Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not fixed, there is still delay when my sorc uses a heal. I dont get why people are trolling when you have a cast bar finish, the heal or ability should go off instantly. Stop being morons, if you dont feel it and your bad keep playing the game.

You shouldnt be able to mount without mounting.

Anyways, OMG NOT MY MOUNT TAKING AN EXTRA .012 SECONDS, HOW WILL I EVER KILL ANYTHING

I can still EASILY make this happen. I summon my mount, the cast bar completes, the mount appears, I push forward, and I get dismounted. Nothing changed here, very easy to replicate.

It's not a game breaker for me or anything; I always just wait a second before moving because I know this problem exists, but I'm just trying to keep it honest.

Not fixed, there is still delay when my sorc uses a heal. I dont get why people are trolling when you have a cast bar finish, the heal or ability should go off instantly. Stop being morons, if you dont feel it and your bad keep playing the game.

That's not trolling, part of the people never experienced ability delay, and others did. Just different experiences.

I don't agree. See above.

I hope you are right.

The things that need an overhaul for it to work are:

• How sound relates to animation
  • How animation relates to particle effects
  • How damage relates to animation
  • How keypresses relates animation
  • How server responds to animation-done-feedback instead of ability-feedback
  • How the client should trust that the server has the same set of rules as the client itself (First client should trust and animate/damage/play sounds, then server can revoke abilityactions)
  • The animation-system overhauled, adding ability to break animations to enable new animations to play.
  • Server-side bsp/vis-system overhaul, it seems the server thinks you can not see something that obviously can be seen, and vice verse.
  • ... and so on, too much to list

Those of you, who claims the ability delay issue is no big deal, is just plain bad players. Period.

There is no need to insult people...

PvP is a big sign off how there is most definitely a problem and I am plagued by no response when hitting a button in PvP...PvE, I have NO problems...

I understand that there is no need for people to come on this thread and argue with you when here is definitely a problem because even a Dev has made multiple comments on here...But I stress, no need to insult people and call them bad players because they dont experience a problem as you/me/we do...Lets all be big boys here

Edited by fallenvirtues

I can still EASILY make this happen. I summon my mount, the cast bar completes, the mount appears, I push forward, and I get dismounted. Nothing changed here, very easy to replicate.

It's not a game breaker for me or anything; I always just wait a second before moving because I know this problem exists, but I'm just trying to keep it honest.

I can make this happen too. I've just learned to take that slight pause before moving like when the animation for exiting a taxi ends.

I'm giving them time to solve it, but people need to stop debating whether it exists or not. There's enough proof already.

Have we really gone back to the days of Thread 1? People coming in here claiming Its not a big deal, it doesn't exist... arguing with drones again?

Unfortunately looks like it is....There is obvious a problem no matter what degree you experience it

Those of you that dont mind it, dont notice, or etc, just advoid this thread and keep happily playing and let those that are effected try and do what they can to get the problem fixed...

Have we really gone back to the days of Thread 1? People coming in here claiming Its not a big deal, it doesn't exist... arguing with drones again?

People like that are the most dangerous think for are games success. Players who dont care about an optimal game are useless imo.

You shouldnt be able to mount without mounting.

Anyways, OMG NOT MY MOUNT TAKING AN EXTRA .012 SECONDS, HOW WILL I EVER KILL ANYTHING

The point isn't that mounting takes 0.8 sec instead of 0.5. If it was as intended then that's fine, change the mounting cast time to whatever they want, but make it actually reflect the time you need to spend casting.

If an ability has a cast time of 0.5, start the animation earlier, or let us move around even while the animation is still processing. If the ability is supposed to be 0.8 sec, then have a 0.8 cast bar and a tooltip saying the CD is 0.8.

Right now the cast time is longer because BW screwed up, not because its working as intended.

Edited by Jalthi

Haven't been reading but figured I'd drop a line and say that they didn't fix anything with abilities. Server/Client code is rather crap to say the least and I can put my opinion on it being the cause of all this.

Getting a little tired of hitting unload, having it trigger the channel cast bar, my character does nothing... I move and hit unload again, same channeled cast bar, character still doing nothing... (and NO I am not getting any error messages like, "Can't Do That While Moving" or "Can't see Target", Nothing...)

People that say they don't notice this kind of stuff, I am just going to have to assume aren't aware of much of the world around them. I don't care what size blinders you put on. To not notice this kind of crap and say it's no big deal really doesn't bode well for this game.

Haven't been reading but figured I'd drop a line and say that they didn't fix anything with abilities. Server/Client code is rather crap to say the least and I can put my opinion on it being the cause of all this.

Getting a little tired of hitting unload, having it trigger the channel cast bar, my character does nothing... I move and hit unload again, same channeled cast bar, character still doing nothing... (and NO I am not getting any error messages like, "Can't Do That While Moving" or "Can't see Target", Nothing...)

People that say they don't notice this kind of stuff, I am just going to have to assume aren't aware of much of the world around them. I don't care what size blinders you put on. To not notice this kind of crap and say it's no big deal really doesn't bode well for this game.

Well, I sort of agree that those stating they do not "feel" it cannot be truly competitive players. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it boils down to three things if they do not understand ability delay:

• Players not having anything to reference it to (if they have never played WoW since WoW is the only game to nail responsiveness).
  • Players "feeling" it but cannot 'put their finger' on it.
  • Players never truly played WoW correctly. Therefore never feeling what real responsiveness is.

Anyone who states the combat system is responsive and smooth, it would be safe to assume they are not "good" players. I would say "correct", but "good" should be sufficient. I have heard too many people claiming to be hardcore and while they claim to feel no delay on certain classes, I usually hear them saying other foolish statements such as "There is no need for a combat log since damage can be seen and shown if aggro is pulled", or "There is no need for parses, I know my rotation since I can feel I am doing more damage".

These statements may not always go together, but that characteristic of player is often seen negating the fact that ability delay exists. This leads me to believe that anyone stating TOR is responsive, doesn't know (insert any three letter abbreviated phrase of assertion) they are talking about.

Theres too much proof around that shows its something wrong:

BW says its a issue, the X amount of videos, diagrams etc says and shows the issue live.

The people incisting that its not a issue and says its "Working as intended" wheres that proof?

Concrete facts instead of speculations is worth much, much more.

Unfortunatly it´s like talking to a wall because how much proof you might have is still not enough to convince people.

Xcore is one of the people that really have gotten far for not working at BW to show and help detect where the issue might be and tried to help.

Again I wish to say Thanks to all the people that have contributed to this thread with Videos, diagrams and helpful information that helps getting this issue fixed.

Dunno if this is any help because I'm just spamming heals and channeled abilities but here you go anyway.

Post 1.1.0b patch.

Thank you for that. It does seem as if they made fixes to the que system at least since you next heals are starting after the channel and not subsequently canceling it.

How does it "feel"? What can you say about the overall response during actual combat?

If you call multiple issues, like abilities not firing off at all, delay, of course people are gonna come in to this thread and say it doesn't exist...

Edited by Terko_Koslah

Hmm, I don't use the que system, but it does seem that it is working better in that video at least for those two casts. But no competitive player is going to use a que system though, still its nice if they've fixed that; didn't know it was broken before though.

Theres too much proof around that shows its something wrong:

BW says its a issue, the X amount of videos, diagrams etc says and shows the issue live.

The people incisting that its not a issue and says its "Working as intended" wheres that proof?

Concrete facts instead of speculations is worth much, much more.

Unfortunatly it´s like talking to a wall because how much proof you might have is still not enough to convince people.

Xcore is one of the people that really have gotten far for not working at BW to show and help detect where the issue might be and tried to help.

Again I wish to say Thanks to all the people that have contributed to this thread with Videos, diagrams and helpful information that helps getting this issue fixed.

It's like when people in vent who think they are good say "its your lag or ping" and "I don't feel it and I raid 3-4 days a week".

I just reply with the same thing "Its not a pretend issue. It is acknowledged by BioWare as an incredibly important issue detriment to the success of TOR".

Hmm, I don't use the que system, but it does seem that it is working better in that video at least for those two casts. But no competitive player is going to use a que system though, still its nice if they've fixed that; didn't know it was broken before though.

This is VERY untrue. Whether or not someone will use a 1.0 que system is up to them, but any competitive player completely disregarding the que system or setting it to 0, is handicapping himself. WoW had a built in .5 second que system and if you set TOR's at 0, spamming keys can still result in slight delays between abilities.

Even in WoW where the combat responsiveness is immaculate, without a que system, spamming your ability key will still result in SOME TYPE of delay. This would be incredibly detrimental to a true MIN/MAX player.

This is EXACTLY why I laugh at people claiming they are hardcore when they advise me to change this setting to fix the issue.

P.S. Not at all directed at you sir because you are in NO WAY claiming to be as hardcore as those I am mentioning.

Edited by Starglide