The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Post 1.1 Ilum PVP Issues Discussion

JovethGonzalez

I'm sorry, BW.

I REALLY want to enjoy your game as I find it a very nice change from the normal fantasy MMO's out there.

The issue here is this: I've spent the last 3 weeks grinding out Valor rank 39 on my Trooper and find your choice to allow Ilum to go live in such a state that people can accomplish the same feat plus more in a matter of hours while AFK and/or spawn camping a severely underpopultated faction absolutely reprehensible.

The simple fact that you have trivialized all of the work that people have placed into ranking up since launch really casts some doubts on your judgement in matters of game development and balancing.

Thus far I have dealt with:

Raid Frames which do not update properly

Abilities which do not activate properly (Full Auto)

Getting kicked to the character select screen when I accept a WZ queue

A Ridiculous PVP DR system

A Ridiculous PVP Gear progression system

...and I keep telling myself that BW is going to work things out, and I will enjoy this game. Unfortunately, things like the recent Ilum debacle make me realize how wrong I have been.

I work in Human Resources, and we have a saying as it pertains to promoting people: "Don't promote based on potential". This means you don't reward someone because of what you THINK they are capable of; you reward them based on what they DEMONSTRATE what they are capable of.

No matter how much potential I believe this game has, you have failed to demonstrate that this game is worth my $15/month.

Best of luck to you, and I hope for your sake you take a good long look at the people you have hired to make decisions for this game.

Edited by Killadrix

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don`t know if this have been pointed out but this was a relay bad time to drop a patch that ruined the game for a lot of people.

This because myself and a lot of people are getting billed for the first sub period tomorrow... and i guess some of these are not going to bother and some are going to unsub

BioWare You need to say/address this "potential issue" before the day ends or you`ll lose a lot of subs at least not gain any...

Honestly,

I feel like this is my fault. I spent all my time on the test server doing the new flashpoints and trying to find problems in operations.

I didn't even travel to Ilum.

People complaining on here should shut up and give constructive feedback. I know most of you fools didnt log into test to see what the pvp changes would bring.

I do agree though, the current state is broken and I hope unintended.

What he said.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2971/patch11awesome.png

last 1h 30min on ilum has been a blast!

Only thing awesome about this pic is the jedi in the middle of the page, pretty tight pic right there. Other than that...jesus how could they miss this....

Please see the video in my sig....yea...somehow I doubt just removing the turret valor will stop this...YOU MADE IT SO THEY HAVE TO KILL REPUBLIC. Do you really think they wont camp the spawn to get those kills for the daily/weekly?

I've been playing games since I was 7... that's nearly 20 years and in all these 20 years, I HAVE NEVER, EVER SEEN SUCH INCOMPETENCE from any dev team.

I'll be really happy if I hear that today SW:ToR lost 250 000 subscribers cuz of the incompetence of the dev team. That would literary make my day.

Whatever issues Guild Wars 2 might be having... they would CERTAINLY not be as game breaking as what you've brought upon us today.

Yeh well i can name several...Tol Barrad immediately comes to mind lol! Anyway please roll this back so we can limit the severity of this debacle to all your player base.

Let me preface by stating that I am an imperial player because my buddies (guildies) wanted to try the "bad guys" for a change. So here I am. Had I realized the factional population would be this unbalanced, I would have convinced my guild to roll republic (I like being the underdog). The problem however is that I have now logged hours and hours of play time on my Bounty Hunter and once I roll a toon, I pretty much stick with it. Not one for creating tons of alts.

I really do wish I could somehow flip a switch and swap my current toon over to the republic side (or atleast to it's equivalent mirror class).

I would in a heart beat and I think a lot of others who want to see pvp a success in this game would do the same.

Solution:At this point the only way the devs can get server faction populations balanced is to:

A.) Allow faction transfers,

B.) Allow Server transfers,

C.) Allow both faction transers AND server transfers.

Option A is generally the best option and the easiest to implement as it generally helps balance things and does not leave vacant or dead servers by having a mass exodus of players moving from server to server.

I think factional transfer is the best solution at this stage in the game. If you agree and support this, please petition in the thread below.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1782280#post1782280

Way i see it, form my expert Mmo experience. ( i didnt play wow, so im like expertz)

nothing you can really do.

Revert changes? sure, pvp will become dead on Ilum.

do anything to Ilum? Pvp is unbalanced.

a 50/50 will never happen, it's impossible with out Forced control. 60/40, is more possible.

how to fix it? well thats your job mr.bioware.

Those that abused it should be hit with 24-72 hour bans.

People participating in this stuff without reporting it is bad for the entire community.

Its not ABUSE. IT'S GAME DESIGN. This is designed to reward massive valor in Ilum. You can't fault these people for getting their valor. The game lets them. It's not an exploit either. This was what was proposed by the PvP team I suppose. Sitting in my office reading the patch notes, this immediately came to mind days ago. Anyone with any common sense knows that if you reward a lot of valor for kills, the bigger side will be dominating and camping.

The best solution is to just ban all people exploiting the turrets. An exploit is doing something that is not an intended game mechanic. That should balance out the factions a bit more as well since most of the ones involved are Empire and the people doing it are pvpers who suck the soul out of every MMO that exists.

Any serious PvP:er is probably Not doing it. It's the PvE:ers that want the PvP gear they otherwise never would get. Understandable since the PvP gear is as good as teh PvE gear, but better in PvP.

Dont blame it on the PvP:ers since I have a feeling that most of them already have a rather nice rank, and dont want to ruin it completely by exploiting to valor rank 100 ;)

Easy.

Cap instances, lets say 100 players every instance. That means one instance there will always be only imps in but they can change instance once a imp leave 1 of the other instances.

And place way more turrets that hit harder on all the spawn points.And alow players to change spawn place when dead if one place is over run to a safe location on the map.

Edited by Lord_Karsk

I'm sorry, BW.

I REALLY want to enjoy your game as I find it a very nice change from the normal fantasy MMO's out there.

The issue here is this: I've spent the last 3 weeks grinding out Valor rank 39 on my Trooper and find your choice to allow Ilum to go live in such a state that people can accomplish the same feat this plus more in a matter of hours while AFK and/or spawn camping a severely underpopultated faction absolutely reprehensible.

The simple fact that you have trivialized all of the work that people have placed into ranking up since launch really casts some doubts on your judgement in matters of game development and balancing.

Thus far I have dealt with:

Raid Frames which do not update properly

Abilities which do not activate properly (Full Auto)

Getting kicked to the character select screen when I accept a WZ queue

A Ridiculous PVP DR system

A Ridiculous PVP Gear progression system

...and I keep telling myself that BW is going to work things out, and I will enjoy this game. Unfortunately, things like the recent Ilum debacle make me realize how wrong I have been.

I work in Human Resources, and we have a saying as it pertains to promoting people: "Don't promote based on potential". This means you don't reward someone because of what you THINK they are capable of; you reward them based on what they DEMONSTRATE what they are capable of.

No matter how much potential I believe this game has, you have failed to demonstrate that this game is worth my $15/month.

Best of luck to you, and I hope for your sake you take a good long look at the people you have hired to make decisions for this game.

Wel i went to 60 pre 1.1 and now have unsubbed , game was bad anyway this just pushed me over the edge

Played just about every PvP MMO since Ultima Online and I can say for sure that SWTOR just won the crown with this patch ...

how many development years for this? you just destroyed it all in few hours !

congratulation ! this day was supposed to be about SOPA protest and you made it about death of SWTOR

I have been posting repeatedly that these changes would magnify the server population imbalances if they went live. I am now at a loss for what to say as I simply do not understand how this could be overlooked or not anticipated. You are giving PvP rewards based on ownership in a zone without any effort to actually balance the zone. Even if you fix the turrets this is still a poor system that will discourage the lower pop side (usually republic but not always) from participating.

And all the people asking for server transfers to even out the sides are the vocal minority. What will really happen if you did that is even more people would switch to the "easy zerg win" side. People follow the path of least resistance for rewards.

I see what's happening here. Someone at Bioware is deliberately sabotaging SWToR. That's the only rational possibility that I can accept. Otherwise, everyone in charge of PvP development for the game is a moron. That's not true, right? Some other company slipped a mole in, Blizzard, perhaps? You aren't really retarded, correct?

Its not ABUSE. IT'S GAME DESIGN. This is designed to reward massive valor in Ilum. You can't fault these people for getting their valor. The game lets them. It's not an exploit either. This was what was proposed by the PvP team I suppose. Sitting in my office reading the patch notes, this immediately came to mind days ago. Anyone with any common sense knows that if you reward a lot of valor for kills, the bigger side will be dominating and camping.

Turrets aren't pvp.

I've been playing games since I was 7... that's nearly 20 years and in all these 20 years, I HAVE NEVER, EVER SEEN SUCH INCOMPETENCE from any dev team.

I'll be really happy if I hear that today SW:ToR lost 250 000 subscribers cuz of the incompetence of the dev team. That would literary make my day.

Whatever issues Guild Wars 2 might be having... they would CERTAINLY not be as game breaking as what you've brought upon us today.

This is definitely NOT the first time that things like this have happened in games, and it will definitely NOT be the last. How does it honestly affect you? Do you enjoy other aspects of the game? Is the storyline not good enough for you? Can you not find fights elsewhere? Go to Voss, go to Hoth, go to Tatooine, go anywhere and you can find PvP fights.

At least in the old iteration of Ilum, it was a cordial social gathering, where rivals would discuss their PvP escapades. I enjoyed talking to the opposing faction while we shot rockets at each others' crawlers.