People who ninja for their companions

xhaiquan

I must've moved to the wrong server (which I wouldn't have if the long queue times on MT didn't tick my friends off enough to move to this dead server in the first place).

Both on Imp and Rep side, I've dealt with Sith unapologetically rolling Need on BOP Sniper Rifles and other Agent Gear and in the past 24 hours I tried to be nice and explain to a Jedi Sentinel what gear they should be rolling Need on after they rolled Need on BOP pieces of medium armor with Cunning stats. I teamed with this person again today after being patient enough to go through the entire FP with them last night...and they rolled need against me on a BOP Smuggler-stat Blaster for his 1st droid companion because "they can use it".

You'd figure that I'd see more of this fail on an hour-wait queue server due to sheer volume but I didn't run into this once. Go figure. Could just be my luck.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a ninja if he can use it including the companion. Companions are part of the game so you might want to just get used to that fact. I know I won't hesitate even for a second to need on a item for my companions.

Think about what you're saying...

If it's good etiquette for someone to need if their companion can use it, then everyone can need on everything every time... because we all get 6 companions ranging almost every class type. One of our companions will always be able to wear anything that drops.

No, for team play, it's not ok to need for your companion when there's a player of that class that needs it more. If an agent item drops, if none of the agents click need, then it will be greed-rolled and whoever gets it won it fairly. Anyone will have a companion who can use it.

A companion is NOT an alt. Anyone with a lick of sense understands this.

Yeah they would understand that a companion enjoys lower status than an alt. Its even lower than pet status as the only reason you're using it is if you're soloing something or out of desperation due to lack of someone to group with.

Edited by Vlaxitov

Bioware should make loot selection as need,companion,greed in that order.Some people will always go for the selfish option,but that's life so might as well get used to it.But at least this would give companions a place in the loot rolling pecking order.

Only those who participated in the fight should have the right to roll for the item. Was his companion part of a group? No? Then no dice...he can't roll on it. If you are two-person grouping and both have companions out, then yes, I think you should be able to take things for the companion you have out fighting. And as always, when in doubt, ask before rolling. Heck, maybe someone should have set loot rules before the fight.

Only those who participated in the fight should have the right to roll for the item.

Mechanically speaking, the person who wins the roll for a companion IS someone who participated in the fight. They just intend to give the item to their companion.

This is why "need for companion" isn't mechanically a solution. People who absolutely "need" that item for whatever reason they need it for, will roll Need.

Edited by SnoggyMack

winning a roll when others roll need is not ninja'ing taking the loot without a roll is ninja'ing companions are part of your char makeup in this game and require gear..get used to it and drop the wow mindset because you lost he ninja'd

I bet 10 bucks on a dice roll, other guy wins....He takes his 10 bucks.

Do I have the right to determine or influence how he spends that 10 bucks?

Most likely If you are playing with friends or people you are familiar with/Guild, there can be compromise,If they need it up to you to say go ahead.Thats a different story.

If your in a PUG and expect people to say "Oh ok you need it for your charactor or companion in a bad way? go ahead.

then they sell it.

If you dont need it, you dont have to roll for it... but you should be able to regardless.If you want it for you or a companion and you win the roll, from that point on its no ones bussiness really.

So lets put that to use then. Your in a restaurant and you have just received your food. The waitress hands it over to you and you proceed to bury your face inches deep into the concoction - then, violently jerking your head back in forth, you effectively coat all members of the table in a thick drape of the said food you were eating.

But hey, you payed for it so you deserve to be able to do things like that. Besides, the only reason people didn't want you to throw food all over they're bodies was so they could enhance they're chances of having an enjoyable evening.

What a weak comparison.

If someone really needs something and you find that its really not going to improve anything for yourself, just let them have it, thats all you have to do, If they want it or need it for their companion, just pass on it.

People wanting armor for companions isnt a crime, its part of the game play, just as any strategy game where you need or want to strengthen your forces.

The point of companions is the versatility and fun of gearing them up just as you do your own AV.

I dont think needing or rolling for gear for your companion is breaking any rules.

In the end if someone needs it for themselves or companion and its something you want or need as bad then roll for it ,One of you will win, its just how poor a sport you want to be about it.

• 4 weeks later...

The problem with everones argument here is that you are playing within the system of the game. If you are allowed to roll greed OR need your not gonna get lets say, "banned" for doing something that ws intentionally in the game. So if a sith warrior rolls need for agent gear, no matter how mad you are at them, it's fair game.

Because of this, your only solution is to group with people who are a part of a guild with set rules and boundaries in order to stay in that guild. This way you don't have to worry about "ninjas." If you roll with a non guilded group he/she has no boundaries he/she can do anything they want. Play with people you trust if it's a problem. You can also blacklist the player on that server as a Ninja, just let people know who they are and it should make him think twice about proper grouping ethics.

One thing we do as groups is let folks know how the looting is gonna work and who has priorities and who has needs from the get go. This way if there is a conflict we can kick/boot people who are not cooperative. From that point we start the quest. Communication is everything, i've been in a ton of groups where people just don't talk/type at all. Talk to your people.

It's not a ninja if he can use it including the companion. Companions are part of the game so you might want to just get used to that fact. I know I won't hesitate even for a second to need on a item for my companions.

Its great that You can use companions in PvP and flashpoints/operations then.

Oh wait...

Hey SnoggyMack et al.

Need vs. greed isn't as simple in our game because of companions, as well as Orange Gear and mod extraction.

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for, and add a new button in between need and greed for players to choose if they intend the gear for these purposes - this will allow CC users to roll against each other without competing with the guy who wants to sell the gear for credits.

I don't have a timeline on this for you guys right now, though - certainly not in the next major patch. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed. In the meantime, I'll work on getting this feature in the works.

No comment.

then all gear needs to be bound to you as soon as you hit need, since if it is a bound on equip item, and he is the only one who can use it, he can roll need on it, and no one else gets a fair roll, and in that since he ninjas it from everyone else

this happened in wow, and they fixed it by by making all items bound to you if you rolled need, BW needs to do the same thing

On Tarris group of 16 level 32-37 take down ancient one world boss.

3 agents in group. A nice purple protype drops clearly meant for agents. All roll need.

A sith assasin also rolls need and wins, saying he needed it for his companion.

When this happens. I just stick these ninjas on ignore. then relay the msg to my guild to do the same. If everyone did this, these ninjas would get blacklisted and start to wonder why they cant get in groups.

If companions dont input on the fight at hand, people should not roll for companions in that situation.

Edited by DigitalPrime

I just refuse to play with random people. Keeps things very simple, and I never run into problems like this.

Get into a half-decent guild and only play with people who have a brain, preferably both hemispheres(or at least the left one).

If somebody cant get through solo quests without having top of the line gear for their companion you probably dont want them in your guild anyway.

Besides, companions dont contribute anything to flashpoints and operations themselves. We have clear rules, with need for mainspec, greed for offspec/companion, pass if you cant do anything with it.

Even if they implemented a LFG system someday I know I will never use it, because I dont even need the gear at this point, and I simply cant handle stupidity. It's worse than gaseous hydrogen cyanide.

Edited by Ellie_

"Originally Posted by DamionSchubert

Need vs. greed isn't as simple in our game because of companions, as well as Orange Gear and mod extraction.

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for, and add a new button in between need and greed for players to choose if they intend the gear for these purposes - this will allow CC users to roll against each other without competing with the guy who wants to sell the gear for credits.

I don't have a timeline on this for you guys right now, though - certainly not in the next major patch. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed. In the meantime, I'll work on getting this feature in the works."

*claps*

This really throws a monkey wrench into the argument that these ninja's kept throwing out about how Bioware intended everyone to need roll for companions, huh? :D

I love it.

This really throws a monkey wrench into the argument that these ninja's kept throwing out about how Bioware intended everyone to need roll for companions, huh? :D
Not really; it just shows that they've changed their stance on the issue based on player feedback. Edited by ferroz

I just refuse to play with random people. Keeps things very simple, and I never run into problems like this.
Eh, I play with random people; I very rarely run into anything like this. And when I do run into it, I don't get upset about it, because I don't have an assumption that I'm entitled to gear just because the numbers are favorable for the class I've picked.

Really, if you're getting upset by it, you need to deal with your entitlement issues.

I love it.

The only sad thing is that Bioware either didn't think this through enough before release, or thought the issue would never get as big as it did - things any MMO vet would have known immediately. But at least it's coming, even if a bit late, it is appreciated.

then all gear needs to be bound to you as soon as you hit need, since if it is a bound on equip item, and he is the only one who can use it, he can roll need on it, and no one else gets a fair roll, and in that since he ninjas it from everyone else

this happened in wow, and they fixed it by by making all items bound to you if you rolled need, BW needs to do the same thing

Yes, I think this is also a good idea.