Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Best MMO PvP you ever played?

Lazyllama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1: DAOC

2/3: Guild Wars (not really an MMO), Warhammer (the combat system was mostly good for most of the game's lifespan, despite the city / fort system being ****ed for equally as long)

DAOC commentary:

1. DAOC had an effective overarching system because there were 3 realms. Reasonably good internal balancing.

2. DAOC had good gameplay options because there were no "rails". The developers didn't add over-engineered microgoals here and tokens there to make you do specific things.

Look at how ****** Ilum is -- players want "TOKENS" and **** to drop in Ilum to make it "worthwhile". Players do Warzones only because they give commendation tokens. Everyone and their brother wants *********** tokens as a reason to PvP, instead of simply killing players because it's fun.

In DAOC, you simply got points for doing the one thing common to all PvP: killing *********** players. None of this clicking on chests in Tatooine ********. No retarded medal farming "hey let's stand in the acid pit more". No clicking gimmicky objectives on Alderaan.

You kill players, you get points. Period.

3. DAOC PvP had a greater purpose -- relics that mattered. No game since has implemented an overarching reason for your entire faction to cooperate to WIN THE GAME. Although it has to be said: relics had a significant impact on PvE. And this is probably why we will never see a similar system for WoW/Rift/SWTOR or any PvE-centric game.

4. Gear. DAOC gear, for a very long segment of its life, was easy as **** to get to a competitive level. During vanilla, you did your epic quest, gg. During SI, you talked to a crafter and paid a few hundred gold. During ToA (**** TOA) you ****ed your ******e with a sharp object. After they nerfed TOA, it was a short grind.

Additional note on #2: This is pretty significant IMO, because this may never change for MMOs in the future. Specifically, Mythic was lazy as **** and simply bad at making their "content". They were too haphazard to go and "MAKE RAILS" like Trion, BioWare, Blizzard.

Modern developers sink a lot of development and QA time into creating things like 47 different tokens, finely-tuned token acquisition rates and gear acceleration and titles and rewards and map markers and objective capture times and ... get the picture? Developers nowadays over-engineer the games.

They call it "features" and "content". What it does is force players to min/max their "TOKENS PER HOUR".

Back in DAOC's day, the devs were lazy *****es working out of their garage. Not really, but at that level. PvP in DAOC was barebones and simple: kill players, collect RP. Kill door, kill lord, take keep. Keep helps you kill players, collect RP. Did I mention killing players and collecting RP?

The system was absurdly simple. This means that players are the ones who decided how they wanted to play -- did they want to StealthZerg™? 8-man roam? Zerg that milegate? Camp Darkness Falls? Any of the above, because they all involved ... get this: KILLING PLAYERS, COLLECTING RP.

Nowadays, developers try to tune rewards for zerging, roaming, camping, ganking. If you played Warhammer, you saw this -- keep trading, because players try to optimize RP/hour. Because devs tried to "incentivize" keep warfare. What do we do in Ilum? Trade caps. What do we do in Huttball? Farm medals. We don't PvP anymore, because the developers give us "TOKENS" and micro-objectives, and zone quests.

None of which involve killing players.

Developers are trying too hard at all the wrong things.

Mythic didn't try hard when they made DAOC. They let the players try hard after they lucked out with a solid PvP system.

Sigh.

This game sounds ************* awesome.

DAoC, hands down. 500 person thid battles raging for 2-3 hours. Unbelievable. I see all these people saying WAR, if you guys though WAR was good you probably would have loved DAoC. WAR is just a really really watered down version of it.

I have never really been into ranked pvp as I play for fun and I haven't played a lot of MMO's but..

World of Warcraft.. This is based on actually playing it though.

Not the games, balance or lack of world PVP.

But to actually play WoW. (Game Engine)

I have only played the following though:

WoW, SWTOR (duh), Warhammer, LOTR, RIFT, and some free games.

Edited by PelcPete

DAoC, hands down. 500 person thid battles raging for 2-3 hours. Unbelievable. I see all these people saying WAR, if you guys though WAR was good you probably would have loved DAoC. WAR is just a really really watered down version of it.

DAOC was before my mmodays :( shame i missed that

My first mmo was War so I dident play Daoc but I heard good things about it.

I shudder when I say this, but WoW - ONLY because of its responsiveness. It's not that balanced - but every other game I've ever played is about as balanced as Fat Albert on a jungle Jim. Edited by Mackuss

well tough one...

not in any specific order...

PRE CU Star Wars Galaxies

Asherons Call

Pre Shrouded Isles Dark age of Camelot.

Star Wars The Old Republic <--- why? because they lived up to what they said.. story based questing and it has housing, crafting, and PVP...

I'd say Eve, Neocron and SWG had the best PVP systems because the economies were driven around them and crafters were the only ones to provide weapons etc for those to PVP with.

I dislike the token system and the tiered systems in PVP. I believe they're an easy fix for a lack of involving content at end game.

I've never understood why RVR has never been implemented properly since DAoC with just about every MMO since have only 2 opposing factions when 3 or more would make a huge difference to the whole scope of the games.

Edited by Ninv

I had the most PvP fun in (no particular order):

AoC

DAoC

DCUO

Shadowbane

WoW (pre-BC)

I'm generally pleased with SWTOR, minus the PvP stat gear. We'll see how that pans out over the coming months.

Edited by BDutch

It's more that people keep deluding themselves into thinking that PvE MMOs like Rift and SWTOR will have "REALLY GOOD PVP".

Maybe GW2 will change that.

I don't think most of these people want pvp even though they say they do.

If they did they would be playing the pvp games that are out there.

Instead they play pve game and QQ hoping that the game company will reengineer the game for them.

If there were so many pvprs out there then why don't you all migrate to one of the pvp games and with all the money coming in the company can reallt give you the pvp you want.

But all I see is a trail of dead pvp games because either:

1) There aren't that many MMO pvprs out there as they like to say there is

2) Cant really think of any other reason other than all the pvprs think every game that has pvp sucks

I admit after reading all of this that it's the clear favourite. I never played it, was busy with Diablo II and NWN back then (NWN was fantastic also). I really enjoyed WAR's first 6 months, even with the crazy balance issues. I dunno what Mythic are smoking atm but they have clearly gone downhill in a big way.

World of Warcraft

/thread

hmm that game got pretty much the most horrible PvP that I've encountered in MMO history..... and I got gladiator in it to..... The most horrible thing about it is probably that you need to do their borring and unchallenging PvE content for uber items that are way overpowered in PvP. It's like a worse version of Warhammer Online.

I'd say for competitive group pvp guild wars is hands down the best because you can just create a PvP only character, use all the runes on them and PvP your *** off as much as you like to. Nobody got a gear adventage and you only won by outskilling the enemy. Guild Wars PvP for competitive is the best in any MMO by far.

For world PvP I think Aion is the best because the fortress raids where pretty epic. The only bad thing about it was that if you got high PvP rank you would lose like 5000 AP to gain like 400 AP points.... that was a terrible design and forced people to run dredgion a million times for the pvp gear.

The most horrible thing about it is probably that you need to do their borring and unchallenging PvE content for uber items that are way overpowered in PvP. It's like a worse version of Warhammer Online.

Um, are you playing on a private server or something?

The best PvP gear has been acquired through PvP for the past half decade.