Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

I have a Mac and a PC. As much as I enjoy the Mac's OS, I do not think I could get used to playing games on it. I do believe that everyone should have the chance to play the game. One group of people should not be singled out by having them spend hundreds of dollars to go buy Windows.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of friends that I use to run with in other games. The only reason they can't play this game right now is because the wife of the couple owns a 4 year old Mac that runs the game at ~3FPS with bootcamp. I know you all can say "Get a better computer" but realistically it's just not possible for some people nowadays financially. Keep in mind these friends are a coast guard couple who serve our country day to day. Giving them the option to SWTOR on Mac would be a nice thing to do and would definitely gain Bioware at least 2 more subs. Think of all the other people in similar situations and release this game on iOS please.

I have a couple of friends that I use to run with in other games. The only reason they can't play this game right now is because the wife of the couple owns a 4 year old Mac that runs the game at ~3FPS with bootcamp. I know you all can say "Get a better computer" but realistically it's just not possible for some people nowadays financially. Keep in mind these friends are a coast guard couple who serve our country day to day. Giving them the option to SWTOR on Mac would be a nice thing to do and would definitely gain Bioware at least 2 more subs. Think of all the other people in similar situations and release this game on iOS please.

2 more subs. Totally worth it for them!

All jokes aside - you have to realize you need to get a new computer in order to play SWTOR.

Pretty much every single 'native' Mac OS X game performs MUCH worse than it's PC counterpart.

I had a Mac - it's not a gaming platform and you have to deal with it.

Pretty much every single 'native' Mac OS X game performs MUCH worse than it's PC counterpart.

Simple reason for that, Apple dont give a crap about games, they dont update drivers (and GFX manufacturers cannot release their own like they do on windows), opengl is out of date by about 2 years and DirectX is non-existent (obviously). Apple only care about 3D acceleration for graphic design purposes.

You are pretty much guaranteed better performance using bootcamp than a native OSX version. So if your mac manages 3FPS in SWTOR on windows it will do no better in OSX.

I support this game in mac osx :cool: ... I mean Elder Scrolls Online is coming out with a mac version, and WoW is for both PC's and Mac's ... why Bioware chose hero engine and to not make it mac compatible is beyond me :eek:

A Mac client? Sure. Why not. There are other priorities at the moment but after that I would love to have some of my Apple brethren enjoy the fun natively.

BTW, I would be very interested in seeing the impact of such a player base on the overall community.

Exactly. I don't own a Mac. Never have. But hey, why not give them an opportunity to enjoy the game? It would be very interesting to see what kind of impact they would have overall.

Oh... I have a pretty good idea on how things would go actually. The elitist will threaten to unsub and continue rants about L2P issues. Mac heads would loooove this game and defend it as a new Apple property. A few would explain that this will not solve problems with the LFG tool. And finally, there would be a few that would tell us that this is yet another reason why BW sucks. lol

2 more subs. Totally worth it for them!

All jokes aside - you have to realize you need to get a new computer in order to play SWTOR.

Thats not true a MAC is far better than a PC every game I play on MAC is working fluently on MAC and not on Win7 when I boot my MAC via Bootcamp.

Why the hell Diablo 3 is better working on my Mac as on my PC? for example.

You are right thats not a gaming platform, its far better than that. You can play games on an iMac when you want to.

Bioware just made a failure not to support MAC native when they release SWTOR. Hero - Engine just sucks and I do not think that Bioware will ever support MAC. They just don't get it, how to do it right.

It doesn't care me anymore. I got Diablo 3 and thats why I support now Blizzard they are MAC friendly.

no i dont support a mac client for the game.

it owrks fine in bootcamp so why waste the resources

but i would support an andriod tablet client of the game.

This is ridiculous! You're against a Mac client which will be mostly a engine renderer conversion but you support an Android version that would much harder to do! Let me guess... You have an Android tablet, right? Your comment is ridiculously selfish! You better learn that the world doesn't circle around your belly button.

Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

This thread is for discussing support for an OS X client for Star Wars The Old Republic. Please keep comments related to that topic.

This is not a Bootcamp thread.

This is not a Mac Vs. PC thread.

Sure do, more potential players for mac only people who don't bootcamp.

I'm playing on a Mac, so yes - however, I think that they need to optimise the Windows client first - the game feels like it needs a lot of work spent on it, just to get it in a really good state on a typical Windows rig.

lump me in the "FOR" category.

Historically, I'm a Windows and Linux guy. I used to hate apple and get annoyed at all these apple hippies, touting apple as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've slowly been moving towards apple products, and just ordered the new macbook pro w/ retina display. Why? I travel a lot and need something powerful, yet light. I've looked around and decided to wait and see what apple came up with. I have no problem dual (or triple) booting, or running windows in a VM environment (parallels, Virtualbox, etc). I do that anyways. All that said, I prefer Linux, Windows, then OSX, in that order.

I really hate to say it, but the stuff in the mobile market that apple is cranking out lately is far superior to what the others are, in the same segment. Personally, this appeals to me from both a business and personal perspective- I had considered a larger high-end alienware laptop, however cringed at the thought of doing presentations for c-level executives w/ a gawdy alienware. I also looked at falcon northwest, and a ton of others- mostly with the intel graphix x000 chipset, which we all know blows monkey arse. None of them appealed to me (falcon was actually priced higher than apple).

My point is that with the offerings that Apple is coming up with lately, I can see the appeal of the Mac platform expanding, and market share continuing to increase. So, would it be profitable to develop an OSX client? I believe so, although a market study would need to be done by bioware, and the client would need to be marketed to Mac users.

Once that is done... perhaps a Linux client, but that is a pipe dream :rolleyes:

I haven't been back here in a long time but I'm excited to say I just ordered a new Macbook Pro. Yes I will be using OSX and I'm seriously considering canceling my account.

Yeah I know, bootcamp, yada yada yada. I'd prefer not to use Windows and I'm ok if that means I can't play a certain game.

It is ok anyway, SWTOR doesn't need OSX users does it?

I've been watching the recent events from the past few days regarding the new Apple laptops that were released. I ordered a MacBook Pro online within minutes of them going on sale. Within a few minutes, the sales went from 'shipping in next 24 hours' to '2-3 days' to '5-6 days'. Within hours, shipments went to 2-3 weeks and now are at 3-4 weeks. I guess I was a little naive because I was told there generally weren't lines for big ticket items like there were for iPhones/iPads. People are starting to wait in lines in the morning at stores and stores are getting swamped. Some of the configurations people are buying cost over $3k, the new displays are over $2k. And people are waiting in line for these systems?

Now this is where I say that companies have to look at this and wonder if they can truly say that no that isn't the PC market they want to capture.

Something I wanted to add is that Apple actually featured Diablo 3 in their presentation about the new laptops. Imagine if it was SWTOR instead....

Edited by Llyana

SWTOR's engine uses directx exclusively. I think later versions of the hero engine can use OpenGL (which is needed for OSx). But it's still down to the people who make the engine to port it, not Bioware. OSX support is on the "roadmap" of things to do for the hero engine (along with Linux), but it's probably low priority.

The other problem is apple don't update their drivers very often and they don't allow hardware vendors to release their own, like they do on PC. So you loose a lot of performance in games due to badly written and old drivers and theres all kinds of compatibility issues to worry about.

Edited by NasherUK

The other problem is apple don't update their drivers very often and they don't allow hardware vendors to release their own, like they do on PC. So you loose a lot of performance in games due to badly written and old drivers and theres all kinds of compatibility issues to worry about.

This is true for most laptop users though so I don't think this would be a limiting factor. I finally got tired of waiting for Sony's 'custom' driver install to find a work around and install the driver manually. It actually took a bit of work to do so and if you've ever screwed up video drivers, it is scary to try to mess with them :)

I've found in general though that my MacBook (I have an old one I use for everything but gaming) gets updates way more often than my Sony Vaio.

• 1 month later...
So why not just use Bootcamp and install a Windows partition on your Mac? Best of both worlds, IMO.

don't want to bootcamp or parallel destkop ... on my op, that's travel by bus while you could sit in business class Jet ... so I'm PRO for native MAC-Client

I was on the verge of buying a desktop Mac and I'm a long time supporter for a native client for Mac. But the thing is Apple doesn't offer a desktop Mac with decent specs for gaming. The GPUs are weak for such a big resolution on 27" iMac and the Mac Pro is overkill for my wallet and outdated. I decided to go the PC way at least for games. I have a Mac Pro from late 2008 and I will only buy another Mac when my machine will not be able to handle the OS.

I would support it if BioWare thinks it's a good business decision. If they weigh the cost of producing and supporting a mac client (probably HIGH) against the number of new sales they'll get for directly supporting mac (can't count people who already use BootCamp or similar in this; probably LOW) and can find profit in it, then they should probably code it.