[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Here's my solution. Buy an ATI card open catalyst control center and turn mipmap all the way up. Also you can easily force the AA. My 4800 series card is running far better than I expected.

I'm running AA 16x on my 42" HDTV at 110 FPS and the textures still look like ****. Metal still doesn't reflect light the way it should. "CHROME" armor doesnt look like chrome, but rather dull steel. Reflective visors look like black & green plastic.

AA doesn't make textures better, it just makes diagonal lines smoother.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Trailer for patch 1.1 im sure my game doesnt look like that when i am playing.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/rakghouls-and-raging-hutts-with-swtors-gabe-amatangelo/2#comments

lol, i hate to beat a dead horse. i bought a new High end PC to play this with all the bells and etc on. All i get is muddy graphics also.

I did too. SWTOR was suppose to be the next big smash with the best or at least many of the best tools and gameplay ideas that rocked from other MMOs. I bought a 800 dollar computer ($1000+ if I had not kept my old graphics card, however I ran out of money) because I felt the investment would be returned. Boy am I the biggest sucker currently living on this planet.

I only read the quote from SR, so I may have missed something, but it seems to me they could simply make a flag in one of their ini files that enables hi-res 24/7, but there is no way to change it from the game. That way only people that specifically know what they are trying to do can turn it on.

Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once.
Would you mind expanding a little more on this, please? My main concern is how my character is going to look once these improvements are made in 1.2. Should I expect the skin tones and lighting to look the same as he does in cut-scenes and character creation, or will the improvements be based on the current textures?

Thanks in advance.

I'm running AA 16x on my 42" HDTV at 110 FPS and the textures still look like ****. Metal still doesn't reflect light the way it should. "CHROME" armor doesnt look like chrome, but rather dull steel. Reflective visors look like black & green plastic.

AA doesn't make textures better, it just makes diagonal lines smoother.

Maybe I should have bolded the mipmap option.....

New Trailer for patch 1.1 im sure my game doesnt look like that when i am playing.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/rakghouls-and-raging-hutts-with-swtors-gabe-amatangelo/2#comments

lol, i hate to beat a dead horse. i bought a new High end PC to play this with all the bells and etc on. All i get is muddy graphics also.

What the hell? They are advertising the game with textures that are not currently in the game? Something tells me that all of those "in game" screenshots were taken during cut scenes. I feel misled.

This does not bode well.

Urgh. I am happy to hear they are looking in to it, I am even happy to wait and see what they produce in 1.2 when it is eventually on the live servers, but this is a joke. No need for them to rub salt in to the wound by continuing to depict the game in this completely untrue manner.

The picture of the two Jedi and the trooper in that article made me :eek: and I'll be disappointed if we're never able to play with that level of detail now that it's been advertised as such.

Yes, be sure to point out this thread to game sites that continue to print articles about this game featuring fake graphics.

Here's my solution. Buy an ATI card open catalyst control center and turn mipmap all the way up. Also you can easily force the AA. My 4800 series card is running far better than I expected.

Post SS from your Magical Computer that have your charicter plainly in view and not 10 feet away. Crop and place next to any image on the media section of this site. we all need a good laugh at a fanboy

There's a reason we have graphic option settings, if people find they are getting poor FPS, they drop settings lower untill they are happy with it.

removing options just because you think people's pc's can't handle it is just poor form.

With Cards like Ati's 7970 being just released and Nvidia's on the way, we shouldn't be limited unless we make the call ourselves upon seeing performance.

Horribly disappointing. This was the number one thing I was looking forward to. :mad:

I hope you mean with the latest patch right? Not like, with the game? I am all for making the game prettier, and i think the current situation is unacceptable to have at launch, but the number 1 thing i was looking forward to was story. If i just wanted a pretty game i would go back to aoc.

Wouldn't there be a way to show high resolution textures ONLY ON OUR OWN CHARACTER (and maybe companion), and show medium resolution for the rest? This would already be a big improvement in my mind.

Go find Stephen's last post on this issue on the dev tracker, it basically says that's exactly what they're trying to implement for patch 1.2.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not the least bit angry at this. I'm just disappointed and more than a little sad that we can't actual achieve the look that they sold me on :( I was really looking forward to seeing the game in all it's glory on my new PC.

From Bioware Creative Director for SWTOR, James Ohlen:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/12/interview-biowares-james-ohlen-on-swtor/

We then have a second update coming in March, and that’s going to be a much bigger update, another flashpoint – part two of Rise of the Rakghouls – and we’re going to have a whole new planet, with a brand new operation and warzone. We’re going to have the second part of the Legacy system, which is the real meat of it. We’re going to have guild banks, PVP ranking systems, and a lot of smaller additions and bug fixes. And we’re already working on the third update. The story’s already written out and being recorded for the fourth, fifth… and I can’t say how many updates we have, but we have a lot. Just to give you an idea of how far we’re planning ahead, we’ve already got voiceover being recorded for content you won’t see for a year or more. We’re really making sure we deliver new content. We also want to make sure that the Star Wars galaxy feels alive, so we’re working on an event system, which we’ll be giving more details about in the new future.

So basically we have to wait until March for any major changes to graphics?

Edited by Kick_

Wow this threads been maxed out and turncated like 5 or 6 times now eh?

Well I for one am glad they are going to up the look in some way shape or form but that doesn't excuse the fact I just want the hi-res stuff. Let me poke at it and max stuff out and tune it accordingly as opposed to BW just shutting the option out period...

I hope the 1.2 comes out soon!

Fixed mine. Armor detail sucks without it on and is much better with it on. Dunno why but it is.

http://i.imgur.com/4iwaV.png

To the right is high rez version. You notice glowing details on belt and string on leg armor? No matter how hard you squeze your hardware if game DOES NOT use high textures - you won't see that details.

And why should I switch from nvidia to ATI, even buy a new GPU, and then sit for an hour fixing all settings to see "best Bioware can deliver"?

StephenReid

Yesterday , 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Xreasonz

This was how they look during BETA up to the final weekends of testing.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3...lmorra__9_.jpg

It was stated in the beta forums which are now gone that they were removing high-res textures in order to cut down the amount of data the players needed to download for the final weekends of test. After a number of player voiced their concerns over the suddenly lower textures in the game they stated that the final game will look much better and not to worry.

That screenshot is from a cinematic in-game. As stated, cinematic scenes use high resolution textures because we have control over how many characters are rendered on-screen at once. This is how the game was always intended to look in cinematics. We did not 'remove' high resolution textures - they were always in the game for use in cinematics.

With that said, thank you for all of your responses. We understand everyone's desires around this issue, and although it's not going to be an overnight fix, as mentioned we're working on addressing this. Many of the suggestions you have made are similar to potential changes the development team is investigating.

I rounded up the development team once more and had another discussion, and wanted to update you with a better timeline and some more precise details on what we're doing right now.

The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.

Other potential changes are being discussed right now – as I said, many of which are similar to changes suggested by many of you. As usual, you’ll see these sorts of changes on our Public Test Server before they make it into the live game. Right now we cannot commit to a live date for the 1.2 Game Update, but it will be within Q1 2012.

Thank you Stephen! I think this response was more along the lines of what we were looking for.

I very much appreciate that you went even farther into gathering info on the matter!

It's good to see they are not completely tossing out the high textures for in-game.

I think the bare minimum of having at least our own character with high rez textures will make a lot happy until the development team gains more control to optimize the engine.

Thank again!

Edited by WarheartZero

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not the least bit angry at this. I'm just disappointed and more than a little sad that we can't actual achieve the look that they sold me on :( I was really looking forward to seeing the game in all it's glory on my new PC.

Nah, you're not alone. I'm right there with you.

I'm not angry, I'm not about to quit over this or anything because I enjoy the game, I'm just disappointed that we've been fed a lot of pretty screenshots over the years (and are continuing to be fed them as recently as today) when, in reality, the game doesn't look anywhere near as good.

I'm using a GTX 580, it's a shame to see it being wasted on textures like these. I hope the improvements 1.2 brings are noticeable ones.