Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

Deyjarl

All I know, is if anyone ganks my kid...he/she is going to have trouble. PERIOD!

You know, you just reminded me of something else that Bioware needs to keep in mind on this issue.

They've supposedly aimed this game at the KoTOR crowd, people new to mmos, casual players, families, etc. And they promised a "comfortable" gaming experience for all. (yes, they use that word in their griefing/harrassment policy wordage) Instead, nearly everything I see caters to the PvPers.

In fact I distinctly remember some pretty venomous rants by the PvP people in the forums before the game launched about it being aimed at this crowd.

Allowing the griefers to ruin the experience for these folks is nothing short of shooting yourself in the foot with a nail gun.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, you just reminded me of something else that Bioware needs to keep in mind on this issue.

They've supposedly aimed this game at the KoTOR crowd, people new to mmos, casual players, families, etc. And they promised a "comfortable" gaming experience for all. (yes, they use that word in their griefing/harrassment policy wordage) Instead, nearly everything I see caters to the PvPers.

In fact I distinctly remember some pretty venomous rants by the PvP people in the forums before the game launched about it being aimed at this crowd.

Allowing the griefers to ruin the experience for these folks is nothing short of shooting yourself in the foot with a nail gun.

Well if this issue is not solved, I def will look for a new game. I play on PVE for a reason.

Yes, I am carebear, I hate pvp. I have no need to stroke my ego online :) I play game to group with friends. People like me do exist

Edit : the carebear comment is not toward the quote text. Its for people who would call me carebear.

Edited by doublehelix

Allowing the griefers to ruin the experience for these folks is nothing short of shooting yourself in the foot with a Howitzer.

Sorry I felt the need to edit that for you.

/forgiveme

The moment this happens to me, or Bioware posts that this is ment to happen, i am done with this game. I play pve for a reason and won't accept being flagged because someone isn't man enough to play on a pvp-server. Edited by Charliff

I would hope the devs had logs of what power was used when etc so they can see your AoE hit 3 mobs and player x while player x was in stealth instead of you having to remember a screenshot while in the middle of trying to not die.

I know your post was intended as help, so I am not trying to be negative.

I would just make sure you raise an in-game ticket as close to the spot you got attacked in as possible and as soon as possible. If you die raise it while you are dead.

Raising an in game ticket. Email a screenshot of the ganker. If possible. You can print screen and catch a name, even if your dead?

My kid was ganked last night while trying to level. She isn't a baby, but she is a baby to SWTOR. Joined 2 days ago. It made me very angry. Excuse the temper flair.

I got flagged once because my group member used his pureblood social ability on his companion, and my companion healed her. Oh Malavai, was there ever a knight more shining than you *snort* Edited by grania

These are my favorite threats and I hope you follow through. I love people cutting off their nose to spite their face. Of course most people don't actually follow through, instead of a reasoned response they think the childish holding their breath and stamping their feet will get them what they want. IF you skip out on Mass Effect 3 and other fun BW projects as some imagined protest I say you go, who needs that nose right? :rolleyes:

Personally I haven't threatened to not buy other products of theirs, but I have cancelled my subscription to this one over this issue. Primarily over the issue of getting no response. But I can understand the comments by those who say they won't patronize the company in the future.

So to play devil's advocate for those who threaten not to buy another product, if you take that a step furthur. If you get ZERO response to an important issue in a game, it kinda leaves a bitter taste in your mouth and doesn't make a person in a hurry to take a chance on that company's future products.

I may not "promise" never to buy another bw product, but I will certainly think twice before trying another one.

Funcom is real good example. AO was a disaster, but when Conan came out I thought "what the heck" maybe Anarchy was a fluke rather than an indication of how they do business. Wrong. Conan was just more of the same shoddy customer service and ineptitude.

Sony is another good example. After experiences with them with MxO and SWG, I probably will not deal with them again in the future.

So to make such a simplistic statement as that they're just throwing a tantrum is, I think, being a bit short sighted. There is always more to the story. And you can't trivialize people's feelings when it comes to where they shell-out their money.

Personally I haven't threatened to not buy other products of theirs, but I have cancelled my subscription to this one over this issue. Primarily over the issue of getting no response. But I can understand the comments by those who say they won't patronize the company in the future.

So to play devil's advocate for those who threaten not to buy another product, if you take that a step furthur. If you get ZERO response to an important issue in a game, it kinda leaves a bitter taste in your mouth and doesn't make a person in a hurry to take a chance on that company's future products.

I may not "promise" never to buy another bw product, but I will certainly think twice before trying another one.

Funcom is real good example. AO was a disaster, but when Conan came out I thought "what the heck" maybe Anarchy was a fluke rather than an indication of how they do business. Wrong. Conan was just more of the same shoddy customer service and ineptitude.

Sony is another good example. After experiences with them with MxO and SWG, I probably will not deal with them again in the future.

So to make such a simplistic statement as that they're just throwing a tantrum is, I think, being a bit short sighted. There is always more to the story. And you can't trivialize people's feelings when it comes to where they shell-out their money.

I completely agree with you on this. I already paid for 6 months and I trust BW will get stuff sort out by then. If this is intended, then I will simply move on to another game and take my friends with me. Hopefully this is just an oversight and they are working on a solution.

Meh. If it's a matter of principal I don't care about the money. I've personally quit going to stores over crap service involving things that cost very little money. Did I bankrupt them? No (but two of them did go out of business...too bad correlation doesn't actually equal causation because I would be Darth Business Killer).

Anyways, this is no different. If just wanting to play the game without being ganked is important to someone, and they thought that's what they were getting when they signed up for a PVE server, then it's important to them.

If they feel Bioware is ignoring them and not delivering a product they want to play, they're more than entitled to cancel their sub to show Bioware they are unhappy.

Edited by racsofp

This is already being used as a grief mechanic. I came up against a flagged enemy faction player myself yesterday who seemed to know of, but not how to use the exploit (yes, I am calling it that). He (or she) spent at least 5-10 minutes following me around, using AOEs on me or the NPCs I was attacking. I had immediately stopped using AOEs as soon as I knew they were there, so there was no chance of getting flagged and eventually stopped what I was doing until they got bored and went away.

I will point out that this was on a RP-PVE server. Regardless of the fact that I was able to avoid getting flagged by smart play, I shouldn't have to change the way I play when I purposely chose a server to avoid a specific playstyle. This needs fixing as soon as possible because it WILL (and according to some posts in this thread, already has) drive subscribers away.

This is already being used as a grief mechanic. I came up against a flagged enemy faction player myself yesterday who seemed to know of, but not how to use the exploit (yes, I am calling it that). He (or she) spent at least 5-10 minutes following me around, using AOEs on me or the NPCs I was attacking. I had immediately stopped using AOEs as soon as I knew they were there, so there was no chance of getting flagged and eventually stopped what I was doing until they got bored and went away.

I will point out that this was on a RP-PVE server. Regardless of the fact that I was able to avoid getting flagged by smart play, I shouldn't have to change the way I play when I purposely chose a server to avoid a specific playstyle. This needs fixing as soon as possible because it WILL (and according to some posts in this thread, already has) drive subscribers away.

Yeah, I've had similar. I don't know if they're trying to get me to use my aoe, hoping I'll forget, get mad, or what. Usually what I do is give them a /rude, turn my character's back to them, and ignore them til they go away.

I even had one guy come over and start emoting /bow maybe trying to apologize or trying to be sarcastic. Who knows. Every time he got in front of me /bowing again, I turned my back again. He finally left.

Point is, like you said, I shouldn't have had to interrupt what I was doing to go through that. If this ability wasn't in place they wouldn't even be trying to do it.

Edited by VarnieTsk

I would say also that if one sees this occurring and successfully avoids the trick, that they broadcast in general chat the player's name and what they're up to.

I'm so happy that Bioware is finally acknowledging this issue on the forums! It looks hopeful now that they will actually DO something about it now. I really like the post from one of the devs actually instructing us to report those who do trick us into getting flagged and gank us. That means that they ARE willing to deal with griefers on PVE servers.

:)

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that the development team is aware of this issue and is currently investigating different solutions for it. Your feedback is important and we want everyone to be able to have an enjoyable experience. We'll definitely keep you posted with the latest information on this.

Thank you

AND

Apologies for the delay, but I was waiting to make sure that it was on internal radar and being worked on before I posted. :)

From the other thread at http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=159167&page=84

Happy Day :)

01.27.2012 -

Hi everyone!

We are working on getting a patch deployed to address various issues

and we expect it to deploy in the early hours of the morning tomorrow

(CST) and take no longer than four hours....

WoOT! A quick Patch going in tonight! Maybe, just maybe???

I hope, I hope, I hope!!!!! *crosses fingers and toes* Please, Please please

to the SWTOR GODS! :D

WoOT! A quick Patch going in tonight! Maybe, just maybe???

I hope, I hope, I hope!!!!! *crosses fingers and toes* Please, Please please

to the SWTOR GODS! :D

While that would be awesome, I don't think it's going to be the case. I think they were still discussing the fixes when we were told that this would be fixed. In the mean time, it has been confirmed that exploiting this is reportable as harassment.

ALL PVE servers should have the Flag disabled and the only way to enable it is by excepting a duel or having another player except your request for a duel.

Or enter a PvP area where it gets enabled by default.

Funny how you get a big warning and you even have time to leave before getting flagged.

But not with this exploit.

Edited by Korizan

That would work for me. I have no desire to enter a PvP area. I'd rather chew glass.

I love PvP. I play on a PvE server.

Why?

Because ganking is not PvP. And this goes beyond the usual "let's jump the lowbie and teabag him for a while" - this is a deliberate bypass of intended systems to force someone into PvE against their will.