Server population is dropping...

Miffy

I won't attack your post, I just feel that its an inherent flaw in this game's design. We've got, what, eight planets per side to split among fifty levels of progression? Most I know have actually hit 50 by the seventh planet, as a by the by. Even if levels were split evenly that works out too six and a quarter per planet.

In and of itself its not that bad until you toss the lack of any default "global" global channels.

The game's progression is broken up too much and when you include the lack of "global" global channels and group finders? TOR can feel much lonelier a lot more often that it should or even needs to be. That's before we even open the whole population imbalances can of worms.

It's BioWare's first MMO and its an impressive one. However, they made some mistakes during development which are coming back to haunt them.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The key to enjoying the game right now is to join a good guild. That way you have a bunch of people who can help you with heroics, flashpoints, etc. I don't mind the planets being barren, because I don't have to compete for NPCs or gathering nodes, and I don't have to listen to annoying chatter in General.

The only downside I can see to low server population is that the economy is very sluggish. There's little to buy, and not much sells. For that reason, I'd like to see them consider a server merger. On the other hand, the game's only been operational for a little over a month, and I think they're smart to avoid making rash changes.

Dear God.

The game is barely six weeks old and already substantial parts of the population have started with the "waah, waah, waah," and "This game is dead."

This is why game developers drink until the pain of stupid goes away.

Every game has complainers, especially an mmo. It's the sub number they need to watch. If it is going down they are doing something wrong, and somewhere in that vast sea of complaints is the answer.

And honestly, if the devs can't handle they whining of an mmo playerbase, they need to shut down the servers here and now and move on to KOTOR 3 or whatever.

Every game has complainers, especially an mmo. It's the sub number they need to watch. If it is going down they are doing something wrong, and somewhere in that vast sea of complaints is the answer.

And honestly, if the devs can't handle they whining of an mmo playerbase, they need to shut down the servers here and now and move on to KOTOR 3 or whatever.

Side note:

Rob Pardo said that if he had to do it all over again, he wouldn't go with official public forums.

And the big wigs at Arenanet agree. They said they learned that from Blizzard and will never have an official public forums, themselves.

There are large threads that confirm the loot isn't random atm. No one is sure why or how, though. You can find the thread in my posted threads section of my profile. The sheer probability of seeing one piece 11 times out of 13, when 4 items are supposed to 25% each, is astronomical. And it happens to a lot of people. It's not always bh that drops a large%. Sometimes its ia or sw. But they aren't even close for some groups. I do recommend reading that thread though, it's interesting

I will check the thread but 11-13 is not surprising to me when you have this many people doing an activity that has a random generator.

I have been at a roulette wheel where one color came up 17 times a row. Astronomical streaks happen.

In the case of our server, the population isn't dwindling...it's settling into regular patterns. Our server is still standard population during the day (i.e., working hours) and hits heavy during the evening and night hours. This is a trend I see with most servers. Very few servers show as being LIGHT during the primetime hours. Server populations diminishing after launch are inevitable as people who spread characters across multiple servers begin to focus on only one or two at a time. Plus, let's not forget that TOR launched during a major GLOBAL holiday and people had more time to play during the initial month. Now that many of us are back to work/school, we have many more obligations to fulfill that take time away from being online. Plus, those who have reached end-game and only want to focus on one character do not need to be on all the time any more and can take longer breaks between play sessions.

TOR has not had any sort of major population drop-off and all indicators point to a healthy and active player community. It certainly in a better position then most recent MMOs are after their first 30-days of launch.

And let's not forget that new players are signing up everyday. It's not the flood like at launch, but it is a steady stream.

Edited by otakuon

I will check the thread but 11-13 is not surprising to me when you have this many people doing an activity that has a random generator.

I have been at a roulette wheel where one color came up 17 times a row. Astronomical streaks happen.

but rolling Black 17 times in a row on multiple boards, on a daily basis, doesn't make that something astronomical. Just check the thread, something is broken with the RNG at the moment, and the numbers are there to back it up. It's something to do w/ who is leading the group, they believe. We tested it, and found it to be a likely cause.

With Leader A, Token B dropped 90+%.

With Leader B, Token C dropped 90+%.

With Leader C, Token D dropped 90+%.

With Leader D, Tokens were normalized.

These aren't small samples, either. This is doing maximum amount of Flash points per night , over the course of weeks, testing this theory. Our only chance of getting Token A to drop is the have Leader D be the party leader, and hope we get the true 25% drop rate.

TL;DR, Something is wrong w/ algorithm.

Side note:

Rob Pardo said that if he had to do it all over again, he wouldn't go with official public forums.

And the big wigs at Arenanet agree. They said they learned that from Blizzard and will never have an official public forums, themselves.

This is so true, I seriously would not blame them if they just took the forums down, it also would not surprise me ...

This is so true, I seriously would not blame them if they just took the forums down, it also would not surprise me ...

people dont learn anything helpful form the posts the try to help them , forums are just a b-feast and a crying about tthis or that .

very little is gain for the ggod anymore so closeing these forums might really help the game more then having them up.

would not shock me to see them locked or closed, they could use the money to pay the forum mods with more coders

Side note:

I don't think you can get away with that in this day of social media... the discussion is going to be happening anyway, why not have it on your porch.

If you are on one of those "dead" servers, you really really need to just go ahead and suck it up and reroll.

They aren't merging anything and there aren't going to be free transfers.

Many people have seen the writing on the wall and are already doing just that.

We are seeing an increase in rerolls in the starting zones on my server.

You have a small window of opportunity here to take your fate into your own hands get onto an active server while the getting is still good.

I don't need to tell you that as people leave your server to join healthier ones, it's only going to get worse for you.

You can troll me all you want. You can post time and again about how Bioware failed you. You can clinch your fists and scream WHYYYYYY at the sky but it won't change a thing.

Pretty simple.

I remind you that this is one of those problems that will only get worse as time progresses. If you don't feel like your server is active enough or filling up fast enough or anything of that nature, it probably isn't going to get any better especially as the sub numbers appear (much to the chagrin of many posters here) increasing in general.

You have 3 choices:

1) Reroll and take control of your own fate. I'd recommend Space Slug republic side. We have an awesome server community forming here and of all 4 servers I play on, it is by far the most fun and friendly.

2) Complain, complain, complain. After you realize nothing is going to come along to solve your problem, complain, complain, complain.

3) Unsub.

Don't expect anybody to care which of these you choose. In the end, it's all on you.

I don't think you can get away with that in this day of social media... the discussion is going to be happening anyway, why not have it on your porch.

Because of the very reason you mention: it's going to happen anyway.

Why do you need to support it with time, money, and resources? You can just pick up a twitter account, or a Facebook page, or whatever and follow what people say about it.

Edited by Scar

If you are on one of those "dead" servers, you really really need to just go ahead and suck it up and reroll.

You have a small window of opportunity here to take your fate into your own hands get onto an active server while the getting is still good.

I don't need to tell you that as people leave your server to join healthier ones, it's only going to get worse for you.

You can troll me all you want. You can post time and again about how Bioware failed you. You can clinch your fists and scream WHYYYYYY at the sky but it won't change a thing.

Pretty simple.

I remind you that this is one of those problems that will only get worse as time progresses. If you don't feel like your server is active enough or filling up fast enough or anything of that nature, it probably isn't going to get any better especially as the sub numbers appear (much to the chagrin of many posters here) increasing in general.

You have 3 choices:

1) Reroll and take control of your own fate. I'd recommend Space Slug republic side. We have an awesome server community forming here and of all 4 servers I play on, it is by far the most fun and friendly.

2) Complain, complain, complain. After you realize nothing is going to come along to solve your problem, complain, complain, complain.

3) Unsub.

Don't expect anybody to care which of these you choose. In the end, it's all on you.

you don't expect anyone to take accountability for their actions (ahem BW). just sayin. to sum up your post:

suxtobeyoubrah

this is the community people ^^

Pretty simple.

You have 3 choices:

3) Unsub.

Another high-popper.

I'm not wasting 2 months of character development because Bioware screwed the Pooch. Simple enough. It's pretty easy for myself. Open up transfers (even if its for a fee), or I un-sub, and the clock is ticking. Not trying to be dramatic, as if it came to option 2, I would no longer be on the forums. I'm looking for another MMO, and I thought this was going to be the one I would call home for a long time. But they aren't winning me over.

I shouldn't have to start over. Period. If you were playing Mario 64, and you were sitting at 119 stars.. What would your reaction be if Nintendo said to you ,

"oh, sorry, remember when the first area was super crowded, and we recommended you go to the water level first? Well, the 1 star your missing is in that first area, and you can't access it anymore.. Sorry, I guess you should start over so you can complete the game the way it was meant to be completed."

Right.

Another high-popper.

I'm not wasting 2 months of character development because Bioware screwed the Pooch. Simple enough. It's pretty easy for myself. Open up transfers (even if its for a fee), or I un-sub, and the clock is ticking. Not trying to be dramatic, as if it came to option 2, I would no longer be on the forums. I'm looking for another MMO, and I thought this was going to be the one I would call home for a long time. But they aren't winning me over.

I shouldn't have to start over. Period. If you were playing Mario 64, and you were sitting at 119 stars.. What would your reaction be if Nintendo said to you ,

"oh, sorry, remember when the first area was super crowded, and we recommended you go to the water level first? Well, the 1 star your missing is in that first area, and you can't access it anymore.. Sorry, I guess you should start over so you can complete the game the way it was meant to be completed."

Right.

Sweet thanks mario. The thing that kept me entertained will continue to entertain me. Hell why do you think CoD kids prestige their faces off? All it is is just unlocking the same crap you had already.

Actually no, I have not noticed a server drop whatsoever. This weekend I went AFK and it kicked me back to the server list. It has been a while since I have looked at the server list, but decided to scroll through and check out the server populations.

75% of the servers were noted at HEAVY population with a few of them at VERY HEAVY and having a queue.

Republic fleet always seems to be lacking in the population department, but the Imperial Fleet on my server is always at 200+ during peak hours.

Edited by XOrionX

Another high-popper.

Right.

Look at this way. It is a chance to roll a BH and get your Columi gear.

3) Unsub.

“MMOs are all about playing with your friends no matter which server they’re on, and that’s why we’re offering this as a free service to our subscribers,” said Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer. “RIFT is both a game and a service, and adding free server transfers is just one more way we can make this the best possible MMO experience available.”

I believe that abouts sums it up.

You are right, complaining is dumb, so I unsubbed. I am sure I am not the ONLY one who is tired of having no one else to group with cause they are on a dead server.

Another high-popper.

Right.

Well said

You have 3 choices:

3) Unsub.

I'm Empire on Space SLug, great sized population also. Seems to be going up each week too.

WOW doesn't have free server transfers, you need to pay $25-30 to do that. There are PLENTY of dead servers there too.

Id like to hop in here and say that Ive spent the past several nights, several hours each, in PVP queue, Level 50, Republic side, waiting patiently for a warzone to commence and had 0 games start. I am on the Axial Park server, and at the time of character creation was selected it because it was the only east coast PVE server without the tag “FULL” next to it.

I know, “You want PVP on a PVE server, that’s your problem…” But that isn’t a valid answer, PVE servers shouldn’t be shut out of a large portion of the games content because server population issues. I shouldn’t be shut out of a portion of the game because the developers shuffled me in this direction during character creation. Please do something, because rerolling really isn’t a valid answer. If the answer is server merges, transfers or PVP queues cross select server groups, please make it happen and quickly.

I disagree - the servers were all showing heavy with queue times.

Having said that, I'm glad what they did - it's just i fully expect server mergers soon. I doubt there's well over a million accounts playing now (past the 30 days). But I'm curious how many there really are.

Apparently 1.7 million people disagree with you.

And why would you expect server mergers...when most servers are standard to full? Yesterday when I logged in, the NA servers had like 8 at light pop at peak times. Europe's peak now, and it has 2 light pop servers. What part of that translates to "merge servers."

Look at this way. It is a chance to roll a BH and get your Columi gear.

I'm gonna start you on page 18

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=224675&page=18

Our group is bugged with Bounty Hunter. Other groups are bugged with other drops. It -only- occurs when the same 4 people run together. On a small server, guess what. No one wants to do HMs because the 3 groups that are doing them (yes, there are only 12 of us on the entire SERVER that do HMs) run together at different points in the evening. One afternoon, one early evening, one late evening.

WOW doesn't have free server transfers, you need to pay $25-30 to do that. There are PLENTY of dead servers there too.

$15. And myself personally have never said "*** BW gimme free stuffz". I'm willing to cut my losses at 15 dollars to transfer my character. 15 dollars is a fair price to save 2 months of work invested into this character.