Why does Mako suck?

BBriggs

I find her heals really arent all that great, but maybe its because I dont know what gear to give her (willpower?).

She uses cunning, not willpower. If you haven't been giving her mostly cunning gear, that could certainly be the problem. Generally, whatever stats they give you on your companion's equipment are the ones you should use. One is always endurance, which is on everything, but the other varies. They never try to trick you with it, just see what they have equipped and go with that.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the OP is not doing something right. Mako is BY FAR the best companion for any BH other than a Bodyguard merc. I use Blizz on my Bodyguard. Mako is best for EVERY other spec if she's geared properly.

When I say "geared properly" I dont mean you have her in quest greens...You should have your top companion in full oranges with fully upgraded mods by level 40. Anyone with full quest greens on either themselves or their companion at level 40+ is doing it wrong.

Tbh I've found Mako was awful until I realised her primary stat was cunning and I started gearing her with every bit of cunning armour I could find... now she heals like a boss.

The stunning thing is useful but maybe 2/10 she seems to stun the target I'm hitting which is pretty useless!

I've found that I hardly ever drop below 75% in elite/boss fights 1on1 with mako healing me, for those horrible moments I've always got medpacks, Kolto overload and that HoT if your companion is present with a 20 min cooldown (forget the name!)...

OP: Stick with her, she is by far the most useful one! You don't get any other companions who are better healers so defo worth perservering with.

Mako barley heals and does almost no damage. I really hate that shes my only option at the moment to have out as my companion. Does she get any better? Or will I continue to die everytime I fight a mob higher level than me?

I think the question is. Why do you suck more than a bunch of bytes on a screen. Mako works just fine. You are the broken part of this equation.

The funny thing is, even though I gear out all my companions, I can not stand NOT having Mako.

I am a small exception, seeing as she is now in almost full Tier with some PvP pieces mixed in. But, because of that, there is very little I *can't* do. Sure,

Heroic 4s are out, but any Heroic 2+ out there is soloable, as well as the random 50 Champs that are around Ilum go down with me near full health at the end. (Note: I run the ST/Pyro build so I have good survivability and damage also)

One issue I see people have, especially with healing companions, is expecting them to heal them through everything. You *still* need to move out of ground aoes, and interrupt an ability here or there.

I find her heals really arent all that great, but maybe its because I dont know what gear to give her (willpower?). She gets a stun ability at some point, which makes her a lot better. I find that when I need to take down an enemy quick, Gault does a much better job of dishing out damage.

Cunning!

As a healer Merc, I use Torian.

Questing with Mako, i.e. two healers, meant things died a bit slower than they should have.

I think Mako is great, but I found that a melee DPSer that I could heal meant that I could bounce heals, and some DPS while the mobs or elites died quicker. Plus with melee, I could send Torian in and stay and a distance, when compared to Gault who didn't go anywhere and brought the mobs to us.

I think Mako is a great companion for those who aren't healers. I've seen a PT tank some rather tough mobs and Mako busts out some killer heals.

Mako barley heals and does almost no damage. I really hate that shes my only option at the moment to have out as my companion. Does she get any better? Or will I continue to die everytime I fight a mob higher level than me?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Right after I got Mako I did a Heroic quest thing. Stood in a corridor and went AFK. Got a level up thanks to Mako saving my *** because I forgot that the mobs respawned if you wait too long.

Mako both kept me alive AND took out the respawning mob of three. And got me a level up.

Mako's damn amazing.

Personally, I love Mako. It's just too bad she is a healer. My Merc is a healer spec. Two healers can't quite do the damage I need. We're fine most of the time, but the lack of focused threat and Mako's tendency to heal (even in DPS mode) makes things a little harder than they should be when we're fighting large groups including some "Strong" enemies. I can't wait to get another companion. Especially a tank. Then I'll be set. Still love Mako, though.

MAKO is the best... Until 40th level I used only her...

At 40th level I said, wth, i love blizz, i level with blizz now..

I geared him up good (really really good) and I dps'ed... 2 elites and 1 silver was killing me consistantly. Fine, I respecced healing... Fights took Ages now, blizz does ****tly dmg ofc

So then I went with Torian, geared him up and tried both combinations and sadly, they didnt work out.. So I stick with Mako now.

I am 50 now for some days now. She is geared very well and I rush through Heroic 2 like crazy.. I can even do some Heroic 4 groups (smaller ones ofc) with CC, AOE and kiting, really no joking. Mako heals crit me for 1.5k, her dot heals me for 300-600 and she is doing it fast. Amazing. I love u Mako. I am happy to have a wife like this.

The trick for Mako is to keep her in the best gear possible as you level, keep her in healing stance and stand still. I love her CC and her heals work nice as I am a arsonal merc. Also make sure you have all the best implants and ear piece you can get for her.

Sounds like the OP is not doing something right. Mako is BY FAR the best companion for any BH other than a Bodyguard merc. I use Blizz on my Bodyguard. Mako is best for EVERY other spec if she's geared properly.

When I say "geared properly" I dont mean you have her in quest greens...You should have your top companion in full oranges with fully upgraded mods by level 40. Anyone with full quest greens on either themselves or their companion at level 40+ is doing it wrong.

Meh... I have Mako in mostly quest greens at 44 and she still kicks ***. There's basically nothing I can't handle except for Heroic4's. Arsenal spec.

As you say though, for anything but a Bodyguard spec, she's easily the best companion.

guys, the OP was asking for help or an answer why his mako seemed to blow.

All you just replied saying how much you liked her or never used anyone else. Not a lot of help to OP there.

Mako is awesome and if you don't think so you are incorrect and bad.

Really.... did it make you feel better to add that comment above? I mean it certainly added value and im sure answered the OP question very specifically, because you know we are all Pro by now and there is no chance someone just bought the game and is still trying to figure things out.

Someone did mention keeping her geared.

- This is important!!!

- Cunning is her primary stat NOT Aim, she cannot use your hand-me-downs unless you re-mod em with cunning.

- Make sure to upgrade her gear, get current mods installed.

- Not sure what levl you are but:

- run BT and or Hammer Station solo (18+ BT, 25+ HS). Get some under leveled orange gear, re mod it with highest level cunning you can (even the green mods are ok for this)

- Make sure to buy her a helm, earring, and two implants.

Other Things:

Make sure she is on attack(or rather not on 'back off') , if you told her to stop attacking last fight or for whatever reason you need to tell her to attack again BEFORE SHE WILL EVEN HEAL YOU.

Make sure she is in Med-Watch stance, this adds 5% to her heals and reduces CD of all heals by 25%, 25% is a HUGE Difference!!!!

She may be a healing pet but she is still a pet, treat her as such. Send her in to take the alpha strike from a large group or elite then move in and unleash mayham until mobs aggro back to you. Can easily save you 1k HP or more.

Edited by WutsInAName

I leveled to 50 using pretty much only Mako when I wasn't in a group with other players. My only complaint was that a couple of times she would stop healing me and run across the room to aggro a complete different mob. Why she did this I beyond me, I never changed targets once I started my attack... she just decided I wasn't dying often enough or something. I have her geared out and her affection is close to max, yet sometimes she runs off and does stuff that either get me killed if I don't notice what she is doing, or cause me to sacrifice her so I can run out of aggro range, heal up, dismiss her and resummon her.

I My only complaint was that a couple of times she would stop healing me and run across the room to aggro a complete different mob.

I have actually noticed this QUITE A BIT lately. We'll be in a pitched battle, and for no reason she'll run to the other side of the room and aggro like 3 or 4 Strongs and bring them to the party.

I have spent a lot of time counting the tiles in the ceiling because of that the last couple of days.

I think Mako is a great companion for those who aren't healers. I've seen a PT tank some rather tough mobs and Mako busts out some killer heals.

I was getting ready to say the same thing. As a healer/and leveling as a healer I find Mako to be "meh." She can't heal as well as I can and can't DPS as well as I can. I send her off to craft when I am solo because there isn't much of a difference without her. What I really want/need for a companion is DPS/tank.

I think Mako's usefulness is completely reliant on your build and level. She used to be good, now I can't wait to replace her.

Edited by Jilla

in later levels if you have geared her out well you definitely need her.

I don't imagine you would be able to solo 2-man heroic content past level 40 if you don't use her.

I guess you could spam heal Blizz or something but I've found Mako the most powerful of all the companions. Her heals get better and she gets a CC.

If I use any other companion they either can't do enough damage or they just die unless I spam heal them (boring).

I like Blizz but even when gearing him out I just can't get him doing enough damage output to validate him being any better than Mako.

Mako probably has the best gear on her than any other companions I have however ...

I'll second the comments on "stance" I did not realize that I didn't have her stance set at all (at level 27). You can also disable things you don't want her doing. I disabled some of her attacks so that she heals like a champ.

- Cunning is her primary stat NOT Aim, she cannot use your hand-me-downs unless you re-mod em with cunning.

She shouldn't bne using your handmedowns at all, since she wears medium armor. That would imply your character was wearing medium armor, while we should always be wearing heavy. :D

Otherwise, yeah, good points.

She works as dps, too, if that's what you need her for. You can put her in her aggressive stance (25% faster cooldown on her attack abilities), and turn off her 2 second cast heal. That heal is a bit weak compared to your own if you're a merc bodyguard, but whatever. Her HOT makes up for it mostly, and it's an instant cast.

I think it's cool that gearing matters for companions. She's pretty good as far as companions go, although none of them truly suck in and of themselves. It just depends.

Also, I noticed that most companion have abilities turned off by default, so the OP may want to check that out. Generally, I turn on all my companions' abilities and let them do their thing.

IF I could move some of her abilities to MY quickslots, that would make all companions exactly 37.51% better. ;)

TLDR: She's good (but not godly) if you use/equip her well, however the UI for controlling companions manually should be better.

Edited by Daemonjax