Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

Deyjarl

Yeah, this is another aspect of the mechanic that's annoying but at least this is avoidable. Any time you buff or rez a flagged player, you get flagged too. Or if you group with a flagged player.

Thanks, I still can't figure out why someone had flagged themselves in what was essentially a starting area...but it happened. For me it wasn't "game-breaking," but had I been further along, I definately would have been PO'd.

You would think, though, that if it happened to me like that, that that wouldn't be an indication of "working as intended" wouldn't you? Maybe that's a silver-lining but I would like some sort of comment from the devs.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tested to see if companion AoEs get you flagged as well?

A guild mate and I were on Tatooine, going for one of the datacrons. I was playing my Consular, he was playing his Trooper. We went through an area that flagged us for PVP, and after we left that area we stopped to wait to be unflagged. His character was unflagged in five minutes, but for some reason mine was not. His character had been sitting on a speeder bike the whole time. While we continued to wait for my Consular to be unflagged, he had his Trooper get off the bike. His Trooper's companion appeared and immediately cast some sort of heal, and boom, he was flagged again.

Eventually, we were unflagged and continued on our merry way.

Players that want to open world PVP should be on a PVP server, no exception. PVE server is for Player v. Environment, not PVP. It is stupid to have a PVP flag on a PVP server.

No, players that are willing to subject themselves to being ganked while leveling should play on a PvP server. Players that don't want to be subjected to being ganked while leveling should play on PvE servers. Whether someone does or doesn't like world PvP doesn't determine they should or shouldn't be on a specific type of server. Not everyone wants world PvP dumped on their head all the time, some just want to world PvP some of the time, not all of the time. PvP servers force them to deal with world PvP all of the time.

This game needs to copy Rift, they have PVP OFF tickbox in the options screen for PVE servers, so no matter how many times I try nuke or send pet at opposite faction(If they are flagged and I am not), it won't attack.

Which is great during big invasions when there are 80+ people around noone gets flagged, only the stupid kids that turn on pvp on purpose.

This game needs to copy Rift, they have PVP OFF tickbox in the options screen for PVE servers, so no matter how many times I try nuke or send pet at opposite faction(If they are flagged and I am not), it won't attack.

Which is great during big invasions when there are 80+ people around noone gets flagged, only the stupid kids that turn on pvp on purpose.

That would be perfect. :)

Hello everyone!

We've removed a few posts from here and would like to say why. Please do know that the discussion topic here is regarding people playing on PvE servers who are getting flagged for PvP and do not wish to be. We ask everyone do their best to keep their replies on-topic, constructive and respectful of one another. Please do not continually create off-topic posts to derail the discussion.

We ask everyone review our Rules of Conduct before continuing. All posts should be made with the rules in mind and remember that even if you disagree with someone, please do not be rude or insulting to them. If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list. For posts that do not follow the rules, please do use the Flag feature to report the post to the Community Team.

Thank you!

Hello everyone!

We've removed a few posts from here and would like to say why. Please do know that the discussion topic here is regarding people playing on PvE servers who are getting flagged for PvP and do not wish to be. We ask everyone do their best to keep their replies on-topic, constructive and respectful of one another. Please do not continually create off-topic posts to derail the discussion.

We ask everyone review our Rules of Conduct before continuing. All posts should be made with the rules in mind and remember that even if you disagree with someone, please do not be rude or insulting to them. If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list. For posts that do not follow the rules, please do use the Flag feature to report the post to the Community Team.

Thank you!

Thank you!!

Edited by VarnieTsk

Yvin, thank you for the explanation of the removed posts. Even though one of my posts was removed, upon further reflection I agree that the thread is better off without it (especially as the post I was responding to was removed as well).

Back on topic, as we know that this thread is being watched, could we perhaps get some kind of official response? Specifically, what I would like to know is whether this involuntary PvP flagging by AOE is an intended feature of the game or an unintended bug?

Some communication would be really appreciated! :)

Yvin, thank you for the explanation of the removed posts. Even though one of my posts was removed, upon further reflection I agree that the thread is better off without it (especially as the post I was responding to was removed as well).

Back on topic, as we know that this thread is being watched, could we perhaps get some kind of official response? Specifically, what I would like to know is whether this involuntary PvP flagging by AOE is an intended feature of the game or an unintended bug?

Some communication would be really appreciated! :)

Ditto that.

Sounds pretty much perfect. As I keep saying, I don't know why anyone would be against it (and I haven't seen a single person respond to that question).

This is the way it works on pve servers. You used a Area of Effect attack and hit a pvp flagged enemy in the process. It wasn't the mob he attacked, no it was your attack hitting him. He tricked you, sure but in the end it is your fault. Simply should not have used a AOE.

The way it works on pve servers, in every MMO btw, is that You cannot become a pvp flagged person if you do not set yourself to it. However there are exceptions to that rule.

1) Entering a PvP area, were you become automatically flagged

2) Right clicking your avatar and setting the PvP flag on yourself.

3) Attacking an Enemy player that is PvP flagged.

You fall in catagory 3. Though luck.

You really are kind of slow on the uptake, There shouldnt be open world pvp areas on a pve server period. people Join pve servers to control where they wanna pvp, its called a que. Of course your prolly one of those baddies everyone talks about using the exploits. stop defending the dbags of pvp. this is also coming from a pvper from a pvp server. your making us all look bad ya nab.

Edited by Papa_Shadow

This has happend to me numerous times, usually i'll be somewhere in the open world fighting several mobs or gearing up for a big battle. As I am fighting the mobs and assassin will be there in hiding (invisible to me) and when I use an ae ability I become pvp flagged, then what the assassin does is finish me off since im usually half dead from my engagement with the npc and go about his way.

Another trick they do is to wait until you are near death and simply buff you thus flagging you for pvp, then again they finish you off and go about their way.

At lower levels it's most disturbing but ive managed to cope with it so far and it rarely happens now.

I find they do this a lot to newbies or lower level players.

Another trick they do is to wait until you are near death and simply buff you thus flagging you for pvp, then again they finish you off and go about their way.

Wait... you can be flagged for PVP if a flagged player buffs you?

Edited by daemian

Wait... you can be flagged for PVP if a flagged player buffs you?

or if you buff them if they are flagged or heal them or interact with a flagged player in anyway - so grouping in heroics can force the entire group to be flagged pvp

this is a horrible system and devs have to have a pve only pve servers - instanced pvp is good enough for a pve server

not a threat but I just paid my 30 days if no action is taken or if no response by a dev is made then there will not be a renewal

I hate PVP that much and want a game that I can do my quests and be left in peace by other players I don't care if this is star Wars and battles ensue between factions NPC's do just fine

Bioware please stop and correct this - it leads to griefing and ganking and is no fun, no fun means no playing the game.

or if you buff them if they are flagged or heal them or interact with a flagged player in anyway - so grouping in heroics can force the entire group to be flagged pvp

this is a horrible system and devs have to have a pve only pve servers - instanced pvp is good enough for a pve server

not a threat but I just paid my 30 days if no action is taken or if no response by a dev is made then there will not be a renewal

I hate PVP that much and want a game that I can do my quests and be left in peace by other players I don't care if this is star Wars and battles ensue between factions NPC's do just fine

Bioware please stop and correct this - it leads to griefing and ganking and is no fun, no fun means no playing the game.

I knew about the getting flagged for buffing or healing a flagged player, but you get flagged if they buff you????

Are you sure? If true, that just makes it even worse.

I knew about the getting flagged for buffing or healing a flagged player, but you get flagged if they buff you????

Indeed, that's an exploit that requires no action from the victim at all.

That's a show stopper.

I'm having doubts. If that were the case, there would be no need for griefers to stealth and wait for AoE.

Post after post points out the problem yet people still don't get it (nor read for that matter).

I stealth as an Agent, I flag myself, then I waltz into a unflagged players AoE: bam they are flagged and now attackable. In no way, shape or form did that player actually attack me. I simply get hit by their

Wait, so who damaged whom first? Who drew first blood?

Read. Understood.

If you don't want to get flagged, don't attack (damage) other players.

Nice try. Fail.

Wait, so who damaged whom first? Who drew first blood?

Read. Understood.

If you don't want to get flagged, don't attack (damage) other players.

Nice try. Fail.

How do you avoid damaging players who jump into your AoE's while stealthed?

This doesn't even get a 'nice try', you didn't read or understand any of the thread.

How do you avoid damaging players who jump into your AoE's while stealthed?

This doesn't even get a 'nice try', you didn't read or understand any of the thread.

Agreed. The way it *should* work on a PvE server (imo, of course) is that if you are not flagged for PvP then your AoE should not damage other players, period. Heck, the fact that you aren't flagged for PvP clearly states your intent NOT to damage other players.

In addition, if you are not flagged, buffing or healing a friendly target who is flagged should simply have no effect (they should not receive the benefit of the buff or the heal, and you should not be flagged). Or perhaps doing so could bring up a window warning you that your actions will cause you to be flagged, and ask you to click a "Yes, flag me" button or something.

Bottom line is there is no reason for my character to be committing acts that damage enemy players if I have chosen NOT to do this by ensuring that I am not flagged for PvP.

Edited by mrcaptainpants