I hate all the Consular Companions

meancraig

I like my lizard. Zenith's ok but he can't tank well so he takes too much damage. Theran is a sleeze and I dislike him but Holiday is useful. C2 needs to be airlocked. Iresso I've only just picked up but he seems tediously mainstream.

Still, I have a scoundrel and she has a wookiee and Corso, so I'm happy ;)

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want the big robot the Troopers get. I'm always jealous when I see them at the fleet. Or Bowdaar, though the wookie voice would probably get really annoying after a while too. All of the alien wakka wakka gets grating and repetitive after a while.

- Scott

Yah, I have big robot envy too. Also, I want the jawa and the wookie, they look super cool.

Since a lot of people seem to be disclosing their gender and age in this thread - I am a 38 year old male, and have a level 23 Balance Sage.

So far I have 0 complaints with either combat companion I have aquired. I have been making light based decisions the whole way through thus far. I enjoy having a blood thirsty companion like my lizard - it is a constant reminder of my class, and role within the game. As a Jedi, I am above the need for revenge and death and destruction. While it may not always please my companion - it is what separates me from him, and what makes me noble and great.

Theren I just acquired last night. Combat wise, when pairing with another player, he is awesome. As a sage, people constantly expect me to heal them in combat. Prior to this companion - I would oblige, because the goal is to succeed. But on Tatooine last night, I partnered with a melee Jedi in a HEROIC +2 area, and I never had to heal him once. I threw him an absorb shield, and dpsed away. He complimented me on my healing and I had to confess that my companion did 95% of the work.

As far as Theren's demeanor - I am fine with it. Again, I am gracious and humble as a Jedi Consular - self sacraficing. He is an arrogant scientist, who without me would a dead arrogant scientist. The story and lore of the Jedi rings true for me again with this companion - proving that I am one of the gifted great few to be called to the Jedi Order - that I can find compassion and understanding - diplomatic solutions in the face of the gravest of dangers. His self serving sexual needs and attitude vs my chosen life of sacrafice without love - once again prove my greatness and embolden the decision the Jedi Console made to make me a Jedi Master.

Pretty geeky am I - when it comes to the lore and story line of Star Wars. But - if sex, revenge, destruction, wealth, power is on your mind while progressing through the game, MIND YOUR FEELINGS, YOUR THOUGHTS BETRAY YOU! You are slipping down the path to the Dark Side, and may not be worthy to call yourself a Jedi!

Just got that... lizard... thing.. companion. And thought - well, I wouldn't have to have him for long, would I? His voice/appearance is very annoying and tempting me to do something disagreeable with Jedi code.

So I read up on all the other Consular companions, and looks like I'll be dealing with personalities I wouldn't like. May be it's time to roll a Bounty Hunter/Sith Warrior? :rolleyes:

Just got that... lizard... thing.. companion. And thought - well, I wouldn't have to have him for long, would I? His voice/appearance is very annoying and tempting me to do something disagreeable with Jedi code.

So I read up on all the other Consular companions, and looks like I'll be dealing with personalities I wouldn't like. May be it's time to roll a Bounty Hunter/Sith Warrior? :rolleyes:

And that's just it for me. It is why I think BioWare has done a good job with Jedi Companions. Not everyone has it in their personality, to put up with the character defects that infest an average humanoid.

I - as a noble, forgiving, compassionate, wise Jedi Master, can rise above those defects and keep the peace within the galaxy.

As for complaining about Holiday... The whole point of that character is that she's comic relief. No doubt you didn't see the point of the character; she's a play on the stereotype of nerdy males - the computerised companion to a technology-obsessed man; she's meant to be an analogy to nerds who enjoy playing through romances in RPGs, except Tharan is the player. It's a caricature, once again the character is intentionally scripted to be that cringing and that stereotypical; she is the mockery of the stereotype of a lonely male geek made into an actual character for comic relief, especially in a game that will be played by so many male geeks.

Upon reading this, it suddenly dawned on me that Qyzen Fess's life is all about getting xp. The religion of the Scorekeeper has Qyzen come across like a hardcore MMO player on occasion. He's depressed because he suffered permadeath and is now level 1 again.

Edited by smartalectwo

Well in the vein of things: 28 Male, 50 Sage (Seer).

Qyzen - I actually like him. I understand his Scorekeeper mentality, and aside from his standing in crap, he's not so bad. I did nearly all of my leveling with him. Ze Trandoshan is my friend :).

Theran - I don't like him. He's arrogant and I find that insanely off-putting. The only thing I like about Theran is Holiday. I like Holiday's character (because she's pleasant) and I like the ability. I only used Theran when I needed to have aggro (because Qyzen would stand in crap).

Zenith - Is too withdrawn. And I don't really like him much either. Never really used him.

Lt. Iresso - Nice guy. However I have no use for him so *Shrugs* he crafts for me.

Ship's Droid - I swear if I hear "Bantha's Ear" or "Shimmersilk Purse" one more time I'll turn his metallic faceplate into a Shimmersilk Purse!

Nadia - I like her. She's agreeable and although she acts like she's fairly immature she isn't too much of an issue. She stands in stuff like Qyzen though. I find some of her random voice emotes slightly irritating. Whenever she gave me the hurt emote I was usually saying to myself "Well if you didn't stand in crap it wouldn't be so hard to heal you." That's cause anything I'm healing is almost always about 75% if I can help it.

So yeah. I like Qyzen and Nadia. Iresso and Zenith are Meh. Theran is eh. The droid can die in a fire.

I loved having Tharan around but I couldnt use him since I rolled a healing sage (pretty much useless to have Tharan around). I loved Nadia but you have to wait so long to get her that it just seemed really crammed and confined. She is decent in battle if you want a heavy hitting DPS.

The game is set, like LoTRO, in chapters. This is just chapter I-III. Why would they put their major plot twists in the first game? It would make no sense at all, financially or from a story perspective.

You don't build a story around "that next chapter which you will see in a few years". You build it around the medium you are releasing right now.

That doesn't mean that conflict about the romance will definitely not happen in an expansion, but for the proper dramatic conflict, it should have been a major theme now. In the main game, around which they will build expansions later on, if it is still profitable to do so.

You don't build a story around "that next chapter which you will see in a few years". You build it around the medium you are releasing right now.

Build up the relationship first before knocking it down, I say. To use a Star Wars analogy, the Anakin/Padme romance is foreshadowed in Ep. 1, begins in Ep.2, and ends dramatically at the end of Ep. 3. Here, we've only reached the end of the first or second 'film'. With the personal focus on our character that these stories have, that kind of 'slow burn' approach to things like the romance would work fine, I think.

To use another BioWare example, the Mass Effect series - a romance starts in the first game, goes through a rocky patch in the second and the consequences of what happen are said to finally play out in the third.

I loved having Tharan around but I couldnt use him since I rolled a healing sage (pretty much useless to have Tharan around). I loved Nadia but you have to wait so long to get her that it just seemed really crammed and confined. She is decent in battle if you want a heavy hitting DPS.

Im healing sage too and used Tharan permanently till I got Iresso.

There were only two situations on Quesh where I needed a tank, but killing groups was much easier with Tharan (me ccing, him sending Holiday, some of us always had a free moment to heal the other one if needed) and he has no annoying AOE like Qyzens EMP.

I like all my companions and am quite happy with Iresso as tank AND as LI.

I guess a male character should simply laugh dirty and smoke a cigarette

when telling about his family was killed and he grew up during war,

otherwise someone somewhere will call him a "whiner" or "emo". :rolleyes:

Edited by Arbaleste

Yeah...

Have any other consulars had an issue where there wasn't really an option to tell Tharan no?

The guy invites himself to join my crew, is a creeper to begin with, but then wants to have a chat with me on my ship. Figuring, hey, he just got here this can't be so bad -- I go talk to him. What he basically says is, "I like your *****. Wanna do it?" Now, this is expected of Tharan, so I wasn't too off-put. However when I realized my options were:

1. #$%^ yes!
  2. Sure.
  3. Maybe later.

I was more than a little miffed. Under no circumstance would my consular have ever even considered sleeping with Tharan. Where is the, "No. Not ever!" option? There really, really should be one. I do not appreciate having to say yes, or elude to yes at a later time.

Iresso as a love interest is just odd. You don't get him until late in the game and then, the very first conversation he has with you in the privacy of your ship... he hits on you shamelessly. It seems obviously forced and thus awkward. To make it worse, if you deny his advances because you just met the guy, he will never flirt with you ever again. Ever.

So if you tell him to keep it in his pants because you barely know him, your only true romance option becomes unromanceable permanently. Despite his character flaws, I would have liked to at least romance him at some point, for the story if nothing else. But no, for not being open like a hallway, it'll never happen now.

It also seems strange to me that the career military man primarily plays the role of damsel in distress. ***?

Yeah...

Have any other consulars had an issue where there wasn't really an option to tell Tharan no?

The guy invites himself to join my crew, is a creeper to begin with, but then wants to have a chat with me on my ship. Figuring, hey, he just got here this can't be so bad -- I go talk to him. What he basically says is, "I like your *****. Wanna do it?" Now, this is expected of Tharan, so I wasn't too off-put. However when I realized my options were:

1. #$%^ yes!
  2. Sure.
  3. Maybe later.

I was more than a little miffed. Under no circumstance would my consular have ever even considered sleeping with Tharan. Where is the, "No. Not ever!" option? There really, really should be one. I do not appreciate having to say yes, or elude to yes at a later time.

Iresso as a love interest is just odd. You don't get him until late in the game and then, the very first conversation he has with you in the privacy of your ship... he hits on you shamelessly. It seems obviously forced and thus awkward. To make it worse, if you deny his advances because you just met the guy, he will never flirt with you ever again. Ever.

So if you tell him to keep it in his pants because you barely know him, your only true romance option becomes unromanceable permanently. Despite his character flaws, I would have liked to at least romance him at some point, for the story if nothing else. But no, for not being open like a hallway, it'll never happen now.

It also seems strange to me that the career military man primarily plays the role of damsel in distress. ***?

Yah, that's pretty much why I didn't romance him either. He wasn't worth giving up my light side V for. I don't know who these people are that are actually attracted to damsel in distress, but I don't find them interesting at all, in a female OR a male.

I must be a weirdo, but I like my whole crew.

Qyzen - A near perfect initial companion. Yes, he's a sociopath. But that's his culture. He fights hard, has no stupid catchphrases in battle, and thinks you're his God's Jesus. What's not to like? :)

Tharan - I hate that we have a companion who apparently hates the fact that I'm a Jedi, is a coward, and is a perv in love with a light construct. Then he start healing, and Holiday starts mezzing and I get over it! :p

Zenith - Ranged DPS supreme. He is silent killer. Too bad my character is ranged DPS too or he would get more play.

Lt. Iresso - He's the all American guy. Tall, dark and decent looking at least. I had no problem with him being the female Consular love interest. It makes sense. The above three all have too many mental issues/baggage. Iresso was a POW. He's respectful, he tries to protect you. :o

Nadia Grell - Your apprentice is a force prodigy like you are. She's loyal, adores you, and wrecks fools Darth Maul style. :cool:

Hell, I have a hard time picking an alt because I don't like other classes companions as much.

Qyzen is my buddy! I find that his culture is interesting although I do lose a few points with my decisions I just make them up with gifts. At level and being in good gear, he definitely does well. I don't seem to have trouble with and AoE's from him so I'm not sure what is up with that.

Theran and Holiday are my comic relief. I think she is a riot. These are the only two I have, so far.

Not sure who said this, but I think they're right; but I have a feeling the Consular companions are all living examples of what to avoid as a Jedi. Qyzen is glory-seeking and casual killing; Tharan is hedonism and overconfidence; Zenith is lack of empathy and dehumanising one's enemies; Felix is obsession; and Nadia is attachment.

It's almost as if it's intentional that you're surrounded by characters who challenge your commitment to the Jedi Code. I think the Inquisitor has the same deal.

Edited by smartalectwo

Not sure who said this, but I think they're right; but I have a feeling the Consular companions are all living examples of what to avoid as a Jedi. Qyzen is glory-seeking and casual killing; Tharan is hedonism and overconfidence; Zenith is lack of empathy and dehumanising one's enemies; Felix is obsession; and Nadia is attachment.

It's almost as if it's intentional that you're surrounded by characters who challenge your commitment to the Jedi Code. I think the Inquisitor has the same deal.

Good point on how all the JC companions don't really fit in very well with the overall concept of the JC, at least as a Light JC.

I've only gotten my first companion on my SI but the first one is Khem Val. Another tank, but he fits in quite nicely with the SI story if you play Dark side. He basically just wants to kill/eat stuff and that's A-OK with my character.

Qyzen is my buddy! I find that his culture is interesting although I do lose a few points with my decisions I just make them up with gifts. At level and being in good gear, he definitely does well. I don't seem to have trouble with and AoE's from him so I'm not sure what is up with that.

Theran and Holiday are my comic relief. I think she is a riot. These are the only two I have, so far.

Yeah they're the only two I've got so far and I feel pretty much the same about them. Qyzen's interesting because he's from a brutal culture but seems to have his own individuality, albeit expressed through his religion (note that he disapproves of the way his fellow Trandoshians have a reputation for brutality). I found it quite moving when he spoke about how he made friends with Yuon Par. He's "the beast waking up", sort of like King Kong, the first glimmerings of rationality waking up in someone born to brutality, and he's as much attracted by beauty and kindness shown him, as he's driven by his own harsh demands on himself.

Tharan and Holiday - again, I agree, I find them to be great comic relief, both of them. I went through my lvl 32 experience with them, and Tharan's comments felt very "alive" at the time, sort of a salutary reminder of a rational point of view, in the midst of a mystical epiphany.

Good point on how all the JC companions don't really fit in very well with the overall concept of the JC, at least as a Light JC.

I guess they DO sort of fit, in a way. Unlike the Knight, who has an adventure story, the Consular is all about being a Jedi in the wider world. So it makes sense that you interact with the wider world and see how 'real life' conflicts with your Jedi beliefs. The companions could be thought of as an extension of that.

The Inquisitor sort of has a similar deal in that his or her companions represent pitfalls of the Dark Side. Khem Val represents unthinking brutality, for example.

I just got past 9k affect with Tharan, and i'll say that those (mainly females, as being male i didn't have him hitting on me) who dislike him might have a better opinion of him after that dialogue (though of course i'm not sure if there's a difference for females).

I have to say, while Theran is definitely a creepy dude, in love with his computer AI, his heals and Holiday's mezzes are quite awesome. He is all I really use.

With regards to Nadia...She's your Padawan?!? Who else here thinks that is just ethically messed up... The whole game I play a wise Light Side Jedi Consular. Then all the sudden you want me to flirt with my Padawan? LOL Yea, the romance options for this Shadow just doesn't make sense.

I have to say, while Theran is definitely a creepy dude, in love with his computer AI, his heals and Holiday's mezzes are quite awesome. He is all I really use.

With regards to Nadia...She's your Padawan?!? Who else here thinks that is just ethically messed up... The whole game I play a wise Light Side Jedi Consular. Then all the sudden you want me to flirt with my Padawan? LOL Yea, the romance options for this Shadow just doesn't make sense.

Well, they're not MAKING you (in a manner of speaking). I do hate that she comes in so late in the game.

And as was mentioned before, she is such a fanboy fantasy, but I think most people are ok with that.

I feel awkward about playing with her while she yells "IT HURTS" in that fashion...makes my neighbors wonder what I'm really doing, I think.

Also, C2N2 can go straight to hell! Did Bioware assume we'd only enter the ship about 5 times? Really? He's such a sad 3PO clone, and his dialogue is so repetitive. His dialogue annoys me more than Qyzen (whom I also hate because aside from being a good teammate, all I hear him say is gghhrhghghgrhghhhghghhghg)

• 2 weeks later...
Y'know... I'm not particularly fond of most of these companions so far. Qyzon hates it whenever I'm not murdering the local wildlife and mounting their heads on my ship's walls, Tharan whines every time I act like a jedi, and don't even get me started on trigger-happy Zennith. The only ones that look like they don't get cranky when I do what a jedi is supposed to do are the last two companions. Both of which I haven't gotten yet.