HORRIBLE AA implamentation.

GuillimanT

Game actually runs even better now after the patch and my computer is not so great (Intel Core 2 Quad 3.20Ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 6850) and all my settings are set to high except shadows are turned off.. I even have AA set to high and my game runs better now. PvP lag is gone too! :D

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whiners =! players, if some people choose to leave when the "free" month is over it's ok, the game's been out for a month so it's still too soon to judge about that.

People who spend the whole time complaining and whining are not players IMHO, because if you're complaining you're not playing much since you don't enjoy the game, better unsub ASAP in those cases.

Here we're discussing about a very common feature most games have and it's not fully working for now despite being announced in the patch notes as being present in the game as of today's patch, nothing else.

It really doesn't matter if some players like it or don't see it as a important feature, when you know something doesn't work, just don't release it, we already had the beta to test if it worked or not.

I guess you didn't spend this whole month leveling and farming valor just to see every new 50 get to valor 60 in a day. Most people cancelled their subs for this, I don't think anyone quit because they can't play with AA on. That's enough to judge a game and the people behind it, stealing your money and laughing at your face.

Now keep discussing about an optional feature that doesn't really have impact in gameplay (other than making the game look better at the cost of performance, just like in any game out there), but don't blame it for the massive subscription cancelling. The AA and the Ilum exploit are different issues, one is a game-breaking issue, the other isn't. We all can live without AA, tho we would like it in the game, ofc. I can run the game just fine with AAx2 or x4, forcing it through the drivers, so this isn't really an issue for me. Anyway, just wanted to clarify that. The problem with this patch isn't the (lack of) AA. The problem is the exploit in Ilum and the way BW isn't handling it. That's a huge mistake, big enough to kill this game.

How do you patch something into the game and not even have it working?

Heh, show me the new MMO that has not. I remember Wow's first patch. Crashed the entire game, down for at least a day. After the fix, people were falling through the world. ;p

It survived, this game will survive.

Here's a quick test for people saying it doesn't work:

Roll a new character Republic side. A Jedi. (This probably works Empire side, too, but I haven't looked there yet).

OK, once you're in... make sure AA is off. Now look at your training saber.

Got that? OK, now, once your eyes stop bleeding, turn AA on and look at it again.

Here's a quick test for people saying the AA does work...

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3729/swtor11antialiasing.jpg

(sorry for the huge image size, but I didn't want to have photoshop change anything w/ the images other than the text)

Maybe its just my card (Radeon 6950 2gb) but there's definitely no AA visible in those screenshots to me.

The counter is obviously jagged, qyzen's techblade is also jagged in all 3 shots, w/ no difference visible at all to me, anyway.

*edit* NVM, I see in devtracker that they are aware AA isn't working on ATI 69xx cards.

Edited by iamzombie

Here's a quick test for people saying the AA does work...

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3729/swtor11antialiasing.jpg

(sorry for the huge image size, but I didn't want to have photoshop change anything w/ the images other than the text)

Maybe its just my card (Radeon 6950 2gb) but there's definitely no AA visible in those screenshots to me.

The counter is obviously jagged, qyzen's techblade is also jagged in all 3 shots, w/ no difference visible at all to me, anyway.

*edit* NVM, I see in devtracker that they are aware AA isn't working on ATI 69xx cards.

It's also not working on my 5870 card. These developers are redefining incompetence.

I have a GTX 570 and up until today I was forcing anti-aliasing which didn't seem to be working all that great.

I have v-synch turned on.

Today, with AA turned on and of course all graphics at max, the shadows (my personal barometer for graphics) look smooth and realistic. With forced AA they still looked a bit jaggy. My FPS is locked in at 60, v-synch.

Nicely done BW, at least for my rig.

Hi folks,

Just in case you missed it, we added the following to the Known Issues thread earlier today:

• Anti-aliasing is currently disabled for ATI 6900 series graphics cards.

• Holograms will disappear during conversations if players modify their preferences to turn off bloom while anti-aliasing is on.

To give you all some more insight, the ATI issue is due to a severe graphical glitch and we are in discussions with ATI to resolve this. Thank you for your patience.

Just for you information, I have a HD7970 and am running at 1920x1200 and the AA isn't working here neither. (Although forcing it through CCC obviously works).

Edited by KroonBerg

Works fine for me.

i5 2500K Stock

GTX 570

8GB GSkill RipJaw 1337

80GB Intel 320 SSD

Have V-Sync on all the time, so couldn't tell you how much above 60FPS I get. I've had AA forced on since I startes. So long as holos show up now and trees don' act funny in cut scenes, I'm fine with this patch.

Works for me too similar PC

3.5 ghz quad core

GTX 570

8gb ram

120gb SSD

Worked like crap but after I deleted my settings folder in users/local it works a lot better

What do you know... the problem IS with ATI. I tried out AA on my lunch break with my Nvidia card and it seemed to work fine. Graphics got noticably smoother and my fps didn't drop by much. I feel sorry for the ATI people :(

ATI really seems to be messing up the pooch left and right these days. Poor drivers on most new games that come out.

Intel Core i7 2600K

8GB PC10600

AMD Radeon 6950 2GB

Catalyst 12.1 Preview (Official)

Playing with everything maxed on 1280*1024 normally, though now with AA and Shadows fully off as I force 4x SSAA from the CCC.

Like many others I get no, or negligible, visual difference between off/low/high in-game AA. The interesting thing is that it worked perfectly well on the test server, though I wee using Catalyst 11.12 at the time.

Anyway, at the moment I'm forcing 4x SSAA through the CCC and the game is finally sufficiently free of jagged edges.

On the other hand I've noticed a lot of other issues, texture flashing, lag, objects glitching between visible and invisible after the patch. This without/before forcing any graphical settings as well. Worst part was being dumped, along with two other players, on the ground from the Jawa Baloon on Tatooine just a short distance from the target while the baloon rest back to the starting position before we could make it back there.

On the upside I haven't seen any of the green 'light-walls' on Tatooine after the patch. Not that I've gone looking for them. Perhaps I should.

As far as graphical settings in general goes I feel it's imperative that the settings are expanded to meaningful values. For example, 2x, 4x, 8x for AA - ideally with choices regarding transparency AA as well as MSAA and SSAA - and 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x for AF.

This is a PC game and a MMO to boot, this stuff is pretty central to these kind of games - and gamers!

There is a simple solution to this Anti Aliasing 'problem'.

The current AA Implementation just enables the old fashioned Multi-Sampling Anti aliasing which is getting kinda old. There are far better AA options which are both faster, don't need seperate transparency anti aliasing methods which will even slow the game down further, and they are less memory intensive as well.

Take a look at FXAA which can be enabled with one of the latest nvidia beta drivers, or even better SMAA which can be injected if you read my thread about it; Even CSAA is a better alternative which doesn't even need Nvidia beta drivers but can be enabled with Nvidia Inspector.

Most likely swtor will not add these special Anti aliasing methods in the game within the upcoming year, or even years, while other new games all begin to implement these better anti aliasing methods.

So for people that don't have uber high end rigs this is most probably your only decent solution to retain awesome anti aliasing with the smallest performance penalty.

Just leave the in-game anti aliasing since its old and slow anyway, most likely even more buggy.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1591772#post1591772

Enjoy, I dont answer any questions, if you don't know how to do any of this you'd better not hassle with it.

Edited by Marctraider

Wait, so....the players *****ed and *****ed about how th egame has no AA feature, and so BioWare decided that they should put it in as soon as possible (because from what I've seen on the "We want this" threads over the past month, AA has been in basically every one of them).

And now that BioWare did a rush job to put it in, the players are surprised that it's not perfect?

Seriously? The only people to blame for the poor implimentation of things in the game are the players who wanted it the day before yesterday and caused the Devs to rush it.

No I'm not actually "wanting" it. I'm "paying" for it, you know anti-alaising, a very basic feature found in almost every newer PC game in the last 3 years?

So I have a pretty dated build. my graphics card is a Nvidia GForce 9800 GTX+ (512meg)

I also have a dual core AMD 6400+ (3.2 GHZ)

For me the visuals have been really great, and now that AA is an option I decided to see what it would do to my system when I turned in on. Below are my current graphic settings in the game:

Rez: 1680 x 1050 (monitor is 22" widescreen)

Conversation Depth of Field (ON)

Texture Quality (High)

Shader Complexity (Low)

Anti Aliasing (High)

Character Level of Detail (High)

Texture Anisotropy (Medium)

Shadow Quality (Low)

With this configuration I am getting very playable frame rates in almost all areas. I would of course love to run everything at max, but to me the game looks awesome.

Here is an image showing my trooper with AA off and AA on High. definitely an improvement on my end:

http://derksenweb.com/swtor_aa_example.html