Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

I only had time for 1 PvP match and I have to say there is quite a big smile on my face. However, I did suffer from 2 unfortunate game discrepancies: Horrid PvP FPS, (about 15fps in wargrounds and 80-90 everywhere else) and the ability delay character responsiveness.

Regardless, this is the first match where I hit a ability and it actually fired and quickly too.

I think there is additional work that needs to be done. The mount still cancels if you try to move after the cast bar is complete which tells me that they are still have problems with the games global clock. Regardless, it actually made PvP fun for the first time. Whereas before it was 95% frustrating and 5% meh. Now it's 80% fun and 20% *** is my team doing!?!?!?

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They issued another changed since this morning. Check notes 1.1.0b.

People have been reporting that even mounting does not dismount upon channel completion. Just like WoW.

Fingers crossed. Please keep reporting in... everyone. I want to know what it feels like across the board with different classes as well.

Tested after updating to 1.1.0b. and my testing results are as I posted earlier for Maurauder.

Mounting is not fixed this was the first test I did when I signed in. You are still dismounted when the cast bar is at 100% and moving forward, however it seems more difficult to time 100% cast bar + forward arrow key, at the same time.

So many posts and it all boils down to a full remake of the game-engine which will either not happen or take several years.

what on earth are you talking about?

suppose you have already stripped down the full engine and have a competant CV is engine design and reconfiguration?

please share your curricum vitae

Posted already in other threads, but I'm still getting delays. Slightly better perhaps but sometimes I'm still waiting at least half a second after the cast before some abilities actually execute. Tracer Missile for example (though mainly on the first).

Still very much an issue.

Edited by decampo

There is going to be much placebo effect regarding this change. I tested it a bit this morning before I left for work and it didn't really seem any different (mount test, etc)... and although it seemed smooth I attribute that to the fact that fleet had 35 people in the the shard I was on. I want to see how things work in Ilum and in a Warzone myself before I get all happy. School tonight after work so it will be tomorrow before I can really test anything. :(

There is going to be much placebo effect regarding this change. I tested it a bit this morning before I left for work and it didn't really seem any different (mount test, etc)... and although it seemed smooth I attribute that to the fact that fleet had 35 people in the the shard I was on. I want to see how things work in Ilum and in a Warzone myself before I get all happy. School tonight after work so it will be tomorrow before I can really test anything. :(

Well the biggest thing you will notice first is that (at least for me as a shadow) abilities fire when you click the button. I didn't run into one situation where an ability, given the right circumstances, didn't fire. I was spamming the keyboard not because i was trying to get abilities to fire, but because i wanted fast timing (which is the way it should be). It's not perfect yet that much is evident, but its a "significant" change.

I would say that (especially in PvP) I feel like I have control of my avatar for the first time.

So I signed on all excited about improvements to the Delay.

Yes. There are improvements. Did about 4 Civil Wars and 1 Huttball. Yes, the delay is still there at times. They didn't claim it was completely fixed anyhow.

But an astounding YES to an improvement. Combat feels faster and more frantic. It still has a bit of a rough edge but is heads and tails more fluid and smooth than last night. It is definitely very noticeable and makes so much of a difference it is incredible.

Well the biggest thing you will notice first is that (at least for me as a shadow) abilities fire when you click the button. I didn't run into one situation where an ability, given the right circumstances, didn't fire. I was spamming the keyboard not because i was trying to get abilities to fire, but because i wanted fast timing (which is the way it should be). It's not perfect yet that much is evident, but its a "significant" change.

I would say that (especially in PvP) I feel like I have control of my avatar for the first time.

If this works out the same for me I'll be pretty happy. I can't count the times when a clutch CC or a knockback could of saved a match but didn't because of current issues... besides it being frustrating when you have to fight your controls just as much as your opponent.

No one said this was a one-patch fix... so if the problem is reduced but not completely fixed then that's still an overall gain. The best thing we can do is validate what is no longer an issue, and what is still messing up.

I think this is a class-to-class change. It would be important for everyone who is experiencing stuttering with a particular to bring it up so that BioWare knows what abilities are still experiencing problems. The ability delay and character responsiveness has been dramatically improved; however, please don't confuse this with specific abilities that aren't mechanically working because they are glitchy.

Edited by Etravex

Tested. Still getting speeder dismount.

Will report again after pvp and our 16man tonight.

You shouldnt be able to mount without mounting.

Anyways, OMG NOT MY MOUNT TAKING AN EXTRA .012 SECONDS, HOW WILL I EVER KILL ANYTHING

If this works out the same for me I'll be pretty happy. I can't count the times when a clutch CC or a knockback could of saved a match but didn't because of current issues... besides it being frustrating when you have to fight your controls just as much as your opponent.

I hear you. In my PvP match on the Voidstar let me setup a situation that happened that gave me great pleasure.

Friendly was planting explosive on the door about half way done. I saw 2 sith drop down and start moving towards him both casters.

I had the plan worked out in my head: I was going to force stun 1 and quickly interupt cast on the other followed by a knock down.

I executed all 3 abilities exactly when I hit the buttons and prevented them from interupting the bomb planter. It was very exciting to see my plans coming to fruition.

In a previous version this would have never been possible with the ability delay.

Edited by Etravex

As for instant spells having a cast time... I agree with this, they technically do. It's a different design philosophy as opposed to WoW that doesn't care what it looks like, it just applies the damage first, and plays the animation as a second. If Bioware wants to tie animations with the numbers game, that is fine (it certainly looks good), it just adds another layer of balancing as they have to ensure all animations are tweaked and tuned properly.

No, this is impossible, from a competitive stand point. And a huge chunk of the playerbase play this as a competitive game. The instant cast spells have to be instant.

No, this is impossible, from a competitive stand point. And a huge chunk of the playerbase play this as a competitive game. The instant cast spells have to be instant.

This comment makes no sense. If everyone has the same 'handicap' then everyone can play competitively. If the other guys 'instant' spell in actuality also takes 0.5 seconds to 'cast' then how does he have a leg up on you. Please explain??!

This. Abilities like Maul (instant, positional req, assassin) have the execute and damage tied to the last few MS of the animation. Someone should not be able to "see" that I have initiated an "instant" and then be able to "juke" or counter it with a "faster" "instant".

what on earth are you talking about?

suppose you have already stripped down the full engine and have a competant CV is engine design and reconfiguration?

please share your curricum vitae

Answered you in kind and got warned, what I said with other words were that if you're only here to try to be disrespectful to other people, you should not post. Please try to follow the thread and OP instead of being disrespectful.

I am still getting abilities not working, i can press them 10 times the animation will start stop stuttering then finally casts it. Also sometimes the GCD will go off but the ability will do nothing.

This small patch update did nothing.

I've read reports it was tied to slower dual-core processors vs multi... I'd bet that multi-core users are seeing bigger gains than older dual core users... since the gaming community as a whole is divided about 50/50, mixed reviews is exactly what I would expect if my hypothesis were vetted.

The core aspect is only a contributing factor to the overall problem. No one expect to see zero lag, as evident in WoW. It comes down to what I said in earlier posts:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2066953#post2066953

What it comes down to is the way the client communicates with the server, priority system and then the illusion of control. What WoW does is make UI reaction, GCD and input react client side. The point in which you see the numbers is based on your lag differentiation. Although, the actual animation and execution is displayed client side. This gives the illusion of more control. For example: when you lag out in WoW, you can continue to move and attack, but the numbers will not communicate with the server. Therefore, your abilities do not go "through" but you still see them performed.

Currently in TOR, the game tries to communicate everything with the server first, making it feel clunky. This alone, unfortunately, isn't our big issue. As you mentioned, it does play a roll, but when you add in the fact that they prioritize animation over application, you have one big cluster of detachment from your character. So even if today's patch fixed some lag issues, which it probably did, it still will not feel as tight as WoW unless they prioritize the application of abilities over animation. Like I have stated in the linked posts; the que system and the ability system seems to respond to the animation of your character as opposed to the UI and GCD. For example: when you input your next ability while casting Ravage (a 3 second channel), your next ability will cancel the channel as opposed to queing for after the channel. Stopping the animation than ultimately stopping the ability since the ability will not function without the animation present. In WoW, if you are channeling an ability and input your next when the channel is almost complete, the game will wait until the channel is complete (if you do not move to cancel), then start the next ability. This shows that WoW is strict to its ability execution and leads us to believe that TOR is strict to its animations.

This unfortunately leads to a feeling of detachment since your abilities are basing itself on animations that continue to react past your input and past the GCD, whereas WoW reacts upon the completion of input itself.

So many posts and it all boils down to a full remake of the game-engine which will either not happen or take several years.

I don't agree. See above.

Lol the ability delay is fixed.

Not being able to zoom around with no mount like you can on wow is working as intended.

Stop speaking for Bioware, you have no idea what is intended or not. Unless a Bioware source says something along those lines, I will consider dismounting me after the cast bar complete (and I even appear visually mounted) a flaw in gameplay.

Furthermore, you are the exact same person that claimed there is no issue with delay, exact same person that claimed its all intended, l2p or go back to WoW. Funny how you people go through different phases of ret*****ion but always remain the same. I wish you realized how much you harm SW:TOR and Bioware with your blind following.

It is people like you who are to blame for this mediocrity in the MMO Genre, it is people like you who keep Blizzard and WoW at the top.