I hate all the Consular Companions

meancraig

I have found Tharan and Qyzen annoying in conversations. I haven't used Zenith that much, but he seems to another pain if you are going to play a light sided "proper" Jedi. I've stuck with using Qyzen because I am healer specced and need him in most situations. So I have to cope with one guy who hates not killing defeat opponents, one who hates jedi mysticism, and one who hates giving people a second chance, that pretty much covers every lightside conversation option the game throws up.

I've been playing a Trooper alt as well and the first 3 companions are so easy to gain affection with. Anytime I am on the ship talking to Garza you can easily get 20-30 points with all of them with a single conversation option, just act like a good soldier and they love you. You also have a much better selection of options for companions much earlier in the game.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a big fan of any of the JC Companions. Neither one of them really seem to fit my Shadow. I rotate between using Tharan and Nadia. Tharan is good for heals in challenging PvE encounters, but not great. However, gearing him up is a pain in the azz. The Holiday stun/interrupt is nice though. I actually would prefer just to have Holiday as a healer. lol

Nadia is pretty good for just straight DPS. She shines against trash mobs and in OPvP showdowns against other companions. She is also very easy to gear up because I just give her my Shadow's old stuff.

So I do a rotation of Tharan and Nadia, mainly for practical purposes. Neither really floats my boat much. Nadia would have been perfect as a Healing Sage, but oh well.

The other companions are just good for running missions.

I only have Qyzen and Tharan so far, and am of two minds about both. Certainly one annoyance is that companion recruitment feels very slow.

As others have said, Qyzen is still too "monstrous" in attitude to make a good companion for a Jedi, IMO. I do like him more than I expect I would, but every now and then he'll drop a nasty bombshell, and that's beside various -1 penalties for proper Jedi behavior. I agree that he'd work better if Master Yuon's friendship (which he clearly values, including her kindness) and his experiences on Tython would have made him less slaughter-happy. I want to like him and trust him, but it's not easy.

Plus, his model is just crappy, easily one of the worst in the game that I've seen so far. It looks like a very cheap plastic toy, not a living being. And you can't even customize him.

Tharan ... I like his voice and his "geekiness", but why the hell is he travelling with a Jedi when each mention of the Force gives him a minor fit? News flash, buddy: the Force is bloody well what my character is all about! You'd think he would have figured that out, him being a "genius" and having worked with Jedi before, and stayed away if it bugs him so much. Also, I can't figure out what makes him approve or disapprove of my choices. Sometimes he'll get grumpy if I offer to help people at my own risk, sometimes he loves it.

And then there's Holiday. Ugh. She could've been interesting in various ways, but making her a bubblegum-pink, vapid, fawning cheerleader ruins that from the get-go. And the way Tharan uses her for CC pisses me off every time.

Holiday makes me really uncomfortable. I realize they were probably playing to target demographic, but I hate how most females in this game seem to be designed as compliant, adolescent fantasy moe spank fodder. It's gross.

This. How about a more mature female companion instead of the semi-adolescents? How about a more "monstrous" alien instead of only cutesy humans and cutesy humans-in-funny-suits? How about a woman who isn't "available" to the hetero guys?

More diversity please, and more equality in numbers of male and female companions. Bioware limiting themselves exclusively to young, cutesy, f*ckable girls is a shame. It's like they're thinking okay, we have created all the real companions (who "just happen" to be all-male), now let's make the hero's token trophy girlfriend.

This. How about a more mature female companion instead of the semi-adolescents? How about a more "monstrous" alien instead of only cutesy humans and cutesy humans-in-funny-suits? How about a woman who isn't "available" to the hetero guys?

More diversity please, and more equality in numbers of male and female companions. Bioware limiting themselves exclusively to young, cutesy, f*ckable girls is a shame. It's like they're thinking okay, we have created all the real companions (who "just happen" to be all-male), now let's make the hero's token trophy girlfriend.

Exactly. I really felt that Nadia and Holiday were not exactly examples of healthy independent women or quite frankly, your average 21st century adult female. I suppose that wouldn't be a big deal IF there WAS an opposing dynamic. Why not have Holiday and then an independent (not angry), just competent female character? And the same goes with the gender stereotypes for the male companions. Why are they either angry (Zenith), needy (Iresso), or animalistic (Qyzen)? It is completely acceptable to the SWTOR audience to have 3-D companions who are adults.

I never expected so much agreement, and from the sounds of it, many of you dislike our companions more than I do. I am really hopeful that whenever the expansion comes out, our next companion will have more adult characteristics and a different romanceable option. These guys just don't cut it.

I play a balance tree shadow and I really have to agree with the op. They all pretty much suck. I can't stand Theran. he seems to have a penchant for healing me only when I'm out of combat (and yes he's in medic mode). The trooper can't tank worth beans, Zenith can't kill fast enough to make up for the lack of tanking, so that leaves me with Qyzen and Nadia. I run with one of those unless I have reason to think I'll actually get healed by Theran (hope springs eternal). Oh and yes, all the story lines are fairly anemic.

I don't know, in my opinion if you can't find anything good about a single one of our 5 companions you're just hard to please. The only companion that annoys the hell out of me is CN-2N because he natters at me every time I pass him aboard ship. I swear, if he mentions that I look 'thick' one more time, I'm gonna go all Laura Roslin on him and blow him out the nearest airlock.

And Zenith isn't all angry he's just not touchy feely. At times he reminds me of Riddick from the Pitch Black universe, occasionally he reminds me of Spock, because when you click on him sometimes, he says, "Fascinating......but pointless. Let's go." he's actually got a very dry sense of humor. I snorted Coke Zero at one point on Voss when

that nautolin scientist aide was rambling nonstop about the voices in the forest and Zenith said he could come up with a gag in less than 5 minutes...

Tharan was mildly amusing, but I didn't group wtih him much. I'm sure I'd get tired of him repeatedly saying he's a pacifist. If you're a light side type, Iresso is definitely the way to go, I've yet to make a single decision that ws light side/merciful to the Sith/empire that he wasn't all right with.

Nadia is one of those chars tons of people love because of her DPS but she reminds me of a borderline psycho Leliana. Who's almost annoyingly eager to please. I drag her out to give gifts to and that's bout it.

I actaully do like Qyzen, except for the uh... certain hunts you go on that I find profoundly displeasing. Im' sure most of you know which one i'm referring to...

You do realize that only one of the six JC companions are female, and that single female joins the crew last. It's already a sausage fest on the ship. Please don't add more dudes to our companion list. lol

Exactly. I really felt that Nadia and Holiday were not exactly examples of healthy independent women or quite frankly, your average 21st century adult female. I suppose that wouldn't be a big deal IF there WAS an opposing dynamic. Why not have Holiday and then an independent (not angry), just competent female character? And the same goes with the gender stereotypes for the male companions. Why are they either angry (Zenith), needy (Iresso), or animalistic (Qyzen)? It is completely acceptable to the SWTOR audience to have 3-D companions who are adults.

I never expected so much agreement, and from the sounds of it, many of you dislike our companions more than I do. I am really hopeful that whenever the expansion comes out, our next companion will have more adult characteristics and a different romanceable option. These guys just don't cut it.

Yup. Totally in agreement with this stuff. The JC's companions are pretty disappointing, and there's a real problem in the lack of variety in the female companions overall, and how common the vapid young 20's/teen female pushover is. Yuck. So much yuck. BioWare definitely took a step backward in trying to appeal to the larger gaming audience with this title. Pretty crap move.

I agree about Nadia, but people are seriously underestimating Holiday and also misunderstanding her relationship with Tharan. She's in charge of that show, folks, and keeps him on a tight leash. He's all talk and no hat.

If you actually try to romance Tharan, it goes nowhere -- Holiday shuts him down. She would do so with any of his other pathetic attempts, no doubt. He's actually rather stuck and I almost feel sorry for the guy.

You do realize that only one of the six JC companions are female, and that single female joins the crew last. It's already a sausage fest on the ship. Please don't add more dudes to our companion list. lol

You didn't read the comment.

They weren't saying add more guys, what they were saying was add more girls but don't have the new girls being added turn out to be more jailbait like every other female companion.

So a female Wookie would would be an acceptible new companion for this poster.

And I have to agree.

Edited by Ellisande

Tharan is a jerk.

I like the rest of the companions, except for how bloodthirsty Qyzen is -- though it fits with his backstory. Bear in mind that Trandoshans don't have as high a value on life as most races and they do not see an honorable death in a hunt as a tragedy.

Nadia is one of the better love interests in the game. This doesn't come out when the PC is female, I know, but over the course of her storyline you can watch her grow from a scared, overwhelmed girl into an affable, confident, loving mate.

They weren't saying add more guys, what they were saying was add more girls but don't have the new girls being added turn out to be more jailbait like every other female companion.

There is one female companion. What "every other" are you referring to?

And referring to Nadia as jailbait is sub-par. She is very much a mature young woman that has had to endure the death of her father and the diplomatic tribulations of her home world people. Just because she is somewhat young and isn't on the bus like most women in our society, doesn't make her jailbait. lol

Plus she dresses up real good...regal and classy. I definitely won't be throwing her off the ship.

Basically, between Holliday and Nadia you are describing my ideal woman. Wait... wut?

Any RL female who is offended by Theran is probably Amish. He is such a dirt bag, it's hilarious.

Edited by Jatne

I don't play with her specifically because of the things she says when she needs heals. Including a pseudo-erotic, 'It hurts!'

Eroticism is often subjective. Nadia's cries sound anguished, to me. It sounds weird to me to hear that described as 'pseudo-erotic'.

Don't get me wrong, whatever you do in your spare time is fine, but... guh.

Edited by smartalectwo

I've only just gotten Zenith. I have to say that so far I can't stand every companion I've gotten up to that point. I'm hoping that I like Nadia for a companion, but since I'm healing spec'd, I'm not sure how useful she'll be. I wish we could respec (Including Advanced Class) our companions. If I could make Nadia a tank, I'd probably be happy.

My two requests for future changes to companions would be a respec option and maybe some generic (Non class specific) companions that we could meet in the game and add to our crew.

I don't think you guys are giving the companions enough credit.

Qyzen: Currently, Qyzen is wearing a highly coordinated outfit called "include all the primary colors". He looks kind of like something my five year old nephew would draw with crayons. I don't know what he's saying most of the time because I'm too drawn to the rainbow that is his armor to read the subtitles. From what I have read, I'm apparently awesome and can take down the most fearsome creatures as Herald. I do like how I keep accumulating sweet titles like Herald, Barsenthor (I should probably be more confident in the spelling of my titles), and Black Bisector.

Tharan: Even though I'm a healing Sage, I decided to roll with Tharan for a while because he has the same beard as me. And nothing says awesome like that beard. Sadly, that was where the similarity ended. Tharan keeps talking about being a pacifist while shooting people; I make sure to take out everything that moves to get that bonus objective.

Holiday: You know how Qyzen looks like the drawing of a five year old boy? Well, if you asked a five year old girl to color something, you'd probably get the all-pink Holiday. I can't really say much more, because I stopped using Tharan before he got the Holiday stun. It's pretty hard to level when you just stand there healing each other.

Zenith: So far I've only met him in cutscenes, but I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to give him a gun. Basically, the interaction went like this: "Don't shoot that guy! I'm trying to talk to him. Besides, he's not part of the bonus objective!"

Nadia: Also cutscenes only, but I've determined that her dad, while kinda fat, is less crazy than the other ambassadors.

C2-N2: If I knew Bantha ears were so important to crafting I would have collected some on Tatooine.

If you haven't figured it out yet, this post is a joke. A lengthy discussion of Qyzen's color coordinated armor options would not be appreciated.

There is one female companion. What "every other" are you referring to?

The female companions overall. And yes, the fact that there is usually only one for each class is pathetic. The fact that they're all young, human-pretty and (except for the three who aren't the sole female companion in their class-category) "available" to hetero guys is even more pathetic. It doesn't make them bad characters individually but it is repetitive, irritating and lazy writing. What we want is more diversity and overall parity of male and female companions.

I wish we could respec (Including Advanced Class) our companions. If I could make Nadia a tank, I'd probably be happy.

I'd like that. They should all have dual roles at least; having more than one healer per class would be particularly good because it makes the sole healer too much a must-have.

Edited by Erian

I happen to love Tharan

I originally saw the art work and "basic stats" of what he was, and was like, oh great boring

The addition of Holiday is by far one of the best "unexpected" components there is.

I'm specd as a Sage ranged dps, and tharan completes me.

For conversation points, hes a bit of a drag, but thats why we have companion gifts.

For fighting, he seems to me as having the most useful 2ndary ability by far.

Holiday stuns really help you control battle, with sage stun, and lift. it becomes very systematic to take out each target one at a time, while you and tharan stun everyone else

I do wish, like Qyzen, you had more on planet quests involving companion affection.

remember when it comes to combat, you can't just use whoever you feel like, each companion was built for a specific role depending on how you spec'd to support you.

Anyway, to sum up, I found the consular companions to be 2-dimensional charicatures at best, and completely misogynistic fan-boi fantasies at worst. Thankfully, now that I'm at level 50, I won't need to use any of them very often.

I think you've fallen prey to a phenomenon which has been dubbed "fanservice" on TVTropes. Basically, most of the target populace for SWTOR is male 16-24 years, which makes the various character types you mentioned appealing. You would need a game targeted to an older / more contemplative audience in order to have different archetypes (see eg. the new Battlestar Galactica and the character of Starbuck).

That said, I agree that it would be nice to have at least one character be of a more complex personality, but I guess it's too much to expect of a casual video game.

Qyzen: As a healer I love his beefy tanky-ness. His personality suits my character as I play a neutral sage who seeks to accomplish the best results, which often means eliminating enemy forces.

Tharan: Never used him. I'm a healer, I don't need another. His personality seems refreshing, but as a female I can understand why that would put you and others off if you've recently suffered an injury to your funny bone.

Zenith: DPS is okay... But I like to have Qyzen out so I can do the DPS myself, especially when I'm trying out new hotbar setups for PvP. As for Zenith's personality... Boring Imo, but to be honest I never really used him.

Iresso: First off I didn't even know this guy was going to join my crew until the last second on Hoth "Oh yeah! So it'd be awesome to travel with a jedi!" (Inviting himself along? Rude.) Anyway, I never tried him out because I just never really acknowledged him, but hearing that he's a ranged tank I may just have to give him a try since using the same companion for 47 levels can get boring.

Nadia: I'm currently figuring out how I can work her in as my companion. I'm looking up what I can do to make her beefy enough to replace Qyzen. Her whole "It hurts!" thing is kind of annoying... It certainly caught me off-guard at first... But having my own padawan is too ****** to pass up. Her personality seems pretty legit too since she's supportive.

It also works well because my toon is kind of based off Lelouch from Code Geass (Anime) and I want to work in Nadia as the Kallen to my Lelouch (For anyone who has seen the anime).

The fact that they're all young, human-pretty and (except for the three who aren't the sole female companion in their class-category) "available" to hetero guys is even more pathetic.
What we want is more diversity and overall parity of male and female companions.

right! -

Qyzen's hunter & aoe tank attitude, sexy bloodthirst and that he mostly turns a blind eye to my "leave that one alive" light alignment choices.. all that and more made me go for a high affection rating with him right from the start: "what you see is what you get with a Trando!" (..arms and legs bitten off in case you're considered prey.. so lovable!)

Am not complaining, its going well so far, I've even met his father ;-) ... but I'm hoping for so much more - for dialogue options to progress beyond a "Herald-Companion" relation.. as I badly want Qyzen to introduce me to his two-egged twin-sister for grown-up business... marriage and such!! ;-)

*sighs*and signed, a lonely mirialan female sage, looking for flirts with female Trandoshans, or at least a sassy Saurin sista :-S

I can feel for OP.

Can't stand Aligator and Doc Perv.

Iresso is bland but kewl though and I played with him tanking from the moment I got him (i play Seer 31/8/2).

Now at 50 I mostly play with Nadia cause she is almost in full champ gear (lulz at RNG abomination). On the other hand Nadia is the most irritating companion by far:

She reminds me of relationship Obi-Wan & Anakin had. If there was a plot twist taking her to the dark side she'd probably become my favorite companion, but atm she is a bratty, spoiled child not deserving to even be considered a padawan.

Nadia was my favourite, she was my main motive for leveling and with getting her so late on in the game, I cleared a lot of content very eagerly to get my very own padawan.

I'm not going to lie... hearing "Yes Master" to my commands makes me feel like a boss. And I agree, the "It.. Hurts" did sound a bit erotic, but I have a dirty mind ;). It made me LOL at first but playing as a healer, she hardly said it at all.

The great thing about her is she can use all my old gear, she is currently fitted with a lot of champion PvP gear and she rocks! So not only is she my favourite companion for her story/relationship but also because gearing her up is very easy.

She is going to have a big fanbase with the male gaming population I think. She is everything a man wants.. obediant, loyal, cute, protective and has a kind/loving personality. She is a bit broken and vulnerable by her fathers death and we step in off the rebound to make her feel better lol.

That's my 2 pence anyway.

uhm ... let go easy with the over generalization shall we? I think it's just to provide different flavors, and that means there will be some that you like, and some that you don't.

I have a 50 Knight and a 50 trooper, and you probably like their female comps better. Kira is a wisecrack and bastion of sarcasm, but she's also independent and strong. She does fumming over you if you romance her, but only once it's already commited and if I remember correctly very near the end of the class story.

Elara is a dignified woman who insist of taking care of her own problem and stand on her two feets even when you offer help. I guess she's your ideal 21st century women and will stroke your ego as much as Nadia/Holiday offended you. :p

I just got Tharasan and frankly, I think he's just like Doc of the knight. They are both supposed to be the smuggler class so their attitude makes sense. (What's even better is Doc is the only romance option for a female knight haha). And I hope you will never roll a smuggler given your attitude, women fight for your affection in that class (if you're a male, maybe female too but I'm not sure). I once tag a long a smug to help him with a class quest and literally spilled my drink all over the screen. But he's supposed to be an underworld kingpin, so it makes sense.

I'm big on the anime front, and Nadia sound like a moe plob, which I kinda look forward to it, I enjoyed Kira a lot while Elara is kinda too much of a stuck up to me. So there is a dish for everyone, let to say a restaurant suck because you just don't like one particular dish shall we?:)

Edited by mightysword