Dual Spec - It's a must! (NOT ACs)

Enigma

I'm with enigma on this one. I think dual spec. would add a lot of versatility and make the game more enjoyable for a lot of players. Every argument I've seen discounting this is in my opinion just ridiculous. Being a sorcerer I'd like to see dual spec. implemented into the game so i can either do healing and dps or go nightmare and lightning, lightning being for pve and nightmare being for pvp.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dev's already confirmed that we're getting Dual Spec so no need to ask for it.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming-Gadgets/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Developer-Live-Chat-Transcript/td-p/406744

Best Buy Dev Chat Transcript from December 14, 2011. Ctrl + F, type "Dual Spec".

"Guest-87: Any word if there will be dual specing within the same advance class?

Gaming-BBY: >>James: We’re definitely looking at allowing dual specing within the same advanced class soon after ship."

Lots of other good stuff in that transcript, too.

Thanks for the link

Dual specialization. NOT for Advanced Classes.

Flashpoints -

Problems = Can't find a tank or healer. OR to many tanks/healers

Solution = Dual Spec. With how the loot drops in swtor it's easy enough for all the hybrid classes to have both sets of gear. This would be promoting more Hard Mode flashpoints.

Operations -

Problems = To many players of a particular spec.

Solution = Dual Spec. Having the flexability of choices allows for your group of friends to mix and match their specs to better accommodate the particular fight.

PvP -

Problems = No healers/tanks in the warzone to give a fighting chance for PUGs.

Solution = Dual Spec. you have 1-2mins before each fight to determine what your group makeup is . Then you have the chance to make balanced group.

The true bottom line is this.

Dual Spec helps EVERYONE!

So let me guess you play DPS

Why do people post this stuff. It amazes me

Dual spec actually increases the problem, not alleviate it

I can give numerous games where when a healer doesnt have to heal or a tank doesnt have to tank, they will dps

It is a sorry fact in these games, simply because 90% of people really want to play a dps character, because, flat out, they do not want any responsibility

Anything pug related all you ever get is people blaming the healer or people blaming the tank

My suggestion is simply join a guild, make friends etc

But please lets not make the issue worse then it is

Dev's already confirmed that we're getting Dual Spec so no need to ask for it.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming-Gadgets/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Developer-Live-Chat-Transcript/td-p/406744

Best Buy Dev Chat Transcript from December 14, 2011. Ctrl + F, type "Dual Spec".

"Guest-87: Any word if there will be dual specing within the same advance class?

Gaming-BBY: >>James: We’re definitely looking at allowing dual specing within the same advanced class soon after ship."

Lots of other good stuff in that transcript, too.

People must really start reading all the text instaed of reading 10% and then use it as an absolute

Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch. Also, features like Guard, PvP Taunt, Resolve, etc. work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP).

that is the whole sentence and that is around 7-10 months old but that aswell doesnt say that they will implement it into the game.

and then we have this from about the same time

Georg Zoeller

Seems obvious that he avoided the question, probably because they won't have dual spec at release.

I think the translation makes it sound like I'm avoiding something there, which isn't the case.

First, we fully understand why dual spec is a popular topic.

Currently, we do not see the need to allow for dual spec at release. It's something that we'll definitely monitor over time, but we do think there is enough flexibility in the class system to keep people occupied well past launch.

Georg Zoeller clears up any confusion about changing skill trees within an Advanced Class and the ability to have two different specs simultaneously.

Georg Zoeller

What it doesn't say is "you can longer pay to reset your tree points and re-do them",which being able to was confirmed a long time ago.

Correct. The ability to respec your skill point distribution is still in the game.

Summary, since this is a confusing topic:

You can change your skill point distribution by paying credits at a vendor on your capital world. That has not changed.

You may or may not be able to change your Advanced Class, we haven't decided on this one yet. If you can, the cost would be significant. That has not changed.

There is currently no plan to add dual spec (the ability to swap almost instantly between two skill point configurations) for launch. At this point, it seems not necessary for us, but we're not opposed to add it at a later point / patch should we feel that the game would benefit from it.

Hope that helps.

then we have the latest update from Stephen Reid from now in December

Q: do you think that alternative specs will be allowed at some stage in the future? Also, legacy system, any further insight you are willing to share with us at this point in time?

Dual specs could well come at some point in the future - it's been discussed for sure. Legacy System... will be cool? :)

But still where in those posts above do you actually see that they are 100% that they WILL implement it?

And still it doesnt stand that they w will not implement dual specc either.

These are all the information that exists about Dual Specc so as i said there isnt anything 100% concrete how this game will handle and or and if they will implement Dual Specc.

And when people are saying that Bioware have promised that they will implement Dual specc they are either misinformed or havent realised that want doesnt mean will

Edited by Varghjerta

They will be added. It may be a few months out but there will not be a successful MMORPG in these days, that pushes the Holy Trinity of combat, that does not have dual spec to go along with it.

I am one of those that usually gravitate toward healing at end game. I've also tanked in the past. I will not live in a pure heal spec that forces me to take even 20 minutes longer to do my dailies a day. I don't care if healing a tank companion makes it to where I cannot fail - I do not want to take 30 minutes to do a daily as a heal spec that I could accomplish in 15 or less as a dps spec.

I am not alone in that sentiment. Until dual spec is implemented, I'll only be healing for the guild - and that will be rare due to the lack of mouseover healing support and hard to recognize debuffs.

Dual spec does need to be added to this game very soon. People who object to it must not have played Rift. I also heard WoW introduced dual specs. Keep this in mind, most MMOs are built with two different game types built in. PVP and PVE. If MMOs integrated the two more seamlessly, such as games that used skill based system instead of level / spec based then you wouldn't need dual specs. This and many other MMOs have two types of equipment, PVP and PVE gear, again proving the separation of the two play styles. It only makes sense if you have two types of gear to be allowed to have two types of specs so you can participate in both.

I'm a balanced spec sage. I do great in warzones with this spec, but there is no way I'm going to be a healer for a hard mode or raid. I decided to go healing spec and got stomped in warzones since I was in PUGs. Healing is no fun in PVP for me, but I enjoy it for PVE.

Another point is that I may only have time to do flashpoints once or twice a week, but unless I'm a healing spec, which is not what I want to play, I'm SOL in doing those. I'm not going to play a healing spec the rest of the time I'm on just so I can do a few HMs. I cant afford to switch specs every time I want to do PVE. And hybrid specs make you worthless as well. A hybrid sage means well I cant heal too awesome and it is difficult to get solo kills in pvp.

Edited by Zandik

Needs to be added since for some reason I am on my 15th day since my last respec and the cost STILL has not reset and in game GMs are blind because they can't read the ticket telling me where to respec and how....rather than reading that I already knew that and help with the issue.

Having to pay such outragous prices, and then have them bug out and not reset after 2 weeks when the reset timer is supposed to be 1 week is a little retarded.

Needs to be added since for some reason I am on my 15th day since my last respec and the cost STILL has not reset and in game GMs are blind because they can't read the ticket telling me where to respec and how....rather than reading that I already knew that and help with the issue.

Having to pay such outragous prices, and then have them bug out and not reset after 2 weeks when the reset timer is supposed to be 1 week is a little retarded.

Hmm, have you tried to respec, get told it would cost X, and then cancel the request? I seem to recall someone saying that you are only told it was reset and is free after you are told a non-zero cost and accept.

I haven't respec'ed, so I don't know first-hand. But I seem to recall people saying this on the forums.

Sorry, I didn't read every page, so not sure if a solution was brought up...but how do you prevent douchebags from ninja'ing whatever gear piece you need?

In WoW, other peeps can roll on your gear if they meet the requirements (stats/armor type), even if the gear isn't for their intended role. Players can simply say "need for my tank/dps/heal set" and you would have to compete with them...this really sucked...I guess it was mainly a problem because of cross-server LFD groups, but would be nice if there was a solution for this.

No problem with dual spec here, as long as you get charged each time you switch specs.

I'm curious why there would need to be a charge?

If I know how to play football, does that mean I should not also be able to know how to play baseball when a friend wants and simply be able do it when asked?

We're talking class talent trees here, not going from a rocket scientist to a brain surgeon =)

How i see that dual spec is a must. Is because of the fact that i am forced to respec now every time to dps if i want to quest. I've geared my companions a lot. But i cant let my companions do the dmg as they dont dish out enough dmg to get strong mobs down. (not to talk about elite mobs) as they will need a lot of healing to keep alive. On the other note. If i want to help out dpsing a mob during the questing i can hardly do 3 shots before my heat starts riseing to 40/50. And if i do 2 more shots then im heat capped and cant do **** anymore not even heal my companion.

Therefore im forced to switch to dps spec to quest and if i then want to do flashpoints and they need healers i am having to switch again to healer. This is quiet annoying because i wouldnt mind to be a healer full time. IF i were at least able to quest on my own and not constantly need a group to do anything.

I certainly would mind it. MY guild is crying out for a BH DPS and there's currently almost no call for me as a Powertech tank which is what I've geared and speced as since level 10.

It'd be nice, but I've played WoW back in vanilla, back when I had to pay for respecs every 2-3 hours to switch between raid leading, PvP, and soloing.

Ok first of all i think we should have dual specs cause on my juggernaut i like to pve tank and in pvp rage spec but it sucks every time paying so much money to switch specs. and if they dont do dual specs they should at least make the cost lower and the ability to respec right where u are instead of going to a mentor. But i prefer a dual spec. It doesnt hurt anyone cause if your in a normal raid guild its gunna be on master loot so u cant need for your off spec so i say LET THERE BE DUAL SPECS.:cool:

Bio wants a dual spec system in. I think they are taking their time though to make it more complex than Blizzards system in WoW.

Blizzard... you click a button and your talent trees change. I think Bio knows it should offer more than just a talent tree change.

it doesn't matter how YOU play .. I'm talking about how the MAJORITY play.

and its not just because.. maybe its because i like to play differently with my class.

Really? So when you posted:

"Dual Spec helps EVERYONE!"

You meant "eveyone" but certain people?

I want dual spec's because being a tank kinda sucks at endgame. I need to tank like 2 fights per OP, and the rest of the time I'm dpsing, and since bioware's go to move for difficulty is enrage timers, i'd like to be a bit more useful.