Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

This game takes travelling back 7 years

Kahldor

there's no need for these "airlocks" you have to run through, just cut them out completely and have your ship area connect directly to the station or whatever you are on, with no loading screen between them, just have a green portal which phases it for each person. and allow speeders in spaceports and stations. fixed.

Those "airlocks" are meant to add to the immersion of the game and the story. It adds "reality" to the game. You may not like it, but Role Players do.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I love the game, but the amount of time it takes to get anywhere is just ridiculous.

Ridiculous. Really?

Ridiculous. Are you sure you're willing to go there?

Ridiculous is your post.

Short of having my QT on CD I can go from anywhere to anywhere under 5m.

PS: Says the 50 with all the datacron (-2 that are bugged, Ilum and Corelia)

Instant gratification MMO's are that way ->

You take two elevators to get to/from your ship. It makes it feel like you're actually in a spaceport.

Yeah, and you have fleet as a short cut (using fleet passes you can purchase, with one hour cooldowns), so I really don't see why this is such a big issue. Loading screens for moving into/out-of ship are quick (nothing like the planet loading screens). People are so impatient.

But in the instant gratification world we live in, those that complain make it sound like someone shot their pet hamster.

I love these posts

Lets see you get a fleet pass 1x/day

You can port anywhere on a planet 1x/30min

You have speeder ports for quicker travel then the speeder you get

I just dont get it

I can concede with the whole get off ship run through an airlock to get on a shuttle to run through an airlock, which I hate but I do think it is logical

Just another fast food mmoer

there's no need for these "airlocks" you have to run through, just cut them out completely and have your ship area connect directly to the station or whatever you are on, with no loading screen between them, just have a green portal which phases it for each person. and allow speeders in spaceports and stations. fixed.

There is.

Zones are map, which need their textures to be loaded in memory while "Other MMO" graphic are so lightweight that they load them as you move.

The more you know. The less you QQ.

• Having to run through 3 sreens to get back and forth to your ship is overkill. Yes it is immersive and believable, but there is a fine balance between that and functionally convenient.

It's only a matter of time before this disappears and transit between planets becomes a one-click deal.

It's cute, it gives a more authentic and immersive feel, but ultimately it's a completely unnecessary and annoying timesink -- especially for people on slower machines.

And it's exactly the kind of streamlining that other games have made in the past. In fact I was slightly surprised to see it still existed so late in beta, let alone into launch. Other recent games have tried similarly "immersive" travel elements before, and they've been stripped out within the first few months after complaints from the playerbase in favor of simpler, faster mechanics.

The current process to get from one planet to another:

Run to origin spaceport -> enter hangar (quick zone) -> run to ship -> enter ship -> cutscene -> (slow zone) -> run through ship -> access map and select destination -> run through ship -> exit ship -> cutscene -> (slow zone) -> run through hangar -> enter destination spaceport (quick zone)

That's 13 steps: user-driven interactions/movements, cutscenes, or full zone loads. (And I'm not even including the significant fact that you have to listen to that sycophantic *@#!ing droid every time you run past him on the ship.)

Streamlined, while retaining some integrity of travelling to the spaceport, the process only needs 4 steps:

Run to origin spaceport -> access map and select destination -> (slow zone) -> enter destination spaceport

I have no doubt most of those "authentic" elements will eventually disappear in the interest of convenience. Such things are the first to go when you're past launch and trying to reduce friction to retain customers.

Edited by overfloater

Not that I would condone this, or have ever done it :rolleyes:

BUT

If you happen to go into a pvp match...and uhm 'timeout' you are immediately ported to Republic Fleet, regardless of where you used to be.

Bug? yeah...useful? sometimes.

I know, I know - oh evil players leaving the team ...so don't do it.

Just saying.

p.s. Send me ingame credits each use.

And YES, I have reported this bug.

Those "airlocks" are meant to add to the immersion of the game and the story. It adds "reality" to the game. You may not like it, but Role Players do.

i do agree on that.some story parts even take place inside those places.but imo even me,who loves detail and such places,sometimes get bored of running through all those hallways and airlocks everytime i visit or leave a planet.it gets tedious after some time.

I don't think the problem is really that bad, unless you're a noob and can't figure out the game, I guess.

Every planet has a shuttle to fleet that gives you very fast access to fleet, and getting to said shuttle quick enough with quick travel and/or taxi service.

Emergency fleet pass is always there for ... emergencies, which you shouldn't have multiple times daily.

What would be reasonable, IMO, would be for legacy to give you some perks to help reduce travel time, like chopping the CD on fleet pass and/or similar stuff.

1) I don't want to input a random number every time I log in.

2) I don't want my account better protected.

3) What happens when I inevitably lose my security key?

4) why should I pay extra to provide basic functionality and a non-tedious gaming experience?

I do not come to the forums much. I'd rather be in game, but I am starting to agree with the people who say that there needs to be an easier way to get around and be around others. The constant loading screens when you are trying to travel is annoying and archaic.

• Many games used to pride themselves on seamless worlds. SWTOR spits in the face of a seamless world. By making you and your group mates take 3 forms of transportation to party up.

• Sharding makes the world feel more empty. Even more so since server populations have started to diminish. Having to "load screen" to join your group is ridiculous.

• Having to run through 3 sreens to get back and forth to your ship is overkill. Yes it is immersive and believable, but there is a fine balance between that and functionally convenient.

My suggestions would be to eliminate SOME of the load screen opportunities and eliminate sharding. This game has too much potential for it to die by way of an archaic travel system. It feels like the birthchild of Mass Effect and Kotor. Both great games. Both with tons of loading screens during travel.

Completely agree. Especially your point regarding the player ship, having to go through so many zones to get to your ship or to the fleet is absurd.

We could use more FP shuttles that transport you directly back to the fleet. Maybe 2 per planet - one stationed a couple outposts beyond the spaceport, and another shortly before the last questing site/outpost/camp of the planet prior to the bonus series.

It won't make you neglect travels, but it will cut down a lot of loading screens as you transition from spaceport to fleet or another planet.

Back in the early EQ days all we had was begging for SoW/port and our feet...god help you if you aggro cause some mobs ran faster and they all maintained aggro until you zone. Sense Heading, anyone?

Get a security token, apply it to account, and get the 1h CD fleet passes sold for 1k at the security key vendor. Problem solved. Yes, it costs you $5, but Bioware is probably making little to no profit on it, and your account is better protected.

I laughed so hard, I ruptured something.

It might be $5 for you, but it's 14 EUR here. Don't tell me a device like that comes with ($5 = ~3.90 EUR) 10.10 EUR of shipment. Besides, it's probably being shipped to you from either UK or France and not overseas from US.

I do not have to be forced to buy a product of 14 EUR and have to enter a code every time I want to log, just so I an get a Fleet Pass with a 1h CD, that is simply absurd.

On another note, the game feels too much lobby'd, chats go per planet/fleet and you can sometimes play for hours without either seeing someone walk passed you or chat in one of the numerous chat channels. And that for a server that used to come with a 15~30 minute queue.

Edited by XQlusiveD

I laughed so hard, I ruptured something.

It might be $5 for you, but it's 14 EUR here. Don't tell me a device like that comes with ($5 = ~3.90 EUR) 10.10 EUR of shipment. Besides, it's probably being shipped to you from either UK or France and not overseas from US.

I do not have to be forced to buy a product of 14 EUR and have to enter a code every time I want to log, just so I an get a Fleet Pass with a 1h CD, that is simply absurd.

Isn't it free if you dl the smart phone app?

I'd support a "Port To Ship" on a separate cooldown from Quick Travel/Fleet Pass. Maybe an hour?

I'd like to have the "launch ship" animation NOT trigger until I went to the nav console and left the world. Maybe I want to go back to my ship to check my locker or do something else, not go into orbit?

^^This.

We also seem to be exiting the ship long before it has arrived on the planet and landed. Some strange continuity going on there.

Get a security token, apply it to account, and get the 1h CD fleet passes sold for 1k at the security key vendor. Problem solved. Yes, it costs you $5, but Bioware is probably making little to no profit on it, and your account is better protected.

Wow, I never realised that. Saw it on the vendor but assumed it was the same as the one we had. Thanks for that, 1h CD will make a big difference.

I honestly haven't noticed this a whole lot. And for the record, I have a smartphone so my security key was free to set up.

Anyway, you guys are spoiled rotten. I guess noone remember's corpse running naked back to where you died. (ala EQ). You don't remember that it took WoW 7 years to implement better traveling and questing to the original level 50 content (Cata).

I agree, there should be a fast travel option back to your ship, with a cool down on it. Am I bummed there isn't one now? Not really. I actually would not have found as many of the quest lines and bonus series quests if I didn't have to travel back to my shuttle.

Isn't it free if you dl the smart phone app?

That might be the case, but not everyone has an uberduper, superawesome, state-of-the-art Smart Phone. I have a simple phone with which I can call and receive calls, it doesn't come with Android, IOS, Windows or whatever wonder phones run on these days.

Edited by XQlusiveD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.