Implementing ITEM DECAY in game

Lun_Javelin

Implementing item decay in this game like SWG and other few MMO's did will encourage crafting and also there will be a dynamic economy. Also making crafted costumizable gear both in shape and in stats better than loot items will make the game last longer and more fun. Here is the decay model: for eg) 90/90 duration falls to 80/80 after first repair lof the item and it continues. People will be forced to renew their gear in time. Also there will be some cost of loosing in open world pvp.

Just my two cents....

Yeah, perfect addition with the RNG bags what give you random gear. Oh my champion chestpiece is worn down. *50 bags later, still no replacement*

WELP!

It'd work in a game that was crafting oriented from the ground up, but the way TOR is set up, not so much.

Yeah.

Why NOT take this slotted orange gear that we can keep upgrading to keep the look we want and just make it disposable instead so we have to keep running those same low level instances over and over again to get it back.

So much fun!

Item decay?

I just fought Droids that where 20.000 years old. They might not have been the most difficult opponents, but all things considered: If they are still able to fire their weapons after 20k years, I think my equipment will last for the time being. ;)

~~DukeP~~

Implementing item decay in this game like SWG and other few MMO's did will encourage crafting and also there will be a dynamic economy. Also making crafted costumizable gear both in shape and in stats better than loot items will make the game last longer and more fun. Here is the decay model: for eg) 90/90 duration falls to 80/80 after first repair lof the item and it continues. People will be forced to renew their gear in time. Also there will be some cost of loosing in open world pvp.

Just my two cents....

Swg removed this for a very good reason as no lifers with 3 or more paid accounts prospered over those who couldn't or wouldn't. If you actually did play swg in all it's forms you would know this. Awful, awful idea

Just my two cents....

this isnt SWG ... move along, nothing to see here

I don't know why people keep trying to turn this game into SWG? I'm sorry your little game failed, but overall the reason it failed is because the majority of people who played it didn't like it... simply put, you need to get over it and realize it isn't coming back and that this is a good thing.

The universal hatred of item decay just proves why it works. It is like anything in real life. No one has the same car for ever, no one wears the same clothes forever (though I am trying really hard to). Now I agree you just can't throw item decay into TOR, it affects too many other systems. But item decay is an additional sink for a complex economy (which TOR does not have) and creates a perpetual aspect of gear acquisition into the end game.

Item decay is what an economy is. That is why mmo's have a hard time creating an economy in games, they create commodities that only require one acquisition over the life of a consumer. Imagine if all you had to do was buy one dishwasher ever, or one car ever, or one gallon of milk ever, or anything. Then try and make an economy around that. Doesn't work...

Item decay will not work in TOR, but for the next generation MMO, I hope it is in there.

I don't know why people keep trying to turn this game into SWG? I'm sorry your little game failed, but overall the reason it failed is because the majority of people who played it didn't like it... simply put, you need to get over it and realize it isn't coming back and that this is a good thing.

This. Love the "little game" quote. *pats SWG players on the head* :sul_evil: You're so cute!

The universal hatred of item decay just proves why it works. It is like anything in real life. No one has the same car for ever, no one wears the same clothes forever (though I am trying really hard to). Now I agree you just can't throw item decay into TOR, it affects too many other systems. But item decay is an additional sink for a complex economy (which TOR does not have) and creates a perpetual aspect of gear acquisition into the end game.

Item decay is what an economy is. That is why mmo's have a hard time creating an economy in games, they create commodities that only require one acquisition over the life of a consumer. Imagine if all you had to do was buy one dishwasher ever, or one car ever, or one gallon of milk ever, or anything. Then try and make an economy around that. Doesn't work...

Item decay will not work in TOR, but for the next generation MMO, I hope it is in there.

Genocide is universally hated, but by your logic I guess we should bring it back because it was getting the job done? Your logic is flawed, universal hatred of the decay system is one of the many reasons SWG failed. If people hate things in a game they pay to play, then they will stop paying for it, and if people unsubscribe then the game doesn't have enough income to sustain it's servers and then the game dies. Impleminting an idea that they know the vast majority of their players will hate just to "fix the economy" is a sure way to chase away their subscription base.

Why would anyone want a 1:1 accurate copy of a world economy inside a game? Most people play games to escape real life pressures rather than adding to them.

Imagine if you could not advance to level 50 without playing the virtual market like a Wall Street genius? Sort of loses the entertainment value.

It's not supposed to simulate a real economy and more than it's supposed to simulate your actual life.

Just my two cents....

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Best joke thread ever. 10/10!

Oh...you were being serious, weren't you? Hope your clothing is flame retardant.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.