game was. I was on these forums daily trying to fight away the people who hate this game and making suggestions for end game. Quite simply you can call me blinded and obsessed. I couldn't face denial that this game actually is bad.

Here I am now then telling you why I dislike the game and seeing if I can relate to those who back up this game that had promise but has lost it.

1) PvP:

PvP was promising. Huttball was new and enjoyable (imo) and the other two warzones were attractive and easy to get used to. However after playing these same three warzones over and over with no differentiation is a drag. Especially having to get to valor 60 for the best gear simply either farming rare empire kills in illum (I say rare because each one I attack has 5 people on back-up behind them) or farming those three warzones alot!!

"Why can you not play this game just because you enjoy playing?" I did enjoy playing but come on, be logical. Doing the same three things over and over simply doesn't maintain it's excitement.

2) PvE: Just flashpoint after flashpoint and the only reason to do it is for the gear piece at the end to be traded for columi. No decent gear any other way. Flashpoint drops were terrible. Took forever to find a full group even tho its only 4 man. No reputation gains to buy gear from reputation vendors etc. Just a boring one way street.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvP

• Dueling in durotar/elwynn added competitiveness against own faction. Cannot happen here because there is no dueling area within 10 seconds from the main part of the fleet without going through a loading screen.
  • Arena. Yes arena added excitement to PvP and added competition. I enjoy competition and therefore is why SWTOR has lost its edge for me. No matter how much you hate arena it is still better than anything SWTOR has to offer at this moment. It consists of rewards if you are good and is not dependant on others. It feels personal to you making a team. Just endless hours could be spent trying to increase rating and the feeling of winning was great.
  • Ratings for arena and battleground groups. Added competition and elitism. Made the community thrive in a bad or good way. Depends how you think about it.
  • Battleground were alot larger than SWTORs and added an MMO feel to it. Mounting included.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvE

• It didn't just involve token rewards from dungeons. The actual gear from dungeons was useful. Made people have a sense of excitement when killing a boss waiting for loot to drop. Wasn't free access to token gear at the end of each dungeon.
  • The token grind for gear that was worth XXXX amount of tokens wasn't long. It was only 2 weeks of lock time or so. Compared to SWTOR this is short.
  • One of my favorite features of WoW when it was in WoW was the daily heroic where you had to kill a specific boss in a specific dungeon.
  • Dungeon finder was easy to use and using it gave rewards.

The reasons why WoW was enjoyable

• Community was larger and auction house was thriving. Had an actual economy. Felt good.
  • Events that took place when events took palce in reality. E.G christmas events that gave you decent rewards from doing christmas stuff or valentines day etc etc.
  • You could re-do you characters hair style at the barbers.
  • Professions felt great once they were leveled to the max. Felt like you achieved something.
  • Fishing, Archaeology, First aid etc
  • You could attack the enemy cities. Also attack towns and cities alone as long as you avoided elites because guards were only normal mobs. In SWTOR guards are champions for most places.
  • Flying mounts
  • Quick travel with portals.
  • Daily quest zone had dailys close together and it interacted with opposite faction. So it could also be pvp. Zones were small and easy to complete. Not a drag. Illum daily area doesn't have much zones shared with imperial and is quite the drag in illum.
  • Guilds had reputation/amazing rewards for being exalted with guild. Heirlooms to level alts with. Mounts etc.
  • The ammount of gear varied massively and it wasn't allways the vendor gear that was the best. Unlike SWTOR where you can only rely on vendor gear.

The reasons why Rift was enjoyable for me (I played no part in pvp so I have no idea what it is like)

• Frequent world events / updates. Rifts opened and invasions happened where community would group up.
  • Zones were shared with opposite faction at higher level instead of split into two halves.
  • PvE gear was aquired only from bosses. Vendor gear was not necessary the best gear again. Also crafted gear was good and there was crafting daily/weekly.
  • Crafting was updated frequently
  • Training dummys
  • Multiple currencys from rifts. Allowed purchase of gear that could be used at end-game level.
  • Reputation mounts.
  • 10-man instances were completely different to 25-man. 10 man rifts were available and 5 man.
  • two tiers of dungeon at launch.
  • and more!

Good post

He actually makes valid points. I believe its called 'Constructive Criticism'.

Merely pointing out where this game can improve.

If it was going to copy wow and rift these are the main things Swtor missed out, sadly some are extremely hard to repair.

You got to level 50 on Jan 1st? You must have played almost nonstop from the first day of early access.

I personally don't care much of the opinion of people who grind that fast. They just want to be first and then complain that they are SOO 1337.

You deserve not to have something to do at this point, you didnt enjoy the leveling I guess. For me the content is actually pretty good and the reason I am not rushing.

To all the fanboys who jump down everyone's throat every time someone mentions WoW, let people vent. They are making post like this because they want the game to be great. They want to play it for years like they did with WoW. Like it or not, WoW is still THE MMO to be compared too.

The only way this game will improve is feedback from the community. I'm sick and tired of every time someone criticizes this game, there are a flurry of posts by fanboys such as:

"This is perfect! BW is going to herald in the second coming of Jesus and can do no harm! Go back to WoW. How dare you say something that could improve this game!"

TL;DR

Reasons why WoW's PvP was enjoyable:

-They had years to improve, add BGs, arenas and whatnot.

Reasons why WoW's PvE was enjoyable:

-They had years to improve, learn how to better handle loot distribution, encounters, how long should it take to farm tokens and whatnot.

Reasons why WoW was enjoyable:

-Back when it started, the standards for MMOs were low. Really low. Don't let the EQ fanboys fool you, you either lost your soul to that game or you were ****. WoW pretty much molded how MMOs should be nowadays, specially how it became viable to casuals(larger market at the cost of game quality...aka BC>wrath/cata)

Reasons why Rift was enjoyable:

-Its WoW with a ****** armor/weapon designer.

Hello

I tried Eve Online and didn't really like it, I didn't keep playing. I am just thinking some games are not for some people.

I was fine reading this right up until you starting doing the WoW digs. Look, if you want the game to be WoW, why don't you just go play WoW? I doubt the devs are going to implement anything you listed just because those are things you liked about WoW. Even if they do implement anything of the kind it will likely not be exactly like WoW. So, why wait? Just go back to playing WoW.

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

Hello

a quick look at your post history didnt seem to back that up...you posted a "UNSUBBED" thread 2 weeks ago.... seriously dude? You were defending the game? ok.

Edited by daedalusmachine

So why arent you playing Rift or WoW? I understand maybe you figured you would try SWtOR but its not your thing so just go do what you like. I believe SWtOR will evolve into its own thing and I am going to enjoy the journey. Best of luck to you.

Why would I play those games if I purchased this game for £40. I quit this game today and made this post to show people why I have changed from protector to attacker. I wanted this game to be great and it simply wasn't. If they improve it fast I will come back. But other than that there is nothing special about this game other than leveling and that only lasts at most 8 times. (for each class).

So I will restart my subscription for either WoW or Rift today or tommorow. I hope bioware see this and understand why I and many others are leaving.

a quick look at your post history didnt seem to back that up...you posted a "UNSUBBED" thread 2 weeks ago.... seriously dude? You were defending the game? ok.

What is wrong with you ? why must you go and dig out the truth ? why can't you just take every word as granted!!

I posted one or two rage posts after I got imperial raided in pvp at illum etc like everyone did. Usually I only post on the forums to display a point that needed improving. But to my friends that I know and people in game I have been defending the game. I wanted improvement and pointed it out. Bioware did nothing with the thousands of posts.

The point he's making isn't about making the game WoW. He's merely using it as an example to articulate content features that are severely lacking in a game with a $300 million budget.

I love this game, I think its extremely well done but I must agree there are basic features that are missing and should be implemented as early as possible.

- Ability to move UI frames around. Playing at extremely high resolutions is virtually impossible, although a minority I play at 6048x1080. :|

- Combat log, this really should have been in on day one.

- Guild Recruitment channel in global chat(?)

- Basic armory type system (nice to have)

- Dungeon finder, and I don't mean that POS where I can see an icon next to someones name in the social panel.

- Class balancing needs to be addressed in a big way (juggernaut threat is TERRIBLE) but I can see this waiting until more urgent bugs are addressed.

Anyway, the list is long and everyone is going to have their own priorities. I think the post was EXTREMELY well done, and very constructive.

Kudos for writing it.

I'd prefer to see PvP removed from MMORPGs since it's pure garbge no matter how you roll it...so I could care less about PvP whining - I find it entertaining at least.

I'm enjoying TOR and have lots of stuff to do and that I want to do but I would agree that hard modes are severely screwed up.

The balance in hard modes is way off. You need X gear to have any hope of beating the all too common ultra short enrages that throw strategy out the window and turn way too many boss fights into dps races. Yet as a reward for beating those bosses you get drops that are useless...you vendor or give to companions.

I love doing instances/dungeons/flashpoints/whatever in whatever game. But I hate volumes of trash and I don't like super long instances. Super long instances are fun the first time only. When you're required to grind instances for gear, it is simply not fun to grind instances that take hours to complete.

I also love challenges. I like hard bosses. Many bosses in the hard modes are very fun. The enrages are really annoying since most bosses have fatal mechanics if you don't do them correctly. When you do beat a boss, it would be nice to see a decent piece of loot drop once in a while (ie, something you or another player can use). In TOR it just seems like reward vs effort and time is way off.

The joke that is PvP rewards people for doing instanced PvP garbage, where players don't have to try, don't have to be any good, and get rewarded whether they win or lose, and they can run those matches endlessly and in short bursts.

In PvE, we get incredibly long instances, where the only real reward is at the end, and if you fail, you get nothing except time loss.

I've yet to inspect a player and see them decked out in every slot with uber gear from hardmodes and operations. I inspect players decked out with PvP artifacts in every slot regularly and have for some time now. It's stupid easy to get PvP gear.

As a side note...there are PvP servers. I don't know if that means anything (like if people do anything different other than farm warfronts for easy gear). But what I'd like to see are pure PvE servers - with no PvP or PvPers.

to all the fanboys who jump down everyone's throat every time someone mentions wow, let people vent. They are making post like this because they want the game to be great. They want to play it for years like they did with wow. Like it or not, wow is still the mmo to be compared too.

The only way this game will improve is feedback from the community. I'm sick and tired of every time someone criticizes this game, there are a flurry of posts by fanboys such as:

"this is perfect! Bw is going to herald in the second coming of jesus and can do no harm! Go back to wow. How dare you say something that could improve this game!"

qftf.

this is pure gold. absolutely fantastic. this is why the forums are full of this crap. its the same ppl posting over and over, claiming they are unsubbing, when infact they simply burned out hard and need to go the hell outside. if you lvld to 50 in 2 weeks mr op, you NEED TO GO OUTSIDE.

Rift was extremely well thought out gear progression.its end game and pvp is much more indepth. Rifts problem is the leveling process is extremely dull and flat. When my guild is done with tor i will try to encourage them to revisit it if tor cannot right its listing ship

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.