The reasons this game is doing so well and better than expected.

Klarick

All MMos hail their launch as hugely succesful. they go f2p shortly after. Expect the same here.

Hate to burst the bubble, but even with some of the haters that have been on the forums lately, they want to see the game succeed, in which means, I don't think it's going F2P anytime soon.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game is doing well and will continue to do well, because the other MMO out there isn't doing anything. If WoW didn't throw away the last raid so that every moron can do it in 2 hours, people wouldn't be jumping ships like cockroaches.

Oh now you've done it...see, you can't say stuff like this, it pisses fanbois off immensely. It's so easy to take potshots at other games but when it comes to the 'other game', you're not allowed to look at the man behind the curtain. They really hate when you point this stuff out.

And I say this as someone who loves playing this game and will also buy MoP.

- Fluid Combat with clashing Lightsabers!

Not sure if serious.

Swtor probably has some of the worst combat in any mmo the ability delay just completely destroys it especially in pvp when i force choke somebody i want it too work not delay and see the shadow jedi stealth and get away.

Not sure if serious.

Swtor probably has some of the worst combat in any mmo the ability delay just completely destroys it especially in pvp when i force choke somebody i want it too work not delay and see the shadow jedi stealth and get away.

Yes I have read aboujt the delay. I play a Marauder, an Inquisitor, and a Smuggler. I haven't seen the delay personally. And am glad that I haven't. It would appear that a number of people have and I understand that Bioware is looking into the problem.

But, for me, and many like me that hasnt seen this ability delay, the combat is very fluid and extremely fun. I do alot of PvP as well and do quite well as the Warrior. So, yes I am serious. Our gaming experience is not the same, I hope yours is fixed so you can enjoy this at the same level as I do.

I am really enjoying SWTOR and the lack of Grind.

Sure there is still "Collect 5 rats tails", but it cleverly integrated into the Story.

You can level up by just completing the Class Story and World Missions alone.

No need to fill in between missions with Grind XP. :p

Yes I have read aboujt the delay. I play a Marauder, an Inquisitor, and a Smuggler. I haven't seen the delay personally. And am glad that I haven't. It would appear that a number of people have and I understand that Bioware is looking into the problem.

But, for me, and many like me that hasnt seen this ability delay, the combat is very fluid and extremely fun. I do alot of PvP as well and do quite well as the Warrior. So, yes I am serious. Our gaming experience is not the same, I hope yours is fixed so you can enjoy this at the same level as I do.

The ability delay is definitely real. Just watch your gcds, if the gcd is finished, you should be able to execute another ability. Sometimes you can't, because your toon is not finished animating the previous one. This seems to be much more noticeable in faster paced combat - I don't run into it much just tooling around solo killing stuff, but definitely do in flashpoints.

- It's still a grind only covered up by voice acting

- Combat is not fluid in case you missed the 3 huge combat delay threads that even Bioware acknowledges exists.

Dingdingding! We have a winner!

The only thing the OP said that is true is that the launch was smooth.

By now we all know about the numerous Game of the Year awards already won by SWTOR, and we have either read reviews, or heard on TV (like G4TV), just how awesome this game is. We also know that SWTOR has broken the record for pre-order sales and has set a bar that is darn near unreachable by most developers. We get it. The game rocks. But why? What did Bioware accomplish that has this game skyrocketing so quickly?

- Story Driven MMO. People are simply tired of WoW and its many clones (Rift...etc).

- Character Development. You begin your development at level 1 not at the end cap level.

- In SWTOR "The Real Game" starts at level 1. Most MMO's the real game doesnt start until end-cap.

- Immersive game play and environments.

- SWTOR killed "the Grind" that plagues so many MMO's.

- In SWTOR the leveling process is FUN and not a chore.

- Voice-Acted questing. Incredibly well done.

- Smooth Launch! Fairly unusual in this business but BW pulled it off.

- If its this good at launch, imagine SWTOR in a year! AMAZING!

I am really enjoying SWTOR and the lack of Grind.

Sure there is still "Collect 5 rats tails", but it cleverly integrated into the Story.

There is a mission on Tatooine to collect womp rat skulls. You turn in the mission to a drop box and get no cutscene and no completion text other than a choice of rewards.

How is that "integrated into the story"?

Even when it's "integrated" into the story, that "integration" tends to be nothing more than a speed bump - an obstacle you need to pass to proceed.

Oh, wait, so I'm not in the same chain of command as this stupid sith chick and I have no reason to help you guys or to even care if she's better at killing "thing X" than I am, but I get these clever "integrated" mission goals to beat her at the killing race. Now, why I'm suddenly in competition with this person I've never seen before and why I would give a damn if she wins, I don't know. But it sure is "integrated".

The ability delay is definitely real. Just watch your gcds, if the gcd is finished, you should be able to execute another ability. Sometimes you can't, because your toon is not finished animating the previous one. This seems to be much more noticeable in faster paced combat - I don't run into it much just tooling around solo killing stuff, but definitely do in flashpoints.

I do, for sure, believe it is real for some people. Just as video glitches, loading problems and low FPS is for others. I'm just saying it doesnt affect me at all. My Abilities fire-off exactly when I want them to without any delay at all.

Edited by Klarick

- Combat is not fluid in case you missed the 3 huge combat delay threads that even Bioware acknowledges exists.

Most of that's been fixed for people with bad tech specs. The rest is being cleared up as we speak. Combat is really fluid once you get your specs worked out.

Lets be realistic here, this game is Mass Effect online skinned with Star Wars. There is nothing special/revolutionary. Of course its the quality game we expect from BioWare, but people dont play Mass Effect/KOTOR 2+ months. Since all classes go through the same thing except their specific story which is just 50 feet away from another's story instance, the only real "new experience" is playing republic side then Empire.

By now we all know about the numerous Game of the Year awards already won by SWTOR, and we have either read reviews, or heard on TV (like G4TV), just how awesome this game is. We also know that SWTOR has broken the record for pre-order sales and has set a bar that is darn near unreachable by most developers. We get it. The game rocks. But why? What did Bioware accomplish that has this game skyrocketing so quickly?

- Story Driven MMO. People are simply tired of WoW and its many clones (Rift...etc).

- Character Development. You begin your development at level 1 not at the end cap level.

- In SWTOR "The Real Game" starts at level 1. Most MMO's the real game doesnt start until end-cap.

Talk about having your head buried in the sand lol

Any star wars MMO was going to sell well but box sales mean nothing for an MMO. It's all about who keeps subscribing after the free month expires and that time is not upon us yet so let's all just wait and see. Must admit its looking very bleak.

You're soo full of crap its not even funny. Name two mmos with smoother gameplay.

World of Warcraft, Champions Online, DCUO, Forsaken World, Dragon Nest... are you kidding me? That wasn't even hard. I've given you five and I could probably give you more.

Lets be realistic here, this game is Mass Effect online skinned with Star Wars. There is nothing special/revolutionary. Of course its the quality game we expect from BioWare, but people dont play Mass Effect/KOTOR 2+ months. Since all classes go through the same thing except their specific story which is just 50 feet away from another's story instance, the only real "new experience" is playing republic side then Empire.

Oh, if it was only Mass Effect Online.

I don't think BioWare wants to give their baby to BioWare: Austin... and I think we all have figured out why by now. :/

World of Warcraft, Champions Online, DCUO, Forsaken World, Dragon Nest... are you kidding me? That wasn't even hard. I've given you five and I could probably give you more.

Yeah for all its flaws dcuo had very fluid gameplay and loved the combat system. It lacked content but from what i hear its doing amazingly well as F2P.

People talk Grind on these forums. Go and play a grind game like Lineage II or Similar and come back and you will know Grind.

Like I said earlier. In SWTOR you can level up by just completing the Class Story and World Missions alone.

A real Grind game has 1x mission per level, and you have to Farm Mobs to get to the next mission.

... maybe I just got burnt with Lineage II ... this is heaven :p

People talk Grind on these forums. Go and play a grind game like Lineage II or Similar and come back and you will know Grind.

Like I said earlier. In SWTOR you can level up by just completing the Class Story and World Missions alone.

A real Grind game has 1x mission per level, and you have to Farm Mobs to get to the next mission.

... maybe I just got burnt with Lineage II ... this is heaven :p

Final fantasy online although good imo was another example of grind, well was before group sync and some quests, but yes that was true grind imo.

Edited by TheFugitive

While I do like the game and the game is fun, Im not one who likes false pats on the back or mickey mouse awards just because you showed up to the game.

First ToR's IP story is not there own. And if you you've done all the classes you would realize some of the stories better thought out then others and some are just all out lame. My 9 yr old can do a better story with less plot holes. And anyone who makes alts will already be space-baring at least 70% of the content or not doing the quest at all due to already doing it the first time. No points here.

Point for Bioware on this one. While some story lines are that great and some of the response DO NOT match what you intend to say. Most of it is entertaining(The first time around).

Last i checked any game, once you hit the play button your playing the game.. This is no different then WoW, you don't see end game content till you are cap level. The big difference is in this game you get wtfroflstomped in pvp at low levels.. negative points for failed pvp.

I'm sure it would be more immersive if not for the many issues I stated below. And as for the environment, sorry they really need to learn the balance between sandbox and themepark. this game doesn't have that. the environment is way to restrictive for my long term taste. Points here, while it does have issues, the beauty and game style is there.

What?? you mean the womp rat parts i collected on Tattoonie. or the countless other relic items or the 100 fighters i had to kill on that one space mission. yep, no grind here.. No points.

points for the combat visuals. NOT the mechanics. half point.

Its kind of hard for it to be a chore when it can be done in a single day... no point. because there is NO challenge.

yes, you obviously listen to music or watch TV while playing or you don't hear how badly some of it is. Go do smuggler for example. When you get on the ship, you have this future companion named Risha, there is a scene were she is talking in her current voice, you click your response and now its like 4 levels lower then you click again its back to normal then click again and its low.. yeah great voice acting. BUT there is a lot of good acting done. Point for Bioware.

the over populated server queues, the 2 hour wait times. the crashes, the none functioning chat systems, loot mechanisms, the blue screens, the black screens. the freezing during loading, the over sharded zones. and the CUSTOMER SERVICE that was not there... Negative points x2.

The promise of a game that was ready to be launched. Can you say; SWG all over again. I was in 2 beta's and there FFA beta, none of the known issues from September that I wrote up and many others agreed was an issue was not fixed. negative points.

BUT, the game has potental. I have hopes that Bioware will recover. But I wont hold my breath.

While I do like the game and the game is fun, Im not one who likes false pats on the back or mickey mouse awards just because you showed up to the game.

First ToR's IP story is not there own. And if you you've done all the classes you would realize some of the stories better thought out then others and some are just all out lame. My 9 yr old can do a better story with less plot holes. And anyone who makes alts will already be space-baring at least 70% of the content or not doing the quest at all due to already doing it the first time. No points here.

Point for Bioware on this one. While some story lines are that great and some of the response DO NOT match what you intend to say. Most of it is entertaining(The first time around).

Last i checked any game, once you hit the play button your playing the game.. This is no different then WoW, you don't see end game content till you are cap level. The big difference is in this game you get wtfroflstomped in pvp at low levels.. negative points for failed pvp.

I'm sure it would be more immersive if not for the many issues I stated below. And as for the environment, sorry they really need to learn the balance between sandbox and themepark. this game doesn't have that. the environment is way to restrictive for my long term taste. Points here, while it does have issues, the beauty and game style is there.

What?? you mean the womp rat parts i collected on Tattoonie. or the countless other relic items or the 100 fighters i had to kill on that one space mission. yep, no grind here.. No points.

points for the combat visuals. NOT the mechanics. half point.

Its kind of hard for it to be a chore when it can be done in a single day... no point. because there is NO challenge.

yes, you obviously listen to music or watch TV while playing or you don't hear how badly some of it is. Go do smuggler for example. When you get on the ship, you have this future companion named Risha, there is a scene were she is talking in her current voice, you click your response and now its like 4 levels lower then you click again its back to normal then click again and its low.. yeah great voice acting. BUT there is a lot of good acting done. Point for Bioware.

the over populated server queues, the 2 hour wait times. the crashes, the none functioning chat systems, loot mechanisms, the blue screens, the black screens. the freezing during loading, the over sharded zones. and the CUSTOMER SERVICE that was not there... Negative points x2.

The promise of a game that was ready to be launched. Can you say; SWG all over again. I was in 2 beta's and there FFA beta, none of the known issues from September that I wrote up and many others agreed was an issue was not fixed. negative points.

BUT, the game has potental. I have hopes that Bioware will recover. But I wont hold my breath.

Nemrod is by far the most objective, least fanboi observer who is posting in these forums. Spot on mate.

Mickey Mouse awards for showing up LOL i love it!

How can a game win awards when it hasn't even been put to the test.....unbelievable fake hype out there.

More QQ than any other mmo at launch. Thousands of pages of pissed off customers, 90% of forum threads (made up statistic to make a point) are negative. user reviews give it mediocre at best. Critic reviews blast many features in the review text, but for some reason score it high.

Massively game of the year award admits that its based on hype and anticipation and does not mention any gameplay reasons....

Buggy, no replay value, still with problems reported in Beta, customer service is a joke, less features than games released 5 years ago.

I'm sure Swtor will be around in a year, I just dont think its going to be in the state the OP thinks it is.

My dreams of a ME MMO are rapidly becoming nightmares about what this lot would do that that IP if they tried to make an MMO of it.

Edited by Cameirus