I hate all the Consular Companions

meancraig

I agree. I feel like the consular got the short end of the stick in a alot of cases. The storyline was lackluster, and especially bad since I went dark side, not to mention the companions mostly sucked.

I used Qyzen the most because he was a great tank to my heals and there wasn't another melee until Nadia. I also liked that he didn't speak english so I didn't have to hear someone saying some stupid catch phrase or crying out for heals.

I also wished that Zenith was the love interest and by the end of his affection gain it seemed like he was growing rather fond of me but nothing romantic was truly produced.

I absolutely hated having Iresso as a companion and as the love interest. I really can't say more about it. Nothing appealing about him AT ALL.

I was indifferent to the other characters.

But really, I sat in on many scenes in the jedi knight campaign and they're fighting the emperor, getting brain-washed, and doing all kinds of awesome stuff. Then I look at my storyline and I'm like "ok I'm cleansing jedi masters of a disease... oh wait i'm evil so I'm actually killing them....yay..." Disappoint.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same way as you, OP, particularly about Zenith.

I was kind of hoping the relationship with Qyzen could grow into love of a sort. While he didn't always like my light side choices, he did like my deep appreciation for his culture. If nothing else I believe we have this sort of platonic friendship - I watch his back, he watches mine. We don't always agree with each other but I like his personality and dialogue more than any other companion (apart from Zenith).

To be totally honest, I enjoyed all of our companions except Qyzen.

As a balance specced Sage I got along great with Theran thanks to the hilarious amount of CC we bring to a fight, and the addition of Holiday made him one of the most unique companions I've encountered. Not to mention it's funny as **** watching Holiday work her magic on mobs.

Theran, Zenith and I get along pretty well since they usually end up agreeing with my storyline decisions, and they both really compliment the whole morally ambiguous "grey Jedi" attitude that my consular usually ends up taking. (Barely clearing Light 2 at level 46)

Felix is pretty bro, and my only 2 complaints about Nadia is that she's acquired so late in the game, and the slave girl outfit looks odd on her because her bodies skin tone doesn't match her face.

Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that my Bounty Hunter had no decent companions at all aside from Mako. Seriously, she's a great character and a well done romance option, but as a Powertech your stuck with her for 50 levels nonstop.

At least with my Sage I can switch between them all and still do well.

Edited by ScramblesTD

As a light-side male Seer I like Qyzen best by far. Yes, I don't gain that many points with him as with Nadia but at least, he has character, he is useful, and he is a good buddy. He usually does a good job keeping aggro off me and appreciates my healing.

Tharan prefers to do his own thing and complains a lot, Zenith is on a crusade, Iresso doesn't have a personality at all, Nadia is overdoing her naive Padawan thing, I feel dirty getting married to her with the sole purpose of improving her crafting.

Edited by Perj

Pretty: √

Obedient: √

Eager to Please: √

Caring: √

Vulnerable: √

Lightsaber: √

I'm not seeing the problem here.

This highlights part the problem. The men get their perfect woman and we get Theran Cedrax.

They should have just copied the companions from Mass Effect.

Which ME?

ME 1 had: Wrex (<3), Tali (<3) and Liara

ME 2 had: Miranda, Legion (<3), Grunt (<3), Samara, Mordin (<3 <3), Tali (<3), Garrus and Kasumi (<3)

I hate Kaiden and Jacob.

I am on the fence about Ashley and Jack because Ashley performs well but I don't like her as a character while I like Jack as a character but find her to be absolutely useless on the highest difficulty setting which is hilarious because in her cutscene she blows through 3 heavy robots in two seconds flat.

Edited by Ellisande

Actually with what i've read about and guildies have said about the consular companions (mine is only 17 so I only have Qyzen) I think they have a bit more diversity than the Guardian companions. By lvl 20 my Jk G had over 2k of affection with T7 and about 1k with Kira, if anything making interesting choices with those two is non-existent.

I've not gotten to Qyzen's more questionable story aspects but at the same time i'm not concerned about actually upsetting him. He's chosen to follow me as the Herald of the Scorekeeper, not the other way round and if he doesn't like the things I chose then i'm not going to lose sleep. Now I realise that means in the long run I maybe "gimping" my total crafting potential since if I don't have a huge affection with him he won't be getting a substantial crew skill timer reduction. But it's my story and so they are my choices and as a result of that I will have to live with the decisions I make not those dictated to me in order to max out my toon.

As for his actual personality he's probably one of the mildest Trandoshan i've ever "met", read about, seen in any SW films/cartoons/books etc. Most of them are bountyhunting mercenary scumbags, Qyzen actually seems to have a degree of honour. But as a Trandoshan he will never want to be friends with a wookie, the opposite is also true but Wookies are much less overtly blood thirsty.

Not a huge fan of the Consular companions either. Not that I have as many issues with them as the OP, just that most don't have any "wow" factor to them. The most interesting to me are Qyzen (which seems a waste of a first companion because he has some of the shallowest story yet we hear about it over and over) and Nadia (which seems to have been made some nondescript "alien" species for no good reason, would have much rather seen some at least passingly familair SW species used).

And I have a little gripe with Iresso using one of the smaller body builds, but that is just because I always go with #3 male for my avatar. I have a tough time logically letting any little wimpy characters tank for me, I feel bad for them. He should have been buffer (#3). But then again I feel the same way about Kaliyo for the IA (she should have been #3 as well). In fact, I think that letting us change the body build of our companions would do great things for their diversity. Would love to see a fat Theran, would make him more of a joke than anything else.

I found that the only character i could use through 90% of the game was Qyzen. I leveled up as a healer from day 1, and he was the only viable choice so i know absolutly nothing about Theran, zenith or iresso, as ive not even picked em for even 1 mission.

This is a shame to me. i would've liked to been able to use them, but theran is a healer which is what i am, so he was of no use, zenith is WAY to squishy n couldn't hold agro, and iresso by then was to weak and no comparison to Qyzen.

Ive decided to kit out Nadia in Defence, accuracy gear (shadow tank items) and leave the dps'ing to me, JUST so i can have a change from qyzen, but its hard going. Im willing to put up with it though as i find Nadia very interesting, she is my Padwan, a dynamic i like ;)

They should have just copied the companions from Mass Effect.

"Jedi."

"Zenith."

Anyhoo! It sort of made sense to me that the Consular companions are a load of rejects with mundane but noticeable personality problems, as being able to deal with people in need of help is one of the things a wise Jedi can and should do. Some of them are even driven by classic deadly sins - Zenith's is wrath, Tharan's is pride, Qyzen's is sloth, and you could make a case for Nadia's being lust.

Edited by smartalectwo

I read up on companions before choosing my classes, and chose Consular in spite of theirs. xD Mine is still low level but I am not impressed.

Qyzen: looks like a bad guy from a cheesy low-budget 60's sci-fi show, and his vocals are an annoyance to my ears. Nor am I fond of his personality. I can't stand him so much that I decided to level as DPS so I can ditch him ASAP for . . .

Tharan: erg. Good thing I rolled a male JC, I think this guy would turn any female character I made to darkside choices, and not of the lustful variety. :p I suspect he will be annoying anyway, but at least he's better than a big green eyesore on my screen for 90% of my playtime.

I'm not excited about Zenith and Iresso, they look dull, but I can't wait for Nadia. This is coming from the "yay, she and my lightside JC can be best pals!" perspective, though.

And you want strong female companions? Try a Smuggler too then. ;) I play one (Sawbones) and the ladies on my crew are a cunning, worldly sharpshooter and a powerfully built Mandalorian.

Of course, everyone has their own opinions though, so I thought this thread was fun to look through. ^^

Edited by Gwena

Nadia Grell:

Playability - pretty good for dps, but she's fragile.

Personality - I don't play with her specifically because of the things she says when she needs heals. Including a pseudo-erotic, 'It hurts!' I can't imagine which animae-loving fanboi had her say that in that tone of voice, but I absolutely understand why the male players want to play her. On the one hand she is supposed to be tough...she kills people, etc., and on the other, she is completely subservient to you and only wants to please you.

Please let me know your opinions, especially if you disagree. I would like to know if you are seeing something that I am not.

Thank you.

Just wanted to say that while I found Nadia to be a nice person, these emotes when she gets hurt do suck a lot. I feel like a bad person for bringing her into danger and she is my padawan... they are supposed to go on missions!

And, yeah, she is completely subservient and an utter power trip for male players. I am really not sure what the writers were thinking when they created her. :-/ I really like Kira over on the Jedi Knight side, but Nadia is just too much of a wet blanket to be really interesting.

I actually brought up the issue of the Consulars companions being pretty bad a few weeks ago.

Like the way Qeyzon and Iresso play as tanks for my healer, although, it is very dull just managing their hitpoints constantly and throwing the odd bit of damage out now and then (hardly makes you feel heroic) and gaining affection with qeyzon while remaining lightside is like pulling teeth.

Never use Theran as a healer, plus i find him purile and adolescant.

Hardly use The Twilek at all as he just annoys me.

Leads me to Nadia....

I've said this before on another post but she's almost utterly useless to a healer. She can't Tank, She can't hold aggro, every major damage ability she has breaks cc's. The only way i've found to use her is to use forcequake repeatedly in every pull while shielded while praying for knockdowns and that she can dps aoe stuff to death with you as quickly as possible. This style of play is even more dull and even less surefire than being a wandering HP battery and every time you meet an elite you have to switch to a different companion anyway.

As to her personality.... There is an awful lot of fear and anger in that young lady, she is dangerously close to falling to the darkside and there's nothing you can do about it as in combat her script is locked.

Now, you may say, use another companion but here's the point.

I'm a jedi. Having a Padawan is supposed to be an honour, the ultimate expression of ones dedication to and connection to the force.

No consular, (irrespective of AC or skill tree) should have to not use their only Padawan that they have waited 40+ levels for.

I have mixed feelings about our companions, they are all sort of growing on me but none of them I like a whole lot.

Qyzen was great but still felt that after chapter 1 ended he should have parted ways despite who he thinks I am....

Tharen... lol Iunno he is the one I like the most so far, but it might be because he provides a very interesting relationship with the consular, (btw I'm male with a male character so I can understand tho why the ladies hate him, but from the male side of things he just seems desperate... lol)

Zenith just freaks me out, and I don't understand why he had to travel with me...and not stay where he came from...

Irresso... he is cool just not well integrated into our story, it's like here have a trooper tank companion who has a cool voice and some witty lines.

Nadia... starting to not like her at all, she keeps throwing her self at me its so very annoying, I was hoping we would get a much more mature love interest then our student.... I'd rather have Gaden-Ko be my student or companion...

And, yeah, she is completely subservient and an utter power trip for male players. I am really not sure what the writers were thinking when they created her. :-/

I really hope they were thinking "Haha, she's an utter power trip for male players! Those poor fools won't have the heart to resist her. Good job failing to follow the Jedi Code, suckers! Wait til you see what consequences we've got in mind in the expansion!"

I really hope they were thinking "Haha, she's an utter power trip for male players! Those poor fools won't have the heart to resist her. Good job failing to follow the Jedi Code, suckers! Wait til you see what consequences we've got in mind in the expansion!"

I highly doubt that this will happen. If the writers dropped the ball for the storyline in the main game, I don't think they will pick it up for an expansion. If there were some serious consequences for romancing your companion as a Jedi, the time to introduce it would have been now.

I highly doubt that this will happen. If the writers dropped the ball for the storyline in the main game, I don't think they will pick it up for an expansion. If there were some serious consequences for romancing your companion as a Jedi, the time to introduce it would have been now.

Why? They've got to save themselves some material to use later.

My opinion on the companions:

Currently, I only have Qyzen, Theran, and C2 (and I'm almost 37th level).

I have issues with not getting my last companions until I'm almost 40th level or higher. Then, it's suddenly all 3 are thrown at me whether I need them now or not!

But, seeing as I've had conversations/interactions with Zenith and Nadia already (though they aren't my companions), I can give some of my opinions on these companions.

Qyzen: I don't have issues with Qyzen. I understand his culture is significantly different from my own. I don't like the problems with customizing him. I don't like the issues with his affection being negatively affected every time I say something that is remotely "light side". He knew I was a Jedi when he met me! He should be neutral about the light side stuff, you'd think. As a full healer spec, Qyzen is one of my best choices for a running buddy because he's a tank. I guess the Gorn has kinda grown on me. I see him as my socially inept friend who often says the wrong things because he doesn't know any better.

Theran: I hate Theran's voice and look. I customized his face to look different, so that helps. I'm with others who think he's kinda creepy. I'm not "his Jedi" and I don't want him hitting on me. I deliberately pick choices that won't lead to his interest, but he STILL persists. He's a creeper.

But, I do love his line, "No one expects the Scientist!" (only because I'm a Scientist). I can't stand his stupid pacifist line, though.

Holiday (Not an official companion): Holiday doesn't bother me that much. Sure, she's stereotypical, but she's also a hologram that someone deliberately made that way. At least she's not completely freaking naked or in some stupid slave bikini! And she's actually USEFUL.

Zenith: Wow..do I love his voice! I'm not into the twi'lek thing, but so far..he's the only male companion I could see romancing with. Even if he were an option, I wouldn't..I'm actually playing a full light-side Jedi, so I'll stick with the original Jedi code of non-attachment and remain celibate. Besides, after turning in the two padawans on Tython who were in love..I don't want to feel like a hypocrite.

Iresso: haven't met him or interacted with him at all, so I can't judge.

Nadia: She seems sweet. I can't stand the stupid haircut and face makeup/tattooing. I'll be changing her appearance, but I don't mind her personality (so far).