Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

Main player base of this game is in the US same as the most installed base of Macs in the world which is actually 14% of the US market share.

I support the client for Mac, Blizzard can do it Turbine can do it, Why the hell not. It would be also a good start to rip out that abortion of an engine they have now.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see that this thread is still limping along and I sincerely hope that release a Mac client soon. If they were truly serious about it, they would have targeted a Mac version for Christmas.

I've been playing Lord of the Rings Online for about 3 weeks and Guild Wars 2 for just over a week using the Mac clients for each. They work great on my iMac and look fantastic.

After 3 different PCs dying in as many years, I'm done with them and I'm not going to install Bootcamp on my computer to play one game.

Come on, Bioware! Make it happen!

J

Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

This thread is for discussing support for an OS X client for Star Wars The Old Republic. Please keep comments related to that topic.

This is not a Bootcamp thread.

This is not a Mac Vs. PC thread.

NO let the MAC ppl live in there own world where MAC is SOOO much better then PC alone!!!

Haha just joking :D Yes I support a MAC OS X client for SWTOR always good to get new ppl to play this game :D

Please develop a stable version for Mac OS 10.6+, as a Universal Binary application. Starting with a newer OS would simply frustrate those like me who use 10.6 for reverse Mac OS compatibility also, through Rosetta. Trolling that I should update is pointless, because I'm asking for a UB version which would run on newer versions of the OS also.

This game is fun, and I play it on a Windows Vista partition on my Mac Pro. However, I dislike the instability of the Windows operating systems, and I'd like to run this game -- in a more stable 64-bit version -- on my 64-bit Mac OS. Thanks for all the work this would entail; I know, it takes a long time and lots of tears during the debugging process.

I just found out that a well-known MMO based on a famous book, or book trilogy, depending on who you ask, that was also made into a movie trilogy directed by a nice guy from New Zealand (enough already! you know what game I mean) has their Mac client on Beta :)

...just sayin' :rolleyes:

I just found out that a well-known MMO based on a famous book, or book trilogy, depending on who you ask, that was also made into a movie trilogy directed by a nice guy from New Zealand (enough already! you know what game I mean) has their Mac client on Beta :)

... and it runs bloody well!

I've been very impressed, saved me the trouble of having to run WMware :D

Pre-release there was a thread for supporting a Mac OS/x. At the time, there was plenty of support for it, as the thread had gotten restarted almost a dozen times last I had checked. Dunno if all those people would still be interested in the game though. Most of the people I knew personally who play on Macs were coming with the guild, and the guild lost interest in the game.

But, I play on a Mac and I had to buy a copy of Windows 7 to play the game. I would much prefer just playing straight from my Mac instead of booting up to Windows on it.

I'm not religious, but I would really prefer people use REAL stats when they quote market share:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Depending on the source, Mac market share is 8 to 9% and still seeing double-digit growth. Linux is less than 2% for all kernel variants combined. With the new iMac release, I would expect this number to continue to spike. It would be in BW's best interest to release a Mac client, especially after the abysmal Microsoft Win8 release. Mac saw a nice spike when Vista hit the market. I would anticipate the same seeing the sales numbers of both Microsoft and Apple last quarter.

• 3 weeks later...
It was not BW call. Until now there has been no move by HERO, the engine, to create a Mac Client, but that has shifted somewhat. There is or will be an OpenGL client of HERO. But IIRC most of the dev is going to focus on iOS not OS X. Either way, BW had made so many changes to the engine, it wold still take a huge dev team to port it over native to Mac. having said all that...I WNAT THE MAC CLIENT!!!!!!

I have a friend who uses the mac, most of the games she plays offer a mac version and she says that it takes time to reboot into windows and SWTOR and it's easier and quicker to play other games that she enjoys just as much.

She cancelled her subscription when she transitioned from windows to Mac and says she'd play again if there was a version for the mac... For the now GW2 runs on the mac, games like WoW run on the Mac, many other games offer a Mac client and she feels that she might just as well play those rather than have an entire partition dedicated to playing a single game. She even had to buy windows just to play... That's a big cost just to play one game!

She personally supports a mac version but to her distress knows that it won't be happening any time soon... :(

Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

This thread is for discussing support for an OS X client for Star Wars The Old Republic. Please keep comments related to that topic.

This is not a Bootcamp thread.

This is not a Mac Vs. PC thread.

How can you expect this NOT to be a Mac vs. PC thread, when 99% of the comments are going to be geared that way?

How can you expect this NOT to be a Mac vs. PC thread, when 99% of the comments are going to be geared that way?

Please, this is a thread for us Mac users that wants this game supported natively on our platform!

Yes, we've got bootcamp, but just imagine yourself in our sitation: the inconvenience of having to run another operating system every time you want to play this game? It's an inconvenient and a very clumsy solution, not to mention expensive!

Edited by gaearon

Please, this is a thread for us Mac users that wants this game supported natively on our platform!

Yes, we've got bootcamp, but just imagine yourself in our sitation: the inconvenience of having to run another operating system every time you want to play this game? It's an inconvenient and a very clumsy solution, not to mention expensive!

I wasn't even talking about your emulator. I can't imagine myself in your situation because I can't see myself paying 1,500-2,000 dollars for a computer that can't do everything when I can get one that can for 500-700 dollars less and still be able to upgrade it down the road.

Please don't take this as an attack on Mac users. I didn't mean it to be as such. I am just trying to bring something to light about how Apple overcharges you guys and forces you to buy a whole new system when you need to do something instead of upgrading components.

Having said that, I hope EAWare does give you a Mac Client because we need more subscribers for this great game.

Please don't take this as an attack on Mac users. I didn't mean it to be as such. I am just trying to bring something to light about how Apple overcharges you guys and forces you to buy a whole new system when you need to do something instead of upgrading components.

This thread is about supporting a native client for the Mac. Your quest for enlightment is better suited elsewhere.

Having said that, I hope EAWare does give you a Mac Client because we need more subscribers for this great game.

There you go. Thank you! :)

I can't imagine there are many people who really are not playing for lack of a mac client. It just doesn't seem like a good use of the developers time. Now with free to play I think you're just dreaming.

Actually, I just reactivated my account. My HP was ancient, and could barely run the game. I just upgraded to a rather fantastic MacBook, and when I learned that it doesn't come with a Mac format, I asked for a refund.

Without building some sort of insane Windows machine, I can't play the damn game. I lag too terribly on my desktop to even function. Here, with my new laptop, I was excited- I finally had a machine that could push the game to its limits!

But nope. Reactivating my sub was a waste of money. I'm not gonna use a ****** computer to play a game I love. I'd rather sacrifice the game than die every few minutes because the game won't register my heals.

Actually, I just reactivated my account. My HP was ancient, and could barely run the game. I just upgraded to a rather fantastic MacBook, and when I learned that it doesn't come with a Mac format, I asked for a refund.

Without building some sort of insane Windows machine, I can't play the damn game. I lag too terribly on my desktop to even function. Here, with my new laptop, I was excited- I finally had a machine that could push the game to its limits!

But nope. Reactivating my sub was a waste of money. I'm not gonna use a ****** computer to play a game I love. I'd rather sacrifice the game than die every few minutes because the game won't register my heals.

Well, you already paid them, but the downturn of TOR's population pretty much crushed any Mac Native Version coming out, even if you could run it better, your next 15 dollars isn't worth their dev time.

I own several Apple computers, and I game on none of them. There's a simple reason for it: they're not designed for it. Laptops (Windows or OSX) are crappy to game on anyway because of lack of heat dissipation and lack of upgrade capabilities. Apples are actually worse because of the aluminium body, which is great to transfer heat out of the machine, but this unfortunately means this heat gets transferred to your crotch and/or hands. Same applies to the iMac models, which are desktops, but are still glorified laptops. Why anyone would choose to play on an expensive laptop (Windows or OSX) is beyond me, since you can play SWTOR quite easily maxxed out on a 400 euro PC.

So I'd rather have BW/EA spend their time on other things than an OSX client.

Edited by NLxAROSA
Added paragraph