Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. I currently play SWTOR on my macs using Bootcamp, which performs quite well, but it also means having to leave OS X to do it, which means I have to shut down my media server and any other services running in OS X to do it. (Not to mention having to pay for a copy of Windows and give up drive space for a partition for an OS I'd rather not be using at all). Granted, I'm not a hard core, 20+ hour a week gamer, but having this extra level of hassle with the games not supporting my platform does keep me from playing as often as I normally would, and it keeps me from buying some titles that I would definitely buy if they were offered on OS X.

I understand delivering a product to windows-based gamers first, but not supplying it at all to Mac-based customers stinks.

As for the Mac not being a good platform for it - I play numerous other games (Portal 2, rince of Persia, Bioshock, BioShock 2, etc.) on OS X with no problem whatsoever.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am a paying subscriber on server Jung Ma and have been a Star Wars fan since the very beginning. My name is NovaStardust and I am a Shadow Jedi (and am the Guild-master of Star Masters).

Sadly, I own a Macbook Pro and i went a long time not being able to play this game - until i was forced to go by Windows 7 and learn how to Boot-camp my computer. This is ridiculous! :mad: Furthermore, even though I can now play SWTOR, I find it very inconvenient (when I am on the Mac side of my computer) to have to always switch over to the PC partition just to enjoy this game - most annoying. :(

Mac computers are usually more expensive than the average PC computers - so they cannot say that Mac owners do not have the money to spend on this game. Plus, my 15" Macbook Pro actually came with a NVIDIA gaming graphics card - in addition to an Intel graphics card.

Obviously, SWTOR stands to make a substantial profit from Mac users - if they ever decide to create a Mac version of this game. What puzzles me the most is, why have they not done so yet? Does Lucas Arts or Bioware have a personal issue or conflict with Mac? What is really going on here?

Bioware - PLEASE MAKE A MAC VERSION OF THIS GAME !!!!

Respectfully Submitted,

NovaStardust

A Lost Jedi

Edited by NovaStardust

Hello, I am a paying subscriber on server Jung Ma and have been a Star Wars fan since the very beginning. My name is NovaStardust and I am a Shadow Jedi (and am the Guild-master of Star Masters).

Sadly, I own a Macbook Pro and i went a long time not being able to play this game - until i was forced to go by Windows 7 and learn how to Boot-camp my computer. This is ridiculous! :mad: Furthermore, even though I can now play SWTOR, I find it very inconvenient (when I am on the Mac side of my computer) to have to always switch over to the PC partition just to enjoy this game - most annoying. :(

Mac computers are usually more expensive than the average PC computers - so they cannot say that Mac owners do not have the money to spend on this game. Plus, my 15" Macbook Pro actually came with a NVIDIA gaming graphics card - in addition to an Intel graphics card.

Obviously, SWTOR stands to make a substantial profit from Mac users - if they ever decide to create a Mac version of this game. What puzzles me the most is, why have they not done so yet? Does Lucas Arts or Bioware have a personal issue or conflict with Mac? What is really going on here?

Bioware - PLEASE MAKE A MAC VERSION OF THIS GAME !!!!

Respectfully Submitted,

NovaStardust

A Lost Jedi

Err... the Mac Book Pro does not come with a gaming graphics card in it. It comes with a beefier stand-alone card because of the crazy and useless resolution, but in the gaming word it is a rather pathetic card.

Also considering how few people actually use OSX (and the number is falling), then it would be a waste of money at this time to port the game to OSX.

The fact that you can't play on SWTOR (except you have bootcamp) is very poor for me. I only have mac's at home, my mother doesn't want anything else, and the fact i can't play on TOR makes me very sad. So please, i know mac isn't made for it, but please, find a way to get the game on mac. Edited by jesperallaer

SWTOR would have fantastic features available to it, though admittedly the sticking point is nearly always graphic optimisations. Having said that, there are plenty of great looking games that work extremely well on Macs.

Given that they'd need to employ a whole unit of Mac developers though, I doubt it'd ever happen - BW struggles with the enormity of TOR as it is. Other companies, large and small (and enormous) manage it but I honestly don't believe BW have the skills or motivation to even consider it.... it would be awesome to be wrong about this.

Again, that said - it seems like an incredible waste not to create tie-in mini-games for Android and iOS devices. As noted above, I'm sure they'd say they're busting a gut to make TOR but it would be incredibly worthwhile to hire a team (or two) of Android / iOS developers for this purpose.

• 3 weeks later...
Err... the Mac Book Pro does not come with a gaming graphics card in it. It comes with a beefier stand-alone card because of the crazy and useless resolution, but in the gaming word it is a rather pathetic card.

Also considering how few people actually use OSX (and the number is falling), then it would be a waste of money at this time to port the game to OSX.

yeah bud, mac book pro retina display... i think i can handle the game.... Obviously it would be good to have it for OSX

Regardless of the hardware capabilities of Macs this point still stands. There is a market among Mac users for SWTOR that is't being tapped into. And based on the fact that BW/EA went free to play in under a year means they need more people playing the game. Bioware does know how to write the programming for Macs. They did it for KOTOR. Just takes them an aweful long time to do it.

Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

This thread is for discussing support for an OS X client for Star Wars The Old Republic. Please keep comments related to that topic.

This is not a Bootcamp thread.

This is not a Mac Vs. PC thread.

This is a bootcamp thread because it makes your entire question irrelevent.. Every mac can run this game with boot camp.. So there is no need to make a Mac native client.. You all can play it now..

So go play it.. Enjoy it.. What else is there to say.. Other than the fact that every mac is just a PC with a different OS and Bios.. They are still intel machines with all the same hardware.. Just put in form factors that prevent the user from actually upgrading their computer.. I would never buy a Mac for that reason alone.. I have bought 1 PC in my life.. That was about 15 years ago.. Sure, nothing in my current computer is from that old one.. But I have never bought a new complete PC since then.. Just parts.. :)

• 1 month later...
This is a bootcamp thread because it makes your entire question irrelevent.. Every mac can run this game with boot camp.. So there is no need to make a Mac native client.. You all can play it now..

So go play it.. Enjoy it.. What else is there to say.. Other than the fact that every mac is just a PC with a different OS and Bios.. They are still intel machines with all the same hardware.. Just put in form factors that prevent the user from actually upgrading their computer.. I would never buy a Mac for that reason alone.. I have bought 1 PC in my life.. That was about 15 years ago.. Sure, nothing in my current computer is from that old one.. But I have never bought a new complete PC since then.. Just parts.. :)

Hmm so... just beacuse your computer can run windows there are no reason to port an application? There are loads of old mac applications that has been ported to windows and live a good life there (same goes for linux apps to win and to osx etc). The biggest development cost for SWTOR is not what you see on your screen thanks to the operating system, the most of the cost goes into content and rules... so.. making a OS X client AND a Linux client makes sence. There are tools for simulating direct x to open gl.. Ok it will be slow in the beginning.. but with a small team that work on the port it is doable and we could easyly have a working port within a year...

The main question is why did they decide to not go open gl from the beginning...

Thinking about the game a bit and its lack of advanced things where you need a keyboard+mouse... perhaps there was some idea to go xbox?

Hmm so... just beacuse your computer can run windows there are no reason to port an application?

Ever see an Apple emulator for Windows??? I am sure there must be one out there somewhere.. But certainly not as popular as boot camp.. Could be because apple is really picky about someone simulating their stuff..

In either case, it kind of puts a damper on the validity of your post.. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Neverwinter Nights 2 which was also developed by bioware was adapted to the MAC by a 3rd party. However patches that came out for windows could not be applied to the MAC. It's still possible that SWTOR could also be adapted if they came up with a way to keep the MAC version patched with the windows version.

Small correction: Bioware developed Neverwinter Nights. Neverwinter Nights 2 was developed by Obsidian, using an "upgraded" (the accuracy of that term depends on what you're talking about, and to whom you're speaking) version of Bioware's engine.

Pretty much just like KOTOR and KOTOR 2.

However, I still maintain my support for a Mac client for the game. Any increase in audience is good.

Edited by JacenHallis

To give this a bump :)

I've seen KoToR I on the Mac App Store this week, downloaded it and it runs superior :)

And while playing Kotor, i thought to myself what a great thing it would be having swtor run natively under mac osx, without having to boot into bootcamp and run the game under crappy windows :(

Please bioware consider making a mac osx client for us !

And as mentioned earlier in this thread, with all those apple (myself included) users beeing used to pay for apps (or to do in-app-purchases), there will be a financial benefit for you ...

ah yeah ... as im not a native english speaking person, my english is sometimes a bit messed up and superior in this case was only thought as an adjective like excellent, very good, great etc. ;)

So to give it a correction, Kotor runs very fluent on mac osx :rak_09:

BUT i still want a swtor mac client ;)

Right. I bought the original KOTOR for Mac aronud 10 years ago when it came out. It ran well on my old PowerPC laptop and rather decent later on my Intel iMac until Aspyr (the company that did the porting) released a patch that made it run superior! :cool: on Intel.

So yeah, SWTOR native client. and maybe, just maybe, we'll see it one day if the engine roadmap is anything to go by.

Boot Camp doesn't run TOR. You have to buy Windows at significant extra cost, install and maintain it, and reboot to play.

And why on earth would anyone pay more?

Seriously, whats wrong with you people? YOU chose to buy a mac. Dual boot windows or quit your crying. Did a turtle neck sweater come with your kool aid machine?

Right. I bought the original KOTOR for Mac aronud 10 years ago when it came out. It ran well on my old PowerPC laptop and rather decent later on my Intel iMac until Aspyr (the company that did the porting) released a patch that made it run superior! :cool: on Intel.

So yeah, SWTOR native client. and maybe, just maybe, we'll see it one day if the engine roadmap is anything to go by.

I would LOVE a Mac Client. I hate booting into windows all the time.

But the Engine Roadmap is not something to go by. SWTOR is forked from the Hero engine and modified it, for a while now, anything added to the engine does not make it to SWTOR.

In other words. It is up to Bioware.

-Attempt to bring the engine up to where Hero is now

-Re-write the game using a new engine

-Write Mac Support into their copy of the engine

-Wrap the client in a Mac wrapper

All 4 are either very time consuming or will give bad performance.

Edited by ninjonxb

I really wish they had a native mac client. Wrapper is all well and good but it can't replace the performance of a native app. I know EA entered into an agreement with Apple not long ago to release their games as mac versions but have you seen the selection available? Its hardly anything to get excited about. So I doubt this is going to happen.

But with Elder Scrolls Online coming out with a mac client, Blizzard with its own mac client, maybe that will spark EA to releasing a client for this one too. No one on a mac wants to switch to boot camp unless they absolutely have to. We bought macs because we like Mac OS.

I really wish they had a native mac client. Wrapper is all well and good but it can't replace the performance of a native app. I know EA entered into an agreement with Apple not long ago to release their games as mac versions but have you seen the selection available? Its hardly anything to get excited about. So I doubt this is going to happen.

But with Elder Scrolls Online coming out with a mac client, Blizzard with its own mac client, maybe that will spark EA to releasing a client for this one too. No one on a mac wants to switch to boot camp unless they absolutely have to. We bought macs because we like Mac OS.

people buy macs because they think it makes them "hip". same reason people buy ipads and iphones. not because they are the best products, because they clearly are not.

people buy macs because they think it makes them "hip". same reason people buy ipads and iphones. not because they are the best products, because they clearly are not.

Sounds like something a little kid would say. I like Mac OS, I prefer it. My first computer was a mac and I've had them ever since. I don't really care for the adolescent arugements of immature people who think its some kind of lifestyle statement. Its a computer. Its not a pair of designer jeans.

Edited by JetAten

As a total tangent, Mike Morhaime, co-founder and president of Blizzard takes the opportunity during the WCS (Starcraft) Europe Premiere League to

(amazing game to watch btw).

With KOTOR being released on the iPad and WWDC right around the corner (not to mention the inroads iPhones and iPads have made in corporations around the world), I like to think there's greater visibility and appreciation within BW/EA for the opportunities and benefits that Apple and that developing on iOS / MacOS can offer.

I also strongly encourage the devs to find the time to put aside old biases, just for a while to watch a few sessions from previous WWDC's.

Edited by Kynesis