Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

Developing a Mac client for 5% of the PC market (yes Mac's ARE ONLY 5% of the PC market)... is not worth the money.

5% of people who play SWTOR is 85000. That's 5.1 million dollars that went into buying the game. Plus another 1 million 275 thousand dollars every month in subcription fees.

So in 4 months, BW has made over 10 million dollars total from that wittle bitty 5% of mac users. Still doesn't sound like it's worth the money? BW could make a profit on the number of mac players alone.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only worth the effort to put out a Mac client if you expect the game to last.

Judging by the way they are approaching balance in 1.2, their complete failure at healer design, and the lack of modern mechanics for healers, tanks, and boss fights, my guess is they don't have the talent/resources to spare and/or don't expect the game to last long enough to be worth the effort.

It's only worth the effort to put out a Mac client if you expect the game to last.

Judging by the way they are approaching balance in 1.2, their complete failure at healer design, and the lack of modern mechanics for healers, tanks, and boss fights, my guess is they don't have the talent/resources to spare and/or don't expect the game to last long enough to be worth the effort.

Sadly, this makes enough sense that it might actually be true. :(

I think that It would be a use If SWTOR Came out on Mac because most other games created by a companies that have participated in the making of SWTOR are able to make it on Mac. EG: EA Make sims which ever so often have updates. I can't remember if the KOTOR games were on mac but im pretty sure that mac owners can have the same facilities as PC users. A Friend of mine was rather eager to get the 7 day free trial. But then realised he could not play SWTOR as he is a mac user.

5% of people who play SWTOR is 85000. That's 5.1 million dollars that went into buying the game. Plus another 1 million 275 thousand dollars every month in subcription fees.

So in 4 months, BW has made over 10 million dollars total from that wittle bitty 5% of mac users. Still doesn't sound like it's worth the money? BW could make a profit on the number of mac players alone.

So how do you know the ratio of mac/pc owners carries over to gamers?

Flawed math that is

So how do you know the ratio of mac/pc owners carries over to gamers?

Flawed math that is

actually, I was being conservative. the number of mac users in the U.S. is more around 10-15% so that number could be alot higher. of course, there's no way of knowing, but that's an educated guess

Im a software developer and can tell you based on hard data that the 10-15% number is actually quite skewed. When you look at the proper usage group of TOR players, we are talking about consumers. So the real question is what percentage of users in the consumer space are currently purchasing Macs vs Windows systems.

That number is closer to 30-35%.

The next interesting factoid is when you move outside of North America, Mac usage increases.

Microsoft likes to say that Apple is 5-7% of the market. Thats another skewed number. This is calculating ALL systems sold over the last 17 years or so. When you look at total systems moved in the last five years, again the percentage is much different.

Don't get me wrong, Windows still is the dominant platform here. But to say that Bioware shouldn't invest in Mac users when they are a hugely growing group isn't accurate. What makes it tolerable for Bioware is that this community can also dual boot in to Windows.

A Mac client should definitely be on their immediate road map.

Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

This thread is for discussing support for an OS X client for Star Wars The Old Republic. Please keep comments related to that topic.

This is not a Bootcamp thread.

This is not a Mac Vs. PC thread.

Sure. Currently play it on Boot Camp, and it's smooth as glass on a Mac Pro. But those with Mac Pros know you can't use RAID with Boot Camp, so I've got three hard drives with Mac OS and only a larger part of one with Windows 7 (that's filling up fast).

Wouldn't mind at all moving SWTOR to Mac OS entirely.

Edited by GreySix

Shame this thread turned into a exactly what the original thread didn't want, a trolling PC vs. Mac and Bootcamp fest!!! But hey, the subject kinda asks for it.

I would love a native client, it would just make life simpler and if written well then should run better on an equivalent Mac due to the lighter operating system and none of my resources being used for stacks of security software (let's not get into that argument).

I Bootcamp and it works a treat. The 20-30 seconds it takes to switch OS doesn't bother me one bit. I was lucky and only had to pay £60 for a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate through a Microsoft work scheme.

I would still prefer to stay within the native OS though as Windows 7 won't even run my 1 year old Lexmark printer and I would prefer being able to window out to the Mac OS. It just looks better and works better in my opinion.

I am in no way anti windows, windows pc's or some kind of Mac fanboy. I am however a complete Star Wars (in all it's forms) fanboy.

Nice thing is, when you're playing no-one knows what system you're on anyway! If it runs it and you enjoy it it doesn't really matter Mac or PC. It's Empire vs. Republic....now which would be which? Windows=Empire and Mac=Republic?:rolleyes:

Let the fighting begin....:mad:

Shame this thread turned into a exactly what the original thread didn't want, a trolling PC vs. Mac and Bootcamp fest!!! But hey, the subject kinda asks for it.

I would love a native client, it would just make life simpler and if written well then should run better on an equivalent Mac due to the lighter operating system and none of my resources being used for stacks of security software (let's not get into that argument).

I Bootcamp and it works a treat. The 20-30 seconds it takes to switch OS doesn't bother me one bit. I was lucky and only had to pay £60 for a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate through a Microsoft work scheme.

I would still prefer to stay within the native OS though as Windows 7 won't even run my 1 year old Lexmark printer and I would prefer being able to window out to the Mac OS. It just looks better and works better in my opinion.

I am in no way anti windows, windows pc's or some kind of Mac fanboy. I am however a complete Star Wars (in all it's forms) fanboy.

Nice thing is, when you're playing no-one knows what system you're on anyway! If it runs it and you enjoy it it doesn't really matter Mac or PC. It's Empire vs. Republic....now which would be which? Windows=Empire and Mac=Republic?:rolleyes:

Let the fighting begin....:mad:

It's not so much the rebooting that's the problem, it's the fact you can't run your OS X apps while you are in Windows. :(

If only virtual machines were viable for playing games...or WINE wasn't so buggy.

It's not so much the rebooting that's the problem, it's the fact you can't run your OS X apps while you are in Windows. :(

If only virtual machines were viable for playing games...or WINE wasn't so buggy.

Why would you need to run other apps while you are playing the game?

I'm a Mac user due to professional reasons.

Bought a gaming rig to play SWTOR and more stuff, but I'd love Mac support.

This PC occupies far too much space and I only use it for gaming.

I'm eager to dump it or charity it.

I'm a Mac user, and I hate the fact of being unable to play on it. So yes, I definitely support a Mac OS X version of the game.

Edit: By the way, why has this thread become a "Bootcamp" and "PC vs Mac" thread, as it is clear stated that it isn't in the first post!

Edited by Luisinho

I own a PC and Mac. I only use the PC for Windows-only CGI programs and prefer not to use it period. In fact, as soon as the programs I use are available on Mac, (within the next year) I'll be ditching it completely. I'd love to be able to use my Mac to play this game.

And as somebody recently out of college, most college kids are buying Macs. The computer science program at my alma mater even requires them as do other programs such as architecture (my program). Withboot camp and a growing number of Mac apps, there's no reason not to really. Those demographics like their computer games, better make it easier for them to access.

Smart way to go is just save up money and buy a decent pc like most people who use their computer seriously.

Yep.

I continue to NOT support a Mac client for swtor, as there are many way more important issues with the game itself.

I'd rather them fix bugs, implement character xfers, rebalance the classes, further optimize the engine, develop new open world pvp content, develop more warzones, design new armor, add about over 9000 features we got used to from that other game, and that would be a good start.

Maybe after these priorities are complete it would make sense. In the meantime, I don't feel sorry for a bunch of endusers that can still play the game. Such a spoiled and pretentious userbase, it's not good enough to just be able to play, it has to be "native" because you find some software letting you run the game distasteful. Pathetic. You people can wait.

Untrue, Mac users are growing. Also Mac's are not bad for gaming as the hardware in them is usually fairly good for the video editting and 3d rendering software that is used on them.

Hahaha! I'm in school for sims/game design and we have an idiot administrator thought he would save the school money by buying top of the line macs with the school discount. They crash all the time, we've had FIVE of them over heat and brick in the last 2 years and the most popular 3d software packages are missing features because we are running macs. We spend most of the class watching youtube and go home to do our work on REAL computers. We keep telling him they are crap and he keeps buying them because he's a "Mac guy". We have to maintain our own network and do our own maintenance because the college's IT department won't touch them. They once said in front of the entire class, "Sorry, we only fix grown-up computers."

Macs are HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE machines for gaming, and game design. SWTOR will most likely NEVER release a mac client they even said so at the guildcon. If you are going to be a serious gamer get a real rig.

If you want to take pictures of your face with the camera built into your GIANT DESK-TOP IPHONE, I can recommend the 5 year warranty. They are really, really fast at replacing the ones that brick. Amazingly good customer service.

Edited by Coyotecalls