Bad form in Alderaan cantina

SweetOldBob

If the person who attacked you was playing an evil character (like a Sith), it's not completely out of character for them to kill you when you're not expecting it.

Sorry, but that's how PvP is sometimes.

The justifications people come up with. :D

Playing a Sith can justify anything in game then, from exploiting down. :eek:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This afternoon I was winding down in the cantina in House Organa's area on Anderaan -- sending my crew off on tasks before I logged off -- when I was slaughtered by a level 50 troll.

That is so asinine! It's bad enough -- really, really bad -- for a level 50 player to gobble up level 30 opponents in single combat, but to hang out in a cantina?

I'm new to MMO. So far, I've really enjoyed the PvP stuff, but if this sort of thing happens much more, I'm switching to a PvE server.

Ah, SWG I miss you... I remember going to the Mos Eisley cantina just for the excellent PvP... WoW, oh WoW how I miss thee, I remember storming Stormwind and camping the AH so people couldn't use it....

This thread brought back lovely nastalga moments... Ty.

• 2 weeks later...
There is no honor or skill in killing an opponent much lower in level than you. Those that do it should see a lot of negative things happening to them. A lost of status, increase to prices at the various vendors, if they continue loss of galatic market priviliges. Don't give me that crap about "hey this is a pvp server", of course it is and there is nothing wrong with PVP but slaughter of lower levels? There is no skill in that and only lazy cowards do it.

Sanction those that kill lower levels.

holy christ, is this a real post?

Excuse me!

I am a Darth. I wander the Galaxy causing mayhem and destruction, sowing the seeds of deceit, and most importantly, murdering PC Republics.

I scooter along on my merry darth way and see some weak as bees Pub character scootering towards me. He doesn't give me no respect. He has the nerve. THE NERVE to scooter THROUGH ME. I am going to murder him.

I am going to murder him until he learns that when you see an incredibly powerful being with absolute mastery of the darkside and power over life and death, that you take your scooter for some off roading, you get out of my way, you leave your little area and hide and shake and pee your pants.

Low levels should run in fear of my wanton destruction until they have the power to challenge me.

Of course, this would be far less of a problem if there were no combat levels to unbalance these situations, but that's a whole other thread.

Which is why PvP in RPG's makes no sense. Whole point of an RPG is that your characters abilities determines most of your combat effectiveness, not the players. Which is why if you want player skill based PvP, you play something like Battlefield.

While I don't personally find it very fulfilling to kill someone 20 levels lower than me, on a PVP server it is well within their rights to do so.

Part of the allure of PVP servers is always having be on your toes. You let your guard down and someone caught you doing it.

Get a group together and head out and kill him. We did that on Tatooine one time when a 50 was jacking people far lower in level.

While I agree that if you are on a PvP server, you should expect this, one thing is puzzling me that nobody has touched on yet.

Even on contested planets, aren't faction cities "safe?" Or at least somewhat safe? Last time I saw, faction cities had multiple level 50 MOBs with like 20,000 HP each guarding it. What I want to know is how this guy got into the city in the first place :)

unfortunately the pvpers of MMOs sadly think that jumping underleveled undergeared people in areas that should be safe is pvp. its not, but they get kicks from it. Most pvpers should rename themselves, worthless skilless little ***** and have done with it as they generally run when faced with a fair fight, or even one that looks like they wont roflpwn it. Its not pvp, but sadly these people think it is.

This.

Anytime you kill another player 10+ levels below you, who has zero chance of winning for no reason, with no provocation, you are being a jerk. There are no exceptions to this. None.

I would love to PvP with people who have a sense of fair play, but too few understand what that means. It's a game, not a real war. You don't need a massive advantage before the game begins. It's like sitting down to a game of Risk, and insisting you won't play unless you get to start with 3 times as many armies as anyone else. If you need that advantage, you suck.

That is so asinine! It's bad enough -- really, really bad -- for a level 50 player to gobble up level 30 opponents in single combat, but to hang out in a cantina?

Where should he go considering that Ilum offers 7 fps combat full of fail? Don't blame the poor guy trying to create his own pvp content, blame BW.

I must admit, i believe the person he is talking about is me. I did this on teh Dragon Tail server, just yesterday. And yes, i understand the "ganking lower level" argument. however, ive found that some of the BEST and FUNNEST pvp fights, come from when the lil ones, cry for help. the big boys show up, and rowdy awseome amazing fun, ensues.

So, ya can call me a skill less little **** aaalll ya want. i dont really care, cuz them 50's that showed up afterwards, know better ;)

Yes, im sith, no im not an operative, im a marauder. and, im lvl 49, not 50. My buddy was 50 tho, and, after enough 50's came to get us, we obviously got pushed out, and repubs won.

yay to u for recapturing ur objective on alderaan :D

*edit*

Ive also done this in anchorhead, quesh, etc. any planet the repubs have a base, imma try n get into it. its a pvp server, live n learn.

Edited by Pullzar

I mean no disrespect to the OP, but you ARE on a PVP server, and anything goes on a PVP server.

When I originally started WoW, I was on a PVP server, and I had problems similar to what the OP had. I learned the hard way that I really wasn't a PVP player, as I simply enjoyed doing the quests, taking in the cool scenery and grouping for dungeons. It simply wasn't fun getting ganked while trying to finish a quest. On rare occasion, I was able to either get help from others to deal with the ganker, or was high enough level to actually be successful in defeating the ganker. One time, I had a blast with my level 33 Gnome Mage constantly polymorphing a level 40 Orc Warrior who chased me all the way thru Ashenvale trying to gank me - he finally got killed when he made the mistake of trying to follow me into an Alliance town and got swarmed by the guards. But for the most part, I prefer questing, getting into my character role, and enjoying the scenery. So, I eventually went on a PVE server, transferred over a couple of my favorite characters, and never looked back. On this game, I didn't even bother rolling on a PVP server. All my characters are on a PVE server.

I should add that there are some griefers on PVE servers who are using an unfair exploit to trick or force lower levels into getting flagged and then ganking them. I haven't experienced that so far. But there are a few threads on these forums about that problem. The developers have already responded, and said that such "trick flagging" by griefers is a violation of the harassment policy and can be reported as harassment. They also said they are working to fix it so that people can't be tricked or forced into being flagged on PVE servers.

Edited by Eldartank

2 years of playing EvE hardens the most carebear of players.Even then, anyone who isn't new to MMOs should know that red=dead on PvP servers.

If you are new, I best suggest you get use to it or reroll.I love PvP with consequences but Swtor offers none of that and honestly it is more of a PvE game anyways. There is no shame in rolling PVE , folks.

You might actually enjoy the game more. ;)

Edited by arare

I see nothing wrong with what happened to the OP.

He rolled on a PvP server in game that simulates the galactic war between two sides that has been going on forever (and we all know will continue for thousands of years after TOR) ....where both sides at one time or another have been guilty of all sorts of things including genocide, slaughtering of children, etc. Fair play, honor, etc really have no place in the Star Wars WAR.

OP grow up....if you can't take the heat of being in such an environment then should have rolled on a PvE server.

Meh. I'm a level 50 Sith Assassin. I'm not the kind of player that goes around camping low-level areas looking for people to gank, but if I happen to be on business of my own in such an area, and I see a Republic player, I'll probably kill him/her and then move on with my business. If it's just a one-shot kind of deal, I don't really see a problem with it. It only becomes griefing if A) a high-level player camps a lower-level one, killing him over and over again, or B) a high-level player camps a high-traffic low-level area with the intention of killing every quester who comes through there. Of course, like others have said, sometimes the latter can break out some seriously awesome PvP battles if the low-levels call for help.

TL;DR: If all he did was kill you once, without camping you or talking a bunch of trash, frankly, get over it. That's juts how life is on PvP servers. It's not like there's a serious penalty associated with death in this game anyway.

There is no honor or skill in killing an opponent much lower in level than you. Those that do it should see a lot of negative things happening to them. A lost of status, increase to prices at the various vendors, if they continue loss of galatic market priviliges. Don't give me that crap about "hey this is a pvp server", of course it is and there is nothing wrong with PVP but slaughter of lower levels? There is no skill in that and only lazy cowards do it.

Sanction those that kill lower levels.

Had we all agreed to those rules, then perhaps.

But that's not the reality.

The reality is that if you don't want to be killed don't have your pvp flag on. And that means play on a pve server.

Had we all agreed to those rules, then perhaps.

But that's not the reality.

The reality is that if you don't want to be killed don't have your pvp flag on. And that means play on a pve server.

In reality, we must always ask ourseleves if we SHOULD do something. Because you CAN isn't a good reason.

I must admit, i believe the person he is talking about is me. I did this on teh Dragon Tail server, just yesterday. And yes, i understand the "ganking lower level" argument. however, ive found that some of the BEST and FUNNEST pvp fights, come from when the lil ones, cry for help. the big boys show up, and rowdy awseome amazing fun, ensues.

So, ya can call me a skill less little **** aaalll ya want. i dont really care, cuz them 50's that showed up afterwards, know better ;)

Yes, im sith, no im not an operative, im a marauder. and, im lvl 49, not 50. My buddy was 50 tho, and, after enough 50's came to get us, we obviously got pushed out, and repubs won.

yay to u for recapturing ur objective on alderaan :D

*edit*

Ive also done this in anchorhead, quesh, etc. any planet the repubs have a base, imma try n get into it. its a pvp server, live n learn.

Might have been me if it was Wound in the Force server :). It's actually quite easy to get into the House Organa cantina and starport. Heck, I've even gotten into House Organa itself 3x already. Originally it was more for the "hey I wonder if I can do this" thrill, but afterwards it was, "Hey, let's get this galactic war started already."

After the third time, I organized a guild ops to occupy both the Cantina and Starport for an hour. The cantina proved the most fun, because there was actually an organized resistance against us.

So in the future, anyone on Wound in the Force be aware: After Tatooine, none of your main bases, starports, or cantinas are safe. If they can be occupied, they will be at some point.

Has nothing to do with ganking lower levels, but everything to do with getting the higher levels to defend you. If you die in a zone, rez at a safe area and do not venture out into a contested area, where you get flagged for PvP. Above all, look for level 50 guilds, notify them of what is happening. When our guild sees this happening, we respond. I usually hit Tattooine one or two nights a week for this alone.

We need to kick start the war ... and open world pvp.