The reasons this game is doing so well and better than expected.

Klarick

The people reviewing this game are likely spending < 30 hours on it. The game is fun int he beginning but gets very boring very fast. Also, the biggest problems are in endgame.

It's also widely known that the video game review process is corrupted. Lets say IGN gives many EA games realistic reviews while gamespot generally pads them and treats EA nicer. Who is more likely to receive free games, comp'd trips to expos, and early access to titles and news that they can get to the market first?

You should never, ever, trust big companies for video game reviews. Stick to the impartial customer reviews. Here I'll give you a free one:

Bioware took no chances at developing anything innovative with regards to advancing the MMO market. SW:TOR plays almost exactly like Cataclysm with a UI from 2004... wearing jedi robes... with a story stapled to it's back. The class quest and voice over slightly save what would have otherwise been a below average game.

5/10.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing i notice is when i ask people in general chat, or the guild if they enjoy the game... they love it. you come to the forums almost everyone hates it. So the people that hate it have nothing better to do with there lives and live on the forums, while the people enjoy it dont bother with the forums and are to busy enjoying a great game.

I myself enjoy the game a whole lot... very fun the whole way to level 50 AND after..... Im not ignorant i know there are bugs and what not..... but im not whiny and spoiled expecting to get every single thing i want in a first release mmorpg. I will wait patiently for months then ill make my better judgement.

People saying this is a wow clone... probably never played any mmorpg then wow it self. people that say the game is only here because of the brand name, probably to ignorant that wow is based off the popular warcraft series. I really dislike wow and if its a clone then why am i enjoying this? if its a wow clone where are the dragons and panda? if its a wow clone where are the grenades, cover system, better looking attack animations(yes i know its not as responsive but like i said..... I'm going to give it time unlike some whiners that want everything now).

And Seriously?!?? you say its grindy? all mmorpgs have grinds... its just that swtor makes it a WHOLE lot interesting in the process.

All in all great game i agree with the OP. hopefully the bugs and other things will sort it self out in the future. but i dont see me going anywhere for a long time.

Op is obviously not lvl 50. No grind ? HA.

I'm 44, haven't noticed a grind.

Grinding is mostly known for repetitive **** OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER aka korean mmos.

swtor killed it.

Edited by PsySHOK

The thing i notice is when i ask people in general chat, or the guild if they enjoy the game... they love it. you come to the forums almost everyone hates it.

It's like those IN the game are playing a diffrent MMO than those that post on the Forum. It really is an odd thing.

It's like those IN the game are playing a diffrent MMO than those that post on the Forum. It really is an odd thing.

No just they are enjoying it.... they have opinions to and they like it. not our fault you dont like it? its an opinion but yea.... i guess everyone has to agree with you, because yours matters over everyone else.

I finished Tatooine today. Im positive ive killed 200 sand people or w/e they are called. I also killed lots of droids, "exchange" troops and jawas.

And yes, i do know you dont have to do every quest, but i also know that there so many quests where the only thing you have to do is kill stuff.

So idk, if thats not grinding...

I finished Tatooine today. Im positive ive killed 200 sand people or w/e they are called. I also killed lots of droids, "exchange" troops and jawas.

And yes, i do know you dont have to do every quest, but i also know that there so many quests where the only thing you have to do is kill stuff.

So idk, if thats not grinding...

Its not grinding. And welcome to MMOs! You will learn to love them!!!

By now we all know about the numerous Game of the Year awards already won by SWTOR, and we have either read reviews, or heard on TV (like G4TV), just how awesome this game is. We also know that SWTOR has broken the record for pre-order sales and has set a bar that is darn near unreachable by most developers. We get it. The game rocks. But why? What did Bioware accomplish that has this game skyrocketing so quickly?

- Story Driven MMO. People are simply tired of WoW and its many clones (Rift...etc).

- Character Development. You begin your development at level 1 not at the end cap level.

- In SWTOR "The Real Game" starts at level 1. Most MMO's the real game doesnt start until end-cap.

- Immersive game play and environments.

- SWTOR killed "the Grind" that plagues so many MMO's.

- Fluid Combat with clashing Lightsabers!

- In SWTOR the leveling process is FUN and not a chore.

- Voice-Acted questing. Incredibly well done.

- Smooth Launch! Fairly unusual in this business but BW pulled it off.

- If its this good at launch, imagine SWTOR in a year! AMAZING!

lol.

TOR is quite literally the same old grindfest but with voice overs, and combat that is anything but fluid.

This is really quite impressive. Do you work for Bioware?

I don't think you've even played the game to be honest. It shows in the awards thing right below here. All MMOs get rewards before being published. Its like....the special Olympics.

But.....due to the fact you've never played and/or haven't step foot in the real world, allow me to make the corrections.

in red

By now we all know about the numerous Game of the Year awards already won by SWTOR, and we have either read reviews, or heard on TV (like G4TV), just how awesome this game is. We also know that SWTOR has broken the record for pre-order sales and has set a bar that is darn near unreachable by most developers. We get it. The game rocks. But why? What did Bioware accomplish that has this game skyrocketing so quickly?

- Story Driven MMO. People are simply tired of WoW and its many clones (Rift...etc).

WoW had story. Just because you didn't read it, like it, or know it, doesn't mean it didn't exist. In fact, i think every MMO i've played save for maybe 2 out of 8, had some sort of story. Furthermore, not every story ever written has been good, most have been really bad. Thats why you can count the worlds best authors on your hands. B-movies and the WB both have stories. This is a bad WB show

- Character Development. You begin your development at level 1 not at the end cap level.

- In SWTOR "The Real Game" starts at level 1. Most MMO's the real game doesnt start until end-cap. Hands down the worst character creation i've seen in a MMO...to date.

Immersion is subjective. It does look decent with 3D vision but........killing 10 rats or delivering a letter (datapad) is hardly....immersive

How so? Give me an example. Its clear you didn't level a trooper on Hoth.

This is how i know you're a troll or 14 year old fanboy. The combat is many things and fluid is not one of them. Spamming my shield for 4 seconds before my global cooldown stars without the shield activating is uh.....anything BUT fluid. Oh....this is on an overclocked system probably better than yours at stock speeds.

It is the very definition of a chore. Off the ship to point A, quest at point B on the other side of the planet map, back to point A, back to point b, back to A, to point C equally as far away. Killing the same 3-5 mobs standing around every time.

You don't know much about acting do you? Same hand guestures with the same long winded dribble. *see "story" above

Server queues, error 9000, waiting several days while my friends leveled while i waited even though we bought the game within hours of each other. Fun

In a year they wont have 150+ million to do the voice overs again because the bugs, crap combat, boring story, and the plethora of other things wrong.

ROFL.....read a book.

Edited by skyvortex

- It's still a grind only covered up by voice acting

- Combat is not fluid in case you missed the 3 huge combat delay threads that even Bioware acknowledges exists.

Aside from the issue combat is very well designed.

And you can cast one spell every gcd at least.

swtor and wow are two completely different games. comparing the two is not exactly smart.

If you read the bit that I quoted, you might understand why I compared it to WoW. That said, SWTOR and WoW are not that different at all. To claim they are is, again, ignorant.

TL/DC = Too Long / Don't Care.

Could use a TL/DR here for your wall-O-text. Good Lord.

This just proves to me that you are exactly what I thought - an immature fanboi. However, as I am a nice adult, I'll simplify things so even your tiny brain can understand them without becoming fatigued (in blue as I feel red is overused).

- Voice Acted quest (including side Quests) ... Not in WoW.

True, Now I get to spend 2+ minutes of my life spacebaring to figure out where to go to kill/gather X of Y and why I'm doing it.

- Epic Storylines ... Not in WoW.

There are plenty of epic storylines in WoW to be found. Unfortunately for lazy people like you, you have to READ the quests to know that.

- Decision trees in conversations that affect your toons development ... Not in WoW.

No they don't. All they do is allow you to buy/equip gear and maybe gain or lose some companion favor (which can easily be brought back up with a well-picked gift or two).

- The "Real Game" starts at level 1 ... Not in WoW.

Totally subjective. All games I play start at level 1 (including WoW). If they didn't, I wouldn't play them. Maybe if you actually read what you consider "walls of text" you would enjoy the leveling process a little more.

- Companions that actually do things for you ... Not in WoW.

Yay for spending more time managing less competent pets. I guess it's nice that I can pay to send them out to get things other games let me get for free...

- Balanced PvP ... Not in WoW.

Apparently you've never queued for and played a WarZone in SWTOR.

- PvP with decent rewards ... Not in WoW.

Wrong. In both SWTOR and WoW you grind warzones (battlegrounds) for gear to grind more warzones (battlegrounds). Only in WoW, I actually enjoyed it (thanks to the rated ladder system)

- Immersive Gameplay ... Not in WoW.

Again, this is VERY subjective. I'll just say I was FAR more immersed in WoW than I am in SWTOR (might have something to do with the ridiculous number of loading screens. . . ).

- Cool Space Combat mini-game ... Not in WoW.

I'll give you this one halfway. I, like you, quite enjoy the space combat. However, you cannot possibly say that WoW is lacking in mini-games and I'm sure lots of people love them.

EDIT: If anyone is interested in seeing my original, more detailed rebuttal of Klarik's above quote, it's the third post from the bottom on this page. And yes, it is a bit long. ^.^

Edited by Nymaeria

If you read the bit that I quoted, you might understand why I compared it to WoW. That said, SWTOR and WoW are not that different at all. To claim they are is, again, ignorant.

This just proves to me that you are exactly what I thought - an immature fanboi. However, as I am a nice adult, I'll simplify things so even your tiny brain can understand them without becoming fatigued (in blue as I feel red is overused).

EDIT: If anyone is interested in seeing my original, more detailed rebuttal of Klarik's above quote, it's the third post from the bottom on this page. And yes, it is a bit long. ^.^

LOL! You have the cajones to scold the poster you quoted as being immature, give us some homily about being a nice adult, and then insult the poster more than once.

Uh HELLO? Physician heal thyself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Edited by KippTabor

- In SWTOR "The Real Game" starts at level 1. Most MMO's the real game doesnt start until end-cap.

Please don't make me laugh so hard! my sides are splitting with this drivel!

The second you mentioned G4TV, i ignored the rest of the post. You do realize G4 / Gamespot take bribes to give falsified / suger coated reviews. So anything they have to say is invalid.

"Fluid Combat with clashing Lightsabers!" (SWtor's combat is far from fluid, coupled with terrible netcoding)

"The leveling process/grind is not fun" (come back and tell me that when you hit rank 60 valor)

'Voice-Acted questing." (Voice acting is pointless in the end game, thus a waste of development budget. If this was a single player game then it would be fine, But its not).

"Immersive game play and environments." (The immersion goes out the window after the first two planets, by the last fue planets the story is completely stale and uninventive. It just becomes stale. The enviroments are uncreative and linear. Coupled with the countless glitchs that had been reported over and over during beta.)

What "Game of the Year" awards has this game won besides E3 awards? I have seen a few "Editor's Choice" awards, but please post where you see game of the year awards because I cannot find a single one. I like the game too but I don't need to lie about it, pathetic.

Some of these negative Nellies must lead boring lives if other people liking a game interests and bothers them so very much (yes, it's very obvious that some of them pretend to be amused - it's a well-known defense mechanism).

I think that some of the obsessively negative types around here need to ask themselves why they are driven to such lengths to try to challenge the opinions of those who they claim are idiots? If they are idiots, dismiss their opinions, and just move on with your lives. Why are they worth so much of your precious uberpwnzor time? Go pwn some kids in some game you like or something. Could it be because you are trying desperately to spread you unhappiness? It kills you to see other people enjoying something? Yeah, I think so. Schadenfreude is all the rage currently.

One thing is clear to me after listening to some of the obsessed anti-SWTOR folks -- most of them haven't been out in the real world very long, if at all. It's stamped like a hallmark all over the way they "reason" while they attempt to debate, and fail. "UR WRONG LOL!"

The l33t peeps need to realize that not every game is going to be made for the l33ts. Doesn't work that way and the sooner they realize this, the sooner we can all move on. this isn't a FPS, get over it.

Edited by KippTabor

LOL! You have the cajones to scold the poster you quoted as being immature, give us some homily about being a nice adult, and then insult the poster more than once.

Uh HELLO? Physician heal thyself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Awe, aren't you cute with your little Wiki link?!

I was joking about the "nice adult" bit. Nice adults don't typically partake in forum idiocy. That said, I cannot help but ruffle fanboy's feathers a lil'. I like this game. I'm still playing the game and don't have plans to cancel my account. But when people try to claim that SWTOR is something new and innovative I can't seem to keep my mouth shut.

OP claims that this game has little to no similarities to WoW. I strongly disagree and explained why. He/she decided that it would be better to complain about the length of my post than read it and respond to the content (much like yourself). It is my opinion that that is immature and lazy behavior so I said as much. Sorry if that offends you. Actually, not really. . .

Now that we've had a wee chat about my shortcomings as a human being, perhaps you can stop telling me I'm a bad person and get this thread back on topic.

I like this game and think its awsome, but this post made me giggle.

Pls get your head out from biowares arse would u :p

The game rocks. But why? What did Bioware accomplish that has this game skyrocketing so quickly?

Not sure if trolling, but can't resist!!!

1. Story Driven MMO is about the only thing this game has. This game 'IS' a WOW clone, if you can't see that, then you are a moron, along with the rest of the SWTOR fanboys.

2. Immersive game play and environments? *** are you smoking? The NPC's are lifeless and stale. The worlds are Stale and static. Only one planet has made me feel like I'm actually playing a Star Wars game. Outside of Voice/Cut-scenes, which I already complimented in question one, this game is boring as hell.

3. Killed the grind? I kinda agree. Although past level 50 and making an ALT, those cut-scenes/voices become more of an annoyance than a benefit. So I'm iffy with this response.

4. Fluid combat and Flashing LS? HAHAHAH! This is where i seriously thought you were trolling. The combat is ****. It's choppy, unresponsive and frustrating. SWTOR combat is honestly the worst responsive combat that I have experienced in an MMO and I've got a huge list under my belt.

5. You already mentioned this 3 times. Yes, we know the questing is fun (too a certain extent. Is this really all you fanboy's can come up with?)

6. You mentioned this 4 times now. LOL!

7. I will admit that the launch was well done when comparing other MMO launches. However you can't ignore the serious programming issues that lay beneath the surface of this game. The engine they used is terrible.

8. Yea, we can all throw out misguided views on what we think this game will be like in a year.

I'm sure you've been trolled to death by now (haven't read the whole thread and I won't) but I agree with everything you've said. I'm anxious to see where the developers will take the game/story from here.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.