Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

Deyjarl

And when it happens repeatedly because the guy who killed you is invisible? Two deaths, and you're already at a 30-second revive timer - one more and you're waiting a minute and a half. That is NOT a solution, I'm sorry. It's as much a solution as me saying "Well, if I right-click his portrait, I can turn off his PvP flag mid-fight."

It's harassment of a player by forcing him into PvP play when he does not wish to play PvP, and has taken steps to ensure he does not get engaged into PvP play unwillingly. It is not consensual between both parties, and it may be exploiting a broken rule in the game's code to do so.

Corpse camping is griefing/harassment. Separate issue.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's a special subset of PvP'ers that enjoy pvp on an mmo. they dont like fair fights or balance. now lets look at the sort of individual that likes to take part in this sort of behaviour.

1. they need 20 level advantage

2. they need to play the OP class

3. they need to massively out gear you.

4. they need to have the drop on you.

5. they need skill to take a place behind class, level and gear

6. going around griefing like this is the best use of their time.

you shouldn't get angry you should get amused just point laugh and remember they may have cost you 30 seconds of res/run time but they are going to be them for the rest of their lives ;)

Well, as has been said umpteen times in these threads ad nauseum, it costs us far more than "30 seconds of res/run time." It costs us our entire playstyle choice.

As it is on the so-called "PvE" servers now, you can play "PvE" and avoid 'PvP" only if you watch your back constantly against other players, don't use AoEs nor allow your companion to use them anywhere that it's remotely possible there could be a stealthed enemy or that one could zoom up on a speeder after you've engaged. Oh wait, that sounds like a 'PvP" server.

And 30 seconds? No, try 5 minutes in a cantina with your thumb in your nether region. Then time to "attempt" to resume what you were doing when you were interrupted for someone elses entertainment. Then having to play gimped to try to avoid a repeat.

I see no reason I should have to watch out for other players on a "PvE" server. Silly me, I thought that's what "PvE" servers were for. After all, we've been getting told for years now, "So go play on a PvE server then."

Corpse camping is griefing/harassment. Separate issue.

When it's not the same guy, though? Someone can run in after you start mortaring a "safe area." Someone can fly by and get knocked off a speeder mid-AoE. Someone can stealth and wait. There's a lot of ways someone can get flagged by someone else's actions, no matter how careful they are.

Regardless, it sounds like the current accepted manner of dealing with it is reporting who does it, and letting the GMs decide if it's exploitive behavior or not.

AMEN! If BW was to release a true pve server where t heir was ZERO pvp flagging i would roll to that server in a heart beat!

One of the best games i have ever played was EQ2 and on their pve servers there was ZERO pvp!

Shoot even daoc (a game designed around pvp)had zero pvp in the pve zones since the other factions could not access the pve zones!

There was dueling though.

(edit: Looks like the post I quoted and was responding to got deleted)

ROFL. Nope, nobody's asking anyone to feel sorry for us. In fact as far as I can see by that remark, you're only here to troll this thread. We're here to discuss an issue that's very important to some of us and to bring it to Bioware's attention, why are you here?

What we ARE asking for is a few simple things really. First and foremost, we're asking for a response to a simple question from Bioware.

The question is.....Is this working as intended and/or is there a chance this will be changed? If it's working as intended, then we'll know whether we want continue playing this game or not.

The second question, if it's not working as intended, is....What is going to be done about it?

If you're "simply unable to" feel sorry for us as you say, good. Nobody wants you to. But all I see is that you're "simply unable to" even understand what the issue really is."

Edited by VarnieTsk

Okay I play on a RP-PVP server, so to me this just seems so blown out of proportion and ridiculous

Yeah, I realize it's a PVP server, and I realize I made that decision, but seriously why does it matter if ONE TIME you get flagged and die? It takes a total of 1 minute to respawn or get back to your body and you don't even get damaged gear. It's REALLY not that big of a deal and your whining about it is hilarious to be honest

Simply put for another person with serious critical thinking and comprehension issues:

My time is important to me and I like to spend my time in a game how I want to spend my time. Not how YOU want me to spend my time.

Try reading that a few times and it may sink in to you. Probably not though.

Simply put for another person with serious critical thinking and comprehension issues:

My time is important to me and I like to spend my time in a game how I want to spend my time. Not how YOU want me to spend my time.

Well said. Well said.

When I PvP, I usually play WWII Online, where everybody is there for good old-fashioned skill-based person versus person. I spend my time there knowing the consequences.

When I PvP in EVE, it is more of a blockade runner type of experience. I rarely engage in combat, but I enjoy trying to evade and get away from players pursuing me.

Now when I play SWTOR on PvE, I'm expecting just that. An experience where I don't have to be concerned about another player attacking me. It's just me, and the pace set by myself and the environment.

While there are certain ways to exploit the system, how would you actually attack someone who is flagged if you couldn't damage them? If AOEs didn't do damage to opposing players, what good would they be?

There are certain game mechanics which just can't be changed without completely breaking the game, this is one of them.

This is completely wrong.

You could have a setting, like RIFT did, that would prevent your AOEs from flagging you for PvP. AOEs just don't affect the other player... unless you were already flagged which you could do by flagging yourself, or by targetting them with a single target ability which would flag you.

There are relatively simple coding solutions to this problem.

I'm glad you admit you have a sociopathic disorder. I mean, lack of empathy IS the text book definition.

That's the first step in getting help.

I'm not entirely sure when not caring about every pointless concern that people have makes you a sociopath. If you were actually harmed in a sense rather than dying in a video game I might care.

Pretty sure this is the end of the world. Didn't the mayans predict this or something with their calendar?

The Mayans were not predicting the end of the world, they were trying to alert us that the Hobbit Movie is being released at the end of 2012.

Edited by Fraxture

you just put them on ignore and let your guildies know about the guy. Had an assain role need on medium armor chest when he was asked about it he said assasins wear medium armor he latter rolled on a light chest when it was pointed out he claimed he worse medium he enver responded group finish the FP and all put him on their dng list. Now you see him asking for groups and never getting any. Funny how that works

Why does it bother you so much though? You lose very little time and you can just use your probe and stealth away after. That's what I don't understand and why I think it's being blown out of proportion. It's not about 'reading comprehension', it's about a VERY minor issue that you're masquerading as a major gamebreaking issue.

Not only that, but you'll come out of PVP mode eventually and be untargetable, unlike real PVP servers.

I agree it needs fixing, but acting as if this is some horrible gamebreaking issue because you got ganked in OPVP once is insane. It's absolutely ridiculous, whether you realize it or not.

Edited by Esaru

Why does it bother you so much though? You lose very little time and you can just use your probe and stealth away after. That's what I don't understand and why I think it's being blown out of proportion. It's not about 'reading comprehension', it's about a VERY minor issue that you're masquerading as a major gamebreaking issue.

So, if you feel that way, why are you here? You really aren't contributing anything constructive to this thread.

My time is spent how I choose to spend it. You pay my subscription then you can tell me what I should consider a "loss of time". I sure as heck don't want to waste time because someone thinks it's funny to auto flag me over and over again by stepping into my aoe.

Comprehend this: I rolled on a PvE server so I wouldn't have to put up with this sort of junk.

(edit: Looks like the post I quoted and was responding to got deleted)

You're suggesting without saying why. If you truly are just suggesting that it's not a big deal, then maybe a rational post with some logical counterpoints would be more effective than short insulting comments and a condescending attitude.

What may appear to be no big deal to you is, in fact, a very big deal to others.

If you want to argue the issue with us and give reasons WhY it should be no big deal to us, go ahead. But if all you want is some attention and to invalidate the feelings of others with cliche's and rhetoric, then I say again, you should go elsewhere.

I really have been waiting to hear one rational, logical reason why I should have to alter my playstyle in order to avoid PvP on a PvE server when the description on the server select screen says that Pvp is voluntary and only when agreed to by both parties.

If you can give me a valid reason this "feature" should not be removed, when it so clearly has such a negative affect on so many people, to the point of causing some to quit the game altogether, then I'd love to see it.

Edited by VarnieTsk

So, if you feel that way, why are you here? You really aren't contributing anything constructive to this thread.

My time is spent how I choose to spend it. You pay my subscription then you can tell me what I should consider a "loss of time". I sure as heck don't want to waste time because someone thinks it's funny to auto flag me over and over again by stepping into my aoe.

Comprehend this: I rolled on a PvE server so I wouldn't have to put up with this sort of junk.

I'm here because I find this incredibly hilarious being on a PVP server. I mean I've been on plenty of PVE servers in MMO's before and I wouldn't spend my time QQing on the forums because I got ganked a couple times by accidently flagging in PVP (guess what people, it happens! deal with it!).

I'll say it again - blowing it way out of proportion. :rolleyes:

Edited by Esaru

While there are certain ways to exploit the system, how would you actually attack someone who is flagged if you couldn't damage them? If AOEs didn't do damage to opposing players, what good would they be?

There are certain game mechanics which just can't be changed without completely breaking the game, this is one of them.

How about because if I'm not flagged, IT MEANS I DON'T WANT TO DAMAGE YOU ANYMORE THAN I WANT YOU TO DAMAGE ME! IF I WANTED TO ATTACK YOU, I'D HAVE ALREADY FLAGGED MYSELF!!!!!

This is what you seem to fail to understand. PvE'ers DO NOT WANT TO ATTACK PEOPLE WHO ARE FLAGGED BECAUSE WE DO NOT WANT TO PVP PERIOD!!

Seriously, there must be something in the water around here.

Edited by Zorvan

Not only that, but you'll come out of PVP mode eventually and be untargetable, unlike real PVP servers.

I agree it needs fixing, but acting as if this is some horrible gamebreaking issue because you got ganked in OPVP once is insane. It's absolutely ridiculous, whether you realize it or not.

You're still missing the point. It's not just the incident itself and it's not just a few minutes inconvenience. It's being forced to change the way you play in an effort to avoid pvp, when the whole reason for rolling on a pve server was to avoid pvp.

Why should we have to do that just so some bored player can disrupt whatever it was we wanted to do and force us to entertain him. It literelly sucks all the enjoyment out of the game having to even worry about it.

That is "supposedly" why we have PvP and PvE servers in the first place.

I'm here because I find this incredibly hilarious being on a PVP server. I mean I've been on plenty of PVE servers in MMO's before and I wouldn't spend my time QQing on the forums because I got ganked a couple times by accidently flagging in PVP.

I'll say it again - blowing it way out of proportion. :rolleyes:

I find it hilarious that you are spending your time here, "QQ'ing in what you call a QQ thread" instead of actually playing on your beloved PvP server. ;)

I've also played other MMO's. Never have I had this be an issue in any of them on a PvE server.

Do you have anything constructive? Or do you just want to keep trolololololol'ing?

When the high level player can just repeat the process and grief him again.

It'd be one thing if this was a same level guy doing it, but a level 50? Griefing on Nar Shaddaa? That loser should be banned just for being so ***** as to go grief lowbies.

I sure as heck don't want to waste time because someone thinks it's funny to auto flag me over and over again by stepping into my aoe.
Stop using AOE.

I thought you were saying he was somehow flagging you by tagging the mob first, but if you're just blindly using AOE around a flagged enemy, then it's your own damn fault.

Edited by Ansultares

OK, I will bite if you want to have a mature and logical conversation about it.

It does not bother me so much. I am not sure where you get any degree of bother from people wanting this changed.

It has not happened to me in this game and I cannot recall this happening to me in any MMO over my 12+ years of playing them....NOW, that being said....that is why I "DISAGREE" with this current process.

I do not get many hours a week to play. Some time I get 45 minutes...sometime I may get 2 hours.

I want to PLAY during that time by questing and advancing my character.

I do not want to worry about PvP or being flagged for PvP or having some bored immature person with too much time on their hands wasting my time.

If you cannot understand why people do not want this to happen to them on a PvE server when all they want to do is PvE then no amount of logic will get the point across to you.

I don't want you, or little bored timmy, or PvP griefer boy to make me spend anymore time staring at my keyboard doing nothing.

If I CHOOSE to PvP, which I do, then kill me all you want. I CHOSE to put into that situation.

If I CHOOSE to PvE, I do not want to have worry about controlling what abilities I use because some one is hiding invis or around the next rock to try to "trick" me into flagging myself to waste my time getting killed and reviving.

It is not in game loot, it is not in game coin, or cost to repair, it is imply not how I choose to spend my already limited playtime on a game I PAY real life money to play.

Its the type of feature that is bad for business if this is left the way it is, and this will only get worse the more bored children hit lvl 50 and run out of productive things to do.

Edited by Paralassa
content

You're still missing the point. It's not just the incident itself and it's not just a few minutes inconvenience. It's being forced to change the way you play in an effort to avoid pvp, when the whole reason for rolling on a pve server was to avoid pvp.

Why should we have to do that just so some bored player can disrupt whatever it was we wanted to do and force us to entertain him. It literelly sucks all the enjoyment out of the game having to even worry about it.

That is "supposedly" why we have PvP and PvE servers in the first place.

Like I said, if it's not working properly (clearly) then it needs fixing. I just think you shouldn't get so upset at a chance at OPVP, whether you wanted to experience it or not. Getting ganked by players 20 levels above you is never fun, but fighting in OPVP with another player that's a similar level can be VERY fun. I know you may not agree but considering there's no workaround for this issue, at least TRY to enjoy it?

And honestly, if someone 20 levels higher is purposely flagging you and then killing you, report him with a ticket. Not only is it a PVE server, but he's essentially just griefing you. I'm sure they'll do something about it. Again, it needs to be fixed... I never disagreed with that.

Edited by Esaru