Is RE broke?

Priam

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp, spent a week and well over 200 blues to get a purple vanguard tanking earpiece. Haven't got a single purple either. Something is telling me the % has been changed..... Also I had to do well over a 100 before I got the "Redobut" prefix. This RE stuff should have not been such ****** %'s from the beginning or they should buff the stats on the items. It is getting ridiculous.

So, for lucky people, who get recipes on the first or second try the mini-game is not broken in any way, shape or form? LOL, funny logic. Let's make it impossible to get recipe before ten or more tries then, so it will even chances of lucky and unlucky people.

I'm sorry, do you actually believe that some people are lucky at RE and others are unlucky? It's random. There aren't people running around with lucky rabbits feet. Unless you believe the video game gods are smiling on certain people...

The rates associated with reverse engineering these items should be the same as it was before the patch, and it should be possible to learn the blue to purple recipes.

Either your information is wrong or the patch broke something unintentionally.

Either way I'll take this as a conformation of my growing belief that high-level crafting is a waste of time/credits. Thanks for at least saving me any further effort in that direction.

At this moment I already spent so many materials, that even IF i would get a recipe, I guess i should ask close to 500k a 1mil for 1 item, to earn back the investment costs.

I have to agree with this statement completely. Considering the high cost involved with trying to RE an item, it kinda forces crafters to then turn around and put a hefty pricetag on those items to recoup some of their losses. I have personally spent over 100k just trying to RE a single GREEN to BLUE. In the grand scheme of things I have spent much, much more than that, but I think 100k was probably the highest I've spent on a single item. Does that mean I should be charging 10k for each of those items I sell, hoping to sell 10 of them so I can break even? What if every crafter who's gone through this priced their items accordingly? Would there be any crafted items for sale? Would anyone even want to buy them? Does anyone even want to buy them now, considering the availability of comparable items from loot/pvp/commendations?

If this were a real market situation, with the amount of time and money you have to invest in research (reverse engineering), you would either need to have a really hot product that everyone wants to buy, or you would have to put an outrageous price on the item and hope that you sell enough. Otherwise your business is doomed to failure before it even starts.

Not sure if anyone has taken this into consideration but, location, location, location. My RE successes appear to occur more frequently when I'm on my ship or at Carrick Station. Could be a bonus when your closer to one of those crafting stations.

I've had really good RE runs in random places like Corellia or Nar Shadaa. I've also had really bad ones on the Fleet.

Welcome to randomness.

PS For anyone that thinks RE os "broken" since the last patch - this morning I RE'd around 15 things and got 7 schems, which is an awesome streak. 6 blue, 1 purple. Nothing super high level (they were level 29-37 range). Guess I must be the luckiest person in the whole wide world since RE is "broken".

I understand this game is only a month old so willing to put up with alot, but the RE change is making me revisit if I want to continue my subscription.

Why was the change to RE not in the patch note, every other game the patch notes are extensive and list all the changes.

If people were told the RE percentage had been changed then people would have had visibility. Instead everyone has to find out the hard way that the reason RE's are not procing is not because they are having exceptionally bad luck, but due to a patch.

BW please acknowledge that you changed the RE proc (from what to what it is now), at the very least. I for one am running out of patience. (especially as I raised an ingame ticket on this and they closed it with an automated answer)

I understand this game is only a month old so willing to put up with alot, but the RE change is making me revisit if I want to continue my subscription.

Why was the change to RE not in the patch note, every other game the patch notes are extensive and list all the changes.

If people were told the RE percentage had been changed then people would have had visibility. Instead everyone has to find out the hard way that the reason RE's are not procing is not because they are having exceptionally bad luck, but due to a patch.

BW please acknowledge that you changed the RE proc (from what to what it is now), at the very least. I for one am running out of patience. (especially as I raised an ingame ticket on this and they closed it with an automated answer)

And you know there actually was a change in the odds because....?

I haven't noticed it being particularly harder or easier.

RE Proc rate before and after patch.

Presently trying to RE lvl 43 Blues to get a purple and are on over 70 RE's so far with no success. Prior to patch proc rate I was only needing about 20 to get a purple.

The number of posters since the patch stating they are now seeing hardly any proc's is also a good indicator of something changing.

It could just be coincidence I suppose.

I can't help but wonder how percentage chances work.

Same chance for everything?

Same chance for certain level ranges?

Same chance for certain items?

Specific chance for specific items?

Specific chance for the player on the next blue/purple to get regardless of item type or level?

With how all over the place it is, my hunch is that, intentionally or otherwise, certain items have a much lower or higher chance than others, and that the numbers for many of them need to be fixed.

I had to RE about 60 level 9 vibroknives just to get the blue on my armstech, which is absurd. Other items though, generally, only took 3-10 tries.

It would be great if BioWare would just tell us how it works and what the odds are.

Edited by Fygee

You think that`s bad?! Yesterday (before the patch) I had to reverse engineer at least 30 green resolve armoring 14 to get a blue schematic! I really wanted to upgrade my gear with a purple ones but the potential costs of required underworld metals made me think whether it`s worth it... All in all it seems that a success rate of RE is highly dependant on luck or lack thereof. And the situation you are describing is probably far from being the worst case of bad luck.

On the other hand, I got a similar result for my Trooper armoring some 14's in less than 10 tries. The RNG was not with you, and whatever the odds are, they do not change based on how many you do. You simply have more chances to make it, whatever the odds are.

Yes, this makes you want to chew glass if it's a high-level one.

And yes, I strongly suspect RE rates get lower as the item gets high level.

Started a couple alts crafting over the weekend, (bio and cyber) and was quite surprised about how quickly I was REing things at first.

'Course, it's also possible tiered RE's are harder than non-tiered.

(and P.S. there is a bug in that it wouldn't even let me TRY to RE a grenade I made... wondering if I have to be high enough level to use it first or something?)

I have to agree with some of the sentiment here that if it is going to take 30-40 or more green items re'd to get a blue schematic, then this type of crafting really is useless, at least from my perspective as an artificer. While I burn through resources, credits, and time to struggle to get the blue schematic for a level 49 bastion enhancement, or a level 49 guardian hilt, I can instead go and earn credits, legacy xp, and get loot drops doing daily Ilum and Belsavis quests to get daily comms, and buy the purple level 50 bastion enhancements and guardian hilts.

I guess I'll leave the RE'ing to those that enjoy the frustration.

This right here is why crafting in TOR fails.

It was fun, i even thought it was quite good till ppl hit engame and said DAILY rewards trump anything crafters can make...

Ive tried to re about 50 green enhancements for my companions for a blue without success. At this rate i will be on the next lvl enhancements by the time i actually get a blue out of it.. Worthless....

WHY BW!.Why does everything have to revolve around tokens. Do you really think your player base is as simple minded as wow where we need our hand held thruout the whole game?

Having issues here here - artificer.

Made 15 copies of two hilt types (30 total)

Made 5 copies of two off-hands (10 total)

Made 10 copies of two crystals (20 total)

reverse-engineering = ZERO upgraded plans.

Reverse-engineering seems useless as making the green version so many times means you reach the next threshold of that item before you see a blue.

Total agree. The *biggest* problem in the game in regards to crafting is the ease of acquiring commendations. Lower level ones should *only* have been available from flashpoint dailies.

And high end ones should have ONLY been available from operations.

i.e. if you don't get/win the drop you want, you can still save up to get something good.

Had that been the case, crafted goods would be FAR more in demand.

Since the patch I have not gotten a single recipe for RE... as the first poster stated... 1-10 was typical... I have even managed a couple purples for 15-17 range; but now?

22 hilts for level 23... my Jedi is level 22 and nothing.

It's either bugged or they tweaked the crit chance.

I could understand it being tougher at the end; but you aren't leveling anymore at 50... so you can farm mats for a month and have losses... but when you are still leveling up- it's become ridiculous.

Maybe the commendation system was intended because BW never meant crew skills to be 'useful' at level until you got to cap.

That's the vibe I'm getting out of it.

Hi,

Yes I've reverse engineering since the last patch.

I would say that you do know that the chance gets lower the higher level you go right?

So if you've leveled your crafting since the last patch then yes, the chance will of course be lower.

At least that's the last I read from any official source.

If you make a low level char and re, you'l get much better results than at level 350 for example.

Still, apart from the 'we're working on things' type talk, it would be nice to get a better understanding of how things should/are working instead of waiting for us to complain they must be broken and explain.

They should be more proactive with info and then they'd get fewer tickets and improve cs.

Has anyone seen an RE success since?

Since monday night/Tuesday morning?

Couple of lvl 16 stims to blue,

One of level 16 adrenald to purple.

lvl 16 med kit (one that heals companions) to blue to purple

2 lvl 25 implants to both redoubt blue (which I didn't want) and either overkill or critical (don't remember which) 3rd type I got redoubt on, still trying for overkill or critical

3 lvl 15 earpieces to blue, (overkill or critical) plus 1 to redoubt

ditto fo the next 2 levels of earpieces, excepting the redoubt on the lvl over lvl 20

lvl 39 heavy chest to purple, (admittedly got the "already know that schematic" annoyance)

lvl 39 light chest to blue

lvl 39 light bottoms to blue.

So yeah, I've had successes since then. I also happen to know my family never plays games of luck with me because I almost always won. My experience is It's happening quicker than usual, but I've decided to chalk that up to easier RE's for either lower level items or linear ones. (or just vagaries of luck)