The reasons this game is doing so well and better than expected.

Klarick

With the hype behind this game it seems like it should be doing better than it is.

It has already won Game of The Year Awards, it is getting amazing reviews from reputable gaming sources, it has broken all the sales records for a launch MMO, and has just broke the 2 million sold milestone.

Im not real sure it can do much better than that.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he asked to show evidence of the population dropping. this is evidence of the population dropping
That evidence doesn't show at all that population is dropping. It's only showing they aren't as active due to lack of free time. Although some people are gonna leave the game it is a fact that we cannot ignore, but it wont drop dramatically and more people will come to play the game which is also a fact.

Also some people who aren't currently happy with the game due to all bugs and stuff will most likely come back later after few patches anyways.

Edited by PalawaJoko

It has already won Game of The Year Awards, it is getting amazing reviews from reputable gaming sources, it has broken all the sales records for a launch MMO, and has just broke the 2 million sold milestone.

Reviews mean nothing, again I point to WAR and its perfect 5/5 from gamespy and its many high scoring reviews across the board. this game ran better in beta, its in a sad state right now

Lets comapare, Frame rate issues at launch. Check

Bad PvP. Check

Lack of endgame. Check

bad UI. Check

They seem to be a lot alike at the moment. also it doesnt help that EA took a dev team from the failing MMO (WAR) and had them work on this, we shoulda seen it coming is all I'm saying

2 million people saw it coming and bought a copy. We cant hear your complaints due to all the party whistles and the clanging together of the Game of The Year Awards.

The game's doing better-than-expected?

I mean, I remember tons of people who thought this game would easily sell 3-4 million units and have a couple million subs, especially based on the untrustworthy games site that said TOR had sold a million preorders in the U.S. alone.

I would say "as expected," or even "slightly worse than expected" is more like it.

How much did you pocket from Blizzard then to make this post?

See, I can do it too.

Except Blizzard shouldn't be worried by this game at all, I doubt their marketting team even made any preparation knowing this game was a huge dissapointment. Devs of other games play other companies games y'know, Blizzard devs would quickly realise this game doesn't have **** on WoW.

2 million people saw it coming and bought a copy. We cant hear your complaints due to all the party whistles and the clanging together of the Game of The Year Awards.

Oh good, becoming complacent is always a recipe for success. Perhaps later I won't hear your praise of TOR over all the people stampeding towards another MMO.

Get back to me in 60 days.

I mean, I remember tons of people who thought this game would easily sell 3-4 million units and have a couple million subs, especially based on the untrustworthy games site that said TOR had sold a million preorders in the U.S. alone.

I would say "as expected," or even "slightly worse than expected" is more like it.

Well according to Bioware it is doing better then expected. They stated that they are seeing more people willing to keep subscribing after the first month then what they had expected.

Name one reputable person that thought this game would sell 3-4 million copies in its launch? Cant? Thought so. It has already broken launch sales records for MMO's. Bioware said they hoped for 500,000. They just hit over 2 million.

Edited by Klarick

2 million is an "extrapolated" estimate from VGChartz, a notoriously inaccurate site that is not using any sort of official numbers.

I'm pretty sure Bioware would have explicitly told us if this game was over 2 million units, just like they explicitly told us the second it passed 1 million.

Name one reputable person that thought this game would 3-4 million copies in its launch? Cant? Thought so. It has already broken launch sales records for MMO's. Bioware said they hoped for 500,000. They just hit over 2 million.

If this game only gets 500,000 subs EA stock will get killed.

Well according to Bioware it is doing better then expected. They stated that they are seeing more people willing to keep subscribing after the first month then what they had expected.

and according to Bioware only 5% of people are having frame issues and the majority of that 5% have lowend walmart PC's.

now go read the Horrid FPS thread and see all the dxdiag's with I7's with 10+GB's of ram.

Bioware always tells the truth~

Just one more week, then the first bunch of whiners who TRUELLY aren't paying for a subscription (and neither is their mommy) will see their 30 day trial expire and be *gone*. Two weeks, and we'll mostly have the more normal complaints of people who at least can put some of their grievances into perspective, which is: "Overall this game IS fantastic"!

Yes, there certainly are some things that could use some attention, but half the complaints are complaints from people who'd join a football team just to whine that it's not a hockey team.

Really, if someone wants to play WoW In Space, I'd advice that person to get the TBC expansion for WoW, or tell Actiblizzion to make a Starcraft MMO or something like that. A KotOR MMORPG wouldn't be the place for them to be, unless they actually are interrested in a game with a very prominent RPG component.

Bioware promised us KotOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, and I must say: Bioware DID deliver KotOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,9 ,10 and 11. May KotOR 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and many more follow!

By now we all know about the numerous Game of the Year awards already won by SWTOR, and we have either read reviews, or heard on TV (like G4TV), just how awesome this game is. We also know that SWTOR has broken the record for pre-order sales and has set a bar that is darn near unreachable by most developers. We get it. The game rocks. But why? What did Bioware accomplish that has this game skyrocketing so quickly?

- Story Driven MMO. People are simply tired of WoW and its many clones (Rift...etc). To not call this a clone, is just admitting exactly how blind you are. The dev even said he wanted to copy aspects of wow

- Character Development. You begin your development at level 1 not at the end cap level.

- In SWTOR "The Real Game" starts at level 1. Most MMO's the real game doesnt start until end-cap. You just said the same thing twice.

- Immersive game play and environments. The world is standing still, I don't recall seeing that when I walk outside.

- SWTOR killed "the Grind" that plagues so many MMO's. Just because it has someone talking before doesn't make it less of a grind, theres 4 types of quests, fetch 5 items, kill 30 people, blow up 4 pc's, kill boss

- Fluid Combat with clashing Lightsabers! How is hitting a move and it happening 2 seconds later fluid, please explain

- In SWTOR the leveling process is FUN and not a chore. You basically said this twice as well with the grind thing, but you're still wrong this time too

- Voice-Acted questing. Incredibly well done. I'll give you this one

- Smooth Launch! Fairly unusual in this business but BW pulled it off. Not even remotely smooth tbh, servers didn't crash thats about it, way rushed.

- If its this good at launch, imagine SWTOR in a year! AMAZING!

this isn't a reason

So 2/10. Just like this game.

Fanboys, *puke*

Leveling is more boring than WoW, IMO.

****. That's absolute BS. This defending WoW crap is getting real, real old. When will you lot just do one back to WoW for god sake.

Go and play with your pandas go on, JOG ON!

Because this game is 2004 WoW with a space skin. WoW is currently a superior game, and I haven't played in 3 years. I want SWTOR to succeed, but it wont if all these dumb fanboys are plugging their ears and telling anyone with criticism to go back to WoW. I'm sure BW appreciates your blind, sheeplike behaviour, fanboy.

Stoped reading right there.....

You must be some lvl 2 character posting on the forum.

I have a level 50, and there was zero grind. Wanna know why? Cause grind is a matter of opinion. To me, Grind is when you have to go around killing a bunch of stuff just to level up so you can actually do the next set of quests, cause you ran out of quests and can't level up any more without just going around killing random mobs till you level up. To me that is grinding. Having Quests to complete, and killing things that are on the way to completing the quest is not a grind to me.

With that being said, WoW was the first game to get rid of grinding.

Name one reputable person that thought this game would sell 3-4 million copies in its launch? Cant? Thought so. It has already broken launch sales records for MMO's. Bioware said they hoped for 500,000. They just hit over 2 million.

Too bad the pre-release forums got deleted, or I could point you to post after post. But, alas, no.

ANd by the way, I don't consider you, for example, to be any more "reputable" than any of the other tens of thousands of members here. What I look at are the facts with which you support your opinion.

You present positive reviews (Warhammer had great reviews right after release) and statistics provided by a source that guesstimates numbers based on polling samples as your back-up for "TOR is doing better than expected." Better than who expected?

- Story Driven MMO. People are simply tired of WoW and its many clones (Rift...etc).

- Character Development. You begin your development at level 1 not at the end cap level.

- In SWTOR "The Real Game" starts at level 1. Most MMO's the real game doesnt start until end-cap.

- Immersive game play and environments.

- SWTOR killed "the Grind" that plagues so many MMO's.

- Fluid Combat with clashing Lightsabers!

- In SWTOR the leveling process is FUN and not a chore.

- Voice-Acted questing. Incredibly well done.

- Smooth Launch! Fairly unusual in this business but BW pulled it off.

- If its this good at launch, imagine SWTOR in a year! AMAZING!

Agreed.

There is no grinding in this game.

I never had to keep repeating any missions, send companions out constantly, kill 40 of X mob. Plus, I get social points for everything I do so it's not like I have to group just to grind that or legacy points.

I would also like to point out to the haters that this was the smoothest launch in history.

Staggered launch and long three hour ques with a forum of angry customers minus customer support can not be seen as anything less than perfection.

Fluid combat is an understatement! This combat on this game is like...MORTAL KOMBAT!

No delays when I click a button. On the fourth try that is. After my sheild didn't go off when I clicked. Marvelous!

Oh...AND THE ENVIROMENTS! Oh Jedi Jesus!

Never have I seen such ambience. Between the cloned Orbital Stations, Landing pads and bases to the mobs that just sit there like they are waiting for me to kill them! Never in a long, long time ago in a galatic galaxy far far away would I have pictured this!

And oh! Alas, imagine SWTOR in a year! All the bugs might be fixed, such as the one where I go to Eternity Vault and die, then I try to go back in and it kills me instantly! Or the one where male Twi'leks have all the colors and the females don't! Or the one where I force leap through the world.

Imagine...a whole year!

Edited by Tiaa