Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

OP. Wasted alot of time there.

They are aware of it. They are working on it. The first in a series of fixes has gone in. It is achieving results.

Trust me, they have far superior techs and engineers then you working on this. ;p

Why do you think do players have the ability to report bugs to the CS? Because they (should) preprocess information and relay them to the developers, which now have meaningful data to work with.

This thread could be the same. A lot of information accumulated and processed by some players to provide some usable information for the testers and developers to reproduce and fix the issues.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was already mostly fixed, and the rest are incoming, thanks for coming out though.

What are you talking a about? This thread is the reason this is getting fixed at all... How was this already fixed? Today was the first day of "fixing", this thread has been around for over 3 weeks... raising awareness and attention to it...

This thread gave this entire Issue a name... Ability Delay and Character Responsiveness would not even be terms used by Bioware right now...

How can you say thousands of people voicing their thoughts, opinions, analysis, rage, advise has been a waste? How can you claim it was already fixed? Why would you say that its over now, just because Bioware made a statement? Why would you not continue to be critical and evaluate objectively?

I don't understand you, how can you slap thousands of people in the face, people trying to make this game better for everyone... Objectively better... With clear minds and true knowledge and experience

I wish i could show you where this game would be and this patch would be without this threadline and all the support it has had... Also I with we could look into the future 1-2 years, one future with this threadline and one without.

People like this are so ******* frustrating....

What are you talking a about? This thread is the reason this is getting fixed at all... How was this already fixed? Today was the first day of "fixing", this thread has been around for over 3 weeks... raising awareness and attention to it...

This thread gave this entire Issue a name... Ability Delay and Character Responsiveness would not even be terms used by Bioware right now...

How can you say thousands of people voicing their thoughts, opinions, analysis, rage, advise has been a waste? How can you claim it was already fixed? Why would you say that its over now, just because Bioware made a statement? Why would you not continue to be critical and evaluate objectively?

I don't understand you, how can you slap thousands of people in the face, people trying to make this game better for everyone... Objectively better... With clear minds and true knowledge and experience

I wish i could show you where this game would be and this patch would be without this threadline and all the support it has had... Also I with we could look into the future 1-2 years, one future with this threadline and one without.

+1 Bazillion

Xcore, unfortunately you are going to be an unsung hero of this issue, but for the people who have followed it from the beginning, we will know what you did.

On a positive note, the game is running much better. Both in WZ's and in FP's. I'm raiding tonight and will see how well the game is working there.

@Xcore - Make or break SWTOR? Are you high on cocaine or something? Yes there are issue that are currently being fixed, but ability delay breaking SWTOR? lol no. You should have played WoW during launch....much worse.

You might be confused as to what ability delay is still. But luckily the problem is being fixed so arguing about it is moot.

@Xcore - Make or break SWTOR? Are you high on cocaine or something? Yes there are issue that are currently being fixed, but ability delay breaking SWTOR? lol no. You should have played WoW during launch....much worse.

I played WoW at launch... and it was not much worse. and that is besides the point... that is the reigning King... and that is game that sets the standard... its like saying if there is a new car company, and they make a car without seat belts... and you say, well all the other car companies had 20 years before they introduced seat belts, so we should wait. I mean that is a huge exaggeration of the magnitude, but you get the point. You have to be competitive with what is out there now.. not what was out there 8 years ago.

"X game was much more broken." is the worst excuse in the world.

Apparently that makes it OK for future games to be like this. The standard has been set and people are so used to it which makes it perfectly fine for people to defend it.

I did play WoW from its first months, it had no issues that we are discussing in this thread from launch until now still...

Thank you for being just another noob who found this thread because an official Bioware post has been made regarding this issue... you have no idea what you're trying to discuss. I've only battled your kind for the past 7 threads on this in order to push this and not have It muddied up and forgotten... what's another few threads.

Inb4: Your show if ignorance

1) Stuck looting bug in WoW

2) Server instability, crashes, lag in WoW

3) graphical glitches in WoW

Go watch PvP videos from 2004...

You think abilities not firing in PvP is not a game breaker? Of course it is, it can be the difference between winning and losing. They can't implement competitive PvP until this is fixed.

By the way, WoWs responsiveness has never been in question. It is still the yardstick. Nobody has ever mirrored WoWs combat responsiveness in an MMO.

Edited by Mandrax

OK, just played a while - nothing serious mind you, just my usual questing and a small world quest in a group - so here's my less than educated opinion based on what I noticed:

The combat on my Sniper does indeed feel kind of smoother to me. It feels like one ability "flows" into the other much better than before. Was especially noticeable when using Takedown, and oddly enough when my Sniper Volley procced, it just felt more natural and fast. Also my Shatter Shot felt less clunky.

However, the speeder thingy still has some delay. Minor issue, but noticeable - I can live with it though. Also, I did experience some misfires again, but fewer than before (talking about an approximation of misfires per hour, I don't have an exact number but I noticed it about 3-4 times as opposed to once every few minutes pre-patch). And of course, the animation-based "instants" like Overload Shot still aren't truly "instant" - though if that is fixed it will probably happen later.

Not really the "pro" opinion you'd like to hear as I'm not a lvl 50 hardcore... But here's my feedback for what it's worth.

Edited by archifikoss

I did play WoW from its first months, it had no issues that we are discussing in this thread from launch until now still...

Thank you for being just another noob who found this thread because an official Bioware post has been made regarding this issue... you have no idea what you're trying to discuss. I've only battled your kind for the past 7 threads on this in order to push this and not have It muddied up and forgotten... what's another few threads.

Inb4: Your show if ignorance

1) Stuck looting bug in WoW

2) Server instability, crashes, lag in WoW

3) graphical glitches in WoW

Go watch PvP videos from 2004...

You do a good thing by being (mostly) constructive and consolidating this issue and putting in time and effort to help BioWare fix things, and then you make posts like these insulting people and childish name calling.

Would it not be best to stick to being constructive, and ignoring people you feel are trolling? No matter what you do or say, some people will not view it as much of an issue as you do, and acting in this manner only detracts from (and derails) this thread.

Anyways, my 2creds. Carry on. :)

Edited by Malefactor

If they left it as is I agree it wouda buried this game.

Apparently that makes it OK for future games to be like this. The standard has been set and people are so used to it which makes it perfectly fine for people to defend it.

Well the problem with this line of thinking is that TOR (or any game that comes out, etc etc) hasn't had the same amount of time put on fixing and polishing that the end game product of WOW has right now.

Saying "Well, the standard is set" means that if TOR isn't as polished as WoW in 8 years, then we can all say "Ok. Fail."

Most people posting here are very grateful for your efforts. Hell, I'm sure Bioware themselves are grateful.

Without the many incarnations of this thread they probably wouldn't have realized the issue this quickly.

Personally I feel the responsiveness of combat is now markedly better. This shows me, as a customer, that BW are working on their game even despite all the questionable business going on elsewhere (Founders title *cough*).

Edited by FerrusPA

You do a good thing by being (mostly) constructive and consolidating this issue and putting in time and effort to help BioWare fix things, and then you make posts like these insulting people and childish name calling.

Would it not be best to stick to being constructive, and ignoring people you feel are trolling? No matter what you do or say, some people will not view it as much of an issue as you do, and acting in this manner only detracts from (and derails) this thread.

Anyways, my 2creds. Carry on. :)

I understand and fully agree with what you're saying but that simply isn't me.

I'm not that nice guy who is all peachy, happy go lucky... not bothered by someone disagreeing etc. No, I'm not going to be nice to ignorant people who I believe do not have the intellectual fortitude to discuss an Issue on the level "I" require and are almost purposely ignorant.

I am not here to "rally" anyone to "my" cause by being nice or seeming like a good guy. I am simply trying to raise awareness to what I believe to be a serious issue in a game (hobby) that I am very passionate about. I understand that I may come across as difficult and "bad", you rightfully point that out but at the same time, I am quite reasonable and able to admit my own flaws easily. I think if you listen to me in my video, you'd find I am not the average troll mentality. What I refuse to do is give In or "let go" of things/issues when I am firmly against them.

I am too honest of a person to not appear like a ***chebag at times.

Edited by Xcore

Xcore, I just wanted to compliment you on the most thorough post I've read on the forums yet, very well constructed and informative. Thank you for taking the collective information strewn about and putting it into one post.

Much appreciated.

Just because an ability is used instantly doesn't mean the damage is applied instantly. Instant simply means no cast time, can't be interrupted, and able to be used while moving. I'm not sure what the problem is here.

There is a cast time or rather an 'animation time' of 0.5 seconds. That's the point. Nothing about it is "instant".

There is a cast time or rather an 'animation time' of 0.5 seconds. That's the point. Nothing about it is "instant".

Case in point: Overload Shot. Since the ability is "instant" you would expect the shot to be fired the instant you hit the hotkey (or click on the icon, whatever floats your boat), but you actually see the character aiming before he fires off the ability - meaning a delay between the player action and the ability taking effect despite there being no cast time.

It may look cooler - but it doesn't feel as fluid as it would if it really was instant.

Most people posting here are very grateful for your efforts. Hell, I'm sure Bioware themselves are grateful.

Without the many incarnations of this thread they probably wouldn't have realized the issue this quickly.

Personally I feel the responsiveness of combat is now markedly better. This shows me, as a customer, that BW are working on their game even despite all the questionable business going on elsewhere (Founders title *cough*).

I disagree with the red part, its evident by the amount of Bioware posts in this thread. Also Bioware isn't the type of company that handles my criticism well.

I mean I've been rather offensive at times... I'm pretty sure they hate me lol (If they've even heard of my name personally) but thats ok as long as this gets fixed over the next months...

They would be grateful if they actually didn't know about it, you kindly pointed it out and they could easily fix it. Considering it's an issue well known and ignored since the beginning of beta, it's safe to assume that they just can't fix it in a reasonable amount of time. So yeh, I'd say you're more like a pain in the *** for them right now.

Well now that it's fixed for the most part (I'm fine at least), I guess it's time to start griping 24/7 about something else.

Hmmmmmmmm .....faction imbalance??

Well I didn't care about that before but now all of a sudden it's my biggest concern in life...

XCore, don't bother with extensive posts against the people who viewed the thread upon version 7.0 (Which means approaching 7000 posts) and have no idea the fixes they enjoy came from diligent feedback. Hell, BioWare even stated that in the blog post let alone a dev tracker gold post. They didn't read how this started, what makes you think they will read the result.

Anyways, I am in the process of uploading a video. I will say this... the issue is NOT fixed. While abilities are actually going through now, I think we would be foolish to sit back and be content with the progress, when there shouldn't be lack of executing abilities to begin with.

What the video will show is how the que system continues to contribute to a stagnant small delay. While still small, under a second to be exact--as someone mentioned, it is STILL THERE. As long as this game communicates with the server first and does not use the client as an illusionist, coupled with animation priority, we still have a long way to go.

On a lighter note, combat does feel about 50% more responsive. Video incoming, stay tuned. (Its taking a while. Nothing like ability delay in high definition!)

EDIT: Make that 30%. Instants go through but they are still delayed. And if you are being knocked back you can forget about getting it off.

Edited by Starglide