[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I'll continue to follow up on this conversation and by the time my monthly subscription ends I'll decide if I want to stick with BioCrap.

After the sinking boat that was Dragon Age 2 I was extremely weary of SWTOR. As with many people here, after seeing the trailers, the promo screeenshots, etc, I thought I'd give EAware another chance.

Seriously starting to doubt this move of mine. Once a trust is broken, it's daunting to get it back.

You almost got me back in your fold BW, but this...? It needs to be addressed ASAP. This is more important than anything else. Put COMPETENT people on this issue but the dozen if you need to, but this supersede everything else. There has to be a working fix out the door yesterday.

Take a good note of this: People will desert you in drove if you don't cater to your clientele the proper way and in a timely fashion. You know how we, gamers, are, don't you?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm bummed about this, It isn't really hindering my enjoyment of the game. I will continue to consume content, and when they get around to bumping up the textures.. fine.

I'm happy enough with AA making it into the settings.

That's achieved with the current medium rez textures?

I don't see anything reflecting. Looks like plastic.

You don't see the light hitting and reflecting off his spaulders (shoulder armor)? You do not clearly see the light directly hitting the top of his helmet?

http://imgur.com/GooI4

for those who missed it.

Edited by Aisar

Bioware/EA are u insulting us?

Why do u say that HQ res cannot be used by us blablabla and then u say that hq res can be used only in the cinematic scenes,

when u are USING THE HQ TEXTURE in a non cinematic moment!!!!

The proof, taken directly from the promotional video: Rise of Rakghouls:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8827/hqtextures.png

Stephenreid

The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.

Other potential changes are being discussed right now – as I said, many of which are similar to changes suggested by many of you. As usual, you’ll see these sorts of changes on our Public Test Server before they make it into the live game. Right now we cannot commit to a live date for the 1.2 Game Update, but it will be within Q1 2012.

I think gives a better reason and future plans

Mate, it's already in game. hey won't make it more stable or anything - they'll just add an ingame switch to turn it on (what you can do through .ini with minimal probability of failure) after a month from release. Such an achievement really.

You don't see the light hitting and reflecting off his spaulders (shoulder armor)? You do not clearly see the light directly hitting the top of his helmet?

for those who missed it.

I must have missed your original point, because your chestpiece is obviously using lower rez textures, and im pretty sure thats what we were talking about.

Yes, I see light hitting a plastic-like material which absorbs light instead of reflecting it like metal would. If you're supposed to be wearing heavy armor made out of metal, this would reflect like Vader's armor would. Go up a couple posts and look at the screenshot from the trailer released, the trooper's visor is reflective. My trooper's visor doesn't reflect unless I'm in a cutscene right now.

I think the underlying reason for doing this makes sense. Although the end decision on how to best achieve maximum performance across the board was faltered.

What I don't understand is, with the current settings, the goal is to be able to have the game run smoothly even with many players on the screen. But that's not working for everyone. You've given us the option of running this game on low or even lower graphical settings, yet even with this you haven't achieved your initial performance goal.

Mate, it's already in game. hey won't make it more stable or anything - they'll just add an ingame switch to turn it on (what you can do through .ini with minimal probability of failure) after a month from release. Such an achievement really.

I know.. I have it turned on now, as well as a TON of other advanced engine options, and to be honest, my game looks almost as good as what BW shows in some of their stuff..

I'd just rather not modify the .ini files.

the reason why bioware are saying this isnt an overnight fix - which is totally is, just more than likely a .ini change, is because the hero engine is awful and cannot handle it. meaning they need loads of time to fix this pos engine they have used.

That's it! We are actually playing LEGO Star Wars The Old Republic!

Anyone, check retail game box. There must be small red logo to the left of "Star Wars".

The issue happens, because they use low resolution shadow maps and aggravated by not having any sort of smoothing of these shadows. If the light source is close enough, the shadows look fine, if the light source i.e. directional light is very far, you get this amazing issue. Since, they don't really have day and night cycle, I wonder why they didn't just pre-render shadows as a texture pass or bake it onto other textures (what Blizzard did, sorry for reference). Sure, some dynamic objects like wind mills or whatever they are (on Tatooine) would have problem casting dynamic shadows. But if they didn't cast shadows, nobody would notice that anyway.

To me, this is clearly deficiency of the game engine. And DX9 doesn't have too many options for rendering good shadows to begin with. After all it's 10 years old technology. DX11 API and Shader Model 3.0+ have much better support for light sources and shadows.

the reason why bioware are saying this isnt an overnight fix - which is totally is, just more than likely a .ini change, is because the hero engine is awful and cannot handle it. meaning they need loads of time to fix this pos engine they have used.

You just contradicted yourself there.

This is so embarassing. They already resets the thread and now they do it again by removing all the topic and all the views so that it dont looks so bad for their reputation. This thread had over 77 000 visitors and over 1400 posts !!!!!!!!!! Edited by Poofighter

I did not say I liked it or that it was acceptable by my standards. Complete opposite. He wanted to see a picture with reflective lighting. there it is.

Please go into a cutscene and take a screenshot. Post them side by side, if you still don't see the difference... then I don't know what to tell you.

Your armor's texture is not high rez, no matter the settings you enabled into Catalyst.

While I'm bummed about this, It isn't really hindering my enjoyment of the game. I will continue to consume content, and when they get around to bumping up the textures.. fine.

You mentioned AA setting, did I miss a post somewhere cuz the AA in the game as it is sucks.

Can anyone in th eknow shed some light on this for me? Seems NV CP override set to 32AA makes jack poodoo of a difference compared to 2x AA ...ugh

This is so ambarassing! They already resets the thread now they do it again by removing all the topic and all the views so that it dont looks so bad for their reputation. This thread had over 77 000 visitors and over 1400 posts !!!!!!!!!!

It's smart ,they just keep locking it until people run out of steam.

Nothing will change , it's by far more effective then posting more excuses.

It's a great way to keep costumers as well,really.