[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Sure, some dynamic objects like wind mills or whatever they are (on Tatooine) would have problem casting dynamic shadows. But if they didn't cast shadows, nobody would notice that anyway.

Actually i would, but it's minor issue. Unlike wind mill shadow I stare at my character 99% of gametime, and it hurts that med res artifact pve armor looks worse, than orange set i was leveling with.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mentioned AA setting, did I miss a post somewhere cuz the AA in the game as it is sucks.

Can anyone in th eknow shed some light on this for me? Seems NV CP override set to 32AA makes jack poodoo of a difference compared to 2x AA ...ugh

It's an .ini file change, nothing you do in nvidia control panel will work. However since it involves changing a file that BW might not want you to change all I will say here is that google is your friend.

Enabling AA makes a huge difference IMO, If I had to pick between AA and High Res Textures for a patch, I'd take AA any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

You mentioned AA setting, did I miss a post somewhere cuz the AA in the game as it is sucks.

Can anyone in th eknow shed some light on this for me? Seems NV CP override set to 32AA makes jack poodoo of a difference compared to 2x AA ...ugh

I can't speak for all Nvidia users but control panel forcing doesn't work for me at all on my GTX 580, I have to use the .ini tweak which works right up to 16x and beyond.

Catalyst Control Panel for ATI users reportedly works fine forcing AA though.

Enabling AA makes a huge difference IMO, If I had to pick between AA and High Res Textures for a patch, I'd take AA any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Since we can already force AA I think it's a false dichotomy.

Edited by PJEBarlow

It's an .ini file change, nothing you do in nvidia control panel will work. However since it involves changing a file that BW might not want you to change all I will say here is that google is your friend.

You can easily force AA without going into the .ini... I'll take high rez textures before AA any day.

Edit: Apparently you Nvidia people can't do it, but I sure can on my ATI. Works flawlessly

Edited by Xzenorath

You're hilarious, I'll take shots when I get home and show you what we're talking about. Apparently the dozens already posted aren't enough.

omg. trying to stay calm.

I NEVER once stated I either liked or supported the graphics in this game. In fact I unsubscribed on the 4th. The first time I posted that screenshot was for someone who was very misinformed about lighting or some such nonsense. That screenshot very clearly demonstrates what my original purpose of posting the screenshot was.

You can very clearly see the light hitting multiple places on the ground as well as on my helmet and on my shoulder armor. That is all it was about.

Not only do you see light hitting the ground but I count at least 3 distinct different colors of light hitting the ground. The game is NOT as bad as people say. Is it what it should be? Heck no.

Edited by Aisar

The new trailer is obviously using ultra mode. The lighting from those targeting droids looks freaking amazing. I want to play that game. I'm not right now. What gives?

I fully agree with you I want that game also.

Not a Tribes 2 game.

Please BW give us the option to run the game on full graphics.

It's smart ,they just keep locking it until people run out of steam.

Nothing will change , it's by far more effective then posting more excuses.

It's a great way to keep costumers as well,really.

Same strategy using during the Red Zone Crisis.

ps. I want my high-res back.

For those who missed out on beta, this was what we had.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/lawlatwow/7c5bafb1.png

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/lawlatwow/d6b9291a.png

I know Stephen was quick to dismiss one of the shots from a cut scene and its true it was pulled from the cut scene. The point was at the time textures were virtually no different from each other in game or in cut scene. This obviously was changed towards the end of beta when it was mentioned in the beta forums that high res was pulled to reduce the amount of downloads for the last bit of testers. I don't remember who said that and it could have been hearsay but thats where we're at. The game DID run fine for us beta testers when we had high res in either way. I don't know what changed.

You can easily force AA without going into the .ini... I'll take high rez textures before AA any day.

Edit: Apparently you Nvidia people can't do it, but I sure can on my ATI. Works flawlessly

Yup.. guessing it's a driver issue there... Maybe when nVidia gets around to another official release the advanced settings might work on TOR, until then, we gets .ini hacks.

And, I heard that with 1.1 they are taking away the .ini file and moving those settings into a binary file.. Is that true, or did I just catch wind of a bad rumor?

If I had to pick between AA enabling or high res textures I'd punch a person with such ideas right into his face. Good thing that BW don't give any options at all (pun intended).

omg. trying to stay calm.

I NEVER once stated I either liked or supported the graphics in this game. In fact I unsubscribed on the 4th. The first time I posted that screenshot was for someone who was very misinformed about lighting or some such nonsense. That screenshot very clearly demonstrates what my original purpose of posting the screenshot was.

You can very clearly see the light hitting multiple places on the ground as well as on my helmet and on my shoulder armor. That is all it was about.

Your screenshot shows light hitting medium rez plastic which absorbs the light and gives a white blob as proof that light hits it. It's not reflecting as it should using high rez. During cut scenes, my troopers CHROME legs reflect like crazy. My visor reflects. There's a chrome outline around the back of the helmet that also reflects the way it should.

The second I leave the cutscene, the pants are just grey non reflective, the visor is black matte, the outline around the back of the helmet is also grey and non reflective.

As previously stated and proved though dozens of screenshots, the textures are not high rez while outside of cutscenes, no matter the settings you enable, which in turn makes reflective materials like metal absorb light and show white blobs instead of reflecting properly.

Hell, look at the floor on your screenshot, this appears to be somewhat reflecting.

Are you saying that simply because no one actually does it? Or do you believe that this is not a big enough issue to make that kind of threat? Just curious, I don't especially care I just want to know where that comment came from.

Just an observation, neither positive or derogatory.

If I had to pick between AA enabling or high res textures I'd punch a person with such ideas right into his face. Good thing that BW don't give any options at all (pun intended).

Well, yeah, ideally I'd like the option to turn on whatever I want to see, and live with any performance issues that arise if my rig can't handle the load.

But currently that isn't the case... Who knows, maybe BW will change their stance on that, but I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy or Santa Clause anymore... Going off of what Mr. Reid said in his latest post, I doubt we'll see that level of graphics in this game for quite some time.

March?

Good grief, this is a disaster.

Why on earth use this engine when they have access to the best tech available?

And then they release another video with graphics impossible to use in this game? Pathetic.

Guys, don't just leave this here in this discussion. CCP only responded to fan problems when they got the media's attention.

We need to bring this issue outside of Bioware's controlled forums and alert everyone about this. Get the game blogs to re-post this issue. Make it known.

Disrespectful of YOU creators of Swtor for removing our post, our thoughts and discussion about this issue. Instead YOU only care about your publisaty! So it doesn't looks bad for YOU swtor.

Why didn't you lock the old one and created a new one!? Now no one will have the oppertunity to view the community thoughts. Over 1400 post was deleted!!!!

Swtor clearly doesn't care about their subscribers, only makes excusses and not giving out clear answers.

Edited by Poofighter

Your screenshot shows light hitting medium rez plastic which absorbs the light and gives a white blob as proof that light hits it. It's not reflecting as it should using high rez. During cut scenes, my troopers CHROME legs reflect like crazy. My visor reflects. There's a chrome outline around the back of the helmet that also reflects the way it should.

The second I leave the cutscene, the pants are just grey non reflective, the visor is black matte, the outline around the back of the helmet is also grey and non reflective.

As previously stated and proved though dozens of screenshots, the textures are not high rez while outside of cutscenes, no matter the settings you enable, which in turn makes reflective materials like metal absorb light and show white blobs instead of reflecting properly.

Hell, look at the floor on your screenshot, this appears to be somewhat reflecting.

What about this? http://imgur.com/7iwRo

Is that reflective or still just light hitting? I believe (not too sure actually) that those are cutscene textures.

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to show what I meant with high rez and reflective light. The current medium textures makes light just show white blobs around your gear, looks *********** terrible.

You are welcome mate, spread the truth !

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

Edited by Arkulin

What about this? http://imgur.com/7iwRo

Is that reflective or still just light hitting? I believe (not too sure actually) that those are cutscene textures.

Hard to tell, pretty sure they're still not high rez textures however because my visor doesn't reflect at the character loading screen on my trooper, however it does during cutscenes.

Look at this:

http://imgur.com/3JUxV

See the difference in metal shining and reflectiveness of light? It's horrid on medium rez...

This is just getting worse and worse.

Now, even after all of this has hit the fan. BioWare releases yet another a trailer which includes gameplay footage ... which uses the hi res textures for gameplay.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/rakghouls-and-raging-hutts-with-swtors-gabe-amatangelo/

This after BioWare tried to sell the "oh no those textures aren't meant to be used for gameplay its just for the cut scenes" nonsense.

They demonstrably recognize that their gameplay graphics are so bad, they dare not use them in material presented to prospective new players. They don't use them themselves - they are that bad. But tell us this level of quality (which they have deemed unacceptable for their own uses), is the intended level of quality for their product all along. It's all "as intended" and the expectation for something better (like that which they are willing to use in marketing) is just a big misunderstanding on our part.

This is infuriating.